Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 35: Glob

Here's a Hulk enemy I'm not very familiar with. The only Glob I know of is Herman and this guy is no Glob Herman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Similar concept to Man-Thing, I think, but he first appeared in 1969, so he managed to beat both Man-Thing and Swamp-Thing by two years.

I really enjoy all those old Bronze Age Hulk stories from when Wein and Englehart and Thomas and the rest were writing them and he fought other big monster dudes like the Glob, the Bi-Beast, Qnax, Torgo, Xemnu, Zzzax, the Missing Link etc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All three are based on The Heap who debuted in 1942.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

All three are based on The Heap who debuted in 1942.

That guy is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOtn9ofWWaI

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As far as fat fetish poo poo goes, Claremont has nothing on the comic strip "Rose is Rose" from 10 or so years ago. It seems to have largely stopped doing it in more recent strips, but for a long time, there was an ongoing bit about how the dad would try to feed Rose to make her fat, and would show his dream fat version of her.

http://cartoonfatness.wikia.com/wiki/Rose_Is_Rose

Also, there was another teleporting robot, Eleven that showed up in, I believe, the first Cable ongoing in some of the future bits. It *might* have been in X-Force, but these seem to have story right up to about X-Cutioner's Song, so it would be probably concurrent to when this was being published, since that ongoing came out when Cable returned from being marooned in the timestream with Stryfe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Those are a lot older than ten years - Wimmer started drawing the strip in the early 2000s and his name would be on the title plate/signature. Last time it came up in the comic strip megathread the theory was the fat fetish was either fading by the time Brady wanted to retire, or it ended when he retired and passed drawing duties to Wimmer; either because no longer drawing it meant it lost its appeal for him, or because Wimmer also took over writing on Brady's behalf.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

:dogbutton:

I fear to click, yet I cannot turn away.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

the Bi-Beast

Biphobia is real

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HitTheTargets posted:

I haven't thought about it much, but I always assumed it was just as much a Claremontism as the body modification and "No quarter asked."

To be fair if it has basically anything to do with mutants it stands a good chance of being a Claremontism considering that the X-Men were essentially his private fiefdom for almost two decades.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 36: Hate-Monger

A clone of Adolph Hitler? Yeesh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Special skills and abilities: Talent in painting."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would like to nitpick that it was not the Hate Monger, Adolf Hitler consciousness drifting between (alleged) clones, in Captain America & The Falcon #211-212 but the actual physical brain of Original Adolf Hitler.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kirby hated Hitler so drat much that he just wanted him to be clowned on for all time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hate-Monger is one of the great Marvel villains because yeah, he's basically just Hitler, but the point of him is that Nazi Germany can happen anywhere if we let hate blind us. There's been a bunch of Hate-Mongers, some without the Hitler consciousness, but they're all the same basic metaphor.

A couple years ago, the Black Panther comic had a version of the Hate-Monger who had a bodyguard who remains my favorite on-the-nose political commentary in recent years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
former partner of blastaar. as in the throwaway ff villain who lives in the negative zone? that's weird as heck even for the mind of hitler in a cloned body.

also, i like how he has a great big h on his shirt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

former partner of blastaar. as in the throwaway ff villain who lives in the negative zone? that's weird as heck even for the mind of hitler in a cloned body.

also, i like how he has a great big h on his shirt.

I might be getting my stories confused, but I'm pretty sure the Hate-Monger who teamed up with Blastaar was secretly the Man-Beast, who's basically the Satan of Counter-Earth. He pretended to be Hate-Monger because he thought it was funny(the actual reason was probably just for the story to have a pointless twist).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I might be getting my stories confused, but I'm pretty sure the Hate-Monger who teamed up with Blastaar was secretly the Man-Beast, who's basically the Satan of Counter-Earth. He pretended to be Hate-Monger because he thought it was funny(the actual reason was probably just for the story to have a pointless twist).

If the Internet has taught us anything it's that douchebags always think pretending to be Hitler is funny

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think Hate-Monger actually looked interesting and intimidating in his first appearance

This is 1961, and here you have a villain who isn't built like a typical comic book character, he's solidly built and slouchy. He's wearing dirty looking armor and combat boots when everyone else is still in their original jumpsuits. The tunic and hood are ragged and ill fitting.

The pose with the flames and barbed wire helps for sure, but the way they present him here does a lot more for the character then the broad daylight posing in the handbooks imo.

All that being said you could really sum up his aesthetic as KKK Dr Doom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahaha all of the faces of the Four. Jesus Reed calm the hell down.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar. I was thinking maybe they got their wires crossed with Psycho Man who had a robot Hate Monger built, but even he doesn't get any hits. Blastaar's only friend seems to be Annihilus who hates him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar. I was thinking maybe they got their wires crossed with Psycho Man who had a robot Hate Monger built, but even he doesn't get any hits. Blastaar's only friend seems to be Annihilus who hates him.

Yeah I checked and I was confused. I read too many issues of old Spider-man in a row and melded the stories in my mind. Hate-Monger/Man-Beast did have allies who blasted things, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar.

This is the most gloriously comic-book phrase. :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 37: Doctor Nightshade

Tilda Johnson is a character that goes way back to Steve Englehart's run on Captain America in the '70s and has recently resurfaced in David Walker's Nighthawk and Occupy Avengers. She's a tech and cybernetics expert. Recently she joined Hawkeye and Red Wolf to try and carve out a new path for herself as a hero.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I choose to believe the protection from werewolves is entirely incidental. No connection to her gimmick or anything, she's just very specifically cautious.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tilda is a great example of how there are no bad characters; she's been great in Nighthawk and now in Occupy Avengers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Tilda is a great example of how there are no bad characters

This thread proves otherwise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If she tilts her head even slightly to the side... ouch.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

This thread proves otherwise.

Dude if you think 8-Ball is a bad character you have no soul

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Okay, but what's your pitch for reviving Man's Laughter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude if you think 8-Ball is a bad character you have no soul

No, he's amazing. I'm talking like Razor Fist or Manslaughter or Trump or that little horse looking guy I can't remember the name of without looking.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

No, he's amazing. I'm talking like Razor Fist or Manslaughter or Trump or that little horse looking guy I can't remember the name of without looking.

I duno, I don't think any of those guys are inherently bad characters. Hell, Manslaughter was actually kind of a neat idea (a psychotic assassin who basically gets shanghai'd into helping save the world), Razorfist is a dude so committed to swording people to death that he turns his hands into swords which means there's gotta be some great body horror poo poo to talk about there, Trump is a stage magician bank robber and I'm pretty sure that's an idea that the right writer can do cool poo poo with, and the little horse dude I barely remember anything about so maybe he's just irredeemable, but I doubt it.

There's cool ideas to be found there. It's not that the characters are bad they've just been badly used. That's how I tend to look at it anyways. If we live in a world where the Spot can be a legit scary bad guy we shouldn't assume some characters have no potential IMHO.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be fair, was it The Spot who was scary or Coyote? (Or both, haven't read far enough honestly.)

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Immonen made him look pretty mean in Ultimate Spider-Man? Maybe? I don't remember it very well, just that it was his first issue (and I think the first one without Bagley on art).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

If she tilts her head even slightly to the side... ouch.

Still better than her original costume, which is the most 12-year-old-boy thing ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Still better than her original costume, which is the most 12-year-old-boy thing ever.

"Never stop buying our comics, children."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Most of the weirdos in this thread are more bad designs than bad characters.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Spot's been cool since the 90s Spider-Man cartoon imo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

"Never stop buying our comics, children."
It's nice to see comic book artists have never understood heels

Well either that or she's actually floating, which I guess is possible

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

It's nice to see comic book artists have never understood heels

Well either that or she's actually floating, which I guess is possible

They're clearly dancing, look at the Contessa in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Who thought pauldrons that actually don't fit on the shoulder was ever a good idea?

• Locked thread