Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What do you need to make your ling 100% fireproof?

Ifrit. Stack on some Blaze Rings if you want to go over 100% to deal with the inevitable debuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Got Y'shtola on a 5k coin pull with around 300k total points. :toot:

Only have 3 of her upgrade material though, and not enough mats to make her weapon or armor yet. Minfilia's at 65% TM and Thancred #2 is at 45% so far.

jetz0r posted:

:woop:

Only 220 pulls into the raid banner, too!

:hfive:

RottenK posted:

Do I have a chance to get Thancred or a few if I'm a new player still in chapter 1? I want to rebuild my record keeper boy band. Not that I can, only two of the characters are even in this game right now, but still, gotta start.

If you're running the event at all it's basically impossible to not get him. Check my post earlier about using buff whale noctis friends to solo PRO (maybe) for you which will get you a lot of coins and points so you can have a good shot at getting minfilia (and her upgrade materials) and maybe Y'shtola too.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm here I think. The raid seems to be going fine and I'm enjoying knocking Ifrit down. Got a 150% Fire Resist Cecil if anyone needs a tank.

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

Kemix posted:

I'm here I think. The raid seems to be going fine and I'm enjoying knocking Ifrit down. Got a 150% Fire Resist Cecil if anyone needs a tank.

Do materia stack like this? The wiki seems to suggest otherwise, but I'm too new to have two of the same +% materia to test this myself.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Just looked at Minfilia's abilities on the wiki and she doesn't have a skill called Pray Return. This is officially the worst FF14 crossover :colbert:

I GUESS I can forgive the game though, since I now have 5 Zidanes and 9 Cecils, and one of them came with a Sparky moogle.

I still have 8 tickets and lapis set aside for one more 11-pull, but I think I'll see what my dailies between now and Wednesday bring before I commit anymore resources to this. I'd like to get at least my first Chizuru though...

edit: holy poo poo, I didn't realize how many Thancreds I had until I got the 'unit list full' popup. I just fused one up to 100% from nothing and the next one's at 60% already. Works for me, I don't have poo poo for attack% materia yet.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Is keeping 50 million Tancreds even useful? I'm getting tired of burning lapis on more unit slots :(

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
What are people's thoughts on Demon Rain as a Tank?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Thancred is made to be fodder so you can have his TMR, and if you do this raid enough, you can probably sell all the 10% atk materias you have.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Dockworker posted:

Do materia stack like this? The wiki seems to suggest otherwise, but I'm too new to have two of the same +% materia to test this myself.

Yeah, unless it specifically states otherwise like Dark Fina's or Leon's.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I think that banner is the single banner we all wish we could go back in time and whale harder on.

This motivated me to story blitz and 11-pull again. Lapis bank is empty, but I've got Dark Fina, Refia (with no Y'shtola yet) and enough Cecils forever. Now I have a 6* healer and Mage!

Mad Fnorder fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 19, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I really want a Y'shtola, I've never drawn a Ludmille.

Can't do Gilgamesh (at all, but especially for Bushido: Freedom) apparently till I have a Y'shtola or another Dualcast healer.

Can't to Ifrit on ELT for an easy Y'shtola until I have Bushido: Freedom and a... Y'shtola.

Gonna have to burn Lapis. Good thing I got that refund for all the Sheras.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 19, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ubiquitus posted:

Is keeping 50 million Tancreds even useful? I'm getting tired of burning lapis on more unit slots :(

Pick a Thancred, feed 20 other Thancreds to him for his TMR and afterwards sell/fuse the mastered Thancred. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Farming PRO means getting around one Thancred TMR every two days so you'll probably have half a dozen or more of his 10% hp/atk materia when the event ends. More if you're able to farm ELT instead.

Gonna be nice to get rid of a bunch of 10% atk (and maybe some 10% hp) materia when this is over. Should end up with a couple of Minfilia's TMRs with any luck, though if they can't stack with themselves that's unfortunate.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Can't do Gilgamesh (at all, but especially for Bushido: Freedom) apparently till I have a Y'shtola or another Dualcast healer.

Can't to Ifrit on ELT for an easy Y'shtola until I have Bushido: Freedom and a... Y'shtola.

Farm PRO. Even if you don't pull Y'shtola from the banner gacha before you hit 1.2m points you'll have a decent shot at getting the 1.2m points if you're spending your ifrit orbs frequently.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This game. First, it buried me in Sheras. Now I'm dying under Zidanes.

I just want Noctis and Olive, game! :negative:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pick a Thancred, feed 20 other Thancreds to him for his TMR and afterwards sell/fuse the mastered Thancred. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Farming PRO means getting around one Thancred TMR every two days so you'll probably have half a dozen or more of his 10% hp/atk materia when the event ends. More if you're able to farm ELT instead.

Gonna be nice to get rid of a bunch of 10% atk (and maybe some 10% hp) materia when this is over. Should end up with a couple of Minfilia's TMRs with any luck, though if they can't stack with themselves that's unfortunate.

Ahhh I didn't realize fusing units gives a trust bonus at lvl 1. Thanks!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Kheldarn posted:

This game. First, it buried me in Sheras. Now I'm dying under Zidanes.

I just want Noctis and Olive, game! :negative:

Zidanes at least have good tmr and multiple make it easier to farm it up

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

If you farm PRO exclusively, and for some reason haven't ran the event at all yet and have zero points, you will top out with 1,531,200 if you start right now with remaining orbs available. If you already have 100k points then congrats you'll get every reward possible.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

What are people's thoughts on Demon Rain as a Tank?

I have him... but I'm not using him.
Cecil just has too much utility and huge defense values and can easily be decked out in Flame Mail and Flame Shield for Fire REsist.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

RottenK posted:

Do I have a chance to get Thancred or a few if I'm a new player still in chapter 1? I want to rebuild my record keeper boy band. Not that I can, only two of the characters are even in this game right now, but still, gotta start.

Go through the spreadsheet, post your friend ID here, and hop into discord to get some goonwhales with Noctises on your friends list.

A 800+ atk Noctis should be solo PRO by Fire Flasking to stick a paralyze first turn, then Warp Breaking till Ifrit is dead. If you have any way to buff Noctis's attack with your party, do it. Other wise, just try to build up some chain so he hits harder.

The 1000+ atk Olives should also work, two True Shots should be able to kill Ifrit. But he won't be paralyzed, so if you can toss any fire resist, spr, or def buffs on Olive, that would help.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zidanes at least have good tmr and multiple make it easier to farm it up

That's the only plus side.

McSpankWich posted:

If you farm PRO exclusively, and for some reason haven't ran the event at all yet and have zero points, you will top out with 1,531,200 if you start right now with remaining orbs available. If you already have 100k points then congrats you'll get every reward possible.

Cool. I've been doing it since the start, and I'm at 120,000 points, running Pro almost exclusivly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So is minfilia's TM good enough that I want multiple?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Nuebot posted:

So is minfilia's TM good enough that I want multiple?

meh, it's half as good as Garnet's. you're probably better served with HP materia instead.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I can currently only do PRO when a certain few goon whale friends are available to bring. Have one 800+ noctis, one 1000+ Olive, and one 800+ person on a chocobo who can close to solo it with minor help from my team. At 150k points so far though.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
898 pulls, 133 Thancreds, 23 Minfilias, 0 Yoshi Cola. At this rate, I'll be getting her from the failsafe.

300k more to go! :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

I can currently only do PRO when a certain few goon whale friends are available to bring. Have one 800+ noctis, one 1000+ Olive, and one 800+ person on a chocobo who can close to solo it with minor help from my team. At 150k points so far though.

Make sure you have party members using buffs/debuffs, especially imperil, if you aren't. That way your Noctis buddies can focus on fire flask round 1 and then hitting with warp break or w/e until one side or the other dies. Give your team weapons with the same element so they can element chain to boost Noctis's damage further to up your chances of killing Ifrit before paralyze even has a chance to wear off.

Varance posted:

898 pulls, 133 Thancreds, 23 Minfilias, 0 Yoshi Cola. At this rate, I'll be getting her from the failsafe.

300k more to go! :negative:

I'd give up my Y'shtola in an instant if it meant my off-banner Queen dupe could turn in to Greg or Noctis. At least you got a bunch of atk/hp materia for your units. :shobon:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Rocketpriest posted:

Just looked at Minfilia's abilities on the wiki and she doesn't have a skill called Pray Return. This is officially the worst FF14 crossover :colbert:

If I saw the animation for her Limit Break correctly, it's her calling in actually useful Scions over her linkpearl, so I consider that close enough to Pray Return.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Evil Fluffy posted:

Make sure you have party members using buffs/debuffs, especially imperil, if you aren't. That way your Noctis buddies can focus on fire flask round 1 and then hitting with warp break or w/e until one side or the other dies. Give your team weapons with the same element so they can element chain to boost Noctis's damage further to up your chances of killing Ifrit before paralyze even has a chance to wear off.

I'd give up my Y'shtola in an instant if it meant my off-banner Queen dupe could turn in to Greg or Noctis. At least you got a bunch of atk/hp materia for your units. :shobon:

I always have my chizuru try to paralyze first to free up noctis to start other stuff earlier, and have exdeath imperil. The others just do their best to buff noctis, although I only have defensive buffs currently.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd also give up my Ace and Emperor for a Cup Noctis.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Infected posted:

I'd also give up my Ace and Emperor for a Cup Noctis.

I would straight up give up every single unit I've rolled since this banner popped up for a gilgamesh or noctis.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Mile'ionaha posted:

I have him... but I'm not using him.
Cecil just has too much utility and huge defense values and can easily be decked out in Flame Mail and Flame Shield for Fire REsist.

I like him because he has an atk/mag boost to accompany Luka's defensive boost but yeah his lower def vakues make me think about swapping.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

I like him because he has an atk/mag boost to accompany Luka's defensive boost but yeah his lower def vakues make me think about swapping.

Yeah, Demon Rain is a semi-decent DPS if you've somehow pulled him and no one else good since Halloween. He was a decent tank when he first came out because I think we were still a couple weeks away from 6* Cecil at the time.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, that is kind of an abrupt block in the story. I've been relying on friends for boss battles, but ran into Veritas of the Heavens in Ambel, who you have to fight with no friends.. I'm honestly not sure what to do, I guess just grind levels? Running a party of Noctis, Cecil, Chizuru, Exdeath, and Refia, but the only one who I've awakened at all is exdeath up to 4*. Characters are in their mid 30s-40s, with the best equipment I can have at this point in the story without TMs. Am I just going to be spending a week grinding the beach for xp?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

37 pulls and all I've gotten is Luka and some Cecils and Zidanes . . . . my dreams are crumbling :negative:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
March on Ifrit. I get it. Very clever.

Oh, hey. Look who I drew:

Yesssssss'shtola

I should be able to get her to 6 before the end of the event. Heal problems: solved.

Looking at Minfilia, her limit break is pretty good. It's a slightly-to-somewhat less powerful Cecil's but also attacks for 3.2 ATK. Just need to get the limit crystals flowing, does Cloud of Darkness's TMR stack? What else could one potentially use?

Similar vein of question, does Minfilia's exclusive skill stack? Getting an 80% chance of a retaliatory heal isn't bad at all.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, that is kind of an abrupt block in the story. I've been relying on friends for boss battles, but ran into Veritas of the Heavens in Ambel, who you have to fight with no friends.. I'm honestly not sure what to do, I guess just grind levels? Running a party of Noctis, Cecil, Chizuru, Exdeath, and Refia, but the only one who I've awakened at all is exdeath up to 4*. Characters are in their mid 30s-40s, with the best equipment I can have at this point in the story without TMs. Am I just going to be spending a week grinding the beach for xp?

Explore Lanzelt Ruins again, there's something that will really, really help you with Veritas of the Heavens there.

Bring a magic key. Buy one for 100 Lapis from the shop if you have to. Make sure you bring it with you in your equipped Party items.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

March on Ifrit. I get it. Very clever.

Oh, hey. Look who I drew:

Yesssssss'shtola

I should be able to get her to 6 before the end of the event. Heal problems: solved.

Looking at Minfilia, her limit break is pretty good. It's a slightly-to-somewhat less powerful Cecil's but also attacks for 3.2 ATK. Just need to get the limit crystals flowing, does Cloud of Darkness's TMR stack? What else could one potentially use?

Similar vein of question, does Minfilia's exclusive skill stack? Getting an 80% chance of a retaliatory heal isn't bad at all.

Explore Lanzelt Ruins again, there's something that will really, really help you with Veritas of the Heavens there.

Bring a magic key. Buy one for 100 Lapis from the shop if you have to. Make sure you bring it with you in your equipped Party items.

My problem wasn't really so much in staying alive, since I assume you are taking about the baraerora recipe there. Until I got unlucky with some hits, and possibly a crit, against Refia I had no problems surviving for a long time, I was just doing such anemic damage to him that it would have taken like 20 minutes or more to deplete his health.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Okay, is there a way that I, as a filthy no-macro/no-TRM (except for Thancred's, of course) casual who's never drawn a 5★ base character in many months of playing this game, can reliably farm PRO Ifrit?

I've beaten him once, while getting lucky with a friend Noctis paralyzing him enough to allow me to do enough damage without him ever running away. ADV Ifrit dies reliably in one round, so I can farm him until the cows come home, but if there's a way to up my game on this one, I'd love to be able to.

The main team I generally use for clearing content at an adequate, if not awesome level, is:

• Exdeath, 6★, max level
  • Paladin Cecil, 6★, not maxed
  • Xiao, 6★, not maxed
  • Kefka, 5★, max level
  • Refia, 6★, not maxed

From what I can gather from reading Internet, at least some of these characters could make a good FTP A-team, though I imagine at some point I'll be trading out Xiao/Kefka? On the bench as possible worthwhile characters (who are at or can reach 6★, or are 5★ limited but maybe not total poo poo?), are: Leo (5★), Celes (5★), Firion (3★), Rain (3★), Bartz (3★), Cerius (3★), Cupid Artemios (4★), Agrias (4★), Seven (4★), Shine (5★), Nine (6★), Medius (6★), Minifilia (4★), Black Cat Lid (5★), Dick Bicycle (6★), Snow (4★), Ling (6★), Primm (4★), Cloud of Darkness (5★).

I'm guessing that the two people I want to sub in are Ling and CoD, especially if I can find some way to max out their levels? Whoever goes in, what strategy should I be using to deal with him, because I feel like I'm hitting a massive meat wall when I run up against him, and even when I survive his onslaught/keep healed up with Refia/Cecil, he ends up running his rear end away.

Equipment-wise, I have some good reward item swords from things, have crafted four Hero Rings, and have the Cupid items. Otherwise, I think I'm swimming in garbage items.

Is this possible, or am I a hopeless case, doomed to the land of ADV forever, barring great paralysis luck?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The lazy route would be to just hit up the friend spreadsheet on page 1 and have a buff SA goon carry you to victory (Olive, Noctis). I've been playing about a month and can reliably farm pro that way.

Also see this page:
http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Unit_Rankings#Numerical Ratings

TLDR; your best team is probably COD, buttzzzzzzzzzzzz, cecil, ling/minifila and exdeath I believe (not sure who Dick bicycle is?)

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 20, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Okay, is there a way that I, as a filthy no-macro/no-TRM (except for Thancred's, of course) casual who's never drawn a 5★ base character in many months of playing this game, can reliably farm PRO Ifrit?

I've beaten him once, while getting lucky with a friend Noctis paralyzing him enough to allow me to do enough damage without him ever running away. ADV Ifrit dies reliably in one round, so I can farm him until the cows come home, but if there's a way to up my game on this one, I'd love to be able to.

The main team I generally use for clearing content at an adequate, if not awesome level, is:

• Exdeath, 6★, max level
  • Paladin Cecil, 6★, not maxed
  • Xiao, 6★, not maxed
  • Kefka, 5★, max level
  • Refia, 6★, not maxed

From what I can gather from reading Internet, at least some of these characters could make a good FTP A-team, though I imagine at some point I'll be trading out Xiao/Kefka? On the bench as possible worthwhile characters (who are at or can reach 6★, or are 5★ limited but maybe not total poo poo?), are: Leo (5★), Celes (5★), Firion (3★), Rain (3★), Bartz (3★), Cerius (3★), Cupid Artemios (4★), Agrias (4★), Seven (4★), Shine (5★), Nine (6★), Medius (6★), Minifilia (4★), Black Cat Lid (5★), Dick Bicycle (6★), Snow (4★), Ling (6★), Primm (4★), Cloud of Darkness (5★).

I'm guessing that the two people I want to sub in are Ling and CoD, especially if I can find some way to max out their levels? Whoever goes in, what strategy should I be using to deal with him, because I feel like I'm hitting a massive meat wall when I run up against him, and even when I survive his onslaught/keep healed up with Refia/Cecil, he ends up running his rear end away.

Equipment-wise, I have some good reward item swords from things, have crafted four Hero Rings, and have the Cupid items. Otherwise, I think I'm swimming in garbage items.

Is this possible, or am I a hopeless case, doomed to the land of ADV forever, barring great paralysis luck?

If you have a 800+ Noct for a friend have him fire flask first turn for a guaranteed paralyze. If you have any other buffs/debuffs apply them that turn. The next couple turns have Noct do warp break as part of a combo with your other people physically attacking. He may get unparalyzed once, but unless you are phenomenally unlucky Noct will survive, so just fire flask again and then just continue warp breaking till he dies.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Dick Bicycle is code for "Dangerous Ariana" Grande.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lmao wtf, how did that ever even end up being a thing in a FF game (even if it is mobile)

The darkest timeline is upon us:

http://imgur.com/a/6j9jC

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yshtola's gear is drat near TM territory but oh boy 3 days of crafting.
Although I'm actually starting to worry about materials since after a couple 50 pulls I'm still missing a bunch.

Edit: Looking at the unique accessories though, it seems none are worth it since they're all outclassed by Hero Rings or Hero Ring upgrades. And Thancred's stuff is obviously not worth it unless you're a beginner and have to use him. So really there's only 4 things at most to forge here, Yshtola and Minfilia's weapons and armor.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread