Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can only spend one evade per attack :eng101:

I forgot about that. It's even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

First try with Boosk Ketsu, drat. It murders small ships. Got a double tractor Fearless Bossk shot off.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Of the Rebel ships, the only one I'd argue against is the U-Wing. Not that it's bad, mind you, but it's not nearly as good as the other ships you're considering.

I'll probably wait on it then and get the 2400 probably. I will probably get it eventually, because I really want Rex crew, because Rex + Gunner on a falcon with a generic pilot is hilarious and would be fun for tournaments.

I could also join the dark side and get a Y-wing. It's tempting because it's a different play-style of rebel ship, and it's from the OT, but I might have mentioned, TLTs are the one meta I really hate.

I've also realized there are some more practical things I want (a new microphone that's better than this 80s-90s piece of crap I use), so I might get that instead.

Thanks for the feedback y'all

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Foolster41 posted:

I'll probably wait on it then and get the 2400 probably. I will probably get it eventually, because I really want Rex crew, because Rex + Gunner on a falcon with a generic pilot is hilarious and would be fun for tournaments.

I could also join the dark side and get a Y-wing. It's tempting because it's a different play-style of rebel ship, and it's from the OT, but I might have mentioned, TLTs are the one meta I really hate.

I've also realized there are some more practical things I want (a new microphone that's better than this 80s-90s piece of crap I use), so I might get that instead.

Thanks for the feedback y'all

Regarding that Genesis Red infinite loop combo:

Is there an "infinite loop" rule in X-Wing the way there is for FFG's various card games? For those that aren't aware, there is a rule for their card games that says if you hit an infinite loop, you just pick how many cycles that loop goes through, then continue on.

If there's no such rule in X-Wing, you could technically do something like:

Play the game normally, taking care not to trigger the loop
Once you're ahead on points, trigger the loop
Declare yourself the winner since there's no rule to say you can shortcut the loop.

Reminds me of that Warhammer 40k story where some dude liked to hold his entire army in reserve, so a guy placed his army so it was impossible for the other guy to bring them in as reinforcements: http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Except that any reasonable TO is just gonna say, do it until you run out of physical tokens to assign to the model and if it takes too long you'll be DQed for slow play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Slandible posted:

First try with Boosk Ketsu, drat. It murders small ships. Got a double tractor Fearless Bossk shot off.

I really hope Kylo doesn't get too common because Kylo really fucks this up.
What's your build? Mine's still a little in flux but currently looking something like this:

Ketsu Onyo (38)
Push the Limit (3)
Dengar (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Shadow Caster (3)

Bossk (35)
Rage (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Gunner (5)
Inspiring Recruit (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Cluster Missiles on Bossk are great.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So, I'm considering reviving the x-wing risk game I ran here last year. I'm going to wait until more info on the C-ROC is revealed though, so all 3 factions have huge ships.

Also in the meantime, I feel like there's a bunch of things that I need to rework in the rules.

So I thought I'd ask this here ahead of time, and see if people would be interested before I go ahead.
A heads up This would be a long term (months probably) campaign

-Does these rules make sense?
-Any problems from the last run that I can make this go smoother? Things left unclear in the rules?
-Any things that were confusing? (A player was confused about number of attacks you could do per turn, which is maybe the rules be unclear)
-Should the huge ship requirement be every 1,000 points instead of 600?
-Is the requirement too annoying? (I really want to have huge ships, but no one's going to buy them without this rule)
-Should we do the bulk start up (starting color areas) or the pick method more like Risk? (The later will take a little longer, but perhaps make this more evenly sized for each player)
-Any other thoughts?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unique pilots getting removed from that player's availability if shot down means you're going to end up with a sea of generics and nobody wants that. I'd say that if they're shot down you have to rebuy them and must wait at least one turn without buying them to buy them again.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Strobe posted:

Unique pilots getting removed from that player's availability if shot down means you're going to end up with a sea of generics and nobody wants that. I'd say that if they're shot down you have to rebuy them and must wait at least one turn without buying them to buy them again.

Yeah, just say they're in the bacta tanks for a turn or something.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Strobe posted:

Fair point I guess. There are a lot of unique though (looking at rebels it's a ratio of 3 uniques for every 1 nameless) , and I like the idea of the loss in war of having the named pilots whittled down across the course of the entire conflict. Maybe they get one "escape" and come back the next round the first time, but are eliminated the second time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In a game where it was so easy to lose them, maybe, but X-wing games are going to average something like 75% attrition on both sides.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could have it be based on a die roll, so that there is a risk of death (and you want to keep your pilots safe), but without an absurd no-one-lasts-more-than-three-battles attrition rate.

e.g. roll one attack die, a blank/eye means they get picked up by a friendly ship and can be re-purchased as normal, a hit means they're lost for a bit and can't be re-bought until X rounds later, a crit means they're perma-dead.

Roll separately for every named person if there's unique crew on a ship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Modified Aturi Cluster roll. 2 dice for defending, 3 dice for attacking. Each hit is a round they have to miss, roll one crit and they lose most expensive upgrade (dead if no upgrade), roll 2+ and they're gone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Strobe posted:

Modified Aturi Cluster roll. 2 dice for defending, 3 dice for attacking. Each hit is a round they have to miss, roll one crit and they lose most expensive upgrade (dead if no upgrade), roll 2+ and they're gone.

So wait, the player whose character is dying rolls 2 greens and the other player rolls 3 reds? And then you can cancel as per normal?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No. If you character was shot down while you were defending a territory, you roll 2 red dice. If your character was shot down while you were attacking a territory, you roll 3 red dice.

Though that idea is also interesting.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The loving US is such a rip off for shipping. Trying to magnetize my collection and ordered about $30 bucks of magnets and multiple places wanted to charge between 100-190 for shipping alone to Australia. Ordered the same amount from greenstuff world in spain and am paying 10 bux for even faster shipping.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Strobe posted:

No. If you character was shot down while you were defending a territory, you roll 2 red dice. If your character was shot down while you were attacking a territory, you roll 3 red dice.

Oh, ok, that also works.

Raged posted:

The loving US is such a rip off for shipping. Trying to magnetize my collection and ordered about $30 bucks of magnets and multiple places wanted to charge between 100-190 for shipping alone to Australia. Ordered the same amount from greenstuff world in spain and am paying 10 bux for even faster shipping.

We have to pay for our freedom somehow!!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

We have to pay for our freedom somehow!!

Or we don't know how other countries work.

Actually I would guess that's pretty close to the truth. US-based e-commerce businesses probably do at least 90% of their business within the country. I bet Spain-based ones are closer to 50%.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Strobe posted:

IDK if I like adding an element of randomness to it, though I suppose you are still having to pay for that unit again if you do get to "keep" them (plus re-buying their upgrades).

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Make a injury roll/table with said pilot being out for multiple games with a particularly bad roll being death.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

tankfish posted:

Make a injury roll/table with said pilot being out for multiple games with a particularly bad roll being death.

Now I know this suggestion is not supposed to be serious (right?). I want this to still be x-wing, not Warhams. :smug:

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Make a rule where once a pilot is out 2 games in a row, he's permanently out.
So when a pilot is out once, the player has to choose. If the pilot is a key element of his list, does he risk it for the next game? Or does he play it safe, but is forced to play something new? Both ways make the player exercise an interesting choice without being so random.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Maybe assign the pilot a critical hit effect for one game? Not the actual damage card, just the effect.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Now I know this suggestion is not supposed to be serious (right?). I want this to still be x-wing, not Warhams. :smug:

I'm doing a drive by with that post. I was looking through the thread about which ships to buy first for a Scum fleet.

tankfish
May 31, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Maybe assign the pilot a critical hit effect for one game? Not the actual damage card, just the effect.

See this looks like a good idea maybe if that pilot get shot down in mutiple consecutive games you have to draw more?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Triple jumpmasters won the tatooine open. Lets re-welcome our new meta lords

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Triple jumpmasters won the tatooine open. Lets re-welcome our new meta lords
I can just imagine the whining this is going to cause.

Next FAQ is going to require players to thrown all cards and ships from the punishing one expansion in the trash after a win.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Final of Naboo is Heaver with Miranda, Stresshog and Biggs vs 2 Torp Scouts and Fenn. I hope Heaver gets murdered.

EDIT:gently caress, he is gonna win

Raged fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 19, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

he won

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Heaver is back to be the hero the Rebellion needs

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
pls nerf Biggs

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Make Biggs effect enemy ships in his firing arc only, thanks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Make Biggs say "once per round" and we'll be good.

Vader wasn't in his firing arc in A New Hope, after all. :ssh:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Strobe posted:

Make Biggs say "once per round" and we'll be good.

Vader wasn't in his firing arc in A New Hope, after all. :ssh:

I just don't think once per round solves the Biggs issue, since unless you really think splitting your fire on different targets is a good decision, once per round doesn't really nerf biggs; unless there's something super-fragile behind him and you have enough ships to kill it even with one throwing its shots away on Biggs, you're just gonna focus fire on Biggs anyways. That's assuming "once per round" is actually "the first enemy shooting" because allowing the Biggs player to choose an opponent's ship to target Biggs that turn seems a tad too powerful still to me.

That and making it in-arc still is decent for the joust but loses viability as the game goes on. But I really doubt FFG touches Biggs at all, so.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It turns it into a decision rather than an auto-on, and removes the enforced fly-by-flowchart Biggs enforces on the opponent.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Why not have Biggs only work on ships outside his firing arc then. Makes it hard for him to protect jousters and keep in formation for multiple turns.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, I finally found time to get out to the nearest game store and played my first game of X-wing. Using this list.

Rey (45)
Wired (1)
Burnout SLAM (1)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)
R5-X3 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

He was running a Skill 5 Starviper, two skill 1 Starvipers and a skill 1 Headhunter. We actually ran out of time because the store was closing, but the Falcon acquitted itself pretty well. And the BB-8 X-wing was fairly helpful with its free barrel roll out of greens. I just wish I had a more useful Astromech than R5-X3. It's pretty much just there for the Integrated damage nullifier.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I commend your opponents desire to run three Star Vipers.

Strobe posted:

pls nerf Biggs

If nerfing Biggs means T65s get buffed down the road then I'm all for nerfing the mustache.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I think it's far more likely any durability-related x-wing upgrades get a PS6+ requirement like Black One than Biggs getting changed. But who knows what FFG will actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Devlan Mud posted:

I think it's far more likely any durability-related x-wing upgrades get a PS6+ requirement like Black One than Biggs getting changed. But who knows what FFG will actually do.

Please no, I want to actually want to use generics ever again.

• Locked thread