Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I actually really like the segment racing so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ungratek posted:

I actually really like the segment racing so far

Yeah it's good. Playoffs still the worst

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't watch the race so I'm pretty sure you're all joking about Newman winning

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

I didn't watch the race so I'm pretty sure you're all joking about Newman winning

If it makes you feel less gaslighted, it was a last-ditch gamble that paid off and not a strong performance

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Absolutely not, but almost, which makes me feel disgusting.

I don't even know what winning means anymore with this segment poo poo anyway.

Here, I'll help you.

When all the laps are done, the car that crossed the finish line in first place is the winner.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Orchestrated Mess posted:

I don't even know what winning means anymore with this segment poo poo anyway.

It's about the only thing that really matters anymore and still makes a molecule of sense.

Segments are still a good idea on NASCAR's part.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alain Post posted:

Kyle Busch was leading by about 2.5 seconds when Logano had a tire go down, salmmed the wall hard, and drew a late caution

Most of the leaders pitted during the caution for 2 tires, but Newman, Stenhouse and Truex all stayed out.

Race restarted for a green white checker, and Newman managed to get a good restart. Busch was forced to the inside and got bottled up. Larson tried to make a run on Newman but hit Stenhouse and both managed to avoid a wreck.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yall people liking the segments are insane

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
probably more sane than people who spend literal years making posts about how terrible something is

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

probably more sane than people who spend literal years making posts about how terrible something is

Nascar is for fuckers.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

The segment racing changes have convinced me to change my mind. Before segments, I used to watch the weekly NASCAR strung out parade of cars and I just assumed that the drivers didn't give a poo poo and were just happy cruising around until the final 25~ laps. My opinion has changed.

Segment "finishes" (is that what we call them?) have shown me the light. NASCAR drivers were not holding back, they just were not willing to wreck each other for a pass until the end of the race. I'll never doubt Dale Jr again when he says stuff like "if you think Drivers are holding back, you don't know poo poo." These cars just plain suck to watch. Aero/blahblah/whocares.

95% of the race today bored me to the point where I watched Golf.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Segments are good, without them Nascar would just throw debris cautions to bunch the field so they might as well make them mean something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kidcoelacanth posted:

If it makes you feel less gaslighted, it was a last-ditch gamble that paid off and not a strong performance

I disagree he was moving up the field in a race where passing was impossible. Fat man in a winning car. I guess they added another battery so the car wouldn't die. I can't believe everyone decided two tires would make them fast enough to pass 3 cars in two laps.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

big nipples big life posted:

Segments are good, without them Nascar would just throw debris cautions to bunch the field so they might as well make them mean something.

This.

I actually stopped watching in 2015 cuz I though the debris cautions were a loving joke.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

I dunno, it's really just like series like the BTCC that have 3 races, or I guess more like ones that have a main and a sprint race like GP2.

Nascar is just doing them all together rather than a couple of hours or a day apart.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Debris cautions bad, not at all artificial segments good. :downs:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dudley posted:

I dunno, it's really just like series like the BTCC that have 3 races, or I guess more like ones that have a main and a sprint race like GP2.

Nascar is just doing them all together rather than a couple of hours or a day apart.

Except nobody gives a poo poo about who won this segment or that segment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gret posted:

Except nobody gives a poo poo about who won this segment or that segment.

Chase Elliot probably feels good that at least he's finally won something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/ryan-nascar-will-use-restrictor-plates-at-indy-could-michigan-and-pocono-be-on-horizon/

NASCAR conducting an experiment to try and make the Xfinity Indy race the most boring race of all time

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't think it's actually possible to make the racing at Indy and Pocono any worse. I mean it will still be terrible with plates but saying it's worse is a stretch.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Imagine an Indy race that never ends because everyone from race control to the flagman fell into a coma and doesn't wave the checkered

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

remember when nascar tried to one-up the 2005 usgp at indy rofl

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in retrospect that was prolly the most interesting race nascar has ever had at indianapolis

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/ryan-nascar-will-use-restrictor-plates-at-indy-could-michigan-and-pocono-be-on-horizon/

NASCAR conducting an experiment to try and make the Xfinity Indy race the most boring race of all time

You say this like the NXS race at IMS wasn't the worst race across the top three series' schedules already, though. NXS at Indy with restrictor plates will at least give me a reason to watch a race which otherwise serves no entertainment purpose and has been one of the biggest busts in NASCAR in recent memory.

NASCAR probably thought they were being both smart and magnanimous locking in all the venues for the next five years but the Brickyard is becoming a huge albatross they're probably going to reach a point where they'd like to shed (:lol: no they won't go back to IRP), but can't until 2021.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
my favorite stock car moment at Indy was when Arie Luyendyk impersonated a pinball

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

financially racist posted:

in retrospect that was prolly the most interesting race nascar has ever had at indianapolis

The goodyear lottery races are always a blast

didn't the coke 600 also suffer from that one year?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Indy was really the only race where tire problems were widespread.

All the other tire shenanigans were limited to certain teams, which leaves open the possibility that aggressive setups might have been the culprit.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

For those of you having Rick Allen withdrawal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk08R_qQwIA

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Indy was really the only race where tire problems were widespread.

All the other tire shenanigans were limited to certain teams, which leaves open the possibility that aggressive setups might have been the culprit.

Pretty certain most tire failures among front runners are from them blatantly ignoring tire pressure guidelines and then screeching about how poo poo the tires are

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Pretty certain most tire failures among front runners are from them blatantly ignoring tire pressure guidelines and then screeching about how poo poo the tires are

Yeah, it's a combination of tire pressure and camber, which is why you'll often see "tire issues" affect entire teams at a clip. So if three teams are too aggressive, that spins out to 8-12 cars, and gives the appearance of a problem with the tires.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Croc posted:

The goodyear lottery races are always a blast

didn't the coke 600 also suffer from that one year?

it was the 2005 500 miler at charlotte that was a catastrophe, and iirc, like indy it was after they ground the track or something

jesus christ that was 11 and a half years ago :smithicide:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Heck of an ending, though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The closing laps of the 2005 Coke 600 literally made me a fan of NASCAR.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Heck of an ending, though.

you're thinking of that years coke 600 duder

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

financially racist posted:

you're thinking of that years coke 600 duder

600 was just as hosed up, iirc.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

shyduck posted:

The closing laps of the 2005 Coke 600 literally made me a fan of NASCAR.

Bobby Labonte choked almost as hard as the Falcons in this year's Super Bowl.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

L_Harrison posted:

I still remember him kicking the side of the car afterwards.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

600 was just as hosed up, iirc.

was it? all i remember is the finish

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

L_Harrison posted:

Nah, he was just too nice to stuff Jimmie in the wall as he tried to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't remember the Fall race at Charlotte in 2005 other than the obscure fact that it was pushed back because USC/Notre Dame ran long.

The 600 was clownshoes, though, and the only way it would've been better is if Labonte stuffed Jimmiebot in the fence coming to the line. I remember not liking it at first because that was the start of the summer from hell for Gordon, but I consoled myself in the fact that everyone else wrecked.

• Locked thread