Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Blue Star posted:

Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway? I mean, its okay I guess. But people act like its so brilliant and unique, but the books are pretty much like every other modern fantasy series. The problem is that everyone compares it to Tolkien who had Good vs Evil, so ASoIaF looks more nuanced in comparison. But poo poo, who the gently caress unironically writes about Dark Lords and perfect infallible good guys anymore? I dunno, maybe those are still being written, I actually dont read that much, LOL. But if they are still being written, they dont seem to be as popular. Nowadays everyone brags about how their stories have shades of grey and more complicated conflicts where nobody is pure good or evil, and everythings all gritty and realistic and absolutely no "Dark Lords" or perfect elves. Thats what it seems like, anyway. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

It's supposed to have lots of rape in it and men fantasy fans really love that for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HIJK posted:

It's supposed to have lots of rape in it and men fantasy fans really love that for some reason.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Max has probably been pouring over all the comments on youtube about him in the videos. Maybe he'll tone it down....or crank it to 11 for a gently caress you moment :shrug: ?

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Joe Rogan is a sub par comedian who does stuff with MMA.
-Jack

Jack is almost at top tier RLM rank.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind Landis at all and I tihnk if you dislike him you're a homophobe

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a bone to pick posted:

I'm gay, Max Landis is straight, and the only correct opinion is that that cocksucker is a goddamn human being.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a bone to pick posted:

he's a social tryhard and is probably exhausting to be around

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cersei is the only one left I'm rooting for. They really bungled the casting for the ned kids imo, they're just not very good

I mean, we go from Sean Bean to following three wimps

I want Cersei to win. Or for the world to end

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why is everybody saying "crank it to 11" all on a sudden

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Zzulu posted:

Cersei is the only one left I'm rooting for. They really bungled the casting for the ned kids imo, they're just not very good

I mean, we go from Sean Bean to following three wimps

I want Cersei to win. Or for the world to end

I want a super-inbred Lannister-Baratheon crossbreed to appear, a Bannister let's call it, and it leads to 3 and a half years of peace followed by internecine wars led by the royal lump of gritstle's enemies for the next 200 years, and then GRRM can just hand it off to other writers like he did with Wild Cards.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's fairly well made but the script is DOGSHIT. Some of the worst dialogue ever and Hiddleston gives his most phoned-in performance.

I'd totally :effort: my acting for a Kong movie. If there's one ancient cultural touchstone that deserved to fall into the public domain it's King Kong.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why do we gotta stick with an ape in our "giant creature" movies

Can't we get like... A giant budgie or a huge pug just tearing cities up

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Why do we gotta stick with an ape in our "giant creature" movies

Can't we get like... A giant budgie or a huge pug just tearing cities up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0DKTM41r1s

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

a bone to pick posted:

Do you know that sometimes people just find people kind of irritating and there's no deep reason to it? People in this thread always say stuff like "people who don't like Jack/Josh hate him because they are just like him" which is such a bizarre leap of logic and weirdly defensive like they're taking it personally. People have different tastes and maybe Max Landis (or Jack or Josh) just isn't everybody's kind of person.

He reads less gay to me than he does bipolar anyway. I don't hate the guy but I can fully understand why he annoys people because he's a bit much at times.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought he wasnt gay

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I said that about Josh once, tongue-in-cheek. I can't stand the guy.

But man, if there's a goon in that group, it's him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

powerful sex moves posted:

He reads less gay to me than he does bipolar anyway. I don't hate the guy but I can fully understand why he annoys people because he's a bit much at times.

Yea, I get it too, but posts like this are ridiculous:

boner confessor posted:

he's a social tryhard and is probably exhausting to be around

"Social tryhard" is just the gooniest insult I've ever seen. "Ugh, you try to be social with people!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Max is just a Jack cranked up to 11. In order to fully tolerate Max Landis you have to dip your toes in slowly, by gradually watching more and more Pre Rec.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People complain about anime or Star Wars chat, but anything is preferable to the same loving conversation about which RLM Boy you don't like over and over again for a million loving years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Guy Goodbody posted:

People complain about anime or Star Wars chat, but anything is preferable to the same loving conversation about which RLM Boy you don't like over and over again for a million loving years.

Whatever you say, Josh

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Max is just a Jack cranked up to 11. In order to fully tolerate Max Landis you have to dip your toes in slowly, by gradually watching more and more Pre Rec.

That's really harsh on Jack.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't pout just because this thread doesn't share your love of Josh cummies

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i love all the rlm boys equally especially jessi

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is it sort of fair to make that same comparison with Alan Moore's Watchmen? In the mid-80s or so, the deconstruction of flawed heroes, all of them having big hang-ups, how the heroes are really bad guys, twist endings, etc. was unique, but as time rolled on and everyone started incorporating themes like that into their comics and even in non-comics media. I'm sure people looking at Watchmen today for the first time see everything from the extremely comic book-styled layout to some of the plot developments as a "so what's so great about this?" because it's all been done several times by several forms of media, or done better.

Even with all that acclaim Watchmen gets for some of its direction and being a forerunner, didn't Marvel already do something a bit similar to some of that with Hank Pym in the 70s as a character who started out as as a hero and was gradually showing signs of instability and (self)destructive and abusive behavior?

Actually, there is sort of one thing about Watchmen that in recent years I've found extremely fascinating that perhaps doesn't get mentioned enough: The social attitude in Watchmen from most people that heroes are the real villains. In the story, that's a theme. The public considers masked vigilantes and superheroes to be terrors and menaces probably worse than the criminals they've fought. In the real world, today, that has been such a growing narrative in media and pop culture commentary and deconstruction of just about every superhero film, too. All superheroes are actually evil, racist, fascists, useless, etc. Sometimes the films even bring this up, sometimes they don't.

I don't think so. To be honest I remember when I tried getting into comics a few years back and I made the error of starting with Watchmen. It was only downward from there, in terms of the quality of writing, pacing, tone, world building, character development and closure Watchmen is so far beyond most other comics its embarrassing. Its not just about it being 'dark' or 'gritty' or whatever, the comic still does things that would be almost unheard of in most of today's comics. Rorschach and Nite owl are good examples, Nite Owl is a paunchy middle aged nerdlinger with erectile dysfunction, he's hopelessly uncool in a way that they'd never let a character like Batman be. Likewise Rorschach is imo really well written when you look beyond the 'You're trapped in here with me!' stuff everybody remembers with him. Really that's just kind of a veneer, he a developmentally stunted nutcase conspiracist who spends most of his time terrorising harmless old men and missing important clues, I still love that reveal when his mask gets pulled off and you see he's actually that gawky ginger who stomps up and down New York with the end is nigh placard. Again, that kind of deflating of the heroic mystique is still so strange to see, can you imagine them doing something similar to the Punisher or anyone?

The use of panel layout and odd ways of worldbuilding still set it apart. Adverts, magazine articles, excerpts from (awfully well written) fictional autobiography. It just comes together to be so much more grounded than other comics. If you asked me I'd say the Dark Knight Returns is more a case of new people reading it and wondering what the big deal is, that really laid down the groundwork for the dark and gritty stuff for years to come while not really being able to stand on its own outside of the context of its time.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

i love all the rlm boys equally especially jessi

dem chesticles

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Guy Goodbody posted:

Disagree.

1. Mike
2. Rich
3. Collin
4. Gillian
5. Jay/Jessi
6. Len Kabasinski
7. Jack/Large Canadian
8. Max Landis
9. Freddie Williams 2
[Space reserved for every other guest, past and future]
X. Josh

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Why does Gillian get such a high ranking? I mean, she's fine and all, but above Jay/Jessi?

E: VVV Fair enough, also I love your av.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 19, 2017

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Her HitB performance won me over.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Why does Gillian get such a high ranking? I mean, she's fine and all, but above Jay/Jessi?

E: VVV Fair enough, also I love your av.

She's gayer for Jay than this thread which wins her lots of goon points.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Captain Lavender posted:

Disagree.

1. Mike
2. Rich
3. Collin
4. Gillian
5. Jay/Jessi
6. Len Kabasinski
7. Jack/Large Canadian
8. Max Landis
9. Freddie Williams 2
[Space reserved for every other guest, past and future]
X. Josh

Man, I can't keep track of who all these peopel are. Collin is small Canadian? Who is Gillian?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Collin is small Canadian, yes. Gillian is their friend from Texas, she was in Feeding Frenzy, and one ep each of HitB and Botw (Crazy Fat Ethel 2, Psycho from Texas)

And upon review, I put Jessi with or right above her. Wampa Lord was right.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Good list in that case. Except I'd switch Josh and Max Landis.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

And upon review, I put Jessi with or right above her. Wampa Lord was right.

A Good List.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Grevling posted:

Who is Gillian?

I'll let THIS video explain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKS75xb18UM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gillian totally wants to gently caress jay, she's the living embodiment of this thread

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Jaysexuality is so last year

Jack is Daddy now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gillian may want that twink boipuss but that poo poo is for men only

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Watching Rogue One and Ghostbusters 2016 for the first time because I hate myself. Rogue One was worse than I expected, currently watching Ghostbusters. So far it sounds like it had a one page script that just said: IMPROV EVERYTHING.

gently caress movies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mng posted:

Watching Rogue One and Ghostbusters 2016 for the first time because I hate myself. Rogue One was worse than I expected, currently watching Ghostbusters. So far it sounds like it had a one page script that just said: IMPROV EVERYTHING.

gently caress movies.

I'm sure that it probably had a real script with real jokes that Feig threw out the second he realized he could just say "Do something funny!" instead and roll 800 hours of footage and find a movie in editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mng posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Sam Raimi probably could have done GB2016 with the same concept and actually made it work and MAYBE even instantly stopped all the initial reaction of those who were critical of the idea of the all-female team concept before it became a talking point.

edit: I'll say this about Batman v. Superman having not seen in since it came out in theaters: I bet if I watched that movie with no dialogue and no sound effects and only musical backing like it were silent film, it'd be a lot better. You're sort of free to fill in the plot and dialogue and motivations in your head. A 2.5 hour AMV.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread