Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've just started this show, I was hoping Danny Rand wouldn't be another boring as poo poo I'm stoic and damaged and just want to do the right thing character like every other Defender but I'm so far disappointed. Can't wait to see what sparks fly when you put these guys together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rougey posted:

Finished it earlier today yesterday.

IMO it's overall the weakest of the four, maybe better than the second half of Cage, but overall lagging behind. I kept wanting Daredevil to show up (given that Cage is in prison and JJ is presumably in a bottle) but knew it wouldn't happen given that they need to establish Rand as a character in his own right, however given Claire was third wheeling throughout the second half I couldn't suspend my disbelief that she wouldn't call her ex for a favour, god knows he owes her one.

Still, it had it's moments, Karaoke Assassin :haw:

I would have loved a Daredevil cameo when they were investigating the shipping containers. Murdoch comes in fucks everyone up and Danny is all "what the gently caress?"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've trained all my life to destroy the hand.
Oh no let's not kill the hand, they're people.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

uPen posted:

I've trained all my life to destroy the hand.
Oh no let's not kill the hand, they're people.

"I'm a weapon!"

"You're a weapon!"

"I'm not a weapon!"

edit: VVV trailer park meth operations have better security. And more scale, for that matter. How big could Gao's operation be if that was an important enough installation for her to visit personally.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 19, 2017

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Probably not a good idea to guard your top secret heroin factory with swords.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The Bushido code has taught me to never kill anyone with this sword that was designed to kill people.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If you kill someone with your Iron Fist you will damage your chi which allows you to become the Iron Fist who exists to kill certain people.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly, my only complaint with the shows after Daredevil Season 1 is the hallway fight scenes. They blew their load with the very first one, and they've never come close to it again. And I don't think they ever will.

Also, the actor for Harold was VERY good at being a creepy bad guy! I don't think Bakuto was right about cutting off his head being the only way to kill him. I think fire was the only way. Also, Bakuto's actor was VERY good at being a calm, rational, evil dude.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Probably not a good idea to guard your top secret heroin factory with swords.

Ah! But you're forgetting they're Poisoned swords! Poisoned with a special Poison that, when used on any weapon that's NOT a sword, instantly kills someone, but when used on a sword, it takes a couple days!.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Finished it. I thought it was a good, fun show, just not up to the standards of the other Marvel Netflix shows. Though it never got as bad as the worst parts of Daredevil s2, it didn't get as good as the best parts either. The fights were merely ok, which is pretty disappointing for a martial arts focused character.

I found Danny a pretty likeable lead, you just need to view him as a well meaning idiot child. I like the idea of him being this legendary chosen one who has screwed it all up because he's a moron.

Colleen Wing is awesome, and Ward's actor does a fantastic job. David Wenham is also excellent. Joy and Davos' heel turn felt a bit unearned, but on the whole the plot was very engaging. They managed to completely turn the Hand around from dull as dishwater Ninjas in Daredevil to some pretty entertaining villains in Iron Fist. They actually have personalities! Making them an illuminati like cult is a much better choice than a small horde of faceless Ninjas.

The drunken boxer was definitely a highlight. If this gets a second season they need more of that sort of thing. And for Finn Jones to train until he's good enough at fake fighting to do it justice.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

marktheando posted:

Joy and Davos' heel turn felt a bit unearned

Actually, Davos' was telegraphed when he was talking to Claire. He feels that he was supposed to be the Iron Fist, that Danny stole it from him, and never even should have had he chance to become the Iron Fist.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Say what you want about the show but the drunken master was awesome.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ramadu posted:

why should they change the character to make him asian? thats pretty weird to want

Because now the Defenders has two white ninjutsu punchmen who fight the Hand. Except the one who's actually less good at it is going to have to be the more authoritative one on all matters Magic Asia.

At least if the character was Asian, it'd cut down how politically weird that is. Feel less like a kid coming back from a gap year. Maybe such an actor could speak Mandarin for scenes where he has to do this.

(Apparently Finn Jones' Chinese is gibberish, per a friend of mine. Interestingly, although D'onofrio's Chinese isn't great, he was saying actual words.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Say what you want about the show but the drunken master was awesome.

He should have been part of the gauntlet and not the one line of defense for a heroin factory

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nevermind that he's not Asian in the comics, where the Defenders has two white ninjutsu punchmen who fight the Hand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kheldarn posted:

Nevermind that he's not Asian in the comics, where the Defenders has two white ninjutsu punchmen who fight the Hand.

His race in the comics does not matter at all in any real way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Episode 11 scene:

Can we talk somewhere private?
*goes to the other side of the desk they're standing on*

This loving show.

It's like the distilled encapsulation of what's wrong with the show. I couldn't help but actually ask the goddamn screen "Are you making GBS threads me?" at that point. The whole thing is taking an ok, if very well worn, idea and executing the idea horribly.

Post series spoilers

Danny Rand sucks at fighting, doesn't even look like he can fight, and despite several decent ideas of what to do with the character that they bring up, they just paint by numbers like a 5 year old.
  • The PTSD and his own conflicted feelings loving up his Chi is a good idea. That they introduced shittily and didn't even really get around to actually dealing with until they have Madam Gao literally tell Danny and the audience that was the issue. Then Danny fixes the problem in 2 seconds with no real explanation other than "Oh, the plot says I'm over it."
  • The conflict between his ascetic claims and being a billionaire fighting for his birthright is also a good idea. They refuse to do absolutely anything with it. Even though they clearly had an idea of making the whole legal conflict between Danny and the Meachums at the beginning of the series about how their offer of shittons of money was turned down because of the catch that he had to renounce the Rand name. Then we get two instances of Danny being the "good guy" in an amoral corporate world which are both done poorly. poo poo man, conflict with the Hand can come from their infiltration of Rand Inc. instead of the dumb change to The Iron Fist being the legendary enemy of the hand who never, ever, ever fights them unless they happen to try and get by his K'un-Lun toll booth.
  • Iron Fist, the enemy of The Hand also could have been good if they focused on that. Danny comes back to New York as part of his duties as the Iron Fist. New York is where The Hand is, and it just so happens that Danny also has unrelated business there. Rand Inc. is not only his birthright but also an effective tool for fighting The Hand.
  • Old School tale of revenge where the man left for dead comes back to avenge his family at least has a purpose.
  • Prodigal Son returns and deals with the resentment of his "family" who stayed would be poo poo in the creators of Netflix Iron Fist, but it is at least an idea.

The Meachums are actually the best part of the show. Their entire story line has actual character arcs and payoff. Plus [spoiler]zombie Harold roaming the streets of New York was hilarious.
Then at the end Joy just jumps on board the Kill Danny Rand train with no explanation. She just turned her back on her loving father for setting up Danny to go to prison. Then the next scene we see her she's conspiring with Davos to kill Danny. Guess that was a very convincing cup of coffee that Davos bought her.

Claire is infuriating in this show and I wish she just never showed up. No, your high horse about anyone other than yourself using violence is the worst and doesn't even make any sense. Especially when the two people you had the real passionate speeches about not killing are literal immortals who can't be reasoned with and are actively killing others while trying to also kill/enslave/use you. Maybe take a moment and think about the fact that your claw weapon attacks and setting a goddamned propane tank on fire in the middle of a New York street are also violence.

On the plus side The Hand as a somewhat loose confederation of different factions with their own styles is an interesting idea. Nobu's hand is the classic ninjas, but they kind of sucked by the end of Daredevil. Gao's criminal empire Hand and Bokoto's infiltrating cult Hand were both interesting ideas, and their long reach was a much better "vast, unending, opponent" version than Nobu's classic ninjas. Especially the scenes where we see both Gao and Bokuto have essential sleeper cells that get called up. Now if they could just get away from inexplicably using medieval weaponry and poo poo whenever guns would be inconvenient to the plot.

#DavosWasRight

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
This is a show where someone says "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" like it is a deep and meaningful counterpoint in an argument.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Ghandi wouldn't like that."

Next episode

"IF YOU TOUCH MY MOTHER....."

Right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kheldarn posted:

Actually, Davos' was telegraphed when he was talking to Claire. He feels that he was supposed to be the Iron Fist, that Danny stole it from him, and never even should have had he chance to become the Iron Fist.

Davos was actually fairly well done. His resentment of Danny came from multiple angles, almost all of them justified. Jealousy of Danny getting the Iron Fist is near the bottom of the list of things that he's pissed about. Abandoning his post, abandoning his adopted family, turning his back on his training and teaching, apparently K'un-Lun got attacked by the Hand.

Edit:Also Davos actually looked like he could fight. I wonder if Shou-Lao the Undying just was incapacitated with laughter at Danny's incompetence, falling on top of Danny, which accidentally passed Danny in the Iron Fist final exam.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 19, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kheldarn posted:

I get that, but it still felt kind of abrupt. Joy's just makes no sense because the last time we saw her she's cut her father out of her life for framing Danny.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Arist posted:

His race in the comics does not matter at all in any real way.

Yeah, I wouldn't defer to what was canon in Marvel comics from the 70's. I doubt 99% of the audience has read them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arist posted:

I get that, but it still felt kind of abrupt. Joy's just makes no sense because the last time we saw her she's cut her father out of her life for framing Danny.

Davos is reasonable Danny just bared his Iron Fist at Davos and turned his back on K'un-Lun for a member of the Hand. Joy absolutely makes no sense though. At least have a scene where she monologues about wrongfully blaming Danny for her zombie dad's death or something first.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Would you guys eat ice cream for breakfast and lunch if you found out you could live forever?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gyges posted:

Davos is reasonable Danny just bared his Iron Fist at Davos and turned his back on K'un-Lun for a member of the Hand. Joy absolutely makes no sense though. At least have a scene where she monologues about wrongfully blaming Danny for her zombie dad's death or something first.

It's so glaring that it makes me think part of it was something they legitimately forgot to fix between drafts of the script. Joy could have not found out Danny was framed (or even better, not cared), left on good terms with her father, and then had motivation for the later scene.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Would you guys eat ice cream for breakfast and lunch if you found out you could live forever?

Is it vanilla ice cream?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gyges posted:

Is it vanilla ice cream?

you son of a bitch

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The last scene was so badly handled, setting aside how they were climbing the Himalayas while dressed for a brisk Autumn morning, the reveal of the gate was so underwhelming. Was K'un Lun burned to the ground? Did the gate close? I couldn't tell what I was seeing or not seeing because they never let me know what it was supposed to look like. All I saw was a big brown rockface at behind the gate.

Also that Chinese footage didn't make sense once we saw the gate. Why was the old Iron Fist fighting them in a forest, did they get through the gate, or did he head down the mountain to a lower path?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 19, 2017

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Gyges posted:

Edit:Also Davos actually looked like he could fight. I wonder if Shou-Lao the Undying just was incapacitated with laughter at Danny's incompetence, falling on top of Danny, which accidentally passed Danny in the Iron Fist final exam.

It would make more sense if Danny lucked into the iron fist back when he first arrived in Chinese heaven. That would explain why his training seems to solely consist of six monks with sticks continuously beating him up. For 15 years.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Is it vanilla ice cream?

Shut up and die.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vanilla ice cream is actually good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best part has been every fight scene reminded me of a vastly superior action sequence from another show.

So far I've rewatched chunks of Banshee, Arrow, and Nikita. Anyone else have some good suggestions?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Episode 2 should have been episode 1. START with Danny in the psychiatric ward, reveal who he is and how he got there through the interview mechanism. End with him punching out the wall.

Instead episode 1 is boring as poo poo with danny running around saying "hey I'm danny" but never bothering to mention any priviliged information that would prove it. It introduces Al who could have been developed into an interesting character but gets killed off in the same episode. Then it recaps everything that happened in that episode in episode 2 anyway. Then it ends with him passing out.

DD season 1s first episode ended with a kickass fight scene and then episode 2 ended with the hallway fight

ufarn
May 30, 2009

henkman posted:

I always think the "we can't kill the bad guys" dilemma that these shows do is stupid, so I'm glad the punisher is around and getting his own show
Using them as meat shields for bullets is apparently okay.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The last episode of Arrow had a better fight than any of Danny's.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

The best part has been every fight scene reminded me of a vastly superior action sequence from another show.

So far I've rewatched chunks of Banshee, Arrow, and Nikita. Anyone else have some good suggestions?

Someone recommended me "Into the Badlands" after I complained about Iron Fist. Just watched the first episode and goddamn it's got some nice fights.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Into the Badlands has pretty good choreography. Second season comes back on today I think.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Let's not kill anybody let's just instigate a gang war so that a bunch of people all kill each other

We are very moral characters with strong chi and bushido.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

How did Danny perm and frost his hair in the monastery?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Joy Chat: Colossal daddy issues explain her decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm watching the first episode of Iron Fist and just watched a really bizarre scene where a teenager acts like he's five years old. This is a weird show.