Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Speaking of Netflix shows, season 2 of Love is a big improvement over the first. Everyone still sucks (kind of the point), but nothing feels mean for meanness sake this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

Hahaha :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the common theme here with the complaints about the Netflix Marvel shows is that all of them could have used more time in the oven. I think they're trying to get them out too fast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow American Crime s2e8 is an incredible episode of television. brave choice to intersperse unrelated (but original to the show) real-life interviews with the fictional narrative but it ended up fantastic and powerful as hell

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

On SeeSo, I found a show called "The Amazing Gayl Pile." From two episodes it feels like I found a lost skit from Adult Swim's Informercial time slot. Like, this is going to end in a very Gonzo way.

Am I right or is it just a cheap sitcom? This seems like the kind of thing that I hope has a major payoff.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

Now I just want to watch The Raid again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

I think the common theme here with the complaints about the Netflix Marvel shows is that all of them could have used more time in the oven. I think they're trying to get them out too fast.

I don't know, the one with the shortest development time has been the best one so far.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

The entire reason I got interested in season one of Daredevil was because of that one fight scene in the second episode that was like one unbroken three minute shot of him going back and forth across a single hallways clearing out entire rooms of goons. :sigh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm gonna miss the star system on Netflix, I hate simple thumbs up/down ratings when it comes to media review. It's not like I'd rate Psych and Master of None the same.

Escobarbarian posted:

I read something about Reddit alt-righters teaming up to give it one star but they clearly didn't need to because maaaan it stinks so bad

There's something about female stand-ups that brings out the misogynists like leaving out trash brings raccoons.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Iron Fist feels dated. Like he should be fighting Lou Ferrigno's Hulk or something.

Imposters is pretty great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I just think it's funny that a show on an online only service is more conventionally boring than on FX.

I dunno, I'm starting to get the feeling that Netflix shows are using "bingable" as a crutch for "we couldn't make the episodes interesting on their own".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of people seem to like the ninja stuff. All the poo poo with Elektra and ninjas shoudl have been excised. I know it's part of the core Daredevil lore but the only reason that stuff was put it was because they needed filler.

Honestly, every time I've made this argument is feels like it's mostly the comic book readers arguing against me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The ninjas were executed poorly, is why people argue against that. It's not that having ninjas and weird mystical stuff is inherently unacceptable to the setting, it's just that these ninjas had really unclear and dumb motivations and acted really stupid and didn't even manage to give the show some good fight scenes.

The ninja stuff annoyed me because I read the comics and I know the ninja stuff is capable of not sucking. Same with Elektra, her plotline was just all over the place in the show and I don't know why.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wanted something more interesting for Black Sky than "Punchy-Kicky-Woman is the chosen one".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The ninjas were executed poorly, is why people argue against that. It's not that having ninjas and weird mystical stuff is inherently unacceptable to the setting, it's just that these ninjas had really unclear and dumb motivations and acted really stupid and didn't even manage to give the show some good fight scenes.

The ninja stuff annoyed me because I read the comics and I know the ninja stuff is capable of not sucking. Same with Elektra, her plotline was just all over the place in the show and I don't know why.

Iron Fist has the worst of this. I mean all Gao's Hand wants apparently is to make a lot of money selling heroin, for reasons that are never explained. Then youth cult Hand steps in and they apparently want to... Stop capitalism? It's never really explained either and the entire end-season conflicts revolves around them attacking Danny for no real reason in the compound which everything then escalates from. Then I remember the entire Hand plotline from Daredevil Season 2 and everything makes even loving less sense than it already did because the immortal ninja's are just gone and nothing from that season connects to anything in Iron Fist.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Iron Fist has the worst of this. I mean all Gao's Hand wants apparently is to make a lot of money selling heroin, for reasons that are never explained. Then youth cult Hand steps in and they apparently want to... Stop capitalism? It's never really explained either and the entire end-season conflicts revolves around them attacking Danny for no real reason in the compound which everything then escalates from. Then I remember the entire Hand plotline from Daredevil Season 2 and everything makes even loving less sense than it already did because the immortal ninja's are just gone and nothing from that season connects to anything in Iron Fist.

It's like someone read a wiki synopsis of the Hand from the comics and thought doing that piecemeal with no context would be great for a "Defenders" big reveal without realizing that all the Hand stuff is confusing and baffling to anyone except comic book fans and the whole point of the MCU is to tell creative stories you don't need to know anything about beforehand.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It just feels like everything else the mcu does: they are zeroing in on a formula that is "good enough" to make a consistent profit. They're just checking boxes, because it's all they need to do.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Rarity posted:

So have we reached the stage in revisionist history where because Iron Fist is bad now everything before Iron Fist was bad?

I watched them all in real time (I mean at the point that they were released, but I'm a goonlady so basically in a single day+)

Daredeivl season 1 was a bit slow and really uneven, but it has some really amazing fight scenes, like the one in the hallway, that's a single shot was AMAZING. The bad guy (Personally I think Vincent D'Nofrio is EXTREMLEY overrated) sucks IMHO but that's not a majority opinion. The main character actor is pretty cool and a good choice.

Jessica Jones was terrible boring and honestly there was not much going on.

NIck Cage was really uneven and I am pretty sure that everyone will agree that the first bad guy was much cooler than the UPPER bad guy that showed up later, and it kind of made it a bit weird.

The second season of Daredevil was cool, but to be honest, I have actually forgotten most of it, which isn't the best sign, or maybe I was just tired that day. I wouldn't discount it because of what Doggpickle can remember, but I remember most everything, and that's possibly a sign of some sort.

I was IN love with Iron Fist until episode 4 when it lost all it's steam, didn't know where it was going, and didn't have much of an interesting conclusion after that. I liked the main guy, with his completely innocent "HEY THAT"S MY BUILDING. and I don't have any shoes" routine and it was cute at first, but I have to admit that the actor might not actually have real chops when it came to the later stuff. I guess they picked him for his physique and his ability to look like he just flew up a fence and onto a balcony Jackie Chan style, but the fights scenes really seemed to diminish in quality as well. I read someone complaining about the scenes in Ep 1 and 2 and I was like WTF that's really cool looking defensive old-school kung-fu. But it's like they'd used up all their budget or something because the fight parts got progressively worse and it was really odd.

The shootout in the place with glass (not being an idiot, just attempting a slight bit of non-spoileration) is HORRIBLE. There are multiple scenes of everyone just standing around. It's BAD. It's not filmed well. It doesn't make any sense and it really is like 2 people out of 10 are active at once while everyone just hangs around watching. It SUCKED.

so in conclusion, Daredevil is pretty good, Cage is ok if you know ahead of time that it's going to go downhill at the end, and Iron Fist is sadly terrible because it pulls you in at first and then just dies a slow horrible death over the next 7 hours :(

*edit LOL I forgot Jessica Jones entirely in my conclusion. I think that speaks for itself.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jessica Jones was the only one I thought was actually good the whole way through. DD s1 was half a good show. Season 2 was unwatchable. I gave up after 2 episodes, I think.

Regardless, I'm basically done with Marvel Netflix shows. It doesn't seem like they are continuing to inovate past their initial success. There is lots of good tv happening right now, I don't need to pad my viewing with this soulless stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Jessica Jones was the only one I thought was actually good the whole way through. DD s1 was half a good show. Season 2 was unwatchable. I gave up after 2 episodes, I think.

Regardless, I'm basically done with Marvel Netflix shows. It doesn't seem like they are continuing to inovate past their initial success. There is lots of good tv happening right now, I don't need to pad my viewing with this soulless stuff.

It's a times like this I wish I didn't wake up around 4am in an average morning so I could do the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sleep schedule has nothing to do with it. I used to work 5-1s and 6-2s all the time. The trick is not having a social life or doing any productive activities unless absolutely necessary. 8 hours for work, 8 hours for sleep, an hour for commute. An hour for meal prep, an hour for other chores like laundry and dishes... You've still got like 5 hours to watch tv and play video games. Every. Day.

God, I'm worthless.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I think it's really popular on the Couch Chat to give Jessica Jones poo poo when the year it came out, there was a reason people put it in their Top Tens consistently: it's good. I totally agree with some people in that Netflix Marvel shows tend to have one good story for a couple of episodes and stretch that out unnecessarily, making some of the episodes duds. Whether that's half a season, like Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2, or 2-3 episodes, like Daredevil S1 or Jessica Jones, it varies. I still haven't gotten to Iron Fist. I'm not looking forward to it after slogging my way through the last half of Luke Cage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

For some reason I can't entirely explain I've been watching Last Man on Earth on Hulu. And I hate it but I just kept watching because it was something to have on in the background. But then it started to slowly improve as more characters showed up and took more of the story and Will Forte starts to take it down a few notches. And I actually kind of started to enjoy it.

So then almost immediately Jason Sudaekis shows up and Forte is right back to intolerable again.

Is it possible to like a show except for hating the star and creative force behind it?

First episode was good then it roller coasters into the shitter, flops around, splashes some, and then slowly crawls out. I don't regret watching but drat Forte can be obnoxious at times. And yet for some reason I look forward to every episode, I also dread every episode. It has a weird charm and sincerity.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I think it's really popular on the Couch Chat to give Jessica Jones poo poo when the year it came out, there was a reason people put it in their Top Tens consistently: it's good.

It got put on top tens because goons lose their loving poo poo over its specific subject matter and to this day will excuse its faults due to it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most of the criticism of Jessica Jones are the gooniest tactical realism bullshit, completely devoid of any empathy or interest in the emotional states of the characters. More concisely: most criticism seemed to be that it was character-driven, rather than plot-driven, narrative.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

God, I'm worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H50llsHm3k

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lycus posted:

I wanted something more interesting for Black Sky than "Punchy-Kicky-Woman is the chosen one".

After all that buildup, it's just some Anakin Skywalker poo poo.

Pan Dulce posted:

I totally agree with some people in that Netflix Marvel shows tend to have one good story for a couple of episodes and stretch that out unnecessarily, making some of the episodes duds.

The irony being that Season 2 of Daredevil is the only one that has 2 stories that aren't entirely related, meaning it could transition from one to the other to make a full compelling season, but they completely hosed up one of them, so it's by far the most uneven of the shows.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 20, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lurdiak posted:

The irony being that Season 2 of Daredevil is the only one that has 2 stories that aren't entirely related, meaning it could transition from one to the other to make a full compelling season

And one of the two they're now spinning off ino a full 13-episode season of its own: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5675620

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well sure, everyone knew as soon as Punisher was involved in Daredevil that it was a backdoor pilot kind of situation.

At least Punisher's tendency to loving murder his enemies means they might not make him chase the same guy for 13 episodes, again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Most of the criticism of Jessica Jones are the gooniest tactical realism bullshit, completely devoid of any empathy or interest in the emotional states of the characters. More concisely: most criticism seemed to be that it was character-driven, rather than plot-driven, narrative.

lol no. The problem with Jessica Jones is that it doesn't really do what it does all that well, due to having mediocre writing and dialogue and dogshit pacing. People really did excuse a myriad of faults because it was about abuse of women and whatnot. I'm happy the show exists, but the acclaim clearly comes from it tackling unique themes rather than it actually being a high-quality series.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Has anyone been watching Big Little Lies? It starts off a little clunky, but the latest episode was fantastic. It involved a genuinely jarring moment where (minor joke spoiler) Laura Dern terrorised Reese Witherspoon with muppets.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This season of Homeland gets better (and more tense) every week. F. Murray Abraham is a wonderful prick and Rupert Friend is rad as poo poo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gluten Freeman posted:

Has anyone been watching Big Little Lies? It starts off a little clunky, but the latest episode was fantastic. It involved a genuinely jarring moment where (minor joke spoiler) Laura Dern terrorised Reese Witherspoon with muppets.

I've been watching it and I think it's a pretty good slow burn show. All of the performances have been good and it uses one of my favorite new artist's songs for its opening theme which is great, too.

This recent episode was legitimately good television though and I can't wait to see what's next.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been watching it and I think it's a pretty good slow burn show. All of the performances have been good and it uses one of my favorite new artist's songs for its opening theme which is great, too.

This recent episode was legitimately good television though and I can't wait to see what's next.

The trailers made it look painfully generic, what's it tonally similar to?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was initially interested based on the cast but it's a David E. Kelley show and he isn't really good anymore and reviews all said the cast was the only good thing

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oh Snapple! posted:

It got put on top tens because goons lose their loving poo poo over its specific subject matter and to this day will excuse its faults due to it.

Yeah, it's possible to acknowledge and even admire what JJ was going for without completely rejecting every criticism of the show as goony goon goons hating women.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I loved Jessica Jones, but it's definitely not devoid of problems. It absolutely is character-driven which is its main strength outside of its biting and provocative themes, but unfortunately the only characters worth a drat on the show are Jessica, Kilgrave, and Cage. When your main B-story is about a dorky friend who really likes kickboxing falling for a doughy lame Captain America-knockoff, it kinda weakens your show whenever they're the focus and feels like wheel-spinning. But every time it was focused on Jones and Kilgrave and the series was speaking to abuse and victimhood, it was terrific.

Then Luke Cage went ahead and sucked all the cool out of Cage and made him some grumpy conservative square? He immediately went from charming, smooth badass to your-friend's-corny-dad when he moved shows. It was bizarre. I hope he's way more like the JJ version in Defenders than in his own show.

e: Actually, the redhead neighbor on JJ was great too. But her story wasn't particularly well-executed. Junkie neighbor was boring but never felt like it was wasting your time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two posts above are very good except I would argue Killgrave wasn't great after they completely showed their hand with him in ep 8.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Emotional connection can help you forgive a lot, and a show that can forge such a connection despite its faults in the narrative is accomplished in its own right, so let's pump the brakes on the "LOL GOONS" bullshit. Jessica Jones has problems; some illustrated by feedmyleg above. But just because those problems don't matter as much to certain people doesn't make them bad at watching TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People can form emotional connections to things for all sort of bullshit reasons tbh. I definitely don't think that means anything with regards to how good a show is.

• Locked thread