Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

MaxxBot posted:

They're not lazy, it's that desktop CPUs are less of a revenue generator than server and laptops CPUs so it makes little economic sense to focus on them, combined with the fact that competition from AMD has been basically nonexistent for the past several years until now. From that position it makes sense to milk desktop users for minimal effort because what else are they gonna do?

Who knows, maybe Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2.0 will finally force Intel's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JnnyThndrs posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but $100 for hyperthreading? That's just a big 'gently caress you' to consumers. Same thing for the prices of the upper crust chips on the HEDT platform, $1100 and $1700 is just ridiculous bullshit because they can.

AMD used to take people to the cleaner's too, back when they could get away with it. The high-end Athlon 64s and X2s were over $1000 back in the early 2000s, which works out closer to $1400 today.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 20, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MaxxBot posted:

They're not lazy, it's that desktop CPUs are less of a revenue generator than server and laptops CPUs so it makes little economic sense to focus on them, combined with the fact that competition from AMD has been basically nonexistent for the past several years until now. From that position it makes sense to milk desktop users for minimal effort because what else are they gonna do?

You're not addressing the actual statement though. It's unlikely any amount of special research effort would have resulted in Intel being able to put out consumer price range CPUs with 12 full cores and 3x the IPC on each of them, even though a naive projection based on the progression from the Pentium 4 to the early Core i series chips might have indicated that would happen.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MaxxBot posted:

The client computing group still makes a lot more revenue for Intel than the data center group FYI. (Profits on the other hand, :iiam: )

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

redeyes posted:

Intel moved the one thing that can break to the motherboard. pins

Yeah but why would AMD do that, too, for server parts but make some presumably lower production number consumer with special snowflake pins?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fishmech posted:

You're not addressing the actual statement though. It's unlikely any amount of special research effort would have resulted in Intel being able to put out consumer price range CPUs with 12 full cores and 3x the IPC on each of them, even though a naive projection based on the progression from the Pentium 4 to the early Core i series chips might have indicated that would happen.

Noone is actually asking for 3x IPC and 12 full cores though, and it was just a facetious comment? The more realistic response, I thought, is that Intel has simply focused on reducing power while maintaining/slightly increasing IPC each generation.

I think what a lot of people actually wish, is that Intel followed the console market approach, where slight improvements continue throughout the console's lifespan but prices continue to go down. So maybe at times when IPC has only increased by 5% or such, Intel might have offered that generation at a lower price than the previous. But Intel has never and will never do that, so whatever. It is silly thought that there's still such a price discrepancy between i5s and i7s for hyper-threading, but I blame consumers for buying i7s and not forcing Intel to reduce the price delta between the two each generation.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I thought that Intel's Hyper-threading added substantially more complexity to their CPUs and therefore cost more to produce and that's why i7 chips cost substantially more than i5 chips for the consumer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SourKraut posted:

Noone is actually asking for 3x IPC and 12 full cores though, and it was just a facetious comment?

I mean, I wouldn't say no... :science:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

spasticColon posted:

I thought that Intel's Hyper-threading added substantially more complexity to their CPUs and therefore cost more to produce and that's why i7 chips cost substantially more than i5 chips for the consumer.

Nope, same chips.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spasticColon posted:

i5s are the same chip. Intel only uses two different dies for their desktop lineup, there's the 4-core that gets used for i3s/i5s/i7s (also for Xeon E3), then the 12-core die that gets used for HEDT i7s and E5s/E7s. All their other product distinctions are done with binning and e-fuses.

Die harvesting is definitely a thing, but only Intel would be able to tell you their yield rates. In general though hyperthreading doesn't take much extra space (hence why you would bother with it versus just adding more cores). I imagine there are very few i7s that are fully functional except for the second thread, certainly not enough to fill the huge demand for i5s.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SourKraut posted:

I think what a lot of people actually wish, is that Intel followed the console market approach, where slight improvements continue throughout the console's lifespan but prices continue to go down.

Er, but that's exactly what they've done and people complained about : console revisions pretty much only reduce power used to get the same performance. You normally don't get any improvements in speed. The PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio buck the trend by being actually improved speed/performance devices, rather than just being process shrinks and higher chip integration the way the revisions to the PS3/360 or PS2 or PS1 were.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

i5s are the same chip. Intel only uses two different dies for their desktop lineup, there's the 4-core that gets used for i3s/i5s/i7s (also for Xeon E3), then the 12-core die that gets used for HEDT i7s and E5s/E7s. All their other product distinctions are done with binning and e-fuses.

Die harvesting is definitely a thing, but only Intel would be able to tell you their yield rates. In general though hyperthreading doesn't take much extra space (hence why you would bother with it versus just adding more cores). I imagine there are very few i7s that are fully functional except for the second thread, certainly not enough to fill the huge demand for i5s.

I could have sworn that the Celerons / Pentiums / i3s were the dual-core dies that they use for mobile -U CPUs, but really leaky. i3s are actually a 2 core disabled i5?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I imagine there are very few i7s that are fully functional except for the second thread, certainly not enough to fill the huge demand for i5s.

This is also where my complaint with Intel is mostly, around Haswell era the stack should have been Celeron (2C/2T), Pentium (2C/4T), i3 (4C/4T), i5 (4C/8T), i7 (6C/12T+). This wouldn't have been an impossible demand on Intel's margins either, and had they done that loving Ryzen would have been the wettest drat fart.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

I could have sworn that the Celerons / Pentiums / i3s were the dual-core dies that they use for mobile -U CPUs, but really leaky. i3s are actually a 2 core disabled i5?

I don't know about leaky -U or whatever else their production chain might be made from, but at least the physical evidence speaks on this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/fugger/a7.jpg
some OCer's delidded 7700 & i3 7350, the i3 is a smaller die. obviously not the same chip as a 4 core.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
7350:

7700:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/843099198799187968

Translation: There will be a 16C/32T part with an HEDT focus on chipset X399, within 4-6 months. Clocks 2.4 - 2.8 GHz. 2-die MCMs. Quad-channel DDR4. Socket LGA SP3r2. 150W TDP.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Translation: There will be a 16C/32T part with an HEDT focus on chipset X399, within 4-6 months. Clocks 2.4 - 2.8 GHz. 2-die MCMs. Quad-channel DDR4. Socket LGA SP3r2. 150W TDP.

Are there multiple sources for this other than this OrangeKhrush fellow? I was under the impression R7 was AMD taking on HEDT and none of this sounds like anything AMD has telegraphed.

eames
May 9, 2009

I can't make much sense of it either. The release date seems too late to be a beta test for Naples. Corecount is nice but the clockspeed makes it somewhat niche.
Most enthusiasts who can use all those cores would probably prefer a cheap dual e5-2670 build.
16C/32T @ 2.6-3.3 Ghz, 224W combined TDP, 40MB cache, octa-channel DDR3 and $90 per CPU.

Perhaps they're going to release 8C/16T CPUs for that platform? How about a R7 1800X with quadchannel and a couple of the most glaring launch issues fixed?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would like to note that the CanardPC tweet says 2-die MCMs, not 2-socket boards. In other words, knowing what we know about AMD: interposers.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm still lolling that this means OrangeKrush likely has a real leaker in the industry, and that AMD is going to loving roll fixed silicon into bad silicon and lol at early adopters.

Seriously, if you're buying Ryzen or looking at Ryzen, please wait until like, August-September. Plenty of boards, likely higher density of good silicon versus bad, fewer and less annoying BIOS updates/issues. Also get some small entry CPU because Pinnacle/Zen2 is apparently Q1 2018, LMAO.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean "end of Q1 2018", with a non-zero chance of "slip to Q2".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The best part of all this will be reviewers getting fixed R3 silicon to test and having it perform better at similar clocks compared to the older R7/R5 they might have and concluding with more cores = bad.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Remember when the GPU thread's subtitle was "Buy a 970"?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Buy a 7700K

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For gently caress's sake, it's P L A T F R O M. Respect the loving marketing. :colbert:

PLATFROM.

eames
May 9, 2009

This is AMD so I'm calling it now, consumer Zen 2 will have lower IPC but better :airquote:overall performance:airquote: than present Ryzen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For gently caress's sake, it's P L A T F R O M. Respect the loving marketing. :colbert:

PLATFROM.

:xd:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Kazinsal posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Buy a 7700K

If you're making a gaming PC then yeah, if you're doing other stuff it's not that simple.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

In strictly gaming scenario's that's correct. If you want to do anything else, the 1700 is the better choice IMHO.

eames posted:

This is AMD so I'm calling it now, consumer Zen 2 will have lower IPC but better :airquote:overall performance:airquote: than present Ryzen.

Er, how?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

PLATFROM.

:neckbeard:

Can we get a minor thread title change?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 20, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/843864982320267265

What's all this then?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Comments sound like Windows 10 Game Mode, which means the 7700k would likely also get a boost.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

pixaal posted:

Comments sound like Windows 10 Game Mode, which means the 7700k would likely also get a boost.

35% is absolutely unprecedented for Game Mode

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ok here's a before and after:

This would certainly explain things.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So the NT kernel team figured out how to schedule things on Ryzen properly. Neat.

Wonder if this is going to completely invalidate existing game benchmarks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If it's as easy as that then AMDs decision to launch in that state is even more baffling to me

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kazinsal posted:

So the NT kernel team figured out how to schedule things on Ryzen properly. Neat.

This is really odd, even AMD said that there were no problems with the scheduler, so WTF is going on here?

God, they should have sent a few systems with Ryzen chips over to MS a month before launch. :cripes:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

That is kind of a big deal. Any sources?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think people were interpreting "no problems with the scheduler" to mean "Windows 10 performance is as expected" and that wasn't the correct interpretation.

IIRC the current theory is that at launch time Windows 10 was attempting to save power through techniques such as core parking; this update must be turning off some of those power optimizations and allowing the processor to do more managing its own power/performance.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Isn't that before and after the same as disabling HT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

redeyes posted:

That is kind of a big deal. Any sources?

Sorry, that came out a bit too authoritative. I meant based on the screenshots of before and after a recent Windows 10 update that Truga posted.

The before has an 8-thread benchmark eating up core time all over the place. The after has eight threads being used, and eight sitting idle. The after is about 20% faster. This implies that they've fixed the scheduler to not bounce stuff around needlessly in a way that'll cause major performance issues.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

God, they should have sent a few systems with Ryzen chips over to MS a month before launch. :cripes:

Mmmyep. Back in Windows 95's development, they got samples of pretty much everything old, new, and upcoming for testing and writing helper code to support troublesome devices. And hey, it worked pretty well on launch! As long as you didn't have any horrible nasty DOS device drivers, which if you had a CD-ROM drive, you probably did.

Fun fact: one of the driving forces in Windows 95's development was getting the VDM to run DOOM in a window :v:

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread