Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

It honestly blew my mind that they made an NES verison too, and that... it even works :stare:

I remember renting that back in the day and being amazed at the parallaxing floor effect. A parallaxing floor on the NES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

Yeah but you could get audio out if the cable itself or the component adapter with easy mods.

There is also a single-step solution for $55USD but it's sold out right now.

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/products/snes-component-cable?variant=20782851459

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I know it's an absolutely terrible game even by Jaguar standards, but kid me had a lot of fun with Club Drive.

"RZA Encryption, you mean you had a TG16 and a Jaguar growing up?"
My grandpa was district manager for a failed electronics retail chain. We had all the failed tech. This is also why I know exactly when to flip the laserdisc in Wayne's World.
Ribbed for her pleasure, ewwwwww

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 19, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

univbee posted:

There is also a single-step solution for $55USD but it's sold out right now.

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/products/snes-component-cable?variant=20782851459

YPbPr isn't RGB though is it? Wouldn't they need a SCART to BNC adapter instead?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

worthless. posted:

YPbPr isn't RGB though is it? Wouldn't they need a SCART to BNC adapter instead?

No it's not, but odds are good ypbpr is what they want for a Trinitron.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 19, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Don't pay $55 for a single cable, unless you're absolutely sure SNES is the only console you want RGB from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191876964053
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

these have built in audio out so you don't need a breakout

do not get this it's poo poo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156873851

e: I added some stuff in the OP clarifying between component and RGB and mentioning transcoder boxes

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 19, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

Don't pay $55 for a single cable, unless you're absolutely sure SNES is the only console you want RGB from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191876964053
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

these have built in audio out so you don't need a breakout

do not get this it's poo poo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156873851

e: I added some stuff in the OP clarifying between component and RGB and mentioning transcoder boxes

Do those do any scaling or does it just spit component out at the input resolution?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do those do any scaling or does it just spit component out at the input resolution?

From the eBay item page: "This is a converter box that passively converts any 15.7KHz RGB SCART video signal into component video (plus L/R audio) compatible with any CRT SDTV or HDTV that can sync 15.7KHz video. As previously mentioned, this converter is completely passive (no upscaling), so there is absolutely no video or audio delay beyond the transit time through the pcb traces and opamps, perfect for lag free enjoyment."

So no scaling. That makes it great for CRT tv's or a HDTV with decent internal scaling (good luck finding one). It is basically to get the best picture to your Trinitron.

edit: that second link also says: "YUV output for SDTV 480i (13.5MHz), 480p (27MHz)" even though they mention "This product provides high resolution HDTV quality output which is able to detect the source and output for the corresponding video signal." So I assume they are saying 480p is the "high resolution HDTV quality", which worked ok for the Wii I guess...

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 19, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah they don't scale. The description for the shinybow device is idiotic, but the very, uh, particular guys in places like shmups forum hardware section love the thing so I link it

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
To me the Jaguar is the Mystery Science Theater 3000 of video game consoles, in that when it is bad it is amusingly bad. If I have friends over and we just want to laugh at terrible design choices we play Jaguar. It's so bad it is endearing to me. Tempest is legit good but the Saturn version is better. Don't buy a Jaguar to play games, buy a Jaguar to laugh at games. Although in the truth I do have a fondness for the Joust homebrew port for it and play that more than anything else.

JAGUAR PSA: NEVER EVER EVER BUY THE JAGUAR CD. I have owned two of those devices in misguided attempts to fix them and they are NOT FIXABLE. I do not know what the thing is with those things because even after replacing the lasers they are still dead. Sold them both for what I paid for them after hours of time wasted and will never touch them again. I tried reaching out to Atari repair experts and they were like LOL JAG CD GOOD LUCK. But, there is hope. The guy on the AtariAge forums that is working on the Jaguar flashcart claims to be able to stream CD isos directly to the Jaguar without the use of the Jaguar CD, so hopefully in the future we'll be able to play HIGHLANDER THE LAST OF THE MACLEODS without needing to acquire the monkey's paw of a working Jag CD.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember how pissed James Rolfe was when he did the big AVGN Jaguar special as he too went through two Jaguar CDs that ended up being dead on arrival and unfixable.

But with games like Kasumi Ninja, the MST3K of consoles is a perfect description.

Tempest 2000 is of course great, but they did a 3D-ish Missile Command remake too that only came out on Jaguar, was that any good?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember how pissed James Rolfe was when he did the big AVGN Jaguar special as he too went through two Jaguar CDs that ended up being dead on arrival and unfixable.

Someone actually shipped him a working one after that video, and him and Mike did a little thingie on it separate from AVGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezuYstS0Q8

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The Highlander section of that video makes me laugh with the two cops from Robocop or whatever beating the red headed guy with night sticks in the woods while crickets are chirping. Its like the developers were like "eh good enough". Obviously no QA team on any of those games or testing with people who didn't make the game and going into them without blinders.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

Someone actually shipped him a working one after that video, and him and Mike did a little thingie on it separate from AVGN.

Good times. :D

That Highlander game (and also Kasumi Ninja) is such a perfect intersection of everything lovely about the Jaguar. I know it wasn't cold released in an unfinished state like Club Drive and Fight for Life, but Kasumi Ninja and Highlander are just like, are you loving kidding me on every possible level.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I say this as someone who owns two 32x's: lmao@the jaguar

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Jaguar would have been a lot more interesting as a console if it'd managed to be launched in like 1991. Also if they'd included a dedicated audio chip unlike the final design which puts the Sound processing hardware into one of the main chips and as a result means that many intensive games have to drop music in order to run acceptably.

The "Panther" design originalyl targeted for release in 1991 to be followed by the Jaguar later had a dedicated audio chip in its design, incidentally.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Atari had a long and storied history of not giving a gently caress about sound by that point though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I hope someday to have a Jaguar CD that works. I just can't see myself spending that kind of money on it just for the completionist in me though.

Day 2 Jaguar trip report: Yeah it's pretty bland but at least I got this rad video out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7C8tfapoA

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Quick, make up a creepypasta back story for the video and be the next Slenderman. Or at least get to BEN DROWNED levels of popularity, milk it for all its worth!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Quick, make up a creepypasta back story for the video and be the next Slenderman. Or at least get to BEN DROWNED levels of popularity, milk it for all its worth!

It's so crazy! I was playing Raiden, but the blood looked really realistic. SCARILY realistic. Then the jaguar was like 'gently caress u m8' and I got scared. Help!

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Have you ever wanted a Nintendo DS Player? They exist! ...Kind of! We got our hands on Intelligent Systems' Nitro (the DS's codename) Capture unit, meant for trade shows and the like.

It's powered by a GameCube PSU, can do ad-hoc communication over the Ethernet port or with an actual wireless expansion module I don't have, has two Multi AV Out ports and a few DIP switches to configure them, and can take screen captures over USB for your magazine or web reviews. Like the real handheld it can play DS carts or GBA carts but not GC/GBC. No native RGB, like an N64 or NTSC GC, but composite and Y/C look totally fine. There are fat DS capture units but mine has a DS lite on a tether.

The AV ports are individually configurable to display either their respective screen or both screens at once:

Or of course bust out two displays and do one each :spergin:

Games that depend on the touch screen are kind of pointless on here, but games that control using just buttons are really fun on the big screen. It's a cool way to enjoy that 240p GBA action without fussing with Gamecube homebrew, play the Nitro Grand Prix on your Nitro, or tool around in DQ or PS0.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THat's cool as hell.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Agreed that's awesome, I don't think I've ever been this jealous of someone's piece of trade show/developer only tech. Is it even possible to adjust to using it for touch screen games in a Wacom Tablet kinda way or because there's no cursor the disconnect is too much to overcome?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Turbinosamente posted:

Is it even possible to adjust to using it for touch screen games in a Wacom Tablet kinda way or because there's no cursor the disconnect is too much to overcome?

I haven't really tried but can't imagine it would be possible to get good at playing something like Ouendan or Canvas Curse without looking at where you're tapping.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Here's something pretty great. The Gamesmen have uploaded scans of all their old mail catalogs, all the way back to 1990.

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/old-catalogues

Some choice bits I've found.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet play the Castlevania DS games would look amazing on that setup, especially Order of Ecclesia.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Skeep posted:

Here's something pretty great. The Gamesmen have uploaded scans of all their old mail catalogs, all the way back to 1990.

Oh fuckin' nice. Also wow their logo has barely changed.

e:

Gotta love the AUD.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 20, 2017

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Only Shallow posted:

Have you ever wanted a Nintendo DS Player? They exist! ...Kind of! We got our hands on Intelligent Systems' Nitro (the DS's codename) Capture unit, meant for trade shows and the like.

Those capture kits are so nifty. I really wanted to get one when the DS life cycle was over, but I wasn't able to find a way to convince anyone to let me take one home.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i'm sympathetic to the mute jaguar doom cause i mute the music and just put metal on in modern ports. i know, sacrilege, but i feel like romero would be on my side.

and carmack himself coded the jaguar one right?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought the Jag port was the one that Becky Heineman had to throw together in 1 month?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
The Jaguar port was in-house, Heineman did the 3DO port. There's a good interview where Dave Taylor says he got MIDI working, but Carmack must have pulled it out from the levels because it affected performance too much.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 20, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I thought the Jag port was the one that Becky Heineman had to throw together in 1 month?

No, that's the 3DO port. The music they made for that port is the one good thing about it.

Carmack was mega on-board with the Jaguar in the beginning and spearheaded the Wolf/Doom ports himself, and all the console conversions of Doom up until Xbox were derived from the Jaguar version.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

all the console conversions of Doom up until Xbox were derived from the Jaguar version.

Except the SNES one which was made in a different engine altogether.

Carmack really loved the Jaguar thing for some reason.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 20, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Acolyte! posted:

The Jaguar port was in-house, Heineman did the 3DO port. There's a good interview where Dave Taylor says he got MIDI working, but Carmack must have pulled it out from the levels because it affected performance too much.

Yeah the chip in the Jaguar which would be needed to do music at the same time as sound effects, had to be mostly dedicated to rendering the 3D aspects of the game. Their options were thus to have it run like absolute poo poo with music and sound running normally, have it run fine with music and no sound effects, or have it run fine with sound effects and no music.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doesn't the GBA also not have a dedicated SPU? If so it's a wonder how the sound turned out as good as it did (i.e. serviceable for a nickel-sized speaker and not much else).

I only learned that recently but I can't remember where.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Doesn't the GBA also not have a dedicated SPU? If so it's a wonder how the sound turned out as good as it did (i.e. serviceable for a nickel-sized speaker and not much else).

I only learned that recently but I can't remember where.

Does it not use the old GBC z80 for that?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It has the original GBC sound chip, and two dedicated PCM channels, but all the actual mixing and sample decoding has to be done by the CPU. Most games used awful bitrates and mixed samples to just feed the two PCM channels and ignored the rest of the sound hardware.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

FireMrshlBill posted:

The Highlander section of that video makes me laugh with the two cops from Robocop or whatever beating the red headed guy with night sticks in the woods while crickets are chirping. Its like the developers were like "eh good enough". Obviously no QA team on any of those games or testing with people who didn't make the game and going into them without blinders.

stop

blaming

QA

for

bad

games

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

TheRedEye posted:

stop

blaming

QA

for

bad

games

bless you, frank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Only Shallow posted:

This is incredibly cool and gently caress yes Commodore 1702 supremacy

• Locked thread