Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Get out quick, friend

They're getting demolished by Amazon and other online retailers and the store is almost always empty

Eh, I work for the outsourcer, not the retailer. If they go under, we just go ruin work for someone else.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Look forward to good data.

Yeah, the halogens in my P71 kind of suck, even with new housings. Interested in the LED conversion, if they don't blow goats.
May take them apart and put in projectors.

This guy does a fair comparison of various technologies, mostly in projectors, but best of all, he puts an HID bulb in a halogen projector and shows exactly how horrible the pattern is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aiA1cQsRs

LED replacement bulbs end up about the same or worse, depending on housing. He doesn't do LED/HID in a non-projector, though.
He's just got loose bulbs and housings in the back yard, but it's a good seat of the pants comparison.

Driving stick: Dad taught me a little in a dune buggy when I was like 12. He taught me the concept of getting it rolling in first, which was the trickiest bit. Practiced a bit in middle school in a Datsun pickup belonging to a friends sister, in their back yard, but still never got out of first or reverse. Was gifted my uncle's Fiat 128 sedan just in time for high school/learner's permit. Taught myself how to shift, discovering that that part was way easier than getting started. We lived in the country, with 13 acres, so I could drive the thing around on the property, and on the gravel road and get the hang of it before menacing the mundanes.

I found a switch in my new-to-me 08 p71 by the OBD port that disables the entire dashboard, warning lights, chimes, and brake lights. Also, no TPMS light or OBD codes at all :smug:

I also found fired .40 S&W and .556 cases all over the car :stare:

That's for rolling up on perps and/or stakeouts with the engine running, but no lights to give it away. There's also a plug or setting to disable the dome light. You can also switch the trunk button from ignition or constant power. Both connectors are there behind the panel. And the rear power windows can be disabled by unplugging the connector in the B-pillar. Look online - there's a Ford Police Vehicles supplement to the owner's manual, and the wiring diagrams have P71-specific pages for all the extra power and signal wiring in the car. My fav is the 30-amp 12V feed in the trunk. Made wiring my amp easy. There's a ground feed straight back to the battery ground, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So somebody tried to steal that Civic I ruined rebuilt.

Too bad there was no battery in it rear end in a top hat.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

There's also a plug or setting to disable the dome light. You can also switch the trunk button from ignition or constant power. Both connectors are there behind the panel. And the rear power windows can be disabled by unplugging the connector in the B-pillar. Look online - there's a Ford Police Vehicles supplement to the owner's manual, and the wiring diagrams have P71-specific pages for all the extra power and signal wiring in the car. My fav is the 30-amp 12V feed in the trunk. Made wiring my amp easy. There's a ground feed straight back to the battery ground, too.
I found the supplement, but must have glossed over the trunk button wiring. This is amazing and a godsend. I was hating having to put the key in to pop the trunk.

While cleaning I also found the tremco box and fixed that up. Keeps you from moving it out of park unless you hit a secret blood pressure cuff-like button under the left floor panel. I think it's an okay anti-theft feature.

I also discovered the passenger-airbag disable box under the passenger kick panel, complete with key.

Unfortunately they just cut out all of the emergency gear with a rusty knife and pulled all the fuses for that. Did discover I can put my meter in one of the cut off wires and pop a test fuse in the slots until that wire gets 12V, though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

This guy does a fair comparison of various technologies, mostly in projectors, but best of all, he puts an HID bulb in a halogen projector and shows exactly how horrible the pattern is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aiA1cQsRs

Always wondered what it would sound like having a highway in your back yard...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Did y'all see this? If not, see this. Then discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjI01rp0Gc

Geoj posted:

Always wondered what it would sound like having a highway in your back yard...

That came off as extremely elitist.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seminal Flu posted:

That came off as extremely elitist.

Did you watch the video? The amount of traffic noise makes it difficult to hear the narrator at times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well I'm down with flu-like symptoms and the Stockholm syndrome is such that I keep thinking I can't take a day off tomorrow because I have so much to do and so much later in the week to prepare for but if I'm this bad tomorrow morning I'm not going to be that guy that makes everyone else ill gently caress it.

My joints ache and my total intake today has been half a packet of biscuits, a bag of crisps and loads of coffee. Real healing food there right?

I'm so sick that I just spent an entire 30 mins watching a low budget Nic Cage movie before I realised it was shite.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

angryrobots posted:

I guess jeep allow the lamp to be disabled, because you may run aftermarket wheels without sensors? So maybe it's ok if fully disclosed?

Did they? When I called the Jeep store about it they had no idea how to undo it, and a 4x4 place told me there are several aftermarket units you can use to change TPM warning light threshold, disable it entirely, recalibrate speedo, etc. but none of them play nice with the others and it's impossible to determine which was used.

Every step of the way I have tried to get them to send the thing to auction so at least my rear end is covered.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Got the fuel filter changed on my wife's Tracker and wow the problem is solved :toot:

Also found out that it was bought in Naples, Florida originally. Considering the mileage and it's age I honestly feel that this vehicle has never left Naples and us driving it home is the furthest it's driven.

Seems like there are a few eBay car dealers from Naples and area that specialize in selling low mileage cream puffs

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
If you documented it on an inspection and can prove it, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a management problem.

On another note, gently caress Kawasaki small engines forever. People who say they are they best you can buy are so full of poo poo, mine breaks almost as fast as I can get it running. And the parts aren't cheap or easy to find.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

O really? Kawasaki on what?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Ferris 52" walk behind. Last cut of the season it started running like poo poo, again. I figured the main jet was plugged, it was, fixed it. Plugged again an hour later, fixed it. Ran just long enough for me to back it out of the garage when it stalled, turns out the fuel pump was bad. I laughed at kawasaki's price for a new one and replaced it with a plastic Briggs pump. It ran long enough for me to cut about a half acre, I put it back in the garage. Went to start it today, it was about 40 degrees out and it flooded. Pulled the plug, dried the plug with a butane torch, blew the cylinder out with compressed air and tried again. Another flood, now I am a little pissed. Pulled the plug and cleaned it out again, gave it a good pull and it backfired so hard it nearly broke my hand. Gave it one more pull and the rope broke. It's an FC420V.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Am I understanding your query correctly?

rdb posted:

I replaced the fuel pump on my lawn mower with an off-spec unit. Now its flooding. gently caress Kawasaki

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It's flooding because it's cold. It did it with the old one as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I found the supplement, but must have glossed over the trunk button wiring. This is amazing and a godsend. I was hating having to put the key in to pop the trunk.

While cleaning I also found the tremco box and fixed that up. Keeps you from moving it out of park unless you hit a secret blood pressure cuff-like button under the left floor panel. I think it's an okay anti-theft feature.

I also discovered the passenger-airbag disable box under the passenger kick panel, complete with key.

Unfortunately they just cut out all of the emergency gear with a rusty knife and pulled all the fuses for that. Did discover I can put my meter in one of the cut off wires and pop a test fuse in the slots until that wire gets 12V, though.

Fortunately, mine appears to have had very little equipment, if any, installed. There's one hole in the roof, and it had strobes in the tail and side marker lights, but either they used the factory connectors for everything else, or it wasn't there, which I'm thankful for. No extra holes in the dash. I finally did find the holes in the floor for the divider, but again, they did a clean job with both the install and removal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are we green?

Supergreen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hated the live action Beauty and the Beast.

Carry on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

That's for rolling up on perps and/or stakeouts with the engine running, but no lights to give it away. There's also a plug or setting to disable the dome light. You can also switch the trunk button from ignition or constant power. Both connectors are there behind the panel. And the rear power windows can be disabled by unplugging the connector in the B-pillar. Look online - there's a Ford Police Vehicles supplement to the owner's manual, and the wiring diagrams have P71-specific pages for all the extra power and signal wiring in the car. My fav is the 30-amp 12V feed in the trunk. Made wiring my amp easy. There's a ground feed straight back to the battery ground, too.

I dunno, having the battery in the trunk made wiring my amp easy as hell. My positive cable from the amp to the battery is probably 4 feet. :v: Though I doubt Ford was thinking of sub amps when they ran that circuit.

I wish I could (easily) switch the trunk release button in my car so it only works with the ignition on; right now, even if the factory alarm is on, if you smash a window, you can hit the trunk release and the alarm won't give two shits, so long as you don't open a door to do it (it's easy to reach from the drivers door). There's a toggle switch in the trunk lid to disable the release solenoid, but that also disables it on the keyfob. And pisses off the alarm if I unlock the trunk with the key without hitting the trunk button on the fob (or unlocking the car with the fob).

I thought Ford had been doing this for awhile? Or was it just on their trucks?

Stepdad's 2001 F-150 has an airbag disable keyswitch on the dash, you just use the regular key in it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Stepdad's 2001 F-150 has an airbag disable keyswitch on the dash, you just use the regular key in it.

NB Miatas have these too. I always keep mine off unless I have a passenger.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

I hated the live action Beauty and the Beast.

Carry on.

I thought it was alright, I just pretended it was a bizarre Harry Potter sequel. My daughters liked it!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually liked it? I mean Ewan MacGregor will never live up to the just-the-right sleaze that Jerry Goddamn Orbach brought in, but I didn't see any reason to be unhappy about it. Wife and kid both loved it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MONGREL IS UP AND YOU BETTER VOTE FOR RASCAL

The finals voting thread is active HERE

The finals donation toxx thread is active HERE

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dogge votes delivered.

I think some of the subforums need a new Hayes manual regarding dog identification.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rascal status: currently in second place

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Ya, this is going to be pretty close :ohdear:

He was in the lead and I just put my batsignal out on my discord server so hopefully the votes start pouring in :3:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Safety Dance posted:

Vote delivered. Currently in first place.

I suggest these monthly chat threads should have best dog competitions every month.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 20, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I voted for

-Rascal (to Rep AI)
-Gaston (I lurk in the birds thread and that fucker is gigantic and awesome)
-Ozzie (I don't remember what subforum he's nominated from or anything about him but he just looked so drat chill in that pic on the boat I had to throw him a vote)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I thought Ford had been doing this for awhile? Or was it just on their trucks?

Typically the keyswitch is only on 2-seaters (trucks with only jump seats count, since you can - or shouldn't, at least - put a car seat in one of those.)
My CV disables it automatically if there isn't enough weight in the passenger seat.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Rascal is no Badger or Ellie... but in this case, he got my vote.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I didn't know that fake dogs were options to be voted on, I feel like it's kinda cheating because I couldn't not vote for Dog with Mailman Shoes. I love that dog and his weird Silent Hill brother

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Voted for Rascal because AI, but not going to lie, that blind one tugs at my softie heart.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i voted for rascal

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks everyone :3:

The darn CSPAM doggo is winning by A Lot

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's a political FYAD-lite. Ballot box stuffing is practically mandatory.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Voted Rascal. I get that it's a comedy site but I am not fond of fake dogs and dead dogs being on the ballot. I cannot scratch their bellies and call them good dogs

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What a stupid loving showing on the dogge contest. Rascal is the best by far.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MONGREL IS UP AND YOU BETTER VOTE FOR RASCAL

The finals voting thread is active HERE

The finals donation toxx thread is active HERE

Voted 5 Rascal. Em Effing C-SPAM/D&D ruining a game pretty much like they are ruining the rest of the internet smdh

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah i'm kind of bummed that a meme dog is owning me rn but it's okay because i :toxx:'d $20 to the winner either way

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wahoo! - actual dogges have the top 4 spots now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Finally made it back "home" to Indy after 10 days on the road in Florida. I slept properly maybe one night in that, and that was after closing out two bars in Clearwater. I've not been this happy to sit on my arse and vegetate on the sofa in a long time.

I also flew out on my birthday, so I had a couple of presents waiting in the office from my boyfriend when I got in today. Kinda glad I didn't open them in the office...

:nws: if you're easily offended: http://i.imgur.com/QPek4mQ.jpg

• Locked thread