Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

General Morden posted:

it has something to do with the fact that capcom USA owns the SF license and that apparently, sf5 on arcade is owned exclusively by taito and its arcades or something

it's all weird and funny

Why don't they just use the PS4 version? I get the argument about "arcade perfect" but it's likely more or less the exact same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CaptCommy posted:

Pretty sure people will buy anything that's got Street Fighter on the box.

I'm not gonna say it's the end of the franchise or anything, but evidently a F2P game with a $60 entry fee is a pretty hard sell

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=232256119

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dias posted:

JWong is just relaxing his jaw in preparation to suck off MvC:I, to be fair.

It's weird that the complaint is "game is unbalanced" instead of "game is poo poo", I suppose that's just implied.

I mean, there's unfun unbalanced and fun unbalanced. Games that are unbalanced but fun are generally like that because they're full of cool strong characters. Meanwhile SF isn't balanced very well and it's also full of boring poo poo so it's the double whammy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CaptCommy posted:

Pretty sure people will buy anything that's got Street Fighter on the box.

Yeah just like they with SFV.

Oh wait.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah just like they with SFV.

Oh wait.

TBF it still sells 10x better than any non SF fighter. Or do MK and Injustice come close? I guess Injustice 2 will be the first non-niche FG to come out since SFV, right? So that might give a bit of info of just how much the name boosts it.

Fighting games are ridiculously niche. SF's the exception, not the norm. I get that it's got the weight of 25 years of cultural legacy or so but I to be honest I'm kinda amazed at how many people buy street fighter games. Not because I'm like "oh they should play GG instead" but more like I'm pretty sure that 90% of it's audience is mainstream console warriors who just want to mash on gamepad and SF is a horrible game to mash in and play casually. Soul Caliber was really the peak of mainstream fighters that anyone could press buttons in and have fun whereas I feel like everything about SF's gameplay feels like "this shouldn't be popular with casuals, but somehow it is."

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

punk rebel ecks posted:

SxT didn't get much of a sales boost after the big patch IIRC.

Relaunches after a disappointing initial launch rarely leaves a chance fir a more successful second impression. The only exception I cab think if is Finak Fantasy XIV.

realm reborn was way more effort than a large scale rebalancing in this would be to be fair. it may not lure in new buyers immediately, but a happy tournament scene can sustain itself, just look at KI after the season 2 updates dropped.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

attackmole posted:

TBF it still sells 10x better than any non SF fighter. Or do MK and Injustice come close? I guess Injustice 2 will be the first non-niche FG to come out since SFV, right? So that might give a bit of info of just how much the name boosts it.

Fighting games are ridiculously niche. SF's the exception, not the norm. I get that it's got the weight of 25 years of cultural legacy or so but I to be honest I'm kinda amazed at how many people buy street fighter games. Not because I'm like "oh they should play GG instead" but more like I'm pretty sure that 90% of it's audience is mainstream console warriors who just want to mash on gamepad and SF is a horrible game to mash in and play casually. Soul Caliber was really the peak of mainstream fighters that anyone could press buttons in and have fun whereas I feel like everything about SF's gameplay feels like "this shouldn't be popular with casuals, but somehow it is."

Mk is far and a away the biggest seller iirc

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Real hurthling! posted:

Mk is far and a away the biggest seller iirc

MKX sold between 5 and 6 million. SF4 managed to make it to eight million, but that's with multiple rereleases and being the prominent game on the tournament scene.

There will be a SF6, but there's likely going to be a substantial rethinking process between then and now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

realm reborn was way more effort than a large scale rebalancing in this would be to be fair. it may not lure in new buyers immediately, but a happy tournament scene can sustain itself, just look at KI after the season 2 updates dropped.

Big companies don't give a poo poo about something as crazy niche as "tournament scene."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

TBF it still sells 10x better than any non SF fighter.

It's really weird that people still think this.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

punk rebel ecks posted:

Big companies don't give a poo poo about something as crazy niche as "tournament scene."

given what theyve put into the pro tour i doubt that a little bit in this particular case. still, here's hoping. i want to like the game again at some point.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

punk rebel ecks posted:

they do but only because its really helpful for generating continuous word of mouth in the news, and a dedicated fanbase to help sell your product.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Double Bill posted:

I guess you need the license if you intend to broadcast the gameplay footage, and monetize it somehow (embedded or Twitch ads)

There are broadcast rights issues in Smash 4, we have about a million tournaments a year but you can't run the Sonic stage because of licensing complications with the music (the third party stages all use original music instead of new compositions). Sometimes players on stream will "gentleman's" pick omega Sonic stage as a goof and those matches are either muted or not uploaded to Youtube archives. New standard rules have banned gentleman picking nonlegal stages for probably this reason

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

they absolutely care about whoever can yell loud on social media

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

attackmole posted:

TBF it still sells 10x better than any non SF fighter.

Wrong.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

anime was right posted:

they do but only because its really helpful for generating continuous word of mouth in the news, and a dedicated fanbase to help sell your product.

Doesn't seem to work for SFV being that it sold only an additional 100k since its launch window.

attackmole posted:

Is the genre really THAT niche though?

Street Fighter (sans V), Marvel, Super Smash Bros., Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Tekken, and Injustice are all have modern multi-million selling entries.

It may not be MOBA or FPS levels of popularity, but it's not like the genre is super niche like shoot-em-ups.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tampa_Bison/status/843374822256230401

Lol

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yes, the player with more health generally wins those

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

punk rebel ecks posted:

Assuming Capcom makes Street Fighter VI, when exactly should it come out? I mean commercially Street Fighter V is a failure. Not only had it failed to make a big initial splash, but it also has no legs. Due to this I'd think Capcom would create the next entry sooner than six years after the previous one.

SF games are heavily dependent on their first iteration, because the casual crowd is larger and that sold "meh" from what I understand.

Every huge change aside from balance, costs money on top of the base game.

So "in a good place now" means "in a good place if you buy maybe the 60 bucks in content to make it complete, find the character you like, and play it with people"

Unless they sell a version that rounds everything up before season 3 happens I wouldn't count on 6 being something they rushed to, or I'd see it being on switch/microsoft if they really wanted to snatch an exclusive.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 19, 2017

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Yes, the player with more health generally wins those

They were both at chipping point, which is 1 HP (IIRC), technically ibuki has a higher percentage of her health left.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
It's not even "in a good place now" because the fundamental game is full of dumb and bad decisions.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

They were both at chipping point, which is 1 HP (IIRC), technically ibuki has a higher percentage of her health left.

BIson had a sliver of yellow life left, which should be more than 1

e: watch it full screen and wait for the quality to improve (few seconds)

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 19, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Double Bill posted:

BIson had a sliver of yellow life left, which should be more than 1

He doesn't seem to have a sliver at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
No, he does have a sliver (and Ibuki doesn't). It's hard to see, but it's there in high-res.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Yea theres literally a pixel of yellow life on Bisons side and nothing on Ibukis side.

No chip death is bad.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

He doesn't seem to have a sliver at all.

he has like 2 Hp and she has like 1. The ibuki should have used 1 more special.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Yea theres literally a pixel of yellow life on Bisons side and nothing on Ibukis side.

No chip death is bad.

i had to lean like all the way into my monitor to see that poo poo, but so there is.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/RyanJosephHart/status/842689340744589313

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

3 hearts is good right?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I watch NA streams on Twitch and the rollback seems 100x worse than what we get in Europe. Like, it seems far worse than what SF4 ever was and I would have considered that 100% unplayable, not worth bothering to play randoms online with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I watch NA streams on Twitch and the rollback seems 100x worse than what we get in Europe. Like, it seems far worse than what SF4 ever was and I would have considered that 100% unplayable, not worth bothering to play randoms online with.

it's bad

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The only issues with lag I've had was with PS4 players. No issues going PC to PC.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
wireless netplay is garbage. it's a shame that it's the console standard and quickly becoming the pc standard

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zand posted:

wireless netplay is garbage. it's a shame that it's the console standard and quickly becoming the pc standard

fighting games should quietly crash and uninstall if they detect nothing in an ethernet port when you try to play online.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

Pocket fighter on switch with pc crossplay is gonna make people real angry

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Pocket fighter on switch with pc crossplay is gonna make people real angry

Add option to play PC only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pomp posted:

fighting games should quietly crash and uninstall when you try to play online.

fyp