Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Johnny Joestar posted:

the gen 1 nostalgia will never stop being funny considering a lot of the actual gen 1 designs that i think of when people continually talk about how uninspired the more recent gens are

One of my favorite Pokermans is Snorlax, because he is just a big fat bear-thing. Like that's his special power, being big fat and sleepy.

This is great design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

This thing is actually pretty decent, both in concept and design. It's certainly not amazing, but 'aztec winged serpent' is fine as a base and whoever designed this one had more restraint than some of the other overcomplicated, messy things. It's okay.

Like Nimflora and it's weird pointless tiny stubby middle arms. The fox/fairy/insect/whatever design was already pretty overwrought and then they were like 'but what if the third set of arms were tiny for no reason, that won't be visually confusing at all'.

nimflora is a mess of pixels, i thought "monkey dog fairy" myself

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

nimflora is a mess of pixels, i thought "monkey dog fairy" myself

The non-pixel artwork is even worse somehow. I edited it into my post at the bottom of the last page because I could not believe how awful this art is, it had to be shared.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015

GeneralYeti posted:

Something we can't tell from screenshots, but the fire velociraptor has like three frames of animation for some weird reason?

IIRC there's five pokemon with animated sprites, the three evolved starters, the cover legendary, and another legendary. The same legendary with five STABs.

dis astranagant posted:

If it weren't just a worse Gyarados maybe. It's 2 nuclear moves are a mediocre special attack and a less accurate copy of Toxic. In return you get 4x weaknesses to loving everything.

Oh right, the double weaknesses. Ouch. Fortunately we still have one viable nuclear type pokemon coming up, and boy does it put MEGAWEAPON to shame. OFS might get annoyed at me for even mentioning it because of how good it is. But I'm not going to go further than making the claim that it may be the single strongest pokemon in Uranium.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I don't understand what mammal is influencing the Nimflora line's design. It sure was ugly from beginning to end, though. Linkite looks like it should be an enemy in Binding of Issac.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so.

Linkite is the ghost of a Pokemon that died in its Pokeball and since it doesn't know what it looked like, it takes the form of a Substitute.

So it's chained to the Pokeball because... why? Given the general look of the chain and the background of the Pokemon, I'm guessing it's a reference to Bleach (the anime, though the liquid's fumes could have played a critical role in designing Linkite, as well), because the people doing the designs for Uranium are apparently edgelords from ten years ago, and it's going to evolve into a knock-off of a Hollow later.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so.

Linkite is the ghost of a Pokemon that died in its Pokeball and since it doesn't know what it looked like, it takes the form of a Substitute.

Is that 'official'? I don't like it but it's only a bit more grim that some other Ghost Pokemon dex entries. Then again, the design is so tied (chained?) to the concept that you can't really distance them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

freshlybaked posted:

Is that 'official'? I don't like it but it's only a bit more grim that some other Ghost Pokemon dex entries. Then again, the design is so tied (chained?) to the concept that you can't really distance them.

Yes. It's on their Wiki.

It also evolves when traded into a literal angry spirit of vengeance that wants to rage out against the person who let it die and looks like black goop flooding out of the orifices of the substitute doll.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

freshlybaked posted:

That is the official Uranium pokedex entry.

Nine years of development.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Reimou posted:

So much for that Bealbeach difficulty curve. I'm still not sure what other players were getting at here.

OFS has basically told grinding for EXP to go gently caress itself and is keeping up with the level curve via rare candies.

The biggest part of the Bealbeach difficulty curve is that you've got little to no way to levelgrind comfortably any more. If you're behind the curve, you're going to suffer. If you're on the curve, you're going to fall behind, and suffer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

freshlybaked posted:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Did Theo have a full team? That's a lot to go up against for what I assume is only around the 1/3 point.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Gridlocked posted:

Yes. It's on their Wiki.

It also evolves when traded into a literal angry spirit of vengeance that wants to rage out against the person who let it die and looks like black goop flooding out of the orifices of the substitute doll.

So, my theory that Linkite is based on Bleach, an anime that was cool-ish for about twenty minutes a decade ago and has long since fallen into the usual long-running anime trap of "spinning its wheels for years on end while the author thinks of something to do with the plot" was completely spot-on (even on the off-chance it was just a coincidence, it's hard not to notice some similarities), thanks for clarifying.

EDIT: A small correction, I just checked and it turns out Bleach was cancelled last year and hasn't been an anime since 2012.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 20, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FPzero posted:

Did Theo have a full team? That's a lot to go up against for what I assume is only around the 1/3 point.

Only five.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah I miscounted. Still, 5 is a lot for this point in the game compared to the official games. Though I'm more comparing to the older official games since almost nothing has a full 6 pokemon team in the newer games these days.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I'm rewatching Tie's stream of Uranium, and a few times now he's mentioned he thinks the trainers have perfect IVs on their Pokemon. Is that a thing? Because that'd be really lovely if it was true.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Sableau looks a lot like Sliggoo. The Uranium guys may have even used those sprites people made of Gen VI Pokemon for the base.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm rewatching Tie's stream of Uranium, and a few times now he's mentioned he thinks the trainers have perfect IVs on their Pokemon. Is that a thing? Because that'd be really lovely if it was true.

Sometimes, mostly in the Championship.

They're almost always at the default 10, even for a lot of the gym leaders.

NPC trainers' EVs are always level*1.5, which may be throwing things off. From what I've heard about the official games, they only tend to put EVs on some things and tend towards 255/255 spreads.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally, IVs of Pokemon in the official games are just determined by the Trainer type. EVs are set per Pokemon, but they aren't exactly optimized unless you're fighting an "advanced" trainer, or are fairly late in the game. Even then, they never really go beyond 2 stats having 255 of them, or 3 stats having 170 each.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Incidentally, IVs of Pokemon in the official games are just determined by the Trainer type. EVs are set per Pokemon, but they aren't exactly optimized unless you're fighting an "advanced" trainer, or are fairly late in the game. Even then, they never really go beyond 2 stats having 255 of them, or 3 stats having 170 each.
Is this the point in the IV discussion when I get to mention that Joey's Rattata has all of its IVs at 0, and B/W Cynthia's are 31s across the board?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

NPC trainers' EVs are always level*1.5, which may be throwing things off. From what I've heard about the official games, they only tend to put EVs on some things and tend towards 255/255 spreads.

Wait, does this apply to all their stats? Wouldn't this mean that any Pokemon past level 85 are pretty much illegal? But I forget if Uranium has any Pokemon that strong.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, does this apply to all their stats? Wouldn't this mean that any Pokemon past level 85 are pretty much illegal? But I forget if Uranium has any Pokemon that strong.

No, they hit the cap at level 57 with straight 85s in everything.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

CoffeeAvenger posted:

You can tell Uranium's trying to get all grimdark when that nuclear explosion theme makes absolutely no attempt to sound like Pokemon music. It's just "DUN DUDUN DUN DUN DUN"

It's barely even remixed from an actual theme.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

PMush Perfect posted:

Is this the point in the IV discussion when I get to mention that Joey's Rattata has all of its IVs at 0, and B/W Cynthia's are 31s across the board?

Wait, I thought Joey's Rattata IVs WERE actually all 31? This sucks. Pokemon sucks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bogart posted:

Wait, I thought Joey's Rattata IVs WERE actually all 31? This sucks. Pokemon sucks!

he was supposed to be in the top percentage goddammit

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Guys, Nuclear Gyarados isn't Nuclear/Nuclear, it's Water/Nuclear. It's only 4x weak to things water was already weak to, and it's neutral to things that water resists.

Still worse than Water/Flying and no great gains on the moves front, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the dex really needs to spell out it why it looks like a substitute but it's still a pretty interesting idea. One of the better pokemon concepts from this game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think the dex really needs to spell out it why it looks like a substitute but it's still a pretty interesting idea. One of the better pokemon concepts from this game.

The core idea has legs, but, how does it remember what a substitute doll looks like when it doesn't remember what its own Pokemon species looked like? It may not have even known Substitute.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Golux posted:

Guys, Nuclear Gyarados isn't Nuclear/Nuclear, it's Water/Nuclear. It's only 4x weak to things water was already weak to, and it's neutral to things that water resists.

Still worse than Water/Flying and no great gains on the moves front, though.

Yeah, I guess not so much crazy 4x weakness as 11 weaknesses, 2 of which are 4x. Not so good for ye olde bulky water.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I looked up the sprite for Linkite's evolution and broke out laughing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

The core idea has legs, but, how does it remember what a substitute doll looks like when it doesn't remember what its own Pokemon species looked like? It may not have even known Substitute.

Yeah, my only problem is that it specifies it's mimicking a substitute decoy. It'd probably work better just by saying "it takes this form because it can't remember what it was when alive". But that's a pretty small issue honestly, more with the dex entry than the design. It's still overall solid.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kurieg posted:

From the description in the thread earlier, it sounds like it evolves into video-game creepypasta. Linkite.EXE?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Wow. That's an awful design.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

KataraniSword posted:

OFS has basically told grinding for EXP to go gently caress itself and is keeping up with the level curve via rare candies.

The biggest part of the Bealbeach difficulty curve is that you've got little to no way to levelgrind comfortably any more. If you're behind the curve, you're going to suffer. If you're on the curve, you're going to fall behind, and suffer.
On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

CoffeeAvenger posted:

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE. :suicide:

At this point, I'm half expecting a pokemon with running mascara and razor cuts.
You will never guess what edgey edgelord designs show up later because even I was surprised at how cold it was.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2017

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Linkite and it's evolved form are awful, to be certain, but I can't help but feel it'd make more sense for it to have a branching good/evil evolution chain than the gangly unicorn; good version evolves through friendship and its anger is mollified by its new trainer, or evil version through neglect and simply trading it away.

Also limited animation for the Pokémon is an unfair nitpick since that's a lot of effort and fully animated sprites and models are still a fairly recent addition to the series. 9 years or no, their nose was not against the grind wheel the entire time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Antivehicular posted:

From the description in the thread earlier, it sounds like it evolves into video-game creepypasta. Linkite.EXE?

No, it's dumber than that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

You will never guess what edgey edgelord designs show up later because even I was surprised at how cold it was.

If the game didn't screw with the damage formula, the Pokemon being used either had low defenses, or the opponents had high attack. Considering how overtuned the base stats are, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of the two.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was a glitch where holding an item caused you to take 50% more damage. No idea if that got fixed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of a ghost pokemon that's formed from a pokemon wasting away in their ball could actually maybe work given other ghost pokemon and how they're supposedly made, but, i feel it should maybe have a design that isn't as weird and crap as a substitute doll shackled to a tiny pokeball.

not to mention that the evolution somehow manages to look even dumber despite all the odds

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Dr. Fetus posted:

If the game didn't screw with the damage formula, the Pokemon being used either had low defenses, or the opponents had high attack. Considering how overtuned the base stats are, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of the two.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was a glitch where holding an item caused you to take 50% more damage. No idea if that got fixed.
If I remember correctly TieTuesday looked at the overall stats and nothing seemed egregious. Even with the bug something was readily off with the math of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

MadScientistWorking posted:

If I remember correctly TieTuesday looked at the overall stats and nothing seemed egregious. Even with the bug something was readily off with the math of the game.

Tie was also playing an earlier version of the game that increased the damage done to a pokemon if they were holding an item, so basically everything hit like a truck regardless of level, because his pokemon were holding items. Hard to tell if that was a bug or a conscious design decision to 'punish' people using items (I mean,it was probably a bug, but if it came out that it was actually something the designer put in,I wouldn't be surprised).

Pokemon Uranium basically reminds me at least a little of the Tomb of Horrors, a D&D dungeon designed by Gary Gygax to catch his players out by deliberately destroying any attempt by them to metagame or use their knowledge of the game to bypass obstacles. The main difference being, Gygax was explicitly trying to kill his players, and they knew it.

• Locked thread