Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Didn't see it mentioned recently:

E-drum tip: if you have a MacBook, buy and download something like Addictive Drums/EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer, buy a midi-> usb cord, hook drums up to computer, run software through Garage Band. Voila, your drums sound exponentially better, you can record them, etc. Latency isn't a problem for me.

Obviously this works doe PCs too but you might need to download a driver to reduce latency and a program to pump it through.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

AndrewP posted:

Didn't see it mentioned recently:

E-drum tip: if you have a MacBook, buy and download something like Addictive Drums/EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer, buy a midi-> usb cord, hook drums up to computer, run software through Garage Band. Voila, your drums sound exponentially better, you can record them, etc. Latency isn't a problem for me.

Obviously this works doe PCs too but you might need to download a driver to reduce latency and a program to pump it through.

Seconding this, I don't even bother micing drums when I record anymore because the kits you can get with Superior Drummer sound so good compared to my lovely mics.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I've had a TD-20 set for like 8-9 years, a PC, reaper, 2x presonus firestudios and I've STILL never bothered to hook up the TD-20 -> midi -> my computer

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :v:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

I've had a TD-20 set for like 8-9 years, a PC, reaper, 2x presonus firestudios and I've STILL never bothered to hook up the TD-20 -> midi -> my computer

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :v:

Doo itttt. Then try a nice, natural sounding roll on your snare. Ahhh.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

Doo itttt. Then try a nice, natural sounding roll on your snare. Ahhh.
Sold.

Anybody got any good youtubes of where to start setting this poo poo up and/or recommendations of what drum samples pack I should buy that works well with reaper or whatever?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea. I just have the most basic Addicitive Drums into Garageband set up and I still hardly know what I'm doing in terms of manipulating the actual drum samples.

So I haven't been up on the latest and greatest E-drums but I guess they have a new $7500 TD-50? I just listened to it on Youtube and laughed. After all these years they still sound like poo poo.

e: after some more listening it doesn't sound THAT awful, I guess. which is what you want when you're dropping over $7k.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

I have no idea. I just have the most basic Addicitive Drums into Garageband set up and I still hardly know what I'm doing in terms of manipulating the actual drum samples.

So I haven't been up on the latest and greatest E-drums but I guess they have a new $7500 TD-50? I just listened to it on Youtube and laughed. After all these years they still sound like poo poo.

e: after some more listening it doesn't sound THAT awful, I guess. which is what you want when you're dropping over $7k.

No, seriously, some of the drum models (not samples!:science:) are the exact same sounds on my ~13 year old TD-20 and suffer from the exact same machine gunning. :sad: I remember seeing a couple youtubes on it semi recently and just being, like... what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck how is that an update?

AND it has fully TWO LESS TOM PADS than mine came with. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Sold.

Anybody got any good youtubes of where to start setting this poo poo up and/or recommendations of what drum samples pack I should buy that works well with reaper or whatever?

EzDrummer 2.0 works flawlessly for me in Reaper.

Here's how they sound (with some mixing of course, but it's essentially the same sound)
https://soundcloud.com/skriket/01-the-castle

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I've heard of some pros doing this now when playing live with acoustic drums.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Looking at the Pearl Roadshow 4 piece for basement jamming. I figure it's either that and upgrade the cymbals out of the box or the other plan was a Sound Percussion Labs Velocity Bop and piece the hardware and cymbals together individually. Second option would be more expensive though and I really don't have the budget for it unless theres a big difference to be had here, and in this price range I don't think there is. Help me make a decision internet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hah. So I plugged in my headphones straight into the TD-4 module for the hell of it (I haven't played without a VST in like four years). I gotta say... it felt snappier. I'm thinking there actually is some latency that isn't immediately noticeable but you can feel if you go back and forth.

The VST sounds sooo much better, and if recording I would definitely use it, but I think for just regular practice I'm going to stick with the module.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've been going through Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer (modern in the 1950's mind you) and it turned out to be an excellent resource for learning independance in a jazz context. I'e always struggled with keeping the shuffle on the ride cymbal + hi-hat on 2 and 4 while improvising, and the exercises in the book have helped me bigly in that aspect. If you do everything diligently, at the end it's very rewarding when he makes you put it all together. Anybody looking to learn jazz should start there.

Anybody knows how the hell you approach playing something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGqZ2S16IY&t=820s that? There has to be more than one drummer here, but I really wouldn't be surprised if one guy managed to play all that. I'd love to learn that stuff but have no idea where to even start, so if anybody has a recommendation I'd be quite happy.
edit: well listening to it a bit more there's at least a few players here. Still an amazing bit of percussion, and I have no idea what it's called but I'd listen to a whole album of that stuff.

There's more drum videos I came across I'd like to share with the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InbaU387Wl8
This is really impressive,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-9XmfZsqHE
as is this loving guy.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 19, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Holy poo poo on that Pepe Silvia clip. Playing tight on top of spoken word is pretty legit.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 1, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

This is pretty great, I always like seeing people perform who know their poo poo so well they make it look easy. I guess there's not much choice at these tempos but this guy's arms and wrists are rock solid, it's all fingers.

Bill Stevenson is another drummer I like to watch play. Dude has been writing and drumming punk rock since 1977 as a main songwriter for Decendents and ALL, among others, and makes it look as natural as walking down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De0Kh5bAM4Q&t=2511s

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Managed to slice my pinky finger the morning before a gig. Spent a few hours at the ER getting stitches then superglued it, wrapped it in gauze and wore a latex glove just in case. I didn't have any problems at the gig but I did play it up for "hardcore" points with the band and sympathy from the ladies.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

praxis posted:

Managed to slice my pinky finger the morning before a gig. Spent a few hours at the ER getting stitches then superglued it, wrapped it in gauze and wore a latex glove just in case. I didn't have any problems at the gig but I did play it up for "hardcore" points with the band and sympathy from the ladies.

That's a great look! That janky glove setup can be your new "thing"!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Colonel J posted:

Anybody knows how the hell you approach playing something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGqZ2S16IY&t=820s that? There has to be more than one drummer here, but I really wouldn't be surprised if one guy managed to play all that. I'd love to learn that stuff but have no idea where to even start, so if anybody has a recommendation I'd be quite happy.
edit: well listening to it a bit more there's at least a few players here. Still an amazing bit of percussion, and I have no idea what it's called but I'd listen to a whole album of that stuff.

The three major players in Latin music today are Antonio Sanchez, Dafnis Prieto, and Horacio Hernandez, all of which have learning material on coordination in a Latin context.

Here's Horacio's book, Conversations in Clave. I've been working out of it for a few months and it's still challenging and engaging. I'll be honest, I had to start with a metronome at quarter note = 50, with 16th note subdivisions. This kind of coordination is difficult at first, but incredibly rewarding. I'll probably be working with this book for years.

Here's Dafnis' book A World of Rhythmic Possibilities. I haven't researched it at all, but one of my teachers picked it up recently to work on Latin coordination.

Here's Hudson Music's DVD on Antonio, Antonio Sanchez. I'm not a fan of DVDs for things that are better done via book (like limb coordination), so maybe pick it up give us a review?

In that album/tune you linked the drumming actually seems pretty simple once you get the ostinatos down (warning: I listened to it on my phone and might have missed if they're using a bass drum). One foot is playing the rumba clave, and the other is playing 1(e)+a2(e)+a3...etc. while the hands improvise. Here's what it looks like written out:

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Holy poo poo I love everything about this

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Here's Horacio's book, Conversations in Clave. I've been working out of it for a few months and it's still challenging and engaging. I'll be honest, I had to start with a metronome at quarter note = 50, with 16th note subdivisions. This kind of coordination is difficult at first, but incredibly rewarding. I'll probably be working with this book for years.

Thanks! I'll be trying this one out, I've heard a lot of good about Hernandez.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I need some advice about electronic drum kits.

I have a cheapo drumkit that I bought from Aldi for like 150 bucks (one of these) and I've been wailing away on it for the last few months, having a really fun time.

However, it's starting to show the abuse I've given it and I want to upgrade.
I have $1000AUD budget, and I'm looking for the usual stuff.. so, mesh heads, a proper kick pad so I can upgrade it to double, etc.

My current front contender is This set here. which seems to be getting decent enough reviews, and seems to be a fairly decent mid-range kit for the price (especially considering its 300 bucks off).

Have any of you heard any horror stories about Alesis kits, or have a better suggestion for the ~$1k AUD range that fits the above criteria?

Cheers fellas.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Alesis aren't bad but they are a peg down from Yamaha and Roland, I've always seen them as a premium budget brand, they make stuff that works decently enough but placed beside a "proper" brand it's clear which one is the loser. That being said, that kit looks fine. For a thousand dollars that's actually a really good deal, I bought my TD9KX in 2008 for nearly $4000AU and apart from the toms being mesh and a better ride there's really not much that makes my kit superior to this one, it actually looks like a more modern version of the TD-9. The mesh kick is a good improvement for that price too (it looks like it could handle a double kick pedal fine, I use eliminators on a much smaller KD8), and kick/snare are easily the two most important surfaces so the toms being rubber isn't a big deal, the size of them almost seems luxurious compared to the 8" mesh pads I use which have a fairly small butter zone for hitting the surface without clipping the rims. Being able to load your own samples into the brain is a big plus, the td-9 can only modify existing internal sounds or use external midi with slight latency so this could extend the useful life of your kit significantly, you could find samples for any kit in the world.

The only real negative I would say the Command has is it doesn't seem expandable at all, there's nothing in the specs that mentions adding extra drums so you're stuck with one crash and one floor tom, still not a deal breaker though. Also only has a two-zone ride cymbal so no bell, the cymbals are probably the most limited part of the kit overall, but that style of hi-hat is fine (same as mine) and you can use each zone on the crash as a different cymbal and even the tom rims could be cymbals too. Still enough flexibility to not limit your playing in any real way but I do like a second crash.

Alternatives are really the second hand market, a td-9 at this price does happen occasionally and you could probably get a decent yamaha but they'll all be decade-old technology soon, my td-9 couldn't even play mp3 files until a(n easily pirated) $99 firmware upgrade came out and like I said can't load any more internal sounds which is something I long for on my kit so having that poo poo natively is still a comparative luxury in the world of e-drums. I don't think you'll find anything better than the Alesis kit with your budget, and it will be in vastly better condition than anything you could find second hand.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Alesis aren't bad but they are a peg down from Yamaha and Roland, I've always seen them as a premium budget brand, they make stuff that works decently enough but placed beside a "proper" brand it's clear which one is the loser. That being said, that kit looks fine. For a thousand dollars that's actually a really good deal, I bought my TD9KX in 2008 for nearly $4000AU and apart from the toms being mesh and a better ride there's really not much that makes my kit superior to this one, it actually looks like a more modern version of the TD-9. The mesh kick is a good improvement for that price too (it looks like it could handle a double kick pedal fine, I use eliminators on a much smaller KD8), and kick/snare are easily the two most important surfaces so the toms being rubber isn't a big deal, the size of them almost seems luxurious compared to the 8" mesh pads I use which have a fairly small butter zone for hitting the surface without clipping the rims. Being able to load your own samples into the brain is a big plus, the td-9 can only modify existing internal sounds or use external midi with slight latency so this could extend the useful life of your kit significantly, you could find samples for any kit in the world.

The only real negative I would say the Command has is it doesn't seem expandable at all, there's nothing in the specs that mentions adding extra drums so you're stuck with one crash and one floor tom, still not a deal breaker though. Also only has a two-zone ride cymbal so no bell, the cymbals are probably the most limited part of the kit overall, but that style of hi-hat is fine (same as mine) and you can use each zone on the crash as a different cymbal and even the tom rims could be cymbals too. Still enough flexibility to not limit your playing in any real way but I do like a second crash.

Alternatives are really the second hand market, a td-9 at this price does happen occasionally and you could probably get a decent yamaha but they'll all be decade-old technology soon, my td-9 couldn't even play mp3 files until a(n easily pirated) $99 firmware upgrade came out and like I said can't load any more internal sounds which is something I long for on my kit so having that poo poo natively is still a comparative luxury in the world of e-drums. I don't think you'll find anything better than the Alesis kit with your budget, and it will be in vastly better condition than anything you could find second hand.

The brain unit does have a MIDI out do you could plug it into a PC or Mac running Garage Band or similar software to open up a world of possible drum sounds.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It does, but there's an unavoidable latency involved in running from the brain to the computer via MIDI, through the drum sim and out the speakers. It can be <10 ms with a good setup but it still makes drums feel sludgy, distant, other synonyms for not-quite-present. It's great for recording, play along to the inbuilt sounds while recording midi and so you get the immediacy of the brain and flexibility of a midi track, but for actual everyday playing and jamming that slight, almost imperceptible delay makes a big difference to how the kit feels. Responsiveness is king with drums, guitars can get away with a 10ms blur on the notes because the actual act of plucking a string will still be occurring when the sound exits the speaker but a drum stick can hit and be on the rebound just above the head when the sound triggers and once you notice this it's hard to ever un-notice, makes it feel like a copy of a drum kit instead of an instrument in its own right.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm only a beginning drummer, but I've tried to notice the midi latency and I just can't. My connections are Kit > PC via USB midi, PC > interface via usb, interface > monitors. I also play bass and guitar direct through the same interface fairly often, and if I mess something up and get noticeable latency I'll start going "gently caress this, this is unplayable" long before anyone else even notices, but once I got the settings right I've never even noticed it with the drums.

Definitely not saying it doesn't happen, only that I can't tell and I've been looking for it. It's 100% likely that I'm not good enough on the drums to tell it's happening if it's only a very small lag.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

With regards to expansion of the alesis sets, I did notice this on the back of the head unit:

presumably this means that it is possible to add a 4th tom and a 2nd crash at some point?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't see that pic, sure does mean you can add another tom and crash, you could use prettymuch any brand of e-drum in there because they all use the same 1/4" jack.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I posted about latin drums a bit back; haven't made much progress as I'm scrambling to finish my degree but I did learn this beat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-KzDpQdmLg (Al di Meola's Casino intro, played by Steve Gadd) . I can do it at about 0.75 of the speed, it's really fantastic and fun when it clicks, but the snare triplets in the last measure are going to take some doing...

I really want to post this kid because this song and drumming is so awesome : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWALjRZouxk (Return To Forever's Senor Mouse played by some 11 year old). The claves with the left foot is really something else.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
What are some good exercises/resources for developing left leg independence? If my right and left legs are playing a consistent pattern I can usually set-and-forget them, but anything more complex than that and my house of cards tumbles down :downsrim:

Prime example, I just put up a cover of Incubus' Adolescence and I was able to find some really good quality videos of their drummer playing this song, so I think I've got it transcribed pretty accurately. The first thing is in the 6/4 verses there's ghost snares and ruffs just about everywhere. I suck at those but I think I could probably bullshit my way through even now. Where I crash and burn is in the chorus where the hihat pedal for the most part keeps steady on 8th notes throughout. Doing that with the 'irregular' bass drum just breaks my brain.

I went ahead and posted this early version because it's still really fun to play, but I'd like to be able to go back and do it 'the right way' at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMnF1XqUTY

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Two things I did to build up my left foot and coordination (I'm right handed btw).

Play a simple *bass snare bass bass snare* 4/4 beat but have your right hand on the ride either playing eight or quarter notes. Now play eighth notes with your left foot, opening and and closing the high hat pedal. When that feels comfortable, switch to quarter notes

If you have a double pedal, start playing songs (simple 4/4 stuff) with your left foot instead of your right to build up strength.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Listening to the recording off the album, it doesn't seem like he's playing it. It could be something he added later to stay engaged, having played it a few hundred times.

I take the opposite approach from Bonzo when I'm practicing new coordination exercises. I start with the thing that's going to stay same (your hihat foot in this case), then add what can/will change (hands first, then bass drum). If that's too challenging I'll write out one measure of the basic groove (4/4 rock groove on ride with quarter notes on hihat foot), then play and count each eighth note sequentially, but out of time. Once I can play that in time, and when I feel comfortable with it, I'll vary the bass drum pattern, then the hands.

The New Breed by Gary Chester has dozens of coordination exercises if you're interested in that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

Listening to the recording off the album, it doesn't seem like he's playing it. It could be something he added later to stay engaged, having played it a few hundred times.

The New Breed by Gary Chester has dozens of coordination exercises if you're interested in that.

I think these are the two videos I looked at when researching this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyw8Vjm_0w4
Live in the studio, a few good shots of snare ghosting, 1:55 is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYcb1TtZ3fk
Concert shot of just the drummer, I wish more bands did this. It's live live so there's a lot more embellishment and variation from the studio version but the ghosting and hihat work look pretty consistent.

It's possible he started doing the ghosting and hihat stuff live, but if I'm not playing the 'hardest' version of a song it feels like cheating, like dropping down to Hard in Rock Band :)

The New Breed sounds familiar, my drum instructor probably mentioned it. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm shopping, thanks.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Well, guys.. after several weeks of waiting for Alesis to actually ship them to Australia, I managed to get a hold of a brand new Alesis Command drumkit.

Also got a dp drums chain driven double kick, and a remo falam slam double kick patch so I can use the felt beaters on the mesh kick drum.

Only wound up costing me $1100AUD for the lot, so I'm super stoked about that.

My gf tells me I was alternating between giggling like a child and swearing while putting it together.

Need to get myself a mat, then either the crash 2 and tom 4 expansions, or a decent PA like a Mackie Thump 15 to go along with it all, but the hard part is done now.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nice thinking on the kick patch, I wore a hole in my rubber kick drum by using felt beaters, by the time I patched it was too late.

How does the kit feel?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So much bigger than what I was using before.

I have a lot of retraining to do with regards to my posture too.

I'm also considering getting another drum patch for the snare, for the sake of making it last, since I think I still hit it too hard.

But yeah, really happy with it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mephiston posted:

So much bigger than what I was using before.

I have a lot of retraining to do with regards to my posture too.

I'm also considering getting another drum patch for the snare, for the sake of making it last, since I think I still hit it too hard.

But yeah, really happy with it.

Mesh lasts forever, I beat the hell out of my snare (fast punk beats = lots of snare use) and it looks the same as it did from factory. Well, almost as new, one time the little nylon tips came off the metal-cored sticks I was using without me noticing and I left a bunch of pock marks across all the drums, but apart from that there's been zero damage to any of my mesh heads caused by regular playing.
Anyone I show the kit to always plays really lightly like they're afraid to break it, until I push them out of the way, hit the kit as hard as I can in a vicious display of brutality, then tell them to have another go and take the kid gloves off this time.

If for whatever reason you did manage to hurt the mesh then replacements are easy to find and install, probably for not much more cost than the patches you use. Just make sure to not use the same sticks on an acoustic kit and an electric kit, the acoustic will shred the drum sticks leaving all sorts of sharp bits that could actually cause some damage, and a set of sticks will never deteriorate if just used on your alesis (I still use the same wooden sticks I bought with the kit nearly a decade ago).

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I don't own an acoustic kit, so no problems there.. but I'll bear that in mind if I do wind up getting one for whatever reason.

And yeah, I'm not particularly worried about the snare head, it was more of an idea floating around than anything else. Truth be told, the kick drum is a bit louder now because of the patch, but that doesn't really matter since I use headphones mostly.

Oh, speaking of which.. have any of you owned or played through a Mackie Thump 15 before? I'm trying to figure out whether I want to get a PA speaker or a dedicated drum monitor, and the thump keeps coming up in articles and forums as a good buy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got my annual bonus from work and am finally gonna pick up some double bass pedals. A few pages back Pearl Eliminators were recommended, they still a good bang-for-buck buy? The P-2002C's seem to be floating around 300 right now but I don't mind assuming they should last basically forever.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Just got my annual bonus from work and am finally gonna pick up some double bass pedals. A few pages back Pearl Eliminators were recommended, they still a good bang-for-buck buy? The P-2002C's seem to be floating around 300 right now but I don't mind assuming they should last basically forever.

Mine are 7ish years old and show no indications of wear, I don't envision ever having to replace them.
I have no idea what else is out that competes with them but the Eliminators are still great value.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I have no idea if this is an indication of DW's hardware quality or my ridiculously heavy bass drum foot work but I've gone through at least 3 DW5000 single pedals. One of them I straight up broke the footboard in half. The other is just really beat up that I keep as a spare. I like the way they feel so I'll probably continue using them. I also broke the poo poo out of a two-leg DW hihat stand with the giant plate for the foot pedal. I switched to a compact jazz style hi-hat stand that isn't nearly as heavy duty or bulky and it's been fine. Maybe I cooled down the playing style over the years. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I've had a buddy also bust a dw footboard in half a bunch of years ago and another that had his turn into a useless hunk of junk. For as ubiquitous as they were in the late 90's & early/mid 2000's they were really pieces of poo poo.