Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ashcans posted:

Off the top of my head, the Warp Spiders are still the first sculpts of those models I bought in the mid 90s. They're in finecast now, though. Also true for the Phoenix Lords and a number of the warlock/seer models. We had the same jet bikes from the early 90s until the latest release, and they tripled in price over that time.

Outside Eldar, the buggy and wartrakk ork models are the same ones circa Gorkamorka in 1997, and basically the entire IG line is old - I think catachans were one of the first multiparty plastic sets - all the special squads (valhallans, etc) are the original sculpts. I'm not sure if their tanks ever got a review, although they are pretty decent.

The ork buggy predates Gorkamorka I believe, so it's even older than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ashcans posted:

I believe you, but thats probably also true for even GW's newest tank kits :v: What I mean is that while the Russ and the Falcon are fairly old kits, they are comparable to the more modern kits in quality and appearance, so it's more tolerable they haven't been updated. They're ALL in a bad place compared to historicals.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure the Dragon 1:35 KT kit is a ~2005 repackaging with extra parts of a kit that is older than the leman Russ.

Though my opinion is that Russ kit is a dog. Ignoring the comparisons it's just a boxy turd with weak/non existent details and poor customization.

quote:

This is compared to, say, Warp Spiders which are single piece monopose figures which you have to repeat even in a 5 man squad, or the ork buggies which have really lumpy looking crew.

Oh yeah the warp spiders have moved past laughable into criminal

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

spectralent posted:

Does anyone make mod packs for Good 28mm scale historical tanks to sci-fi them up a bit? Because most sci fi tanks are kinda poo poo, I tend to find. I know dreamforge (IIRC?) do a pack for the hanomag.

Warlord Games kinda do that for their Konflict 47 range. Stuff like https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/konflikt-47/products/m4a9-t-sherman-with-tesla-cannon are their regular 28mm tanks with sci fi zappy turrets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, sadly I don't really like their pulp-history thing.

Sci fi stuff is always a bind because most sci fi tanks look either horribly retro or "a modern tank but the searchlights are in a different place".

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

spectralent posted:

Yeah, sadly I don't really like their pulp-history thing.

Sci fi stuff is always a bind because most sci fi tanks look either horribly retro or "a modern tank but the searchlights are in a different place".

https://www.zinge.co.uk/ makes the sort of stuff you're looking for

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Oooh, sweet! Thanks.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashcans posted:

I believe you, but thats probably also true for even GW's newest tank kits :v: What I mean is that while the Russ and the Falcon are fairly old kits, they are comparable to the more modern kits in quality and appearance, so it's more tolerable they haven't been updated. They're ALL in a bad place compared to historicals.

This is compared to, say, Warp Spiders which are single piece monopose figures which you have to repeat even in a 5 man squad, or the ork buggies which have really lumpy looking crew.

The Russ actually was updated just a few years ago, it's just that they kept the same look for the most part.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks from me too.
This may be handy down the line.

E:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/shadow-war-armageddon-promo-cards.html

Pricing apparently confirmed by BoLS as being $130.
Looks like the characters will replace the hired guns from NM.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 19, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

mcjomar posted:

Pricing apparently confirmed by BoLS as being $130.

Welp, ain't gonna touch that with a ten-foot pole. Will wait for what Forgeworld is apparently cooking up.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Russ actually was updated just a few years ago, it's just that they kept the same look for the most part.

They updated the russ to be easier to put together! They also updated it to remove most of the customization pieces. Same with the Chimera. Not exactly a welcome upgrade.

The new ork codex could be subtitled "25 point twin-linked missile buggies" so the fact that they didn't release a new kit for them is pretty stupid.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 19, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

mcjomar posted:

E: why does the "new" land raider cost so much? Isn't it literally the same kit?

it costs exactly the same as all the other imperial land raiders though?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

it costs exactly the same as all the other imperial land raiders though?

In which case holy poo poo at the GW price hikes.
I've not bought one of those things in years so if they now coat that much then holy gently caress that's expensive as all hell. GW can get hosed with their pricing. I mean I know I shouldn't be surprised but it's worse than I thought.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah Land Raiders have been like $72 for a while now, it's ridiculous. I remember when they were $45 and that seemed kinda steep at the time.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
:wth: They're not even good models.

I mean even setting aside the strict "realism" stuff like how they're a backwards WWI tank, the interior frankly sucks. There's not even anywhere for the crew to go! At least the Rhino has a little divider in the interior for where you a driver could hide. Which is what I did on my perpetually-unfinished Techmarine Razorback:

I started painting it but then realized I didn't like tabletop games (and then it took another several years to realize I just didn't like GW tabletop games).

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 19, 2017

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

:wth: They're not even good models.

I mean even setting aside the strict "realism" stuff like how they're a backwards WWI tank, the interior frankly sucks. There's not even anywhere for the crew to go! At least the Rhino has a little divider in the interior for where you a driver could hide. Which is what I did on my perpetually-unfinished Techmarine Razorback:

I started painting it but then realized I didn't like tabletop games (and then it took another several years to realize I just didn't like GW tabletop games).

I can't believe I'm actually doing this but:

Those two hatches on the top of the land raider.
One is for the gunner, who also controls some/all of the weapons.
The second one further forward is actually the commander's cupola.
He drives.
Land raiders apparently only need two crew :psyduck:
And the crew section of the Land Raider is using TARDIS phsyics.

And the only reason I know this is because I think it got brought up last death thread.

I mean, it's still dumb as all hell, the design is quite lovely, and learns nothing from actual tanks (also a discussion from last death thread), but it does have some kind of explanation.
I mean, the explanation is also dumb as all hell, but it has one :smith:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AFAIK they are also capable of being controlled completely independently via their machine spirit. Hell, there's a story about a Crimson Fists LR that goes apeshit and drives through an ocean to go kill more orks

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

mcjomar posted:

I mean, it's still dumb as all hell, the design is quite lovely, and learns nothing from actual tanks (also a discussion from last death thread), but it does have some kind of explanation.
I mean, the explanation is also dumb as all hell, but it has one :smith:

No I mean I get that, but the stuff in that cutaway isn't in the model. There's no little chair for the driver or anything. I guess they just expect you to get a boost up to the hatch from one of your Space Marine buddies cuz there's no way to use them otherwise.

If you're gonna do vehicle interiors you gotta actually do all the visible parts, not just a handful.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The only way any of the 40k vehicles work is if you accept they're on a different scale to the infantry and should be at least a good 20-30% bigger, which gives enough room for the crew and their transport capacity.

I mean look at the Ork Trukk. There's no way that thing can hold 12 Boyz at that size (even assuming some hang onto the outside).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I always interpreted them as being the right scale for the height of the infantry, but that infantry figures are way too fat thanks to "heroic scale".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Land raiders only needing two crew is ok because they have so many automated systems, they basically skirt the Imperiums 'no AI' laws. Everything else about their design and stuff is pretty bad.

A lot of the designs are 'ok' in the original 40k aesthetic of kind of cartoony, goofy stuff. Like the Leman Russ looks like a bad prop tank, but it's alright because so much stuff is plain silly or deliberately hammed up. As the setting has taken itself more and more seriously and gotten grittier, it's still kept many of those looks and they fare even worse.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have finally written the bad thread off for dead, I believe this a good and sound decision.
Using the handicapped as a punching bag is not okay, holy poo poo.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

I have finally written the bad thread off for dead, I believe this a good and sound decision.

Which thread is the bad thread now?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was told it was the 40k thread.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Ashcans posted:

there is no way warp spiders are going to survive the 40k end times

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Irate Tree posted:

Maybe I'm just skimming to much but what are you talking about in the bad thread?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Irate Tree posted:

I don't feel like sifting through their posts. What's the deal there?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

Which thread is the bad thread now?

This is the death thread, 40k is the bad thread, whfb is the sad thread, gbs is the scrunt thread

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm probably over stating but it's just the constant use of autistic as an insult that gets to me. I mean, i get it, it's this generation's retard. It wasn't valid then and it isn't valid now.
You have a language with more non-flattering descriptors than any other and you choose to beat on the mentally handicapped or disabled to make an insult? It's disgusting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

40k thread = bad thread
whfb thread = sad thread
this thread = mad thread
30k thread = fad thread
aos thread = bh'adde thread
historicals thread = dad thread

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BYOB thread: the good thread

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The AoS thread can be fun now since they treat the game with exactly as much reverence as it deserves.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

aos thread = rad thread

please be more respectful of my thread son

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The AoS thread is ghoode, actually.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xarbala posted:

The AoS thread is ghoode, actually.

ghoode thread bad game

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

I'm probably over stating but it's just the constant use of autistic as an insult that gets to me. I mean, i get it, it's this generation's retard. It wasn't valid then and it isn't valid now.
You have a language with more non-flattering descriptors than any other and you choose to beat on the mentally handicapped or disabled to make an insult? It's disgusting.

A goddamn men.

I have been accused of being autism - as an insult - for a variety of reasons mostly relating to attention to detail or adherence to principals. These are not symptoms of autism, and if they were, that would not be cause for insult.

But much worse, using "autistic" to describe anyone on the basis that you think they're mentally dysfunctional is insulting and denigrating to people who are actually on the spectrum. Granted low-functioning autistic people likely aren't reading threads on SA, but there are high-functioning people with autism who might be, and there are a lot more of us who have friends or family members with autism.

And more broadly yet, the general use of clinical terms that describe various developmental disabilities, mental illnesses, and... well, anything that anyone might get as a diagnosis from a doctor, as terms of ridicule or insult is sickening.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I dunno I always figured it as a sort of self-conscious thing since I only ever see people use it in areas where it's generally assumed (rightly or not) that everyone involved is on the spectrum, such as computer programming or tabletop gaming. Like calling someone a big loving nerd for knowing slightly more than you about Star Wars. :shrug:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's self deprecation, guys!

loving kill me now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I basically gave up on autism. It's going to be like retardation or special needs and slip out of the medical lingo because it's used solely by assholes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

spectralent posted:

I basically gave up on autism. It's going to be like retardation or special needs and slip out of the medical lingo because it's used solely by assholes.

It's an ongoing problem--those states will always be considered undesirable, so each time you give them a new label, that same label will be adopted by society at large as a pejorative.

e: still worth fighting, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Can we talk about RPGs and stuff in this thread too? I know we go off on tangents about game design a lot and I think there's fertile ground in discussing RPGs. Anyway, I got into a stupid Facebook discussion about DnD editions and everything positive I had to say about 4e was met with the response that 5e did the same things but better. Not having any experience with 5e, I couldn't really say. So to fill in my own knowledge gaps, I looked through the 5e PHB and what I saw didn't impress me.

What exactly is different between 5e and 3e? I'm sure there are numerous differences, but surface level they look identical to me except that they carried over Dragonborn into the PHB and Fighter's can now choose a skin at a certain level. Is there anything at all resembling the tactical combat and defined combat roles of 4e? Outside of a particular Fighter skin's alternative actions, is the Fighter just swinging his sword most of the time? Is casting basically how it was back in 3e for every class?

• Locked thread