Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

piL posted:

Solving spellcasting requires a change in tone. Trying to make non-spellcasting classes as 'narratively functional' ends up turning D&D into more of a super hero game, but I think many of the people who want to 'solve' caster superiority want exactly the opposite--they already find the tone too fantastic.

A change in tone from "some players get to be superheroes" to "all players get to be superheroes" is exactly what most people trying to solve caster supremacy are arguing for.

e: When I talk about curbing some of the wilder spell stuff, I'm not talking about limiting casters to fit in with some kind of down-powered vision of D&D. "Awesome stuff for everyone" is the goal, not "no awesome stuff for anyone".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
5e actually has kind of tacked away from the superhero thing, what with max-level spellcasters getting a single 9th level spell slot in 5e as opposed to the 4 or 6 they might have enjoyed in 3e.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AlphaDog posted:

A change in tone from "some players get to be superheroes" to "all players get to be superheroes" is exactly what most people trying to solve caster supremacy are arguing for.

Oh. What if at level 7 (adjust with research) non pure casters get to gestalt. Would two classes worth of abilities provide enough options to narrow the gap significantly without significant thematic change?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

this is baffling because it's all the energy-expenditure-tracking that signifies "magic" in 3e-alikes, but none of the narrative breadth that goes with it. it's just "hit a dude but harder X/day". you've killed the sacred cow but you haven't solved the problem the cow was blocking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5e Battlemaster also does this ... and even the much-vaunted 3e Tome of Battle also does this. None of these things solves the "narrative control" problem, but it does up the decision matrix to be more complex than "do I attack yes/no" and "who do I attack"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Huckabee Sting posted:

My self, and a DM i play with use something similar. If a caster is constantly throwing around big displays of power creatures/entities/NPCs are going to search that player out for good and for ill. It makes sense that a wizard eventually would want to create a tower filled with traps and hazards because he is constantly being pursued by things that want to enslave his power.

In my DMs game the players "won" at the end of a campaign and were allowed to write up some rules from the universe that would apply in the next campaign. One rule was no spells over 5th level. Now if you play a wizard you have to make a decision in the game: to sign the hawk Accord and follow the 5th level spell rule, or to ignore the Hawk Accord and be free to cast stuff but Mechanus gets to hunt you down if you start playing with things you shouldn't. It's move convoluted than that but that is the general gist of it.

that's pretty cool.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

piL posted:

Solving spellcasting requires a change in tone. Trying to make non-spellcasting classes as 'narratively functional' ends up turning D&D into more of a super hero game, but I think many of the people who want to 'solve' caster superiority want exactly the opposite--they already find the tone too fantastic. They should just play a different roleplaying game, or never level past level 3.

I think it's more that it requires a paradigm shift: if we have subsystems for combat and subsystems for narrative control (skills) then why are some classes getting resources that override both?
They keep trying to 'balance' it by saying "but it's only X/day!" the problem is they never weigh such things properly, and on top of that it's not as though classes with spells can't use weapons or skills, so wtf?

Like, take the example of ending an encounter with a Sleep spell or whatever. That's an encounter worth of damage/healing spells/hit dice that the party doesn't have to spend. Add that all up, and spell slots should probably be a lot more rare, since they're clearly undervalued in the design. Or you can give other classes comparable abilities that save the party similar amounts of resources. (Probably you want a combination of both, and I think this is doable, without just flatout reinventing 4th Edition.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

piL posted:

Solving spellcasting requires a change in tone. Trying to make non-spellcasting classes as 'narratively functional' ends up turning D&D into more of a super hero game
It's already a superhero game, it's just that half the players are playing Superbat and Spiderhulk and the other half are playing Aquaman without the fish powers.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Rules Question:

If you're a cleric, can you use your holy symbol as the focus for any spells you cast (i.e. ones you have from multiclassing) or just cleric(/paladin) spells?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

P.d0t posted:

Rules Question:

If you're a cleric, can you use your holy symbol as the focus for any spells you cast (i.e. ones you have from multiclassing) or just cleric(/paladin) spells?

It says right in the cleric class description. "You can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus for your cleric spells"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One 9f my players said that they don't want narrative control they just want to hit things the best, so they chose Fighter =(

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

P.d0t posted:

Rules Question:

Right on the multiclassing rules: each spell you know and prepare is associated with a class, for which you use the appropriate spellcasting ability, and a spellcasting focus can only be used for the spells of the class associated with said focus.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

piL posted:

Oh. What if at level 7 (adjust with research) non pure casters get to gestalt. Would two classes worth of abilities provide enough options to narrow the gap significantly without significant thematic change?

What thematic change are you talking about?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I think they're saying "is this a way to balance pure casters vs. everyone else without making a drastic re-commitment to a low-magic setting or one where we shoehorn in story consequences to being a caster"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Where does this idea of D&D having low magic settings come from? The dying/dead magic worlds are notable for having low magic. Eberron, Planescape and Spelljammer literally run on magic. Hell, in the original modules you can loot a Ray gun from a literal loving UFO.

Shitkicker Fantasy Vietnam mostly exists in homebrew but so many nerds treat it as an assumption of the game.

Hell Critical Role and Acquisitions Inc are/were the celebrity icons of two editions of the game. In one the party has a shop that shits magical artifacts for pennies. In the other the party pilots the Wizard's house around the Astral Sea and has a Pacific Rim fight in Waterdeep.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think they're saying "is this a way to balance pure casters vs. everyone else without making a drastic re-commitment to a low-magic setting or one where we shoehorn in story consequences to being a caster"
Nobody's saying anything that requires a low/medium magic setting. You can have "Magic is frickin' everywhere" without "Also that one guy over there can do literally all of it".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've been handing out magic items and Blessings pretty liberally to keep everyone feeling relevant. My party is punching waaaay above their weight, but it's fine since they're the first capital-a Adventurers ever and I want them to be legendary figures.

Right now the only one feeling bummed is the Cleric, and that's because she just started playing a Bard in another game and is realizing how boring the Life domain is. I'll probably let her switch domains if she wants and keep the same faith. Multiple aspects of the same goddess and all that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

P.d0t posted:

I think it's more that it requires a paradigm shift: if we have subsystems for combat and subsystems for narrative control (skills) then why are some classes getting resources that override both?
They keep trying to 'balance' it by saying "but it's only X/day!" the problem is they never weigh such things properly, and on top of that it's not as though classes with spells can't use weapons or skills, so wtf?

Like, take the example of ending an encounter with a Sleep spell or whatever. That's an encounter worth of damage/healing spells/hit dice that the party doesn't have to spend. Add that all up, and spell slots should probably be a lot more rare, since they're clearly undervalued in the design. Or you can give other classes comparable abilities that save the party similar amounts of resources. (Probably you want a combination of both, and I think this is doable, without just flatout reinventing 4th Edition.)

Are there a lot of encounter-ending spells in 5e? (Are all the wizards I'm seeing being run sub-par?)

Sleep spell just isn't that good, on average it can put 2 wolves to sleep. (The best use of it is after a combat has been going on a while and everything is weak.) Fireball can take a group of weaker minions if they miss their save, but it won't be enough to end hard encounters right off. And then there's a whole host of great concentration spells, which you can only have one going on at a time.

My experience is that a wizard can guarantee a victory against an encounter in three-to-four rounds by burning their high-level slots, assuming no monsters with legendary resistances or inconvenient immunities, and assuming they aren't personally attacked. And after all that, with no high level slots left they'll be sub-par for the rest of the day.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

lifg posted:

Are there a lot of encounter-ending spells in 5e? (Are all the wizards I'm seeing being run sub-par?)

Sleep spell just isn't that good, on average it can put 2 wolves to sleep. (The best use of it is after a combat has been going on a while and everything is weak.) Fireball can take a group of weaker minions if they miss their save, but it won't be enough to end hard encounters right off. And then there's a whole host of great concentration spells, which you can only have one going on at a time.

My experience is that a wizard can guarantee a victory against an encounter in three-to-four rounds by burning their high-level slots, assuming no monsters with legendary resistances or inconvenient immunities, and assuming they aren't personally attacked. And after all that, with no high level slots left they'll be sub-par for the rest of the day.

The spell doesn't have to literally abort the encounter immediately, just generate enough advantage in the first turn that the fight's effectively over. Take the spell Banishment; all it does is remove one (or more with a higher spell slot) enemy from the board for 1 minute, doesn't damage or harm them otherwise. But you've nullified that one (or more) enemy for 10 rounds, so mop up what's left and murder it when it pops back in.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

lifg posted:

and then everyone decides to end the day because going on with the wizard at half strength makes everything even more dangerous

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Sounds like the way to actually update the Martials is to let them hand pick magical weapons armor and accessories as they level up. Considering that Casters effectively get their old school treasure(spells) as a class feature.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Request for some RP help-- I'm in an online game with a large group that meets up as available (sort of Western Marches style). I'm playing a Tiefling Hexblade Warlock with social skills and the criminal background. I want to establish some kind of criminal enterprise in the town, fleecing people, selling drugs and poisons, and gouging refugees. How would you start something like this? What actual actions would you take to set yourself up as a criminal leader in town? All I can think of is using downtime to craft poisons and drugs and hoping the DM lets me sell them for retail.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

WerrWaaa posted:

Request for some RP help-- I'm in an online game with a large group that meets up as available (sort of Western Marches style). I'm playing a Tiefling Hexblade Warlock with social skills and the criminal background. I want to establish some kind of criminal enterprise in the town, fleecing people, selling drugs and poisons, and gouging refugees. How would you start something like this? What actual actions would you take to set yourself up as a criminal leader in town? All I can think of is using downtime to craft poisons and drugs and hoping the DM lets me sell them for retail.

Not jokingly, because this is plot: have you asked your DM? If you have a long-term goal that could affect the plot in a big way, you're probably gonna want the DM on board. The DM might have some ideas on how to make this work, too.

Also, if this is impossible because of Western Marches style, I actually don't know what that is.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Western Marches is basically sandbox. So there is no plot for me to disrupt-- only plot to create!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WerrWaaa posted:

First I'd check to make sure there's not another thieves' guild already operating in town. Unless they've been recently purged, there's likely to be one and they're unlikely to look favorably upon competition. Also, as mentioned above, make sure the DM is onboard with your elaborate subplot; you should probably try to get other PCs involved.

However, should you find yourself in a town without a thieves' guild and and some other criminally-minded PCs with whom you've agreed upon a guild power structure, then you literally start tracking down other thieves and either persuading/forcing them to work for you or ending their careers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
First you'll need to zero in on what exactly your interests are. Any scumbag can throw together a gang, you're trying to run a business. Once you know what your angle is, you can either start recruiting from your local selection of social cast-offs and misfits OR get yourself in tight with one of the town gangs - which may be more advisable anyway, assuming there's a turf system in place. Joining a gang will likely involve some manner of initiation ritual or errand to prove your loyalty, whereas forming your own gang will likely run you up against the existing power structure, such as it is, so pick your poison. Once you've settled in, you can start to do business, though if it's a large-scale project it might help to have someone on the inside with the actual authorities first.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Razorwired posted:

Sounds like the way to actually update the Martials is to let them hand pick magical weapons armor and accessories as they level up. Considering that Casters effectively get their old school treasure(spells) as a class feature.

To expand on this: If you're playing AD&D by the book, then the only way to learn a new spell (ie, to get it into your spellbook) is to find it during play on a scroll, in a defeated opponent's spellbook, etc. Then you have to roll (against a % chance based on your Int) to see if you can learn that spell. If you fail, then that's it, you're done, you can't learn that spell ever. There's also a maximum number of spells you can know of each spell level, again based on your Int. The limit's not low, but once you hit it you'd have to increase your Int to ever learn any new spells of that level, and stat increase items aren't at all common.

So yes, if you wanted to balance out casters and martials, and didn't want to go back to cockblocking wizards at every possible opportunity ("You rolled a 2 and now you can't ever learn Sleep lol"), then letting fighters select magic gear the same way wizards can now select magic spells would be one way of doing it.

e: Then you'd just have to come up with interesting magic items because "another longsword +1" isn't going to cut it here.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 20, 2017

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Razorwired posted:

Where does this idea of D&D having low magic settings come from? The dying/dead magic worlds are notable for having low magic. Eberron, Planescape and Spelljammer literally run on magic. Hell, in the original modules you can loot a Ray gun from a literal loving UFO.

Shitkicker Fantasy Vietnam mostly exists in homebrew but so many nerds treat it as an assumption of the game.

Hell Critical Role and Acquisitions Inc are/were the celebrity icons of two editions of the game. In one the party has a shop that shits magical artifacts for pennies. In the other the party pilots the Wizard's house around the Astral Sea and has a Pacific Rim fight in Waterdeep.

A lot of people seem to combine the magic level and fantasy level of a setting together, which is one of the roots of the martial/caster divide.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kuroyama posted:

A lot of people seem to combine the magic level and fantasy level of a setting together, which is one of the roots of the martial/caster divide.

That's what you get when most of the fantasy elements are decribed as magic and therefore PC-accessible spells.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I got recruited to help a relatively inexperienced friend DM his campaign with mostly new players today by running the monsters in his fights so he could focus on role-playing and bigger picture plot stuff. I showed up expecting to just hang out and help him look up rules but not get involved beyond that. Because I'm mostly used to playing 4E where the DM really doesn't have to pull any punches in combat and they said they'd been steamrolling every fight so far, I took the monsters the DM gave me and went loving HAM on the party.

Nobody died, but I dropped 3 PCs in two fights, and I think they spent a lot of powers that they're probably going to be hurting without in the upcoming bigger fight. I know some of that can probably be chalked up to them being new players, but I want to make sure things stay fun for them and I'm not experienced enough with 5e to know whether it's mechanically "fair" enough for me to keep doing it that way.

My experience with 4e has been that the encounters are balanced such that the monsters can take tactically optimal actions every round and the party is still almost certainly going to win even with some bad decisions and rolls. I'm of course gonna figure out whether that's the kind of experience the DM and players are looking for, but my question is whether this play style is even mechanically sustainable in 5E because I just don't know the monster XP budget the DM is giving me well enough.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

My experience with 4e has been that the encounters are balanced such that the monsters can take tactically optimal actions every round and the party is still almost certainly going to win even with some bad decisions and rolls. I'm of course gonna figure out whether that's the kind of experience the DM and players are looking for, but my question is whether this play style is even mechanically sustainable in 5E because I just don't know the monster XP budget the DM is giving me well enough.

:lol: nope

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Pharmaskittle posted:

I got recruited to help a relatively inexperienced friend DM his campaign with mostly new players today by running the monsters in his fights so he could focus on role-playing and bigger picture plot stuff. I showed up expecting to just hang out and help him look up rules but not get involved beyond that. Because I'm mostly used to playing 4E where the DM really doesn't have to pull any punches in combat and they said they'd been steamrolling every fight so far, I took the monsters the DM gave me and went loving HAM on the party.

Nobody died, but I dropped 3 PCs in two fights, and I think they spent a lot of powers that they're probably going to be hurting without in the upcoming bigger fight. I know some of that can probably be chalked up to them being new players, but I want to make sure things stay fun for them and I'm not experienced enough with 5e to know whether it's mechanically "fair" enough for me to keep doing it that way.

As someone who has only played 5e I've been told it is much closer related to 3.5e and Pathfinder than 4e. That might help your idea of what to expect in combat. The DM instructions for building an encounter are freely available online from Wizards as well.

In the mean time if people are having fun and surviving then you could chalk it up as teaching them some valuable lessons. But if they feel like you are wiping the floor with them you might have to back off. Low level 5e some of the monsters can do serious damage when your dice get hot. It can get worse if the monsters have pack tactics or you are using your crowd control aggressively.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Trast posted:

As someone who has only played 5e I've been told it is much closer related to 3.5e and Pathfinder than 4e. That might help your idea of what to expect in combat. The DM instructions for building an encounter are freely available online from Wizards as well.

This is true but the encounter building advice is useless because the CR system is garbage. You'll definitely want to pull punches wrt multiple attack and pack tactics at low levels.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
On death house. I was in the room with the cloak of resistance. Having fallen into the spike trap I was cautious and checked the walls and discovered similar dirt walls to the floors from the ghouls. I pushed thr dress and waredrobe in front of the openings. I then broke all of the beds and tables nearby and used the dead mimics sticky corpse glue to make a badass barricade. When I opened the footlocker and they came out I grabbed the alchemist fire and lit one of the ghasts/dresser on fire and landed crits on it through 3/4 cover. I managed to kill both of them before they could get an attack off. It felt good. (The party decided to simultaneously fight the shadows in the other room for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

Western Marches is basically sandbox. So there is no plot for me to disrupt-- only plot to create!

Not necessarily. Part of Ben Robbins' West Marches idea was that adventure was never in the town but always out THERE - if your DM sticks with that, and your adventures haven't been in civilization, then this might not fit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

That's what you get when most of the fantasy elements are decribed as magic and therefore PC-accessible spells.
The latter wouldn't necessarily apply if "gets all the spells" wasn't an available class feature.

Pharmaskittle posted:

my question is whether this play style is even mechanically sustainable in 5E
No. Even ignoring the complete lack of balance between "equivalent" monsters, there's very limited player agency outside of spells so there's nothing stopping you from e.g. ignoring the beefy dude and sending everything running straight at the squishies except for gentlemen's agreements. Ignore tactics, run the fights like an interactive play that the casters will occasionally choose to burn down.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

The latter wouldn't necessarily apply if "gets all the spells" wasn't an available class feature.

the problem remains that "do literally everything associated even loosely with magic, which does anything you can imagine" is still the scope of a class in the same game as "guy what stabs"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cease to Hope posted:

the problem remains that "do literally everything associated even loosely with magic, which does anything you can imagine" is still the scope of a class in the same game as "guy what stabs"
If spellcasting classes were more strictly themed then "Devastating towns by raining meteors of acid from the skies" being a magical effect is fine, because there's no reason why that necessarily has to be a spell effect available to any available classes. They're two problems that would be manageable in isolation but multiply exponentially when combined. I think that it would be more difficult to limit what magic can do than it would be to explicitly specify what the player available magical classes can do.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The most fun I've had on my homebrew setting so far is making some alternative patrons. They're still in the PHB archetypes -- they're just new flavor appropriate ones. Why are Warlocks so fuckin cool...

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Warlocks have a fairly consistent flavour, simple yet effective combat options, and interact with the rest economy without warping it around them. It's probably the best designed class, even if blade pact's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Warlocks have a fairly consistent flavour, simple yet effective combat options, and interact with the rest economy without warping it around them. It's probably the best designed class, even if blade pact's bad.

IIRC Blade Pact DPR isn't actually that bad but the lack of anything else in the class (vampiric is too little too late) to facilitate being in melee makes it a tough sell compared to blast sniping.