Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also stopped at Gamestop after Target and the guy said that he probably wouldn't get any more until Christmas and that Nintendo was just concentrating on making the Switch, but I didn't really pay any attention to him since I'm used to Gamestop employees making poo poo up. Employees at places like Target and Walmart usually don't care enough to bother.

e:

Sunning posted:

No, Reggie and Kimishima said they would continue to produce them. Some stores, such as Gametstop and Target, had them in stock a few days ago.

Well gently caress me then. I went to the right places but got the wrong responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Retail store employees are not going to know ever when something is going to be in stock. They generally don't have access to that kind of information, only what is already in their inventory.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, I was more expecting a 'we got a few in yesterday, try back in a few days' response.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I also stopped at Gamestop after Target and the guy said that he probably wouldn't get any more until Christmas and that Nintendo was just concentrating on making the Switch, but I didn't really pay any attention to him since I'm used to Gamestop employees making poo poo up. Employees at places like Target and Walmart usually don't care enough to bother.

e:

Well gently caress me then. I went to the right places but got the wrong responses.

Best Buy also had them on their online store a week ago. Some online stores have different SKUs available that are bundled with third-party controllers, such as Gamestop, that are separate from the listing for just the console. That's how one of my friends got it while browsing casually for it.

It's not an important product for Nintendo or retailers so I expect supply issues to continue for some time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm playing though A Night in the Woods with a friend and it is so so good

Crimes

It is so good but lower your expectations for the last "act" because wow does the writing nosedive off a cliff for that part.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
what is the point of the nes mini

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

what is the point of the nes mini

NEStalgia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

wouldnt a retron or something make more sense

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Does a retron look like a miniature nes?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ok, I'm back to the backlog project while I'm waiting for Turok 2 to be patched on Monday to address a few bugs. I finished up playing Age of Empires III yesterday. I'm not going to write a full review, but I have a few thoughts.

My friend and I played AoE2 and its expansion at least weekly back in highschool, so when I first played its sequel 11 or so years ago I found it so god drat boring. For starters there were only a eight civilizations to pick from, compared to AoE2's 13: Russian, Ottoman, and six varieties of Western European. Because the game starts in the colonial periods of 1700+, there is not a lot of variety between the different civilizations. Everyone has gunpowder, so nearly all of your siege units are some variety of cannon and there isn't much point in making melee units that aren't riding horses. The campaign also sucked.

There's also the concept of the "Home City," from which you can request shipments of units, technology, and resources as you play. Can build and expand the city and customize the available shipments as you keep playing. You can make a custom profile with your own home city configuration, which I didn't much care for back in the day (felt it overcomplicated things), but after playing it again I thought it was pretty cool.

Then the expansions came in and made things a little interesting. Now you can choose between American native and Asian civilizations. Finally some variety! Each civ group has their own gimmicks. The American tribes can form confederacies with other nations to get bonuses, can tame wild animals, and have special units called War Chiefs that buff your armies if they're within a certain range. There's also a sort of morale system where you can get villagers to dance around a fire pit to increase productivity.

I never played around with the Asian civilizations a lot so I'm not sure what they can do. I know they can make rice paddies which you can convert from food crop to cash crop and that's about it.

The campaign never really got better, though.

One thing I will say about AoE3 that really surprised me is that the music fantastic. I loved Rippy's work from AoE 1 and 2 but I didn't expect this kind of cinematic quality from him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4an1SFDw5NM
Link to playlist

Now I'm playing Age of Mythology and it's pretty cool. It seems more similar to the first Age of Empires than any of it's sequels, but without the awful jankiness usually associated with it. That's not really a complaint because I kind of missed AoE1's antiquity aesthetic.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 19, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You are correct, that would be a better purchase. I played with one of those at a local retro event and it was quite good, and it appears to be affordably priced.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah only €200 and you have to procure those games yourself for additional cost.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What I mean to say is it's good, but very expensive.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It makes me think of the fakes people make when there are rumours of a new console

could this be the nx

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Analog stick controller?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

You can buy better controllers iirc.

Edit: it's got controller ports for the originals on the side.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The White Dragon posted:

mimikyu cattily complains that pikachu is a busta

Mods?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_dO3mMboQ

Pikachu is in fact a busta but I feel like the mimikyu rap gives a poor idea of what it actually is like

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pokemon can talk?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_iO7IpaONk

People were talking about the aesthetics of Guitar Hero/Rock Band awhile back and I feel like this fits into that somehow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Pokemon can talk?

Yes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

What's the control scheme I need to use in TW3 so that Geralt doesn't float around like a spaz indoors again?

Alternative. But even then, when you're inside you have to use a light touch. Fine motor control of his walking is not one of the game's strengths.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Pokemon can talk?

I'm pretty sure Meowth is actually the leader of Team Rocket.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

hosed up that no Witcher 3 modders have reached out to me yet in order to help me improve the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

Alternative. But even then, when you're inside you have to use a light touch. Fine motor control of his walking is not one of the game's strengths.

Geralt is like a 100 years old. Give him a break.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Improve it by making Geralt female

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah. Also give him a bow as his primary weapon, with fire arrows and maybe a posh British accent. Make Geralt Lara Croft, is basically what I'm asking for here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If this wasn't the thread where someone said "Where's the Platinum game where you play as Ciri," I'm saying it now to amplify a message desperately needed in these times

Edit: gently caress, I just imagined playing as Ciri in Cyberpunk world blink-striking a bunch of cyborgs and then cutting up a giant spider tank and now this really needs to happen

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 19, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Lest you forget, I just want to replace the combat music with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLzZUL9ZH6Y

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbB4qfsA14

Andromeda needs a Garrus

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they have a turian but no word yet on if she's cool

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Painkiller for 10bucks on Steam. Good idea?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

if you mean painkiller black, then yes. it's great! DO NOT PLAY ANY OTHER PAINKILLER YOU WILL REGRET IT

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

if you mean painkiller black, then yes. it's great! DO NOT PLAY ANY OTHER PAINKILLER YOU WILL REGRET IT

Yeah, that's the one. All I remember is people saying Painkiller was great and Overdose suucked like seven years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StandardVC10 posted:

Your doctor can probably hook you up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

painkiller rules

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Painkiller Overdose is all right if you really want more Painkiller after finishing the original and its expansion. The rest are irredeemable garbage.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm not really interested in playing all of the lovely games from my youth, just some of them.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Played through Deus Ex: MD and I have to say, for all the poo poo people gave HR for its 'press a button and watch narrated cutscene' ending they were a lot better than '5 minutes of news reports, cut to credits'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm not really interested in playing all of the lovely games from my youth, just some of them.

Have you considered a Retropie? Depending on what kind of price point you want to hit there are a ton of options.

• Locked thread