Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Moments of levity and comic relief can work great in a long and serious story. But if that main story is filled with gems like "My face is tired" then it's not so much comic relief as much as the whole thing is a farce

Thing is, Bioware games have always had that stuff so it's perplexing why this is somehow news. Minsc's "comic relief" was a lot more cringeworthy than that scene, by a lot.

But also, it's its own form of cringeworthy when people post things like that and say "obviously this was written by some old dudes trying to sound hip" because it outs the person saying that as someone who doesn't dare venture into daylight. Sara Ryder is supposed to be an awkward, nerdy 22 year old. That scene, I think, does as good a job capturing that as any of the similar scenes in something like Night in the Woods.

I theorize that some people have forgotten ME has always been full of goofy poo poo. I mean come on, Blasto was a terrible joke and they ran that straight through the ground and into Australia's upper atmosphere.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn was VERY radio-silent, and what little we got was not a good way to show off the game to put it lightly. Mass Effect Andromeda has had a shitload shown off and all of it has been the same low-quality writing.

I question your definition of "a shitload", especially if you're limiting it to stuff that they have directly put out rather than memes people have started up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

Thing is, Bioware games have always had that stuff so it's perplexing why this is somehow news. Minsc's "comic relief" was a lot more cringeworthy than that scene, by a lot.

But also, it's its own form of cringeworthy when people post things like that and say "obviously this was written by some old dudes trying to sound hip" because it outs the person saying that as someone who doesn't dare venture into daylight. Sara Ryder is supposed to be an awkward, nerdy 22 year old. That scene, I think, does as good a job capturing that as any of the similar scenes in something like Night in the Woods.

I theorize that some people have forgotten ME has always been full of goofy poo poo. I mean come on, Blasto was a terrible joke and they ran that straight through the ground and into Australia's upper atmosphere.

The general difference is the world was generally grounded with those things standing out as oddities in the background. Here it just pervades everything hamfistedly because someone thought more was better without a shred of context. Blasto was a movie series in the ME trilogy, in Andromeda it'd be played straight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Do you know what page it's on? Thread is 600pgs long.

Lol how is a thread for a game that is not even out yet that big?

I didn't even realize you were referring to something on SA and just linked that thread as a joke. god drat that poster was terrible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think a lot of this is just from being a sequel to a game that will live in infamy.

At this rate though it's looking like the next ME game, if there is one, will have the same problem.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

That whole segment is one of the hilarious and crazy parts of the game, though.

You probably will hate Route B, warning you now. Then again I'm not sure what you even like or if you're just one of those goons people that is never satisfied and always complains through everything, since you have been complaining non-stop in this and the Nier thread, but you're still playing...

A big part of it is that I just came from playing Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn. Nioh has much more engaging action, and Horizon has a much more engaging open world. Both games have much better interfaces and cameras.

I definitely like what the expected gameplay experience of Nier is, but I keep getting stuck on things that seem obtuse and I feel like the game is wasting a lot of my time just running around a boring and ugly environment. The last two games I played were very tight, streamlined experiences, and Nier reminds me of an mmo.

Here's an example of an annoying thing: The fast travel menu is completely seperate from the regular map view. So if I go to a fast travel point and open it, then realize I can't see the quest marker on that view, and I can't scroll the map in that menu, I have to back out of that menu, open the main menu, fine the quest marker (manually, of course), find the nearest fast travel point, make a mental note​ of the name of it, back out of the menu, open the fast travel point again, and scroll to that fast travel point.

It's 2017. Fast travel has been a feature of many, many games over the last decade. Some implementations are better than others. But designers tend to learn from observation the pros and cons of various implementations. This is one of the worst fasttravel implementations I've ever encountered. And its not like regular travel is fun either. They made an open-world game where moving around the world sucks and is a chore.

The actual action gameplay is fun, the music is great, and the setting/story seems pretty good. But I'm not just gonna overlook the giant downside present in the game's design.

Edit: And yes, that segment was really good in terms of writing and story.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 20, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The general difference is the world was generally grounded with those things standing out as oddities in the background. Here it just pervades everything hamfistedly because someone thought more was better without a shred of context. Blasto was a movie series in the ME trilogy, in Andromeda it'd be played straight.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware you had played through the entire game. It's sad to know that the whole game is full of dialogue like that.

Except wait, no, it's not, because I just did some skipping around some not-too-spoiler scenes (some loyalty missions, other stuff) on YouTube and basically everything I saw was "same as it ever was", not a big step forward for ME but not a step back either.

e: and the combat looks unquestionably the best of the series by a lot.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless you are playing on hard there isn't anything that can one shot you unless you are taking on a side quest that is double your level.

The conveyor belt smashers one shot you regardless of difficulty or level. It's kind of weird since the 2D platforming isn't that tight and everything else related to it (Falling, mostly) is barely punishing at all even on hard.

But yeah, they are super slow and the only time I ever got mashed was when I briefly got confused about which character was me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bugblatter posted:

The conveyor belt smashers one shot you regardless of difficulty or level. It's kind of weird since the 2D platforming isn't that tight and everything else related to it (Falling, mostly) is barely punishing at all even on hard.

But yeah, they are super slow and the only time I ever got mashed was when I briefly got confused about which character was me.
I got through that without being crushed but I was pretty sure it was one-shot when I saw literally ten android corpses stacked directly on top of each other at the beginning of it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Montalvo posted:

also she's scottish, not irish

I think it's funny when every alien and most humans sound like they're from west coast America but then a few humans have regional accents somehow

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, that's that second time I've had to run all the way through the factory and back again for a sidequest. I still don't know what "multiple playthroughs" means but if it means having to do that a bunch more times then welp

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, that's that second time I've had to run all the way through the factory and back again for a sidequest. I still don't know what "multiple playthroughs" means but if it means having to do that a bunch more times then welp

It's worth noting that there are a couple of shortcuts in the factory. I'm sure how useful the actually are. But they exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn was VERY radio-silent, and what little we got was not a good way to show off the game to put it lightly. Mass Effect Andromeda has had a shitload shown off and all of it has been the same low-quality writing.

That's not true at all, though. Horizon had multiple 20-minute gameplay videos and the E3 reveal in 2015 was one of the best ever. I mean look at this poo poo. There was tons of in-game preview content for Horizon if you looked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5UVTsKCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIoUcVnlgN0&t=14s

Andromeda by comparison had no gameplay previews that were more than a couple minutes long until February of this year. Its E3 coverage was buried underneath such high profile announcements as EA's new indie developer toolkit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I read some reviews of ME:A and they are not so great. I guess combat is really good but hardly anything else is. I wish they would just sell the multiplayer mode by itself or even make it f2p.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Polygon review of Andromeda sounds about exactly what I expected: A 7.5 that has a lot of charm despite itself. That's every ME game in a sentence right there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Instant Grat posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

https://twitter.com/_get2sammyb/status/843608109297913857

Grade-A millennial dialogue. Humor without wit. Sex without appeal. Game without play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there no guy Shepherd in ME:A?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not Shepard but you can still play as a white male and bang blue alien chicks, which was very important and went in the trailer I watched.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

There is, but everyone is focusing on the female one because people are focusing on the bad facial animations on her which she got the worst of and wondering why she's not as pretty as the model she was based on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never got why game journos always seemed like they wanted a pat on the back for playing as the female Shepherd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of which, you know what game really nails tone and character? Nier: Automata.

For all the gameplay complaints, it does a great job of creating a mood and manipulating it. Even if a sidequest seems generic gameplay-wise, sometimes I'll turn one in and a character will say a few sparse lines, koan-like, the perfect song will come on, and I'll just sit there thinking for a while

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FemShep was voiced by Jennifer Hale who is great so anyone who played FemShep deserves a pat on the back for making a good choice.

I played DudeShep made to look like me all the way through and didn't even know I was missing out on the better VA :smith:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 20, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For a Platinum game, there is something incredibly chill about playing Nier. Then again I'm playing on Normal and haven't got too far, but I just really dig the whole "wandering gothic lolita Zatoichi" vibe.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Whoever suggested Momodora, I appreciate it. I finished it off over 4 hours today and really enjoyed it as a soft metroidvania with some souls-ish design cues, creepy music, and charming character design. The boss you fight by hitting her constantly in the boobs with your magic priestess leaf was made laugh a bit.

Easy to recommend at $10 now or the $5 it will inevitably be sold at sale for.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Evil Canadian posted:

That scene is meant to be intentionally awkward and it succeeds its a good and funny scene :)

Is it meant to look like garbage and that the MC can't turn her head and had to look at Science lady strictly out of the corners of her eyes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RockPaperShotgun just posted their review of ME:A

Sounds pretty bad

I know they're PC guys but I trust their reviewers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've used fast travel all of like 5 times in my all ending playthrough of Nier:A.

Just hop on a moose or boar

Also music is too good to skip areas to hear transitions between songs.

gently caress it imma load it up now and penis around Tokyo York

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RockPaperShotgun just posted their review of ME:A

Sounds pretty bad

I know they're PC guys but I trust their reviewers.

Isn't the game also on PC?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

credburn posted:

Isn't the game also on PC?

It is, yes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I was going to say, then what does it matter if the reviewers are PC focused...but I guess when I think about it, even if games are released multi-platform they tend to be a different experience on PC. So, nevermind, I guess.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Snak posted:

A big part of it is that I just came from playing Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn. Nioh has much more engaging action, and Horizon has a much more engaging open world. Both games have much better interfaces and cameras.

I definitely like what the expected gameplay experience of Nier is, but I keep getting stuck on things that seem obtuse and I feel like the game is wasting a lot of my time just running around a boring and ugly environment. The last two games I played were very tight, streamlined experiences, and Nier reminds me of an mmo.

Here's an example of an annoying thing: The fast travel menu is completely seperate from the regular map view. So if I go to a fast travel point and open it, then realize I can't see the quest marker on that view, and I can't scroll the map in that menu, I have to back out of that menu, open the main menu, fine the quest marker (manually, of course), find the nearest fast travel point, make a mental note​ of the name of it, back out of the menu, open the fast travel point again, and scroll to that fast travel point.

It's 2017. Fast travel has been a feature of many, many games over the last decade. Some implementations are better than others. But designers tend to learn from observation the pros and cons of various implementations. This is one of the worst fasttravel implementations I've ever encountered. And its not like regular travel is fun either. They made an open-world game where moving around the world sucks and is a chore.

The actual action gameplay is fun, the music is great, and the setting/story seems pretty good. But I'm not just gonna overlook the giant downside present in the game's design.

Edit: And yes, that segment was really good in terms of writing and story.

That's a fair point and I've run into the exact same issue, but yeah, it's a goddamn breath of fresh air compared to other Yoko Taro games. I mean, there's a reason he was basically run out of the industry, to be honest, and his part games have been actively dickheaded toward the player intentionally for no reason other than he feels that players have to earn it (via dedication, not necessarily skill) to see the true endings to his games. Drakengaard 1-3 and Nier had a LOT of massive flaws from an actual gameplay perspective, the stories and writing are solely what carried them.

You can tell Platinum heavily curbed him, but yeah... That crate in front of the master blacksmith is basically classic Yoko Taro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

credburn posted:

I was going to say, then what does it matter if the reviewers are PC focused...

Oh I just mean that RPS are a PC games review site so they hadn't reviewed PS4 code.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not related to ME:A but just a reminder that Titanfall 2 is a strong and good game even if you're a lovely FPS player.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is multiplayer alive. I wanted to do the campaign but I also would like to shoot other people

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

Is multiplayer alive. I wanted to do the campaign but I also would like to shoot other people
I just played like ten uninterrupted games in a row so I guess so? And in Japan where they are not so hot on FPSs for the most part.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Can you cross-platform Titanfall 2? I have it for PC but I work graveyard and the only chance I have some time off and can play, it takes an awful long time for the matchmaker to find me a game. God drat it, you loving thing, just let me browse the goddamn servers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

credburn posted:

Can you cross-platform Titanfall 2?

No, they're seperate. It's pretty rare for an FPS to be cross-platform (what was the last one, Shadowrun?)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

precision posted:

Blasto owned and will forever be incredibly good

The problem isn't that that scene is goofy, it's that it's incredibly bad

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Sometimes I forget about the plight of the common folk when I'm downloading 60GB games in like 5 hours on this PS4. My condolences go out to those stuck in internet hell.

The problem is that I can download 60GB in about 40mins from steam (limited by wifi and concrete walls) and I had to spend 5 hours nursing the 40GB download for HZD, pausing/restarting it when it dropped to 1MB/sec and trying to get it to 4-6MB/sec. Peak was 20 or so for 10mins or while steam routinely gets 35+MB/sec without any trying.

The PS store and downloads are abysmal and primitive and hold back some nice hardware. The website is horrible with its loading segments in the year 2017. Also uncacheable to browsers because Sony.

I had hoped they had improved things since the PS3, but it's still the same horrible store and infrastructure just slightly faster. But not as the same increase in fastness as the rest of the world in the same period.

Ranting because it was incredibly disappointing to get a PS4 Pro, come home buy HZD and Bloodborne and then wait for hours upon hours nursing the console as Sony shows us how to use a straw to drink from the ocean. Would have been a 20 minute download on steam for HZD and I could've walked away for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Put it into rest mode and it'll download a lot faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Put it into rest mode and it'll download a lot faster

I tried that after reading about it and it wasn't from my measurements (which I did). All servers eventually drop you down to a 1-4MB/s speed whether in direct download or rest. I can see rest being faster than downloading while playing a game, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem which is lovely infrastructure for downloading on Sony's end.

I also got a pop-up while playing HZD to let me know that the Bloodborne download had blocked itself, I ignored it and then found it didn't auto retry and restart, I had to kick it into motion by hand.

I was initially restarting the PS4 until I found a server at 6+MB/sec until I finally figured out how to pause and restart downloads by accident. Not listed anywhere that I found.

The console reboots really quickly so there's that consolation.

Loving HZD and very happy for the purchase, but disappointed to find PS3-era store and downloads are still here.