Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tatoooine is a giant blindspot for Vader and there's the part of Jedi where Palpatine doesn't realize Luke is on the forest moon.

Background Luke bothered me more than the brief fight and focus on Ezra. Show the moisture farm, look up to the suns, and fade to black. Everyone knows what's in that house.

I'm pretty sure Palpatine realized Luke would end up on the Moon at some point since he was keeping Vader nearby anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just saw the episode with them sneaking through the nebula. Goddamn if the shot of those Star Destroyers cooking wasn't gorgeous as hell :allears:.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
You know, I keep going back to Twins Suns, and I find more new things to mention. For those who may have just watched it once, I think it's defiantively a layered, need to rewatch if multiple times to get the full intent of the story behind it. But now let's talk about why Kenobi repeatedly saying to Ezra that. "Your destiny is not here Ezra, your destiny and your future lies with your friends and the Rebellkon. This wasn't Kenobi pulling a certain point of a view in any shape or form. He was actively trying to make Ezra understand that his purpose lies with the Rebels, and that he need to let go this obsession to destroy the Sith. It's a very different Kenobi in my opinion, because it's obvious right from start that Kenobi KNOWS something more about Ezra's future then he's not telling. Maybe Yoda gave him a call, or the Force gave him an update. Who knows. Either way, the fact that he refused to allow Ezra to help fight Maul, that he told Ezra he needed to.go "back home." It's clear that if you read between the lines Kenobi wasn't willing to risk Maul killing Ezra in a three way fight like that, not just because Ezra is obiviously a good person, but because Kenobi knows the score on Ezra. He all but says that Maul's action by luring Ezra here have started to screw up whatever divine plan the Force has for him. But he's not hiding the facts behind his usual bullshit. He's telling Ezra the truth Ezra couldn't accept, that he can't help to destroy the Sith. But Ezra has finally gone home. And Maul won't be able to pull back into the dark anymore. But it still makes curious. What will be Ezra's ultimate purpose in the galaxy. Because whatever it is, Kenobi is being as quiet about it as he is about Luke.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This is going to be your college dissertation, isn't it? Or like that website setup with a full breakdown of the West Wing episode 17 People, maps of the building and all.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This is going to be your college dissertation, isn't it? Or like that website setup with a full breakdown of the West Wing episode 17 People, maps of the building and all.

Wait, what? Why would they do that? I remember that episode, it was good but nothing special.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Tatoooine is a giant blindspot for Vader and there's the part of Jedi where Palpatine doesn't realize Luke is on the forest moon.

Background Luke bothered me more than the brief fight and focus on Ezra. Show the moisture farm, look up to the suns, and fade to black. Everyone knows what's in that house.

Palp knows it. He's just playing a great many things close to the chest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Moon Slayer posted:

Wait, what? Why would they do that? I remember that episode, it was good but nothing special.

No idea. I think he just wanted to write a "thing", so he picked this. It's actually rather interesting, if odd in concept.

http://seventeenpeople.com

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dave actually talked about that in an interview.

quote:

Filoni explained his decision to show Luke Skywalker wasn’t just for long-time Star Wars fans, but primarily for the new ones:

“We have to look at every episode of Rebels as if you’ve never seen Star Wars before. So if you think of it that way whenever Maul and Obi-Wan are talking about ‘The Chosen One’ or ‘Who are you protecting?’ if you never see or we don’t give the context of that, there are a lot of people who won’t know whats going on there. The Star Wars fan will but the average person will not. So at the very least the scene establishes, in its simplest form, there’s Obi-Wan, he was protecting someone, and there’s a woman yelling ‘Luke,’ and we see what we think of as a young boy running. ‘Oh, so Obi-Wan is protecting a boy named Luke.’ It’s designed to give you that specific bit of information that you need in the story.

Now, if you’re a fan and you go ‘OH MY GOD that’s Luke Skywalker, that’s even better. Now you’re getting the whole thing... But from a sensible story point you have to have that scene at the end to give some idea of what this old man is doing in the desert. You can’t rely on the Star Wars films as if they’ve been universally watched even though we know they’re pretty popular.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you're okay with everybody taking a one episode detour to Tatooine for a big showdown with old man Maul, I don't really see why a stick figure Luke seen from 2 miles away is what tips it into indulgence.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to chime in and say I loved the Twin Suns duel the first go round but after watching Rebels Recon and seeing they put Obi-Wan doing Qui-Gon's stance and Maul again attempting to do his fatal move and getting owned for it was just an amazing thing. I love the attention to detail they're putting out there, even if only a fraction of the viewership gets it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think that's what I really love about this show. They do a pretty great job of making a show for newer fans while peppering in the stuff for die-hard, long-time, overly analytical mega-nerds like me/us.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

He's asking if Obi-Wan is protecting the Chosen One, the one who will bring balance ot the force (and thus destroy his former master who ruined his and Obi-wan's lives and by doing so, avenge them).

Luke is the Chosen One, at least from Obi-Wan's current Certain Point of View. Anakin was a failure, lost to darkness, obviously not the chosen one, but his kid, now that has got possibility!

I realize Obi-Wan may believe this, but Vader did bring balance to the Force.

Prior to him falling, there were a whole lot of Jedi, but only two Sith. Afterwards, there are only ever 2 of either until the end of ROTJ.

But, even if "balance" is intended to mean "get rid of the darkness", it's Anakin who comes back from the darkness and kills Palpatine. Luke was just a catalyst.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonial Air Force posted:

I realize Obi-Wan may believe this, but Vader did bring balance to the Force.

Prior to him falling, there were a whole lot of Jedi, but only two Sith. Afterwards, there are only ever 2 of either until the end of ROTJ.

But, even if "balance" is intended to mean "get rid of the darkness", it's Anakin who comes back from the darkness and kills Palpatine. Luke was just a catalyst.

Luke was the reason. Vader was the means. Because of Luke, balance was brought to the Force.

It works either way, really, because obviously without Vader there's no balance either. It's just that, Vader, in a galaxy where Luke and Leia died along with Padme, does jack poo poo about bringing balance. Luke is the key.

e: Oh, and officially, yes, balance is not a numbers game, because Jedi (are supposed to) represent balance, and the Sith represent chaos and darkness.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
After all the acrobatic helicopter lightsaber fights (which, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy), it was real drat refreshing to see an honest-to-god classic samurai cinema duel that's over in two moves.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

After all the acrobatic helicopter lightsaber fights (which, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy), it was real drat refreshing to see an honest-to-god classic samurai cinema duel that's over in two moves.

Yup, just came to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNaj5YUxco

The reaction shots are the fans

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a goddamn perfect ending to that rivalry. Anyone who hates it - anyone - is wrong.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first time I enjoy a lightsaber duel again ever since I watched the OT. I honestly didn't think it was possible anymore.

To think this show of all places would get the "copy kurosawa, not star wars" point of lightsaber duels.

Thwomp posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say I loved the Twin Suns duel the first go round but after watching Rebels Recon and seeing they put Obi-Wan doing Qui-Gon's stance and Maul again attempting to do his fatal move and getting owned for it was just an amazing thing. I love the attention to detail they're putting out there, even if only a fraction of the viewership gets it.

I always thought Obi-Wan was the most effective character of the series in general and I was glad to see it preserved in their duel. Not smartest, not strongest, just the most effective. In the books there is a huge emphasis on the fact that Obi-Wan just lets the Force control him most of the time. It's like the only one that realizes that the Force is a huge plot armor and there's no reason to let your ego get in the way.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
That ending got the key to the best action sequences; it's not enough to just have flashy spectacle, you need to tell a STORY with the fight. The echo of Qui-Gon's fight with Maul with a very different ending just says so drat much about both characters. One so stuck in the past he mindlessly copies what he did in his long ago prime (so sure he hadn't changed or needed to change), the other who let go of the past able to avoid repeating it. The fight tells so much about the two characters; of COURSE Maul gets his rear end kicked, he's in a wildly different mental place than Kenobi, who serenely destroys him with a series of blows that look practically like a simple kata while Maul is flailing around like the younger vicious thug he no longer is. Also, for not having Alec Guiness, they did a spooky good job channeling ANH Obi-Wan into this episode. Honestly the show's been surprising me with how well it's done the job of linking characters like Tarkin, Vader, and now Kenobi with the new stuff while still respecting the original portrayals. I can look at them and say "yes, if you dropped that OT character in this situation this feels like how they should react".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I think that's what I really love about this show. They do a pretty great job of making a show for newer fans while peppering in the stuff for die-hard, long-time, overly analytical mega-nerds like me/us.

I loved the fact that Obi-Wan talked about "old wounds".
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Wounds

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So what's everybody's favorite episode of Rebels that doesn't heavily feature a member of the OT cast or a Clone Wars character?

I think the Zeb/Kallus bottle episode is pretty good, other than that I'm drawing a blank

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 20, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

General Dog posted:

So what's everybody's favorite episode of Rebels that doesn't heavily feature a member of the OT cast or a Clone Wars character?

I think the Zeb/Kallus bottle episode is pretty good, other than that I'm drawing a blank

That's kinda tough, since many eps are filled with OT or CW characters.

I tend to enjoy all the episodes. From my certain point of view, nearly all of them are entertaining and well put together.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

General Dog posted:

The dialogue immediately after that is apropos as well.

"That was badassss!"
"Shut up nerds!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

General Dog posted:

If they ever make that Obi-Wan film, I hope it's just two hours of Ewan Mcgregor channeling the ghosts of Toshiro Mifune and Shintaro Katsu while trying to drink in peace at the cantina.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Standout episodes focusing on characters created for Rebels include Rise of the Old Masters, Fire Across the Galaxy, Legends of the Lasat.

The longer I sit with Twin Suns, the more I like it, and not just for the samurai duel (side note: the fact that almost everybody here appreciates the duel makes me like this thread even more). Filoni is an outstanding director and he even makes the boilerplate "ship arriving at a planet" scenes look great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DancinBrud posted:

Standout episodes focusing on characters created for Rebels include Rise of the Old Masters, Fire Across the Galaxy, Legends of the Lasat.

The longer I sit with Twin Suns, the more I like it, and not just for the samurai duel (side note: the fact that almost everybody here appreciates the duel makes me like this thread even more). Filoni is an outstanding director and he even makes the boilerplate "ship arriving at a planet" scenes look great.

I particularly like that Phoenix Squadron now owns a Sith Infiltrator.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

mllaneza posted:

I particularly like that Phoenix Squadron now owns a Sith Infiltrator.

Trap sprung and all, but that's not the infiltrator we saw in Ep I. That's a modified Kom'rk fighter.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I think it's a Mandalorian fighter, dating back to Maul's time running Deathwatch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, Maul is, essentially, a well-spoken thug who failed at everything he tried then died in the middle of nowhere with only his rival, who had far surpassed him in every category, to comfort him in his final moments?

drat, Filoni, his writing staff, and Sam Witwer did an amazing job turning Darth Maul from a villain with only two lines into one of my favorite EU villains of nucanon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, if someone had told me in 1999 that two cartoon series would make Darth loving Maul a compelling character I'd have laughed in their face.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

To be fair, he did create a vast criminal syndicate on a whim one day before lunch. It's just that his old boss couldn't stand to see him succeed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DancinBrud posted:

To be fair, he did create a vast criminal syndicate on a whim one day before lunch. It's just that his old boss couldn't stand to see him succeed.

Getting crushed by a competitor is a form of failing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Covok posted:

So, Maul is, essentially, a well-spoken thug who failed at everything he tried then died in the middle of nowhere with only his rival, who had far surpassed him in every category, to comfort him in his final moments?

That's the sick joke that is Maul and the punchline was this episode. He let the Dathomir witches do existentially terrifying things to him, then became a sith-lord's apprentice, then stapled on a new pair of legs after getting cut in half, then took over a crime syndicate, then took over Mandalore and then finally dedicated the rest of his life to a meaningless quest for vengeance against people who barely remembered him because he wanted his life to matter.

But that's just it, he never mattered. He was Obi Wan's tutorial level boss and he never rose above that station at any point in his life. His failure to recognize that is why he died alone in a desert after a fight that lasted less than five seconds.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Kinda poetic how the pursuit and usage of the Dark Side proclaims to "break your chains," and yet you become a slave to the constant thirst for power, revenge, hate, fear, etc.

Pottery.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Needed a bit where Obi-Wan goes back to his hut and puts Maul's lightsaber in his toolbox alongside Anakin's.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is one of Maul's crystals one that Luke picked up from Obi Wan's hut for him to make his green lightsaber? :v:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I liked Clone Wars Obi-Wan but the chilled out Zen master OT Kenobi is far superior and they loving nailed it. That duel really is perfect.

I dunno if Maul is necessarily redeemed but it certainly looked like he managed to let go of his hate at the end. He's still viewing the prophecy of the chosen one through a lens of vengeance but it's not only for him anymore.

Edit: Does Maul get to be one with the force or is he stuck in the dark sider disembodied twilight hell that the Sith are so scared of?

bij fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 20, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

He let the Dathomir witches do existentially terrifying things to him
"Let"? The boy was born a slave (that's what the colorful skin of the Nightbrothers represents), he didn't "let" them do anything, he didn't have a choice.

Covok posted:

drat, Filoni, his writing staff, and Sam Witwer did an amazing job turning Darth Maul from a villain with only two lines into one of my favorite EU villains of nucanon.
I think Maul has been the best opportunity the "moving pictures" side of SW to explore that idea that all people who follows the Dark Side are pitiful, weak cowards, because there is no way they can explore that with Vader and Sidious, they're too iconic as figures of power.

Potential BFF posted:

Edit: Does Maul get to be one with the force or is he stuck in the dark sider disembodied twilight hell that the Sith are so scared of?
I think they said that at this point, Maul wasn't afraid to die. Unlike most Sith who dreams of eternal life, he actually got to experience surviving a blow that should have been fatal and he didn't enjoy the experience very much. Not to mention that what fuels his hatred is pain and fear, so I think he was ready to go at this point.

But in an interview I think Filoni mentioned that part of Obi-Wan's sadness at the end is that Maul's final words, although filled with hope, also showed that Maul never managed to outgrow his suffering and would die with it, so I'm not sure what it means for where he ends up.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is one of Maul's crystals one that Luke picked up from Obi Wan's hut for him to make his green lightsaber? :v:

Sith create their saber crystals by meditating (while in a furnace) all of their rage into a physical manifestation that they shape into a crystal. At least, that's how Maul explains it in Shadow Hunter which was a prequel book that takes place a few days before Episode1. It took him a few days to create his crystals.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Covok posted:

Yeah, I was perfectly fine with him being dead in Episode 1. I thought it was dumb to bring him back in some comic I didn't read. I also didn't think they needed have him in Clone Wars, but it wasn't terrible and I eventually accepted it. I wasn't the biggest fan of the show, but I recognized that it was mostly a good show and the people making it really cared about what they were doing. In Rebels I absolutely loved his character from the beginning. They did an amazing job developing one of the most two dimensional characters and turning him into someone I felt sorry for in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SyRauk posted:

Sith create their saber crystals by meditating (while in a furnace) all of their rage into a physical manifestation that they shape into a crystal. At least, that's how Maul explains it in Shadow Hunter which was a prequel book that takes place a few days before Episode1. It took him a few days to create his crystals.

Is this canon? Because haha.

• Locked thread