Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought the whole dance party thing in Reloaded was the dumbest poo poo ever when I saw it.

He's having a huge orgy at his place later tonight! At least, that's what many of us have heard.

It is true, what many of you have heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pB1zRguAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there's a video game with Jada Plinkett Smith and her crew as the protagonists where they fight the Merovingian between Reloaded and Revolution. That would be e neat idea if it weren't for the information you'd get there that has an actual impact on the movies. Nothing really vital but when the Merovingian goes "Hey man, long time no see" to Seraph in Revolution it's because of that game. I think it's also explained there why the actress for the Oracle changed. Those kinds of scenes in the movies can be distracting as hell. You think you are paying attention and suddenly something pops up that you absolutely cannot know unless you played a game.

There's a ton of FMV in that game too that's actually deleted exposition scenes/more scenes with Jada Plinkett Smith/a few other characters, I think they even shot some scenes specifically for it because they were that sure everyone on earth was going to play that awful game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm going to assume that the entire intro being from Matrix Reloaded was unusual.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

muscles like this! posted:

The Disney live action Mulan movie won't be a musical. Boo!

To be fair, the original wasn't much of one either. Like theres a couple songs in the first half of the movie; then they get to the ruined village and the musical aspects literally come to a screeching halt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's going to suck if they don't have a live action version of the "BE A MAAAN!" montage though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Codependent Poster posted:

He's having a huge orgy at his place later tonight! At least, that's what many of us have heard.

It is true, what many of you have heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8pB1zRguAg

Oh my gently caress that was 14 years ago.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh my gently caress that was 14 years ago.
Was it funny then?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Remulak posted:

Was it funny then?

You bet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the architect part is still funny.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It was funny but it doesn't hold up at all. Will Ferrel's bit is still kinda funny but the rest of it comes off as desperate and dated.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean it's the intro to a cable television awards show so it's not great or anything but a lot of the spliced dialogue is pretty funny still I think.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

not to mention how bad the burly brawl looks (and how it's one of those action scenes just for the sake of having an action scene) despite having sick music.
The irony is that they turned to CGI to construct that scene (running face first into the uncanny valley), throwing away what made the fights in The Matrix original and engaging (where CGI was sparse).
The work done with the Smith faceswapping is good enough for the time, but the digital actors parts are horrendous.

all the work they put in making the Bullet Dodge work as an optical effect was supplanted by computers in just a few years, which is pretty impressive when you think about it. But the work behind Neo's Dodge was really revolutionary on a technical level, and it was used magnificently as a narrative device in the film.

Similarly, Trinity's fly jump at the start of the movie was so engaging that I think it hooked a bunch of people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a ton of FMV in that game too that's actually deleted exposition scenes/more scenes with Jada Plinkett Smith/a few other characters, I think they even shot some scenes specifically for it because they were that sure everyone on earth was going to play that awful game.

Enter the Matrix sold a loving shitload of copies so I'm not exactly surprised they expected people to have played the game they bought

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Enter the Matrix wasn't unplayably bad it was just hella hyped and the extra footage and stuff was cool but the game itself was pretty meh.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was decent.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked it for the most part, but I remember a level where you had to drive your car through the city while following a plane that was just an enormous pain in the rear end.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This gets posted every time Matrix/video games come up but its still good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XhcSyVr-A

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked it for the most part, but I remember a level where you had to drive your car through the city while following a plane that was just an enormous pain in the rear end.

All of the driving parts were loving awful. The rest of the game was a serviceable Max Payne clone, though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Enter The Matrix was perfectly good and above what could possibly be expected for a tie-in licensed game. I played it twice for both characters. I can't say i'll ever play it again or think of it fondly though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of Enter the Matrix was the detailed chat log and conversations you had to have to unlock cheats in the game.

The worst part was everything else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Similarly, Trinity's fly jump at the start of the movie was so engaging that I think it hooked a bunch of people.

From what I read that was by design. When they were putting the project together they asked for something like $70 million for the budget but could only secure 10. So instead of making a more limited movie they sunk pretty much every penny into the opening sequence and then took it back to WB and said "If we get that extra money the entire movie will be this good."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Matrix is so well done that really flawed scenes just gel and work when they shouldn't. Like when Neo's getting ready to rescue Morpheus, the whole scene is them asking him single word questions, and him answering. It's a weird monologue with interludes. The thing is, by that point, you're so goddamn pumped that you really don't care.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To be fair, the original wasn't much of one either. Like theres a couple songs in the first half of the movie; then they get to the ruined village and the musical aspects literally come to a screeching halt.

Kinda like Frozen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Most Disney films are front-loaded with songs because the company never quite figured out how to make musical numbers fit into the more dramatic parts. At best, you might get a slightly sinister reprise.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Samuel Clemens posted:

Most Disney films are front-loaded with songs because the company never quite figured out how to make musical numbers fit into the more dramatic parts. At best, you might get a slightly sinister reprise.

Always will love Jafar version of Prince Ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2Qqh-yHEU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rirse posted:

Always will love Jafar version of Prince Ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR2Qqh-yHEU

Not as appropriate for the movie as Why Me, IMO. Why Me is a perfectly-executed character joke that actually makes Jafar feel like a natural part of the film as opposed to Generic Disney Villain #25. I wish they'd gone with Why Me. (Humiliate The Boy, while even funnier than Why Me, isn't as much "a character song for Jafar" as it is "a song to emphasize as much as possible that Aladdin is having a bad time".)

Unfortunately, although they tried out Why Me, I think, the loving stage version doesn't use Why Me

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Enter the Matrix has a lesbian kiss between Jada Smith and the big titty italian lady

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched it in a long rear end time but one of the special features on Reloaded was "the making of the freeway scene" and holy poo poo, it is impressive and excessive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The freeway sequence plus the Neo fight is incredible and is still excellent to this day, even if a lot of the CGI has not aged well. Downside is it is attached to an otherwise middling film whose next best sequence is thefight between neo and a pathway guardian.

At least its not animatrix or revolutions bad tbough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

The freeway sequence plus the Neo fight is incredible and is still excellent to this day, even if a lot of the CGI has not aged well. Downside is it is attached to an otherwise middling film whose next best sequence is thefight between neo and a pathway guardian.

At least its not animatrix or revolutions bad tbough.

Animatrix is more uneven than bad. World Record alone justifies its existence, and I also like Second Renaissance a lot, but Final Flight of the Osiris is ugly as gently caress and the rest I can kinda take or leave.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Animatrix is more uneven than bad. World Record alone justifies its existence, and I also like Second Renaissance a lot, but Final Flight of the Osiris is ugly as gently caress and the rest I can kinda take or leave.

Yeah, Animatrix has some good parts to it. Even the stories that are kind of blah are mostly visually enjoyable. I remember seeing Final Flight of the Osiris aired in front of Dreamcatcher... it was better than Dreamcatcher. Also made by the same people who did the Final Fantasy movie, which definitely shows.

It's funny to think back in this age of "cinematic universes" and ostensibly cross-platform continuity integration (like MCU movies/TV/films, or the entire new Star Wars continuity) that the Matrix sequels had to have been one of the first examples of this, what with Matrix Reloaded, Final Flight of the Osiris and Enter the Matrix all referencing themselves, movie actors and even the Wachowskie involved in the game and Animatrix, Path of Neo being (IIRC) the supposedly canonical continuation of the movies, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

precision posted:

I haven't watched it in a long rear end time but one of the special features on Reloaded was "the making of the freeway scene" and holy poo poo, it is impressive and excessive
Yes, they built a mini-freeway in CA they could shoot all of this on which is crazy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The matrix online also deserved better than it got.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Animatrix had some really good poo poo in it.

I remember all the internet rumor mills speculating about the Wachowskis having cameos in the movies and nobody recognizing them because they didn't give photo interviews or something? Anything come of that?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did people think the Wachowskis were Daft Punk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

World Record is fantastic and what I was hoping the rest of animatrix would be and something I will recommend people watch until my dying day. I know Im in a minority but I think Second Renaissance is my least favorite of the rest of the animatrix by a country mile and the others are just dull and do nothing interesting with the flexibility given.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, they built a mini-freeway in CA they could shoot all of this on which is crazy.

The Carboys episode on that freeway was fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cA5mU59uI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Detective Story is dope. It's one of the only things other than Cowboy Bebop to do something interesting by mashing up anime with Western sensibilities.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

basic hitler posted:

What you don't like the Matrix Online ending with everyone being turned into cubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

basic hitler posted:

As a person who subscribed the highlight was the backstories for how your character awakened with one hating snakes so much their brain broke and they realized reality was wrong because snakes suck so much.

They also killed morpheus as part of their plot line which, wow, thats a bold move for your mmo based on movie.

• Locked thread