Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't think the arty truck has actually changed aside from the fact that emergency repair only heals 10 HP now (though it also clears all disables). Which is probably for the best because an instant 30 HP was some dumbass poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Are the new timers as stupid as as the old ones for the mortar where respawning doesn't reset them?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't think the arty truck has actually changed aside from the fact that emergency repair only heals 10 HP now (though it also clears all disables). Which is probably for the best because an instant 30 HP was some dumbass poo poo.

That seems more reasonable than decreasing the armor. I can probably live with that.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Are the new timers as stupid as as the old ones for the mortar where respawning doesn't reset them?

Yes it's unchanged. I still love the mortar even when playing by myself. But it's so clutch when folks are spotting.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

humpthewind posted:

Did they nerf the AA damage or the range? Feels like the damage but I still tore apart some pub planes last night.

They nerfed the damage hits do. They also removed the loss of control caused by shells going off near you. Which is great because I'm sure I've crashed because of AA more that I've actually been shot down by it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yes it's unchanged. I still love the mortar even when playing by myself. But it's so clutch when folks are spotting.

Sorry, i meant the new timers for the grenades, do they reset when you die and respawn?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

verdun heights owns, my last game last night turned into a smokey hell scape were both teams threw themselves at each other with no regard of flanking so i just started mortoring things.I could get two or three kills with an HE mortar, but could probably get a kill per shot if people bothered with spotting flares.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Both of the new operations are top tier. Devils Anvil is maybe a little too defender favored but it's such a blast and winning barely matters in this game anyway

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

What did they change about it

Quick repair only does 10 points recovery. Ammo feels a touch slower to regen too.

I met the DICE community manager at SXSW, told him we need more tanks and more server options. He said "we're working on it". My southern upbringing prevented me from shaking him while yelling "stop listening to Reddit".

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 18, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That's cool. Someone else said one of the dlc maps had four per a side so that's a start. But I've honestly accepted that tanks may never get love in bf1. Hopefully they revisit ww2 again next game. that will be perfect for all vehicles while allowing infantry to have plenty of anti vehicle options.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Quick repair only does 10 points recovery. Ammo feels a touch slower to regen too.

I met the DICE community manager at SXSW, told him we need more tanks and more server options. He said "we're working on it". My southern upbringing prevented me from shaking him while yelling "stop listening to Reddit".

reddit's bf1 community is probably 100x the size of SA's so you should get used to them listening to reddit.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TBeats posted:

reddit's bf1 community is probably 100x the size of SA's so you should get used to them listening to reddit.

Doesn't change the fact that they're a bunch of whiny bitches who complain about any perceived advantage.

The CTE sub-reddit is the epitome of "X killed me twice, therefore it needs to be nerfed"

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 19, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

So what's the new grenade rule? I was medic a few nights ago and the inability to fill 180 degrees around me with gas is troublesome.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

how do tanks not get love the DLC has literally 2 wide open maps with more tanks than ever before, a new type of tank that owns, and the behemoth is literally a giant super tank!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

how do tanks not get love the DLC has literally 2 wide open maps with more tanks than ever before, a new type of tank that owns, and the behemoth is literally a giant super tank!!!

Yeah individual tanks are less powerful than before, but the new map with up to SIX tanks is fun as hell.

Everyone seems to run assault/medic there now because of the overwhelming tank force.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Well the double xp has kind of skewed my score per minute which is now at 1600. This has made it hilariously easy to rank up though, went from 50 to 65 in a day

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Grabbed a truck finally last night. Quick repair nerf sucks but nothing else was adjusted at least. Twenty or fifteen would be better than ten but that's okay, i was still able to put up big numbers; just couldn't play as close to the front as i would like.

Guess dice wants even vehicle whores to play like long range Wookiee poo poo heads

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Live At Five! posted:

Well the double xp has kind of skewed my score per minute which is now at 1600. This has made it hilariously easy to rank up though, went from 50 to 65 in a day

How long is the double XP thing going for?

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Grabbed a truck finally last night. Quick repair nerf sucks but nothing else was adjusted at least. Twenty or fifteen would be better than ten but that's okay, i was still able to put up big numbers; just couldn't play as close to the front as i would like.

Guess dice wants even vehicle whores to play like long range Wookiee poo poo heads

The whole vehicle quick repair thing really pissed some people off. I don't get it personally, tanks are more vulnerable than they ever have been. I mean if a single assault gets in close range with you and they know what they are doing they can kill you fairly easily. And dear lord are you hosed if multiple assaults start spamming AT rockets at you. Hell, every class has access to light antitank grenades, which take a decent chunk of health off.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

lambskin posted:

The whole vehicle quick repair thing really pissed some people off. I don't get it personally, tanks are more vulnerable than they ever have been. I mean if a single assault gets in close range with you and they know what they are doing they can kill you fairly easily. And dear lord are you hosed if multiple assaults start spamming AT rockets at you. Hell, every class has access to light antitank grenades, which take a decent chunk of health off.
This couldn't be further from the truth, tanks are the least vulnerable that they've ever been in recent Battlefields. In BF4 a support or recon could take down a tank with C4 before the driver even knew they were taking damage, and engineers didn't even have to aim their launchers because they all had lock-on. To take down a tank alone in BF1, you have to be an Assault (because no other class has decent AT), you have to have backup (because it takes 5-6 hits and the driver has tons of time to react and kill you), and you have to have 100% accuracy (because if you miss once you don't have enough ammo to take down the tank alone, and he can just drive away and come back with 100% health). And that's before the driver even touches the emergency repair.

Tanks are supposed to be vulnerable if you push too hard. Armor doesn't make you some invincible battering ram--if you're playing like an idiot (and letting an Assault get that close is pretty idiotic) then you should get hosed up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

As someone who primarily blows vehicles up tanks in BF1 are a lot tougher to kill than they ever were in BF3/4. I can't just SMAW it three times and be done with it. I can't javelin them. I can't stick three C4 to the side and evaporate it.

You can't one man a tank any more. You need multiple people, or a support box, or a real dumb driver.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
In bf4, you've got thermal, prox, and a more generous sporting system which made tanks harder to sneak up on. Tanks were also more durable and faster. Also lol if you're using any launcher besides the smaw or rpg.

In bf1, it's easy to take out a light tank or arty truck up close but not so much the heavy and landship because of their armor. In theory armor should die easier in bf1, it's just that pubbies are too dumb to spawn with the rocket rifle. Seriously, two or three people with that is enough to make me gently caress off and retreat, sometimes I'll get disabled running away and then killed. But no, they'd rather do poo poo like I saw last night: stand up on top of a dune and shoot me with a regular rifle for some reason. Thanks for the easy kill.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

BF4 tanks had all sorts of tools to prevent people sneaking up on them, and yet tanks got C4ed all the drat time. BF1 tanks have none of those tools, but nobody ever takes down a tank alone.

It's not a question of tools, it's a question of resilience. Tanks were not more "durable" in BF4. They got mobility killed if something sneezed on them and took more damage from launchers. Tanks in BF1 straight-up take more hits to kill, and assaults in BF1 have far less AT ammo to hit with. And again, that's before you even touch emergency repair. I'm fairly certain that there is literally no combination of assault gadgets that will do 130 damage to a heavy tank before running out of ammo.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You're considering pubbie capability tho, I'm talking about my experiences as a sperg lord. I can say that I was much more durable as a tank in bf4 than I am in 1. I don't even bother with the heavy armor in 1 so I hadn't considered it. I guess we are looking at it from different perspectives but I see what you are saying

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

BF4 tanks had all sorts of tools to prevent people sneaking up on them, and yet tanks got C4ed all the drat time. BF1 tanks have none of those tools, but nobody ever takes down a tank alone.

It's not a question of tools, it's a question of resilience. Tanks were not more "durable" in BF4. They got mobility killed if something sneezed on them and took more damage from launchers. Tanks in BF1 straight-up take more hits to kill, and assaults in BF1 have far less AT ammo to hit with. And again, that's before you even touch emergency repair. I'm fairly certain that there is literally no combination of assault gadgets that will do 130 damage to a heavy tank before running out of ammo.

3 AT mines dropped right in its path :smuggo:
Of course the even nerfed that an update or two ago, adding a delay between drops so you couldn't lay 3 down as fast as you can pull the trigger.

My fave way to take down an arty truck is sneak up and stick a mine in under the front and back bumper while he's aiming at the sky then hit him with a rocket gun round wait for him to run.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I must be only fighting against dumb pubbies then, since I take down tanks alone decently often. It's not hard to do as support, with the combo of light antitank grenades and limpet charges you should be able to get a disable. Then you just gotta run to cover and resupply yourself. Another big difference I see is that the most popular class happens to be the anti-vehicle class, so it's not uncommon to have multiple AT-rockets being shoved up your rear end. Hell, if you have a support buddy with pouches you will easily have enough ammo to take down a tank.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chemmy posted:

As someone who primarily blows vehicles up tanks in BF1 are a lot tougher to kill than they ever were in BF3/4. I can't just SMAW it three times and be done with it. I can't javelin them. I can't stick three C4 to the side and evaporate it.

You can't one man a tank any more. You need multiple people, or a support box, or a real dumb driver.

as someone who made a career of C4ing tanks in BF3 just lol at the idea that tanks are more vulnerable now.

lambskin posted:

I must be only fighting against dumb pubbies then, since I take down tanks alone decently often. It's not hard to do as support, with the combo of light antitank grenades and limpet charges you should be able to get a disable. Then you just gotta run to cover and resupply yourself. Another big difference I see is that the most popular class happens to be the anti-vehicle class, so it's not uncommon to have multiple AT-rockets being shoved up your rear end. Hell, if you have a support buddy with pouches you will easily have enough ammo to take down a tank.

yyyyeah but that's two throws, a fast approach and drop and wait, the tank is only disabled, run to cover, resupply that's what five steps? I never played 4 but in BF3 and BC2 it was straight up "if I am within sprinting distance of a tank it's loving dead as soon as I can smash the trigger". I get the argument for multiple people with AT rockets because of the higher number of players, though, so it makes sense that there's more resilience, but holy poo poo. Come the end of BC2 being in a tank was almost a disadvantage!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

lambskin posted:

Congrats on your limpeting ability, your support soldier must have not skipped arm day at the gym. I can't even throw the thing far enough to stick to a house ceiling, let alone to a slowly moving tank, looking on in impotence as the limpet falls to the ground and the tank trundles off at a leisurely walking pace.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Congrats on your limpeting ability, your support soldier must have not skipped arm day at the gym. I can't even throw the thing far enough to stick to a house ceiling, let alone to a slowly moving tank, looking on in impotence as the limpet falls to the ground and the tank trundles off at a leisurely walking pace.

I'll admit, I've ended up throwing the limpet at my feet a fair amount of times. I just feel like I could survive easier in BF4 as a tank, as long as I kept my eye out for sneaky flankers. Once you got good with the smoke screen you didn't really need to worry about lock-ons. The other big difference I feel is that every class has some anti-tank options, though some are less powerful than before.(looking at you K-bullet)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The fact that you can't frisbee the limpet is a tragedy

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

e.pilot posted:

How long is the double XP thing going for?

Today

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
M1903 Experimental trip report: still not good, closer to being not bad.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Limpets are best used to remodel buildings from shabby two story hovels into beautiful single story with super tall ceilings.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm the guy who will dynamite the building that teammates are camping in when we are playing domination.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

FastestGunAlive posted:

You're considering pubbie capability tho, I'm talking about my experiences as a sperg lord. I can say that I was much more durable as a tank in bf4 than I am in 1. I don't even bother with the heavy armor in 1 so I hadn't considered it. I guess we are looking at it from different perspectives but I see what you are saying
That's fair, I will agree that if you're actually in danger from a competent squad, it's much harder to get away in BF1 tanks. Honestly though I think light tanks and arty trucks are balanced pretty well, it's mostly heavy tanks and landships that I have a problem with. Yeah you can go support and limpet them, but if the driver is paying any attention at all he'll find you before the second one resupplies. Or he'll just drive away.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I agree, their armor sucks. It's frustrating to fire and hit with all my arty rounds at a clueless heavy tank and it still not be destroyed because of ricochets. And a full dynamite load should definitely destroy any tank, like c4 in the older game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I have no problem with how durable the tanks are but gently caress ricochets forever

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
st chamond mortar version is pimp, if you get the bounce right it will explode above a plane and kill pilots. also kills infantry without exploding if you headshot them on the full. haven't had a ricochet when shooting at other vehicles either. not a game winner but fun as gently caress

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Finally unlocked the hellriegel, and just as I suspected, there is absolutely 0 skill required to use that gun. When a noob cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Has anyone ever won as germans on Devils Anvil or lost as the French on the Marne operation?