Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tenebrais posted:

Worth noting that even in that video a Pharah was about to come in to land on the point.

If you managed to do a total lockout for the first round as defence it makes sense to, at least to start with, have a total dive comp to just land on the point immediately.

The Pharah booped the red team junkrat off the point, which is what allowed the backcap. So it wasn't even Sombra that got the cap, it was Pharah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Backcapping is a proud TF2 tradition, and Scout and Spy each shed a single tear of pride when they saw their legacy continued.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Bolivar posted:

At lower ranks you could probably do it with an "ambitious" Zenyatta.

I've capped a point by just floating to it as Zen in plat

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zenyatta is the true master of stealth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Zenyatta is the true master of stealth.

Zenyatta is the best flanker, because he makes no sound when he moves. :ninja:

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Bastion is the worst, god drat

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

that's not the whole thing though, one team got smoked so hard they didn't get any percentage at all
if you are in that situation on defense you have to sit your rear end on the point, which is fine and fair, because you already got super duper outplayed when you were on offense.

This is a little too extreme. 1 pip on the point would make more sense than literally just touching it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why? The enemy team failed to touch it at all, it makes sense that they should lose if the other team does.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why? Death to draws.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Why? The enemy team failed to touch it at all, it makes sense that they should lose if the other team does.

Because it's incredibly exploitable, as shown in that Sombra clip.

One team gets to put up a solid defense while the other, because they were stomped at a choke, have to play out of position and babysit the point to keep 1 flanker from literally touching it once.

It's like introducing an extra rule for one team.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
But if the other, while they were getting stomped at a choke, had a flanker like that Sombra, a Pharah, genji tracer etc. go touch the point it'd have the same effect. Both teams are able to win through a small amount of cap, it's not something that just applies to one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Winning in a point capture game should involve holding on the point for at least a little while, regardless of the other team's performance. It allows a window for counterplay. Making it require 1/3 of the capture wouldn't suddenly bring back 40 minute draws.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dyz posted:

regardless of the other team's performance.
Why should this be regardless of how bad they do?

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

IronicDongz posted:

But if the other, while they were getting stomped at a choke, had a flanker like that Sombra, a Pharah, genji tracer etc. go touch the point it'd have the same effect. Both teams are able to win through a small amount of cap, it's not something that just applies to one.

But this is sub-optimal play in the first round of the game, for the first attacking team. It's not a good thing for a flanker to just touch the point once, completely disregarding the rest of the team fights. The team that has someone do that isn't necessarily the better team, or played better, or deserving of the win. Doing it just as a 'just in case your team can't make it to the point' doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, only as a gaming the rules-as-written.

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 19, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dyz posted:

It's not "exploitable" to win because you did better than the other guy, which is exactly what that single touch measures.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't make sense as something to do at the start of the first round, but it does make sense as a hail mary when there's 20 seconds on the clock and your team hasn't even reached the point yet.

For some reason I am finding it hard to dislike this change when the criticisms are "but then people would have to play on the objective!". If anything this is just highlighting how poo poo the maps are when it comes to capture point A. Where the point itself is mostly indefensible, so the defending instead happens at a narrow chokepoint with no flank routes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Doing it just as a 'just in case your team can't make it to the point' doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, only as a gaming the rules-as-written.
What does this last bit even mean? The rules-as-written is what makes the gameplay. There is no "gameplay perspective" outside of "gaming" the rules, playing to best win under the rules that exist is playing to win via gameplay.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TheMaskedUgly posted:

But this is sub-optimal play in the first round of the game, for the first attacking team. It's not a good thing for a flanker to just touch the point once, completely disregarding the rest of the team fights. The team that has someone do that isn't necessarily the better team, or played better, or deserving of the win. Doing it just as a 'just in case your team can't make it to the point' doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, only as a gaming the rules-as-written.
I don't think I've ever captured Eichenwalde point A without playing a character that can bypass the choke bullshit and going straight to point anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think I've ever captured Eichenwalde point A without playing a character that can bypass the choke bullshit and going straight to point anyway.

There is also this. Starting a capture to split the enemy team's attention so that your team can rush the choke 5v4 or better is already a very common strategy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dyz posted:

One team gets to put up a solid defense while the other, because they were stomped at a choke, have to play out of position and babysit the point to keep 1 flanker from literally touching it once.

It's like introducing an extra rule for one team.

if you literally never touched the control point once for the entire round, you've earned your much harder defense round. that's not exploiting anything. the other team left one guy on the point in spite of the loss condition (which, to be fair, they probably didn't understand at the time since it's new). they lost because they didn't play the objective; the sombra didn't exploit anything but the other team's incompetence

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you literally never touched the control point once for the entire round, you've earned your much harder defense round. that's not exploiting anything. the other team left one guy on the point in spite of the loss condition (which, to be fair, they probably didn't understand at the time since it's new). they lost because they didn't play the objective; the sombra didn't exploit anything but the other team's incompetence
Yeah, I think it'll honestly just bring about a slight change in tactics once people adjust to the new quirk and it'll end up being better. At worst, there will be a very slight advantage given to the team that defends first, but any time you're having teams take turns you're going to play slightly differently based on what happened in the previous round and I don't think there's much of a way around it. Worst case, if you start seeing a large statistical change in the number of wins based on who does what first, you can start tweaking a few things until they're roughly even again, but I don't think it'll have that much of an effect.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

innovative new overwatch strategy tech (exploit???): touching the objective helps you win the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jeza posted:

Got an Ana PotG :sun:

I wish I could get more of these, I have the Sleep highlight animation and the creepy New Year costume!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's a little silly that losing badly enough means that you now have to play by a slightly different and harder set of rules than your opponent got.

It's still better than endless draws.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The rules are the same. Your opponents must have been shutting out the point just as much.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There is also this. Starting a capture to split the enemy team's attention so that your team can rush the choke 5v4 or better is already a very common strategy.

I still laugh when people complain about Eichenwalde A. Sure only a couple classes can bypass the chokepoint, but it's not like people can ban those classes for the match.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I had a busy weekend and just saw the Lucio changes... well the direct port of him from Heroes of the Storm. Which I'm cool with since I have an 80% win rate with him in it. :getin:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Had a great 3v1 elimination where I beat a Reinhardt, dva and roadhog as tracer with two sticky bombs and killing roadhog during his ultimate in the last 0.0 seconds

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm excited for the first 72 hours of comp being entirely decided by silver players not knowing how these changes work lol

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Lucio looks fun, i'll be honest with the sheer amount of games that have come out in the last 3 months, overwatch has been my last priority.

I might switch to pc soon. but eh, I don't take the game seriously enough to care to do that.

I also wanna see how orisa plays, so that should be cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me really likes the wall riding change but I prefer to speed boost/heal my team. The aura sizes before let me kinda scoot away from my team for a moment to try and boop people off the map or speed boost respawning teammates back to the choke/point while still healing which isn't something I'll be able to do anymore.

I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot of poo poo Lucio players bouncing all over the walls trying to 1v1 Tracers or whatever on the other half of the map while your team gets stomped.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Fabricated posted:

Part of me really likes the wall riding change but I prefer to speed boost/heal my team. The aura sizes before let me kinda scoot away from my team for a moment to try and boop people off the map or speed boost respawning teammates back to the choke/point while still healing which isn't something I'll be able to do anymore.

I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot of poo poo Lucio players bouncing all over the walls trying to 1v1 Tracers or whatever on the other half of the map while your team gets stomped.

If a lovely lucio player was all that was keeping them alive it likely wasn't gonna turn out well either way.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If the winning team did so well on defense that the opposing team didn't touch the point, they probably don't need a mechanic that lets them win in less than 30 seconds without fighting. You seem to be so hung up on who "earned" what you're forgetting about how it affects gameplay.

Making it require 1 pip gives the defenders a bigger window for counterplay instead of babysitting the point all game long. Hell, it gives them an actual window for counterplay instead of what is essentially an automatic loss. The game will play out normally instead of becoming a game of flankers trying to tag the point.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dyz posted:

Making it require 1 pip gives the defenders a bigger window for counterplay instead of babysitting the point all game long. Hell, it gives them an actual window for counterplay instead of what is essentially an automatic loss.

It's not actually an automatic loss though, the chance for counterplay is still there, and if anyone seems hung up on this it's the people freaking out about Sombras instantly backcapping in a circumstance that's far less likely than the actual happens-all-the-time scenario of 2CP maps having to be played out four times in a row because it's a lovely gamemode that requires attackers to plow through an obnoxious all-or-nothing meatgrinder to take point B if they don't immediately snowball from the start.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dyz posted:

If the winning team did so well on defense that the opposing team didn't touch the point, they probably don't need a mechanic that lets them win in less than 30 seconds without fighting. You seem to be so hung up on who "earned" what you're forgetting about how it affects gameplay.

Making it require 1 pip gives the defenders a bigger window for counterplay instead of babysitting the point all game long. Hell, it gives them an actual window for counterplay instead of what is essentially an automatic loss. The game will play out normally instead of becoming a game of flankers trying to tag the point.

it affects the gameplay by saving me from playing more hanamura, so it's an objectively good change

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's so impossible to stop someone touching the point for a whole round then this problem shouldn't occur too often since the first team will also get some time. People will have to shift their playstyles to account for the fact that points are no longer so all or nothing, but I think that's a good thing. It discourages endless spam battles over the chokepoint and encourages players to hold or make moves on the point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The team the outperforms the other team is the better team and should win. How bad at games do you have to be to want a hard coded equalizer that allows inferior teams to force a draw due to an arbitrary lack of measurement? The new system seems like the perfect solution to many Control Point draw scenarios, outside of both teams successfully attacking, obviously.

It's also literally already in the game for payload maps. It's been there for a long time now. Were people crying about how the second attackers didn't have to push the payload as far if the first attackers sucked too?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chillhards went on a tear today, I think one of our guys gained 500 SR in one evening. We started out with me slumming it at the upper bound of plat and most of the team in gold and by the end I'd broken a new career high, Sadbot was like 15 MMR from diamond, a bunch of people hit plat and the game was matching us against teams with 4+ Diamond players. :toot:

I'm on my way to bed for now but I'll post some videos of it later.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Chillhards went on a tear today, I think one of our guys gained 500 SR in one evening. We started out with me slumming it at the upper bound of plat and most of the team in gold and by the end I'd broken a new career high, Sadbot was like 15 MMR from diamond, a bunch of people hit plat and the game was matching us against teams with 4+ Diamond players. :toot:

Must be a full moon tonight because I also had a really good night, going from 1980 to 2272 over the course of an 8 game win streak.

I can see plat!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

At some point I should dust back off and dig into comp again, I've heard good things about the chillhard crew so thanks for reminding me about that.