Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well considering that the speedruns don't register a horse and they still have one during the fight, nothing, you just get a horse. But they do tame one, and I'm unsure if anything changes if you never tame a horse. You're probably just given a random horse though.

You get a sweet bow. So you probably just get a horse too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Modus Pwnens posted:

She just pays that for the first one. After that it's like 10 rupees.

Oh crap you're right. And after I dropped all my apples on death mountain to cook haha

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

This game is pretty awesome but the weapon durability is insanely lame and I would kill for just a basic dodge roll.

Other than dodging, which someone else explained (dodge with the right timing and you get slow-mo and a big counterattack opportunity, too!) I think the weapon durability feels better when you think of weapons like guns in Uncharted or something, where you use them until they run out of ammo (durability) and then ditch them for whatever's handy. Thinking of them as RPG equipment gets frustrating, but if they're just tools to be used and discarded, it starts to flow a lot better, at least for me.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
So I'm lost on the north side of Hebra North Summit my shrine sensor is beeping like crazy but I can't find anything that indicates a nearby shrine; the closest I can gather is that it's somewhere on the sheer cliff face but I haven't been able to find an entrance

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I love this game, but I wish there were three things added: Food/Critters to make a buff that can help with climbing and negate the rain effects, The ability to see the stats and bonuses of weapons and shields on the ground without having to pick them up, and a way to give us meters on our HUD that can show us the durability of our equipped weapons. Maybe they'll add something in the DLC, but I doubt it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Guys want Link too, you know

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wonder if the Zelda devs enjoyed The Witness because this is basically the result of layering combat and crafting on top that formula

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

dragon enthusiast posted:

So I'm lost on the north side of Hebra North Summit my shrine sensor is beeping like crazy but I can't find anything that indicates a nearby shrine; the closest I can gather is that it's somewhere on the sheer cliff face but I haven't been able to find an entrance

Here's a hint: it's under the peak, and you don't break in on the north side.

Stronger hint: investigate that tiny pond east of the summit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Your Computer posted:

So uh

Revali is just straight up a dick with no redeeming qualities huh.

Yeah, he's basically Falco: Zelda edition. The first time they showed him I was glad he's dead.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah it is definitely Falco and why I want to show him I'm worthy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Serious question with flurry rush: has anyone actually managed to trigger it off of the lynel 1h weapon attack where they kind of sweep both their arms in?

Lynels are the easiest enemy to dodge in the game for me, they have the most obvious tells. The timing window for their bullshit Bald Bull charge is the only thing I have trouble with dodging.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

raditts posted:

Lynels are the easiest enemy to dodge in the game for me, they have the most obvious tells. The timing window for their bullshit Bald Bull charge is the only thing I have trouble with dodging.

Dodging it is one thing, but Flurry Rush is weirdly hard to trigger with that double arm sweep.

Spear Lynels can just eat a dick altogether. I encountered a white-maned one and barely scraped through with serious abuse of Stasis.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hope that stalnox rests in pieces

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Serious question with flurry rush: has anyone actually managed to trigger it off of the lynel 1h weapon attack where they kind of sweep both their arms in?

That potential bug aside, I agree that for most enemies it's just practice your timing, but some of the flurry trigger timings either "can be" or just flat out are off. I've had attacks where it's literally a visible "you have just backflipped over where the weapon currently is" dodge that won't trigger flurries, but the "proper" timing is one where you're watching the enemy or his weapon clip through you in slow mo.

I am positive that I have. The last couple of Lynels I fought I beat exclusively with flurry attacks. Several of their attacks have weird timing and positioning requirements, and the actual attack will appear to have missed and passed by before link even jumps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never had this rough of a time with the controls in a game. Like even after probably 5 hours in I cannot get comfortable with them at all. It's super frustrating.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I just wrapped up Captured Memories and the Master Sword's "voice" when it speaks to Zelda is the sound Fi makes when she appears to talk to Link in Skyward Sword. I thought that was a nice touch.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol blood moon also reset my orange ball :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I have never had this rough of a time with the controls in a game. Like even after probably 5 hours in I cannot get comfortable with them at all. It's super frustrating.

Legit I didn't get comfortable with switching weapons for hours. Everything else I got used to--jumping with X, sprinting with B, all of that--but the weapon-swapping took forever for me to get used to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of a mix of how uncomfortable I am with the Wii U controller (the button placement is the wooorst) all of the confirm/cancel being swapped because I guess Nintendo is the last holdout to not give western players that option and most of all that the controls are pretty complex and nonstandard.

They aren't actually bad per-say, but I can't believe after 5 hours I am so uncomfortable in my own skin playing it. I feel like I'm learning how to play video games for the first time.

And of course by the time it's all over I'll be used to it and every other game in existence is going to gently caress with me for a week.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've been playing probably 60 hours and I still gently caress up the controls constantly. Maybe it's just the WiiU Pro Controller having a different stick placement or that the game has most of the same basic functions as Dark Souls but remapped via random number generator or that like, the sprinting button on foot makes you get off of the horse instead of go faster. It still takes me 3 tries sometimes trying to switch weapons. And oh god how many times I've gotten smashed by Lynels thinking I was blocking after firing an arrow.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

Are you playing on Wii U? I'm using a U Pro Controller and yeah, I got really loving close to giving up because I just felt utterly loving frustrated with it, but now I've gotten pretty good and over most of it. I still end up hitting crouch or something and getting hosed because my shield doesn't come out or getting stuck with Bow out trying to change my Sword weapon or other things like that. So I still gently caress things up but just keep at it until muscle memory starts to kick in, well worth it.

I really don't know what it is, either there's just some really weird unintuitive assignments or something. Granted my Wii U has been collecting dust the past year+ and mostly have been using it for platformers prior with Bayonetta 2 the only exception so I'm really pretty loving rusty with it, and really more of a PC-DS4 controller person in similar games like Witcher 3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm on Wii U. I'm in the same boat where I just want to quit sometimes because of the controls but the game is so good I can't stop.

I hate when games have special flower control schemes and give people zero options to customize it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The controls are definitely not great considering how often your weapon breaks mid battle. Juggling bows and swords and monitoring durability is pretty annoying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I played for 70 hours and pretty much only had trouble with the controls for the first half-hour :shrug:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hate every motion control puzzles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a.lo posted:

I hate every motion control puzzles.

I only hate the ones that involve rotating something in full 3D space where I end up having to contort my whole body to manipulate a cube 360 degrees

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I liked the ball maze one once I realized you could just flip the tablet over and bypass the maze

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Augus posted:

I only hate the ones that involve rotating something in full 3D space where I end up having to contort my whole body to manipulate a cube 360 degrees

You can't do that while on a plane!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can just take off the right joycon and rotate that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

But then you can take do it on a plane.

Actually you can turn various components of airplane mode on and off in the main options. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

You only have to use airplane mode during takeoff and landing now.

Ok, took care of three inevitable posts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

hi I'm playing the Wii U version where I need to rotate a giant loving gamepad

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it is only now that i realized what a luxury joycons are

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of a mix of how uncomfortable I am with the Wii U controller (the button placement is the wooorst) all of the confirm/cancel being swapped because I guess Nintendo is the last holdout to not give western players that option and most of all that the controls are pretty complex and nonstandard.

They aren't actually bad per-say, but I can't believe after 5 hours I am so uncomfortable in my own skin playing it. I feel like I'm learning how to play video games for the first time.

And of course by the time it's all over I'll be used to it and every other game in existence is going to gently caress with me for a week.

Nintendo is the only company that still gets confirm/cancel right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Augus posted:

hi I'm playing the Wii U version where I need to rotate a giant loving gamepad

So rotate it while looking at the TV I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just flail your controller wildly until it works.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Is any of the jewelry you can buy worth it? I'm debating on chucking some of the gems I've been hording for rupees since they all seem to just grant the same thing other armor sets give you and you miss out on set bonuses.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Just flail your controller wildly until it works.

you clearly haven't done the shrine with the 6-sided cube with torches on each side that all need to be lit using the motion controls while avoiding the water that is threatening to douse them

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

siggy2021 posted:

Is any of the jewelry you can buy worth it? I'm debating on chucking some of the gems I've been hording for rupees since they all seem to just grant the same thing other armor sets give you and you miss out on set bonuses.

They were worth it for me, because I ended up getting access to them very early on in the game. At the end of the game, they are worthless, because they are outclassed by the armor sets which do the same thing, and contribute towards a set bonus.

The amber earrings are the only exception, if you're stacking armor for a hard fight. They are very easy to upgrade.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Nintendo is the only company that still gets confirm/cancel right.

The worst is Sony because their Japanese games are O to confirm and X to cancel, but US games are X to confirm and O to cancel. If I play an import on my US consoles the save menus will even be reversed from the game I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

you clearly haven't done the shrine with the 6-sided cube with torches on each side that all need to be lit using the motion controls while avoiding the water that is threatening to douse them

flail your controller until the box is in a position where water isn't hitting any torch, then light everything with a torch/bow and arrow/flame rod