Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

James Gunn said on a podcast that Michael Rosenbaum has a key role in Guardians 2 and that he and Stallone's character work in a tandem and that they are characters important to the Marvel Universe.

Maybe Marvel was finally able to pry the rights from Fox so you have Stallone as Galactus and Rosenbaum as the Surfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe Marvel was finally able to pry the rights from Fox so you have Stallone as Galactus and Rosenbaum as the Surfer.

I'm calling it as Stallone as the beyonder.
Reason for him being Stallone will be people only perceive him how they want to and quill is fixated with the 80s.
Make it happen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

On paper, a stand alone Venom movie could be pretty good as a horror subversion of Super Hero movies. Average teenager gets mysterious powers from crashed spaceship/crashed space rock. Becomes superhero! Fights crime! Finds out that his suit is alive and likes to eat people! Finds out it's bonded to him and he can't make it leave! Play up the body horror angles and it would be neat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Popeahuntis posted:

Reason for him being Stallone will be people only perceive him how they want to and quill is fixated with the 80s.
Make it happen

Gonna be so disappointed now when the film comes out and I don't get to see Sly in the shirtless white disco suit and a perm dialled up to 11.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popeahuntis posted:

Make it happen
Nope I already beat you to that

I hope that happens and it's still that crazy rear end outfit

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Who the hell is clamoring for a Venom movie? Removed from the context of Spiderman there's not a damned thing interesting about him and even then he's not that great of a character. In fact, he's kind of lame.

Also, seconding Michael Shannon for Doom; or even Green Goblin if they get around to that again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, seconding Michael Shannon for Doom; or even Green Goblin if they get around to that again.

Shannon is like the one dude alive who could out-Willem Defoe Willem Defoe in that role.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

Who the hell is clamoring for a Venom movie? Removed from the context of Spiderman there's not a damned thing interesting about him and even then he's not that great of a character. In fact, he's kind of lame.

Sony is.

They almost had to sell off their film division this year because it was losing so much money.

There was a quote from a Sony Executive that the two things that were going to save the film division were:

1) The Emoji Movie
2) Marvel reinvigorating interest and trust in the Spider-Man brand with Homecoming and that would allow Sony to do the sequel by themselves and spin-off the other Marvel properties that they own (Venom, Carnage, a Silver Sable solo movie, Sinister Six, and an Aunt May prequel.) The Aunt May movie is probably dead now that she is in the MCU and too young to do the WWII spy theme they wanted.

These two things are supposed to help the studio get flush with cash, so they can finance bigger movies/talent and come roaring back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Aunt May movie is probably dead now that she is in the MCU and too young to do the WWII spy theme they wanted.

:psyduck:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I mean there's actually nothing inherently wrong with Sony trying to Avengers-ize their Spider-Man rights. Within Spider-Man there's probably dozens, if not hundreds, of heroes and villains and characters to utilize. And all have about the same public awareness as Iron Man before the RDJ movie came out (about none). Unfortunately for Sony they either put horrible people in charge of their projects or weigh down the producers/directors with so many mandates they just throw their hands in the air and say gently caress this poo poo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Would you rather have them adapt that sexy young Aunt May comic?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This article explains why Sony will never do a good job with the Spider-Man movies, citing some tech bro executive's clueless e-mail that was revealed during the big studio hack:

http://www.avclub.com/article/spider-man-should-be-snapchatting-edm-fan-accordin-218519

quote:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy who wrote that didn't work for Sony Pictures.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That physically​ hurts to read.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pee out my butt posted:

Mods please ban this filth for referencing that book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The guy who wrote that didn't work for Sony Pictures.

I get the impression too many Hollywood executives are just like this, and it's clear nobody at Sony is a Kevin Feige or even a Zack Snyder, with any kind of love for the characters or overarching creative vision.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like Venom comes from the same place as Gambit; both were super popular in the 90s, and they're trying to tap into nostalgia for them.

Feige's notes about Spider-Man 2 always make me laugh
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/kevin-feiges-notes-for-sony-on-the-amazing-spider-man-2-will-remind-a118916

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pee out my butt posted:

I want to believe you're making this up but in my heart of hearts I know you're probably not

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

I want to believe you're making this up but in my heart of hearts I know you're probably not

This isn't the worst part of it by a long shot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

By the way, that's sexy Aunt May about to bone Richard Parker, not Uncle Ben.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

By the way, that's sexy Aunt May about to bone Richard Parker, not Uncle Ben.

Oh so she wants the condom so she doesn't get knocked up by the wrong brother accidentally?

thisisfine.jpg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

That physically​ hurts to read.

"And who are the, erm, 'Sinister Six', I believe they're called?"

"I understand they're a popular beat combo, m'lud."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Isn't there also a one shot which revealed Peter is actually may and ben's kid from a teen pregnancy which got adopted by Richard and his wife in the first place?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't there also a one shot which revealed Peter is actually may and ben's kid from a teen pregnancy which got adopted by Richard and his wife in the first place?
Oh probably, I mean Marville got published so I'll believe anything

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
holy poo poo yes I was right

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

That's the same comic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I remember reading that and thinking "WTF this is awful" I didn't know who Mark Millar was back then...that explains it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mark Millar writing a teen romance book lmao

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

You're also wrong. In Trouble, May gets pregnant by Richard but thinks it's Ben's kid, until Ben says he's sterile. So she thinks about an abortion and suicide and all that, but then Mary and Richard say they'll adopt the kid and pretend it's theirs.

So Peter is actually Richard and May's kid, and May is his actual mom and not his aunt.

Marvel smartly ignored all that and said this series was its own thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

You're also wrong. In Trouble, May gets pregnant by Richard but thinks it's Ben's kid, until Ben says he's sterile. So she thinks about an abortion and suicide and all that, but then Mary and Richard say they'll adopt the kid and pretend it's theirs.

So Peter is actually Richard and May's kid, and May is his actual mom and not his aunt.

Marvel smartly ignored all that and said this series was its own thing.

So i guess the condom broke huh

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart fart fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 23, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

Mark Millar writing a teen romance book lmao

In fairness to Millar....(shudder.)

The series revolves around kids named Ben, Richard, May and Mary. The Parker name isn't in the book. It's just in a *nudge nudge, wink wink.* Kind of way.

They wanted to restart the Romance comic genre with a modern twist focusing on problems faced by teens, like pregnancy, how sex can make relationships complicated etc...

I mean, they failed horribly at it, but their goal wasn't "witness the untold story of Spider-man's CONCEPTION!"

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This article explains why Sony will never do a good job with the Spider-Man movies, citing some tech bro executive's clueless e-mail that was revealed during the big studio hack:

http://www.avclub.com/article/spider-man-should-be-snapchatting-edm-fan-accordin-218519

Mods please change my name to "Spidey thought"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Venom comes from the same place as Gambit; both were super popular in the 90s, and they're trying to tap into nostalgia for them.

Feige's notes about Spider-Man 2 always make me laugh
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/kevin-feiges-notes-for-sony-on-the-amazing-spider-man-2-will-remind-a118916

Feige's notes are really good and he nails some of the major problems the movie has in one viewing almost a year before it was even released.

I like that the only note that Sony took from him was to add the Itsy Bitsy Spider music and the one scene that Feige says is great ended up getting cut by Sony.

I can't remember the "dancing mortician" scene, so that one may have gotten cut too.

quote:

There are too many story lines and we need to choose which ones we are focusing on and lift out the other ones, ie; could reduce father arc to just Roosevelt?

Could cut out plane crash and Richard destroying spiders and start on armored car – don’t start with Spider-Man….let the danger/stakes to NYC build first and then have Spider-Man enter the scene heroically.

Tone down Paul Giamatti performance, so he seems a bit more menacing and less cartoonish.

If you cut Richard from the opening and the plane crash maybe you could instead do Harry coming home and seeing Norman at the top of the movie as a cold open.

Really love Electro – feels like you may not need the scene in his apartment, which makes him seems completely crazy and hard to relate too.

Like the idea that eel goes in his mouth and instead of burrowing, you see it glow within him…

Need to set up the Power Plant earlier, visually.

Seems like the movie switches pov’s a lot…why are we in Max’s pov during the car chase, worth looking at this playing out from Spidey’s pov.

There could be a better way to reveal that Peter is missing graduation – maybe when you cut Gwen you cut to the wide shot?

Tiny note – don’t think Peter would lie to Gwen about sirens --- maybe he just downplays it…

Stan Lee Cameo – maybe need a little more emphasis on Peter here trying to get out of his costume and not be in seen…set up a little more the pressure of the principal getting closer and closer to calling his name.

Instead of seeing the ghost of Captain Stacy, can just here the voice in Peter’s head and maybe flash back to the last movie? Don’t think we should add Cap Stacy back into car chase.

There is too much back and forth with Peter and Gwen – can we recut the Dim Sum scene so that it doesn’t feel so repetitive of their break-up in the last movie – Can Peter be more honorable and definitive and less wishy-washy?

Why do we need a year to pass…

Harry story feels like the main plot of the movie – Peter should look into the past b/c of Harry – maybe find some photos of them together as kids…use obsession wall more to set up this part of his past not just what happened to parents.

Not sure what Peter learns at Roosevelt is entirely correct. We’re distracted by the idea that Peter became Spider-Man b/c of his father’s blood --- all this special back story with his super-scientist dad fights with the idea that Peter is normal kid from Queens who becomes the greatest super-hero in the world…

Andrew’s performance is all over the place…a lot of crying and then a lot of mania. Hard to track him emotionally sometimes. It undermines his reaction to Gwen’s death b/c he gets upset and emotional a lot.

Don’t like the idea that May tells Peter his parents were spies b/c two seconds later he finds out they are not and it again fights with the idea that he’s an ordinary kid.

Like the idea that May finds out he’s Spider-Man – finds his costume instead of just the rosemary harris wink-wink all the time.

Kind of like the morgue, but hate the dancing mortician – cliché.

Are you using VFX to show how Electro is travelling from one point to another (bursts of electricity).

Need to underscore capture of goblin…more sirens as you linger on the clock 1;21, 1:22 am (nice touch).

Surveillance scene should be about following Harry not Peter…no one should be following Peter.

Can Electro hum Itsy-Bitsy Spider before he plays it electronically…maybe we can use this again.

Maybe intercut the ending montage and hearing Gwen’s speech with someone going into special projects and revealing more easter eggs and see that the rhino case has been broke into and the suit is missing…great way to transition to rhino ending.

Don’t need Aunt May in the kitchen.

Spider-man needs to feel more directly responsible for preventing the planes from crashing.

Don’t show New Yorkers looting.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh god, what does this mean for Mary Jane? She picked up that lingo by being around Aunt May's fuckcapades all the time?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Oh god, what does this mean for Mary Jane? She picked up that lingo by being around Aunt May's fuckcapades all the time?

It means That Aunt May is just a time travelling Mary Jane.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

quote:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

Dude who wrote that email:

He was the SVP of Strategic Insights and Research at MTV where he oversaw "Millennial insights" lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he wasn't wrong about 2/3 of that email. The electro EDM fight was one of the better scenes in the film, and tons of films do a Snapchat cross promotion now where they send you character stories or new filters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure he meant Snapchat should have been used as a plot point or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

I hope they also try to do Maximum Carnage, should be interesting to see how that works without Spiderman or 95% of the characters who have a cameo there.

• Locked thread