Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I am not an expert on business but wouldn't you not be able to oust someone who controls a majority share in the companies stocks? I mean this is comic book tv land so maybe it works differently than the real world

Literally everything they say about the amount of power Danny has in the company is completely wrong, he can pretty much tell everyone to gently caress off and do what ever the hell he wants with 51% of the company's stock. It's like Arrow levels of stupid and is frankly embarrassing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LeafyOrb posted:

Literally everything they say about the amount of power Danny has in the company is completely wrong, he can pretty much tell everyone to gently caress off and do what ever the hell he wants with 51% of the company's stock. It's like Arrow levels of stupid and is frankly embarrassing to watch.

More business chat: Seriously, Danny could literally walk into the board room, say "you're all fired. All in favor? Aye. 51% of the stockholders have voted in favor. Get the gently caress out of my building." This was honestly dumber than Daredevil asking Frank Castle one question while he was on the stand and going straight to his closing statement.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm glad that in the end Davos and Gao could find common ground in hating the idiot Danny Rand .

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Post-ep 6-related, but regarding Iron Fist's powers can't he use it or at least his chi to heal himself/people? Why didn't he use it on Gao's chemist?!

Also regarding the Hand Claire kept going on about how he didn't know poo poo about the Hand organization, but she did. Couldn't she have, oh I dunno, gotten Daredevil on the phone at least? Though I did love the Karaoke guy assassin intro when they were getting their 'get ready for a tournament!' montage

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

As Nero Danced posted:

Daredevil is a better Iron Fist than Danny, and he doesn't even know what the Iron Fist is.

Agreed. Danny Rand is Matt Murdoch stripped of all pathos or motivation, with poo poo fight choreography. He is an objectively less interesting and totally redundant version of a character Marvel already did better. They should've at least cast an Asian actor on this basis alone, so the Defenders can differentiate them on at least that.

i like tacos posted:

Just finished it. My review of the show is that it's the first Marvel Netflix season to remain consistent throughout the whole season. The only problem is that it's consistently boring and mediocre

Also agreed. I must hate myself for watching it in one weekend, but also: this was not good. It wasn't incompetent, but it was maddeningly loving lazy.

On a purely conceptual level, this is such a tone-deaf approach to the plot, setting, and characters. The other Defenders shows have unique themes even if they're imperfect. Luke Cage is about race, class, and the prison-industrial complex. Jessica Jones is about rape culture and trauma survival. Daredevil runs Batman themes of justice vs. vengeance by way of Catholic guilt. They're about *something* while his show is about nothing.

It could've been about so many things. The immigrant or biracial experience, if Danny was Asian or partly-Asian. Violence and masculinity, given he was a child soldier trained as a warrior. Privilege and wealth, given Danny is a white billionaire confronting street-level crime. Instead, we were given a pretty stupid character who isn't very good at martial arts, spends half the series in boardrooms and executive offices, and has magic fist erectile dysfunction at several points in 13 episodes.

I'll echo everyone else's point: these things would be forgivable if the action scenes were good. But they loving aren't. It's asinine that they'd make an Iron Fist show that 1) takes several episodes before the first remotely involved ninja fight, 2) barely shows the magic kung fu city where the hero learned to fight for 15 years, and 3) depicted who should be "the best martial artist in the world" as pretty lovely and routinely beaten by random mooks, mid-level bad guys, and some hospital orderlies. They had one job.

(Colleen was pretty good. Can she become the Iron Fist? That sounds better.)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Xealot posted:

Agreed. Danny Rand is Matt Murdoch stripped of all pathos or motivation, with poo poo fight choreography. He is an objectively less interesting and totally redundant version of a character Marvel already did better. They should've at least cast an Asian actor on this basis alone, so the Defenders can differentiate them on at least that.

Also agreed. I must hate myself for watching it in one weekend, but also: this was not good. It wasn't incompetent, but it was maddeningly loving lazy.

On a purely conceptual level, this is such a tone-deaf approach to the plot, setting, and characters. The other Defenders shows have unique themes even if they're imperfect. Luke Cage is about race, class, and the prison-industrial complex. Jessica Jones is about rape culture and trauma survival. Daredevil runs Batman themes of justice vs. vengeance by way of Catholic guilt. They're about *something* while his show is about nothing.

It could've been about so many things. The immigrant or biracial experience, if Danny was Asian or partly-Asian. Violence and masculinity, given he was a child soldier trained as a warrior. Privilege and wealth, given Danny is a white billionaire confronting street-level crime. Instead, we were given a pretty stupid character who isn't very good at martial arts, spends half the series in boardrooms and executive offices, and has magic fist erectile dysfunction at several points in 13 episodes.

I'll echo everyone else's point: these things would be forgivable if the action scenes were good. But they loving aren't. It's asinine that they'd make an Iron Fist show that 1) takes several episodes before the first remotely involved ninja fight, 2) barely shows the magic kung fu city where the hero learned to fight for 15 years, and 3) depicted who should be "the best martial artist in the world" as pretty lovely and routinely beaten by random mooks, mid-level bad guys, and some hospital orderlies. They had one job.

(Colleen was pretty good. Can she become the Iron Fist? That sounds better.)

why should they change the character to make him asian? thats pretty weird to want

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Episode 11 scene:

Can we talk somewhere private?
*goes to the other side of the desk they're standing on*

This loving show.
lol, that reminded me of one of the last fight scenes where they're in the office with guns out and everything, and the baddies say "just shoot the loving guy, he's not bulletproof" or whatever, and then they just let him run around on the other side of a glass pane without shooting him like some glitched-out videogame AI. This show has the dumbest loving logic in the universe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

lol, that reminded me of one of the last fight scenes where they're in the office with guns out and everything, and the baddies say "just shoot the loving guy, he's not bulletproof" or whatever, and then they just let him run around on the other side of a glass pane without shooting him like some glitched-out videogame AI. This show has the dumbest loving logic in the universe.

All the fight-scenes with guns were really bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ramadu posted:

why should they change the character to make him asian? thats pretty weird to want

Lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

magic fist erectile dysfunction

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Up to episode 5 and I think it's OK - not bad, but not great.
Why is 3/4 of the credits just endless executive producers?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Post-ep 6-related, but regarding Iron Fist's powers can't he use it or at least his chi to heal himself/people? Why didn't he use it on Gao's chemist?!

This gets covered later on.

quote:

Also regarding the Hand Claire kept going on about how he didn't know poo poo about the Hand organization, but she did. Couldn't she have, oh I dunno, gotten Daredevil on the phone at least? Though I did love the Karaoke guy assassin intro when they were getting their 'get ready for a tournament!' montage

This does not get covered later on.

All in all, I felt it was the weakest of the 4 Netflix shows, but it entertained me enough that I don't actively hate it like some people have stated. I take Danny at his base of "Dude was taken at the age of 10 and grew up in a secluded monestary where material poo poo means nothing, and the only true evil in the world is the Hand." He had no reason when coming back to figure that those who he was close to 15 years ago would grow up to be terrible, horrible people who only care about money and power (influential, not physical), because he grew up in a world where those two things were rendered moot. Of course he's gonna be naive as gently caress about it, he knows nothing else. I will say the fact that he wasn't instantly murking the mooks he was fighting was extremely disappointing, he should have had at least one scene like that 10 second film of the old Iron Fist just wrecking dudes for himself. Just bring on the Defenders, I hope being only 8 episodes instead of 13 will pare off some filler on these shows and also streamline the FX budgets so maybe Danny can blow up some more building floors by punching them.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think it says something that the big standout from this show is the supporting cast. Colleen should have been the lead and the whole show would have been so much stronger for it. Ward was great too.

This isn't so much based off the strengths of those actors and characters (though they were just fine in those roles) but more about the failings of Finn Jones and Danny's character. Finn Jones simply can't fight, and pouty repetitions of "I am the Iron Fist!" Doesn't make him interesting. I'm​pretty sure he said that while looking at the glowy hand more than he used the fist for anything productive.

And the more I think about it, what does he bring to the table for the Defenders? Daredevil is a better martial artist, Luke Cage has the unbreakable thing covered better. All he has is a lovely henna tattoo from spring break.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I think it says something that the big standout from this show is the supporting cast. Colleen should have been the lead and the whole show would have been so much stronger for it. Ward was great too.

This isn't so much based off the strengths of those actors and characters (though they were just fine in those roles) but more about the failings of Finn Jones and Danny's character. Finn Jones simply can't fight, and pouty repetitions of "I am the Iron Fist!" Doesn't make him interesting. I think he said that while looking at the glowy hand more than he used the fist for anything productive.

And the more I think about it, what does he bring to the table for the Defenders? Daredevil is a better martial artist, Luke Cage has the unbreakable thing covered better. All he has is a lovely henna tattoo from spring break.

Yeah at the end of the day it's tough to have a memorable how if you have a weak lead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I gotta say, the final shot of the series nicely embodies so much of what's wrong with its approach to the source material.

It's supposed to be a big deal that K'un Lun has disappeared, but this has zero impact because we've never actually seen the city and thus have no idea what Danny and Colleen should be seeing there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Who's supposed to be the villain in Defenders anyway?

Is it the ninja/Hand/Gao thing where we finally learn about the hole in DDs2? Because that would suck I think. I'm wracking my head trying to come with an interesting villain for this ensemble and I'm drawing a blank.

I keep saying it but I really think Moon Knight would be perfect for the Netflix treatment and would have been a better fit than Iron Fist for the Defenders since, as someone else pointed out, Danny doesn't really bring anything to the team that no one else can do aside from being the only rich member of the team. WIth Marc Spector, you still have the "rich guy with gadgets" combined with "street level/cabbie detective" thing. Make Spector a limo driver for one of the criminal gangs (instead of a cabbie) and he's real easy to tie in with Fisk and also the Cage villains.

It'd be cool if Spector was undercover as a chauffeur for one of the syndicates and that's how he gets caught up in the group. Like, he's the driver when DD or Luke shows up to bust some heads or whatever but none of the other Defenders knows he's a double agent.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BiggerBoat posted:

Who's supposed to be the villain in Defenders anyway?

Is it the ninja/Hand/Gao thing where we finally learn about the hole in DDs2?

Yes, apparently. Sigourney Weaver is the main villain, some sort of Hand leader, I guess?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was chatting with some friends today about the show and I mentioned how bad the fight scenes are, then I kind of wondered if I was being too hard on it, so I went and rewatched a scene from a movie I really enjoyed and uhhh...

The Raid (Indonesian action movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNVvFBTYwM&t=61s

Danny Rand Fighting in Episode 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9I_jiCDK9I&t=46s

I feel totally justified in my bad feelings about the fight scenes. Also the Raid's budget was 1 million dollars.

Also watch The Raid.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It is pretty funny that they didn't aim for a baseline of make sure the fight scenes are great for their martial arts superhero. All the problems with the show would have been more forgivable if they had just hit that obvious point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's bad when the supporting characters are more interesting than the main one , Ward and Joy arc through the series is awesome.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Frankly I'm liking the show more than I liked Luke Cage or DD S2, but I can't even argue about the fight scenes

you had one job in your show about an awesome kung fu guy, and that was to deliver awesome kung fu. how they missed that mark is bewildering

BiggerBoat posted:

I keep saying it but I really think Moon Knight would be perfect for the Netflix treatment and would have been a better fit than Iron Fist for the Defenders since, as someone else pointed out, Danny doesn't really bring anything to the team that no one else can do aside from being the only rich member of the team. WIth Marc Spector, you still have the "rich guy with gadgets" combined with "street level/cabbie detective" thing. Make Spector a limo driver for one of the criminal gangs (instead of a cabbie) and he's real easy to tie in with Fisk and also the Cage villains.

I would trade any of the Defenders for Moon Knight, there's so much potential there

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

It's bad when the supporting characters are more interesting than the main one , Ward and Joy arc through the series is awesome.

I get the love for Ward, mostly because it's great to finally have a superhero show that runs with the inevitable psychotic breakdown you'd get from all the secrets they have to keep from their loved ones.

But Joy? I have no idea what was up with her character. In one episode she's very understanding of the toll the business is taking on Ward, and is very understanding if he wants to leave. Then when he actually wants to leave she turns all backstabby.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I get the love for Ward, mostly because it's great to finally have a superhero show that runs with the inevitable psychotic breakdown you'd get from all the secrets they have to keep from their loved ones.

But Joy? I have no idea what was up with her character. In one episode she's very understanding of the toll the business is taking on Ward, and is very understanding if he wants to leave. Then when he actually wants to leave she turns all backstabby.

Spoiler for entire show Joy is the most like her dad not Ward she does all kinds of crazy under handed poo poo through out the season , Ward's just been doing what his Dad wants. Also in the comics Joy hates Danny

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Two episodes in the best thing about Iron Fist by far is the synth score.

Also Ward and his dad loving suck. I'd be ok with this show pulling a Cottonmouth.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So is Iron Fist worth watching? I was shocked to see the reviews so in the dumps, and it's hard to believe that they hosed it up THAT bad given their hot streak.

hooman posted:

I was chatting with some friends today about the show and I mentioned how bad the fight scenes are, then I kind of wondered if I was being too hard on it, so I went and rewatched a scene from a movie I really enjoyed and uhhh...

The Raid (Indonesian action movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNVvFBTYwM&t=61s

Danny Rand Fighting in Episode 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9I_jiCDK9I&t=46s

I feel totally justified in my bad feelings about the fight scenes. Also the Raid's budget was 1 million dollars.

Also watch The Raid.

I haven't seen the show yet, but you don't really need to go even that far. Daredevil has some of the best loving fights on TV even in season 2.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Two episodes in the best thing about Iron Fist by far is the synth score.

Also Ward and his dad loving suck. I'd be ok with this show pulling a Cottonmouth.

AoS Ward is the best Ward.

Seriously AoS stepped up it's game a lot, I kind of wish it'd move to Netflix rather than dying the runt of the litter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blazing Ownager posted:

So is Iron Fist worth watching? I was shocked to see the reviews so in the dumps, and it's hard to believe that they hosed it up THAT bad given their hot streak.

It's extremely alright.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Beens posted:

Somehow this seems connected to this..

Mr Beens posted:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

As Nero Danced posted:

Daredevil is a better Iron Fist than Danny, and he doesn't even know what the Iron Fist is. Seriously, everything Danny does, Matt does better, even moping. The funny thing is, Daredevil on paper should be the least capable member of the upcoming defenders. Even ignoring that he's blind, Matt is a normal person that's just trained to the limit. Danny has had just as much if not even more training than Matt (plus a magical glowy hand that works whenever he remembers he can do it), but seems to have an even harder time with random mooks. Pretty much all of his fights involve him getting his rear end handed to him, then him getting a lucky punch or kick in.

One of the most disappointing things in a lovely disappointing movie was Superman Returns. Why? Because Superman loses his powers at one point, while facing 4 trained mercenaries and his arch enemy and they beat the poo poo out of him.

Why was I excited by that, you ask? Because I thought I was going to see something cool, something I never saw before: Superman having to learn to do do something heroic without God level bullshit powers, and that he'd have to deal with a situation he couldn't punch his way out of, because without super strength, he's not even a trained martial artist. And instead the whole finale was just him picking up a loving rock, gently caress that movie so loving hard and---

Oh yeah, my point. My point is that I wish more superhero stuff that would address a lot get by on their abilities but as a result totally gently caress the whole training thing. Without powers they're as bad as bar brawlers. I don't know how it is in Iron Fist yet, but I do find the idea of a guy having massive martial arts powers and then just kind of falling back on super punches because they can't be assed to learn more kind of hilarious. I doubt that was the intention though.

Arist posted:

It's extremely alright.

Let's get this quote on the poster

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The best fighting scene in this series was Harold hitting that punching bag.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Blazing Ownager posted:

I liked it. Bad fight scenes, plot much less stupid than Luke Cage or Jessica Jones.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Finished it earlier today yesterday.

IMO it's overall the weakest of the four, maybe better than the second half of Cage, but overall lagging behind. I kept wanting Daredevil to show up (given that Cage is in prison and JJ is presumably in a bottle) but knew it wouldn't happen given that they need to establish Rand as a character in his own right, however given Claire was third wheeling throughout the second half I couldn't suspend my disbelief that she wouldn't call her ex for a favour, god knows he owes her one.

Still, it had it's moments, Karaoke Assassin :haw:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

I mean, Metacritic has it at a 37, which seems harsh, but it's not good. The writing is really stupid at times, Finn Jones wasn't ready for this role (and maybe just not a good fit at all), and the fight scenes are bad, which is especially egregious when that's the one thing I wanted this show to do well.

They work extremely hard to avoid the mystical stuff and keep it grounded like the rest of the Netflix shows, the problem is that basically removes the coolest aspects of Iron Fist, especially when you can't even surpass the action sequences of Agents of Shield.

It's not so bad as to not watch it if you've watched everything else - most of the supporting cast is pretty good and the recurring Netflix characters are great as always, but if this wasn't a show connected to 3 other series that I generally enjoyed and wasn't leading into Defenders, I wouldn't have finished it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Mr Beens posted:

Someone has to embezzle get paid all that money and leave nothing for the special effects budget.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This show would be much better if it was about a guy named Randy Dan.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Critics lied. Show good. All the hate against it is laughable.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Final episode, final fight:

As Harold is stalking Danny with a gun, Danny takes him by surprise, knocks him to the ground.... and then just runs away like an idiot. If you're trying to make feel bad for watching to the end, you're doing a great job.

Additional ending stuff:

I want to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that the Davos/Joy betrayal is more than it appears, because Joy's action don't much sense to me otherwise.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Kheldarn posted:

Critics lied. Show good. All the hate against it is laughable.

Well, maybe not all the hate. I'm liking this a lot so far, but even if I don't agree with the criticism I can understand where it comes from.

I wanted Daredevil to be Law and Order:MCU, and I never really forgave it for not being that.
People who want Iron Fist to be first and foremost a Kung Fu series (entirely understandable) are going be frustrated with this show.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Spoiler question:

When Danny got stabbed in the Hand school, what was the deal with the special stabby thing? Like, it was oddly shaped, and then Claire had pull a piece of it out of him later, but then nobody mentions it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I always think the "we can't kill the bad guys" dilemma that these shows do is stupid, so I'm glad the punisher is around and getting his own show