Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hank is definitely one of those hard working people who has savings, no debt, old cars, a very low interest home loan, and a responsible budget, who is just one debilitating catastrophic health crisis away from complete and utter penury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Like oh poo poo I've been building up this savings account since I was 23 years old and now it literally covers only 30% of this one hospital bill I got for trying to stay alive.

Also more of these bills are on the way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Lol no Hank needed to make peace with their differences, his open contempt for Bobbys interests was probably more damaging than letting Bobby do them in the first place

It's not Bobby's interests that are bad, it's his general stupidity and selfishness.

Superficially Hank is the strict, no-fun conservative jerk and Bobby is a fun free spirit but deep down Hank is a genuinely good person who tries his best to help people, and Bobby is a spoiled little poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like the Johnny Knoxville poo picking up episode, it looks like Hank is just being an rear end in a top hat because Bobby doesn't want to work at Strickland but it turns out he's got a good point and is looking out for Bobby's well-being.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the Coven of Artemis were cool guys though

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Like oh poo poo I've been building up this savings account since I was 23 years old and now it literally covers only 30% of this one hospital bill I got for trying to stay alive.

Also more of these bills are on the way.

:patriot:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the Coven of Artemis were cool guys though

Were those the "Magick with a K" guys?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You either had your rear end kicked too much or not enough

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Testikles posted:

He has one credit card he carries for emergencies and the only other one he might have he used to get a discount on a dryer.

Breaking down their finances. Hank and Peggy probably put the generally accepted 10% into a 401K. So that leaves them with $54,000. I vaguely recall reading in this thread Hank might have already paid off most of the house, but assuming he has a regular mortgage, and Hank being Hank, he probably has a stupidly short one to get things over with and pay it all off as fast as possible. Let's assume a 15 year mortgage (why not), and he has another roughly $15,000 a year to pay off a likely $180,000 house (about the median value). Keeping the math simple that leaves him with $39,000. He also has to pay property tax (there is no income tax in Texas) which is 1.94% but to make the math easier let's make it a flat $4,000. The Hills have $35,000 or just under $3,000 a month for all three of them for groceries, bills, truck payments and so on. That's still pretty good considering.

Its worth noting that Arlen is based on the Dallas suburb of Garland, TX. Right now homes in Garland are going for 180K, but the real estate market here is currently absolutely insane. In a more sane market most homes in the area are going to be in the $150k range. I wish I could find better salary data, but pay for a high school graduate in a non skilled trade, even if they are low level management, is not going to be anywhere near $54k. $35k is far more likely in this area.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Were those the "Magick with a K" guys?

Yeah it's David Cross trying to get Bobby to drink dog blood.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But another thing, too, is to maybe go back in time about 10-12 years to when they might have bought the house, too. Or, by show standards, if they bought it between late 80s and very late 90s? Like I said, considering all four of the adult guys in the show seemed to have been HS buddies and been able to buy houses on practically the same block, it seems like there could be something to that.

I know this is digging deep/fan theory for a cartoon, but there were some savings and loans failures/scandals in that window. I wonder if that resulted in a combination of factors lead to Arlen real estate just being undervalued at the time but gradually increased over by the time the Khans buy a home next door.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also keep in mind home 'values' have gone up by hundreds of percent in some areas (not sure about TX at large) since the time they would have bought the house so regardless of what their home would be worth now you can bet they weren't paying real estate speculator prices back then.

For example I know of a $40,000 house in 1999 that's valued today at $200,000 and is actually in worse shape since then

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

But another thing, too, is to maybe go back in time about 10-12 years to when they might have bought the house, too. Or, by show standards, if they bought it between late 80s and very late 90s?

They had the house when Bobby was born if I'm not mistaken, which would put it 12 years before the start of the show, so about 1985.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
did anyone mention that there is an unofficial plugin for roku that has 24/7 random king of the hill? because it does. 24/7 south park works like 40% of the time but king of the hill has been solid.

http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/xtv-4196-thread.html

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Just started Care-Takin' Care of Business. Why does Arlen care so much about high school football?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

dc3k posted:

Just started Care-Takin' Care of Business. Why does Arlen care so much about high school football?

What state is this show set in?

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

dc3k posted:

That's just Texas for you. Odessa, Southlake, and Katy are all real life examples of towns in Texas that are obsessed with high school football. I grew up in one of those towns, the culture is absolutely insane. That was one thing in KOTH that really hit home, guys like Hank who have no kids on the team or even in the school but religiously go to every game. There's folks who haven't missed a game in like 20 years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Nucleic Acids posted:

What state is this show set in?
I don't know anything about Texas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sheriff posted:

There's folks who haven't missed a game in like 20 years.
hosed up if true

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Diego Gomez is a fuckin sweet name.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Peggy can never not be Peggy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Peggy can never not be Peggy.

Boomhauer cant possibly translate to that.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I feel like boomhauer's Spanish name is some kind of joke that's flying over my head.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
I want to know how the Spanish language version handles it when Peggy mangles the language.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ChickenWyngz posted:

I want to know how the Spanish language version handles it when Peggy mangles the language.

And how they do Boomhaur in Spanish.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Denim Dude posted:

did anyone mention that there is an unofficial plugin for roku that has 24/7 random king of the hill? because it does. 24/7 south park works like 40% of the time but king of the hill has been solid.

http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/xtv-4196-thread.html
Isn't this the one that pops up with le epic pepe 1488 trump memes between episodes or am I thinking of something else

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just want to quickly re-derail about the newer seasons of Beavis and Butthead, they blew my expectations away.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just want to quickly re-derail about the newer seasons of Beavis and Butthead, they blew my expectations away.

It's the only revibal show that's still as good as the original

It needs a Netflix or amazo season...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Los Reyes de la colina

The family is called the Kings in the Spanish translation

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

¡Caramba Beto!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Kings of the Hill actually makes more sense. Kind of like how Game of Thrones in Spanish is Throne of Swords which sounds more badass

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

HAT FETISH posted:

Isn't this the one that pops up with le epic pepe 1488 trump memes between episodes or am I thinking of something else

You're thinking of something else as far as I know

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's the only revibal show that's still as good as the original

It needs a Netflix or amazo season...

I'd argue that the new season was better than the old; they had nothing good to say about any of the current MTV programming, and them trashing poo poo is always funnier than when they love something.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd argue that the new season was better than the old; they had nothing good to say about any of the current MTV programming, and them trashing poo poo is always funnier than when they love something.

Mocking the various stupid shows that MTV has on was genius. Had to switch it up anyway. The kind of music that existed during the initial B+B run just doesn't exist anymore.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

CoffeeBooze posted:

Its worth noting that Arlen is based on the Dallas suburb of Garland, TX. Right now homes in Garland are going for 180K, but the real estate market here is currently absolutely insane. In a more sane market most homes in the area are going to be in the $150k range. I wish I could find better salary data, but pay for a high school graduate in a non skilled trade, even if they are low level management, is not going to be anywhere near $54k. $35k is far more likely in this area.

As others have mentioned there's the matter of when the Hill's purchased their home, but also looking at how Arlen looks in episodes, it might be based on a suburb but it's not meant to be a Dallas suburb. It appears to be a town separated from any major city. Characters have to travel out of their way to go to major cities and in Nancy Does Dallas, she moves out of the Gribble household to work in Dallas. It's kind of everywhere and nowhere in Texas but it has a very detached feel and doesn't seem to be part of any larger conurbation. It's possible Arlen might not have experienced a housing boom (it did experience hipsters in that one episode but even Des Moines has hipsters).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Using this comparison, while Arlen does have a university as apparently referenced in the episode "The Arrowhead", it doesn't seem like a college town to me other than having Arlen Community College that's been brought up a few times and a second community college known as "Heimlich County Junior College" from the final episode. It's maybe possible Arlen University is only Arlen in name only, specifically named after "Leland Arlen" and not due to its location in Arlen, proper. It's also possible that the county has more than one community college and/or the name of ACC was changed to HCJC at some point in the series run.

Also, a KOTH site says the population of Arlen states: "It has a population of 145,300 people according to a sign seen in the episode "Hank's Cowboy Movie," where Hank and Bobby return from the Cowboys training camp in Wichita Falls, and in Season 2 episode "Snow Job" the population is 1,454."

I could maybe see an argument for Arlen having the population for 1454, but perhaps serving as a hub for other smaller surrounding towns in the region or under some sort of umbrella "Arlen Township" status for the purposes of public schools, hospitals, public works, etc. that explain how Arlen's territory can be as small and and large as need be and with Heimlich County supposed to have had the population of nearly 150k, instead. But according to Wiki, there are no communities with "Civil Township" status in Texas, so that theory goes out the window.

tl;dr: I'm obsessed with cracking the Arlen socio-economic riddle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JediTalentAgent posted:

tl;dr: I'm obsessed with cracking the Arlen socio-economic riddle.

if you come from a town with a community college, you'll know that the locals frequently refer to it as a university or full college, and not a community college

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

if you come from a town with a community college, you'll know that the locals frequently refer to it as a university or full college, and not a community college

Possibly true enough. Most folks refer to ours as just the college or by the school's name, or if you're of a certain age 'the junior college'.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, a KOTH site says the population of Arlen states: "It has a population of 145,300 people according to a sign seen in the episode "Hank's Cowboy Movie," where Hank and Bobby return from the Cowboys training camp in Wichita Falls, and in Season 2 episode "Snow Job" the population is 1,454."

I could maybe see an argument for Arlen having the population for 1454, but perhaps serving as a hub for other smaller surrounding towns in the region or under some sort of umbrella "Arlen Township" status for the purposes of public schools, hospitals, public works, etc. that explain how Arlen's territory can be as small and and large as need be and with Heimlich County supposed to have had the population of nearly 150k, instead. But according to Wiki, there are no communities with "Civil Township" status in Texas, so that theory goes out the window.

As far as population goes, I live in Jonesboro, AR, which has a listed pop of between 60 and 70K. However, as you suggested about Arlen, sort of serves as a "hub" for the multiple smaller towns in the area.
The cities population can swell up to 100K or higher due to people coming in. Arlen would be a fairly sizable place if it had a listed pop of 145K.
If Hank had bought that house in the early to mid 80s, he could have gotten it for a steal, comparatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Splitting the difference in decimal places between 1500 and 150,000, Arlen with a population of 15,000 seems maybe a little closer to realistic for Arlen given its portrayal. Small enough to be sort of small-town with everyone knowing all the stuff going on, big enough to get a Mega-Lo-Mart, have a TV station, have some smaller colleges in/around it and serve as 'the city' or the county seat to some of the more rural areas surrounding it.