Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Richard Bong posted:

Iirc Florida actually did this and the number of recipients actually popping hot were so low it was deemed a huge waste of money and resources.

Like somewhere in the high 90s was clean. So the amount saved was nowhere near the amount it cost to test everyone.

OF COURSE they were clean, because the program made them stay clean under threat of losing their unemployment benefits. It's literally curing addiction. Program success! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KildarX posted:

Don't the republican proposals disproportionately affect red counties and red states? A lot of suffering which is regretful, but a lot of schadenfreude as well.

It's gonna fuckin own dude

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

KildarX posted:

Don't the republican proposals disproportionately affect red counties and red states? A lot of suffering which is regretful, but a lot of schadenfreude as well.

No you see (R) is for Red and that's us :banjo:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KildarX posted:

I couldn't spite-write a piece of legislation that hosed rural whites harder.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm reasonably sure that Paul Ryan gets off by loving over poor white trash.

Which is ironic, since Wisconsin is 90% poor white trash.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah, Paul Ryan doesn't represent the interests of all those stupid broke Wisconsinites. Hell you can almost run an entire farm with just robots.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, Paul Ryan doesn't represent the interests of all those stupid broke Wisconsinites. Hell you can almost run an entire farm with just robots.

I'd be more sympathetic towards them, if they didn't pack the Mall of America every weekend and trash my work.

Today I saw a Mossy Oak tattoo, who the hell gets that?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

BigDave posted:

I'd be more sympathetic towards them, if they didn't pack the Mall of America every weekend and trash my work.

Today I saw a Mossy Oak tattoo, who the hell gets that?

so when I was recruiting and had to take down everyones tattoos on paper I dealt with a kid who had a chevy logo with deer antlers and a pair or maybe trio of kids who had a copenhagen can tattooed on their butts

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

is there a figure for how much america spends on welfare annually?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Two Finger posted:

Not enough

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Two Finger posted:

Our welfare programs are diverse and split across agencies and departments and varies from State, to National, to even local laws.

It's really hard to wrap your arms around. It's insane how much our national economy gets boosted by VA C&P payments. Those go Treasury->VA->Vet->Local Economy.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Our welfare programs are diverse and split across agencies and departments and varies from State, to National, to even local laws.

It's really hard to wrap your arms around. It's insane how much our national economy gets boosted by VA C&P payments. Those go Treasury->VA->Vet->Local Economy.

Please expound upon this. Thanks, dude.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Miloshe posted:

Please expound upon this. Thanks, dude.

well, personal example, I'm medically retired from the army, and between my VA pension and GI bill for going to school thats like uhhh $3k a month for doing nothing other than 12 credit hours and all that money gets spent wherever. multiply that by a poo poo ton of other people and thats an assload of money

generally people wont count it as "welfare" because "I EARNED THAT MONEY" except that I'm democrat so actually I'm scamming IDK its complicated :shrug:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Idaho has like a $300 year grocery tax credit and I had to argue with staunch republican soldier that that is technically welfare or at least something similar people are retarded I hate everyone

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Welfare" means a lot of different things for a lot of different populations.

We have veterans welfare in the form of healthcare and C&P and lots of other programs. These are only available to vets.

We have federal housing subsidies under programs like Chapter 8 that exist as welfare for the poor.

We have the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for low income families that buys food.

We have Social Security Disability Insurance as a defecto form of welfare in poor rural America.

This is just a sampling of welfare programs we have. There is no comprehensive list of everyone that receives benefits from the government.

But the good thing is that welfare payments, be they SNAP or vet C&P payments absolutely are a driving force in the real consumer economy.

When people think welfare they're thinking about the Temporary Assistance To Needy Families grants and Aid to Families With Dependent Children.

But the reality of the welfare system is way bigger and more comprehensive than it looks like on paper- and yet we still have homeless and hungry.

It's a beast. A goddamned beast. We could do it better, and probably boost the economy at the same time.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm a welfare queen ama

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Me too, to the tune of about $45k tax free annually once you add my pension and education benefits, and access to super cheap insurance through TRICare. $48 a month for TRICare Prime is criminally cheap. If I'm ever too broke for that I always have the VA.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Tricare Prime is the poo poo, easily the best part of my retirement until it gets cut.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Most people really don't think about how much welfare actually aids the economy, but the cumulative effect is massive. Off the top of my head, food stamps alone generate ~$7 into the economy for every government dollar spent, and that's just one program.

But of course we have to cut SNAP and anything else that could help the poor because :suicide:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
people hate SSDI but literally you get out of it what you paid into it. After like almost 20 years of working dumb jobs and the army

anyhow I'm tabulating my welfare queen poo poo atm:

Social Secruity gives me approx $1,400
VA for school 1350 (BAH rate for the area)
Retirement poo poo $1500 ish

and thats just income based on bank statements. Healthcare is probably about as cheap (and good) as it can be and tuition is covered outside of that so yeah lol I spend a lot of money on dumb poo poo, it's good for the economy

basically $4250 a month in disposable income because i live within my means and DINK

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Welfare is a very good thing, I just think we could do it better and juice up the economy at the same time.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They offered to put me in for social security when they medically retired me.. I thought SSDI meant limiting how much money your allowed to have in the bank and you can't work. Am I wrong? Should I have gone for it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm a welfare queen ama

Did we ever decide on the new gang tag?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Most people really don't think about how much welfare actually aids the economy, but the cumulative effect is massive. Off the top of my head, food stamps alone generate ~$7 into the economy for every government dollar spent, and that's just one program.

But of course we have to cut SNAP and anything else that could help the poor because :suicide:

honestly whoever the gently caress came up with this whole concept of trickle down deserves to be shot. doubly so since i read somewhere they made a rounding error giving the false impression in the first place.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

my mum was a solo parent raising three kids, we relied heavily on welfare and as a result she has three successful children who pump way more back into the economy than whatever the government gave her to help bring us up

LONG TERM PAYBACK

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
What's worse is you have guys like Paul Ryan who directly benefited from the welfare system and wouldn't have been nearly as successful as they are without it, and their first and only instinct is to burn it all down to satisfy their Randian delusions.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

They offered to put me in for social security when they medically retired me.. I thought SSDI meant limiting how much money your allowed to have in the bank and you can't work. Am I wrong? Should I have gone for it?

nah dude afaik none of that matters. Fill it out. You do an interview with a dude after doing all the paper work. You can look up your statement right now to see how much your entitled to. You can even technically work with it but it is an absurdly low amount, like $800 a month or something like that. If you negotiate to get around that then thats fraud but otherwise how much i have in savings or whatever hasn't meant poo poo. I don't gently caress around with IRS or SSA so I'd rather not work and risk having to pay poo poo back but yeah it's nothing. I think I had to fill out a huge packet, it took some months and then it was approved. Hell if you haven't been working for awhile and you diagnosis goes back aways you might even get back paid to your diagnosis minus ~6 months or so IIRC.

It's your money, you paid into it, get into it before it goes away. YOu'd be dumb as gently caress not to try, worst case scenario they say no, but hell htey have lawyers to fight that too. I had none of the nightmare poo poo though. Sent all the docs I had from the army and answered basically a few questions by some psych guy to be sure I wasn't just making poo poo up and it was approved. You're literally loving yourself if you don't try.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 20, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you PM me on where to start for this?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Can you PM me on where to start for this?

wilco

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My uncle who spent most of his life talking poo poo about how irresponsible poor people are went bankrupt to the tune of $600k. In his ideal society the government would have thrown him in debtor's prison or let his family starve to death. He also had his kids take out student loans to pay for business expenses :laugh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

"Welfare" means a lot of different things for a lot of different populations.

We have veterans welfare in the form of healthcare and C&P and lots of other programs. These are only available to vets.

We have federal housing subsidies under programs like Chapter 8 that exist as welfare for the poor.

We have the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for low income families that buys food.

We have Social Security Disability Insurance as a defecto form of welfare in poor rural America.

This is just a sampling of welfare programs we have. There is no comprehensive list of everyone that receives benefits from the government.

But the good thing is that welfare payments, be they SNAP or vet C&P payments absolutely are a driving force in the real consumer economy.

When people think welfare they're thinking about the Temporary Assistance To Needy Families grants and Aid to Families With Dependent Children.

But the reality of the welfare system is way bigger and more comprehensive than it looks like on paper- and yet we still have homeless and hungry.

It's a beast. A goddamned beast. We could do it better, and probably boost the economy at the same time.

Burn it all to the ground. Boot straps mother fucker! MAGA

Me? Oh I inherited my massive wealth. Turns out money makes money. gently caress you, got mine.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Short of the US invading, how does North Korea fix itself? Coup? Hope Jim Jong-un has no male heirs and then wait for him to die? Wait until everyone literally starves to death then simply repopulate it? Annihilate the entire country after they launch a fizzled nuclear weapon?

How do you fix a failed, rogue state led by a man baby who threatens to throw a nuclear fueled temper tantrum?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

How do you fix a failed, rogue state led by a man baby who threatens to throw a nuclear fueled temper tantrum?

This same question can be turned inwardly, ironically enough. :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe some crisis that China is unwilling or unable to bail them out of. Whatever happens there will be a massive humanitarian crisis that fucks up South Korea. With 6 years of Syrian Civil War and a major populism problem worldwide I don't see the international community banding together to help sort things out.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Two Finger posted:

honestly whoever the gently caress came up with this whole concept of trickle down deserves to be shot. doubly so since i read somewhere they made a rounding error giving the false impression in the first place.

It's been around for a long time. Back in the 1800s they called it "Horse and Sparrow" economics. You give the extra oats to the horse, which shits them out and the sparrows come and eat the leftovers out of the horse's poo poo. That sounds like a lot better analogy although it never quite caught on.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sergg posted:

It's been around for a long time. Back in the 1800s they called it "Horse and Sparrow" economics. You give the extra oats to the horse, which shits them out and the sparrows come and eat the leftovers out of the horse's poo poo. That sounds like a lot better analogy although it never quite caught on.

I bet if we bring that terminology back it won't be nearly as popular.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

What are the predictions for Comey today

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

What are the predictions for Comey today

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is it time for today's poo poo- err tweet storm yet? Orangegropenfuhrer has to get ahead of this Comey thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm done with posting trump tweets™ so I'm just gonna say that he's tripling down on the wiretap claim, saying dems got the the media to cover it up as fake news

• Locked thread