Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
gently caress the Democratic party: https://theintercept.com/2016/05/03/single-payer-dems-colo/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

For fucks goddamn sake and people will still defend the Right Wing of the Dems to their death. No wonder Left Wing action has no traction in America it get's attacked by the very people who in theory should be for it. gently caress the donor class and the consultants they're all parasites

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

KomradeX posted:

For fucks goddamn sake and people will still defend the Right Wing of the Dems to their death. No wonder Left Wing action has no traction in America it get's attacked by the very people who in theory should be for it. gently caress the donor class and the consultants they're all parasites
Have you considered that perhaps the reason Colorado for Coloradans was able to torpedo the single payer initiative there, is that leftists in Colorado didn't fight hard enough? :smug:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Have you considered that perhaps the reason Colorado for Coloradans was able to torpedo the single payer initiative there, is that leftists in Colorado didn't fight hard enough? :smug:

Obviously Left Wing ideas have no traction, there's no money it. We can't expect Democrat to support policies that won't make them or the donor class rich. That's just crazy talk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hang all nobles.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Bernie couldn't come close to beating Hillary, and Hillary lost to Trump. By what logic could you see that working well at all?

If Bernie actually wants to change the Democratic party he should've stayed a member after the election.

There’s no point in defending a primary system that does not reflect the voting map of national elections.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

There’s no point in defending a primary system that does not reflect the voting map of national elections.

And how would that system look?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

It's poo poo like this that makes me glad Sanders is an independent and not a leech with a D next to his name

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The Democrats can't win with just their own base. Let people outside the party have a say on who gets elected.

The piss poor voter turnout during the primary was the first real sign of trouble for the Democrats.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Democrats can't win with just their own base. Let people outside the party have a say on who gets elected.

The piss poor voter turnout during the primary was the first real sign of trouble for the Democrats.

The second sign was when the party threw all their support behind a candidate having a hard time filling hugh school gymnasiums while the other Dem candidate was filling stadiums erryday

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Ahh, the Shillaries are back to tell us about how we failed Her rather than the other way around.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The second sign was when the party threw all their support behind a candidate having a hard time filling hugh school gymnasiums while the other Dem candidate was filling stadiums erryday

it's like a flat circle, next comes the "well the votes didn't reflect that" argument, and then comes the "secret $hillary ninja squads literally burned bernie ballots secretly while the DNC chair cackled in glee" rebuttal, and then it goes around and around, forever

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It’s easy to say in retrospect that Sanders didn’t stand a chance against someone who was basically on the campaign trail for the last 10 years out of some hubris to secure the WH.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I wish Trump followed though and really did throw Hillary in prison :(.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

How many states require proof of party? In my state they didn't require it when I voted in the primary and Bernie lost there anyway. I don't think he really ever had a chance of winning, the institutional inertia of Clinton running for the position for a decade was just too much to overcome. The fact that he actually bloodied her nose a bit when everyone in the party assumed it was all just a formality is where the Clinton campaign and the DNC should have started believing the people saying there were some problems and they weren't just going to walk into the Whitehouse followed by a Senate majority. They need to actually address the issue of their party's unpopularity if they want to actually get back into power at any level.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm actually a bit torn about single-payer on a state level. Pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and healthcare providers are probably more than willing to take losses for a few years to ensure that the system fails and reverts to the status quo, and then the right wing has a golden example of how single-payer "doesn't work". States just don't have the bargaining power or regulatory freedom that small countries of the same population and economic output have. And this is on top of having about half of those in the government actively and openly trying to undermine the implementation and maintenance of a single-payer system.

That said, I am quite confident that this kind of concern was not the reason these Democratic consulting groups took on the anti-single-payer clients. So, yes, gently caress the Democratic party.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

does the constant heckling of clinton serve any non-masturbatory function? this is like the sixth thread that has descended into rage-induced fantasies about vast clintonian conspiracies and establishment subterfuge.

tbqh, it makes me think that the problem was less ideological than personal. the democratic party could have run an identical candidate and avoided the bernie crowd's rage so long as the candidate's name was not "hillary clinton."

idk how this is a "gently caress the democratic party" story so much as a "private consulting firm accepts client" story

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 20, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had Bernie been a Democrat before 2015 he very well could have won the primaries so it's great to see his supporters keep defending his dumb choice

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Had Bernie been a Democrat before 2015 he very well could have won the primaries so it's great to see his supporters keep defending his dumb choice

Source?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

QuoProQuid posted:

does the constant heckling of clinton serve any non-masturbatory function? this is like the sixth thread that has descended into rage-induced fantasies about vast clintonian conspiracies and establishment subterfuge.

tbqh, it makes me think that the problem was less ideological than personal. the democratic party could have run an identical candidate and avoided the bernie crowd's rage so long as the candidate's name was not "hillary clinton."

it serves as a constant reminder of what a poo poo candidate she was

also, there was both ideological and personal issues with her. the personal issues appear to be more in the vein of "hillary is arrogant and condescending" than "i just don't like her"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC7-JsR2Fk

quote:

idk how this is a "gently caress the democratic party" story so much as a "private consulting firm accepts client" story

lol ok

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

How do we ensure she doesn't run again?

That's right- constant heckling

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Condiv posted:

also, there was both ideological and personal issues with her. the personal issues appear to be more in the vein of "hillary is arrogant and condescending" than "i just don't like her"

lol ok

who are you reminding? i think literally everyone on something awful dot com knows that d&d hates clinton

the article you linked is interesting. i don't know if i can really make any conclusions because of the way the performance seems to be set up, but it's an interesting concept. it does seem to point to more personal issues than ideological ones, though.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How do we ensure she doesn't run again?

That's right- constant heckling

both of new york's senators are well-established and have no interest in retiring. cuomo and de blasio will run for re-election. beyond a few clickbait articles, there's no indication that she is even thinking about 2020.

even if she wanted to run for office again, which is doubtful considering her age and the current political mood, there's no place for her to run. if she is politically active at all, it will be in fundraising and organizing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

both of new york's senators are well-established and have no interest in retiring. cuomo and de blasio will run for re-election.

even if she wanted to run for office again, which is doubtful considering her age and the current political mood, there's no place for her to run. if she is politically active at all, it will be in fundraising and organizing.

I would love for us to bash on Cuomo more, especially as a New Yorker. He's everything awful about the democrats turned up to 11. If he has a shot at a national career than everything negative said by the left allot democrats outs proven true and they deserve for the party to continually fall into obscurity.

If course the problem is Clinton will probably be fund raising and organizing for people like Cuomo so there is that

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

QuoProQuid posted:

who are you reminding? i think literally everyone on something awful dot com knows that d&d hates clinton

the article you linked is interesting. i don't know if i can really make any conclusions because of the way the performance seems to be set up, but it's an interesting concept. it does seem to point to more personal issues than ideological ones, though.

there are a lot of hillaries in D&D for a forum that hates clinton. ones that will rush to defend her from even the mildest criticism. i'm not sure that these hillary fanatics won't be repeating that abuela is electable, and competent, etc in 2-3 years. so i think it's a good idea to periodically remind everyone that no, hillary is in fact poo poo, and she should never be trusted on anything again.

as for your "personal issues matter more than ideological ones" conclusion from that article, i dunno why you'd make that conclusion from watching a video that only highlights clinton's personal issues. her ideological issues were a significant problem for her too and were a big reason why she was not able to switch to a simple message to fight trump back with. all the simple messages she could've used to counter trump do not align with the interests and ideology of her donors, so she was stripped of her ability to use them. it's incredibly amazing to me that a republican was able to claim the mantle of caring about the poor more than hillary was, entirely because she could not actually fight back in a way a traditional, non-corrupt democrat could.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

also, i don't know how much of D&D agrees yet, but I think it's p clear by now that the clintons are heavily corrupt. their daughter received numerous well-paying gift jobs from news networks and such. i don't know how a politician can try to claim that their kid receiving a $26k a minute salary from NBC will not have any sway on their policies.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Condiv posted:

lol ok

Holy poo poo Hillary got owned in the debates didn't she?? Is there an entire gender swapped debate posted somewhere?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

also, i don't know how much of D&D agrees yet, but I think it's p clear by now that the clintons are heavily corrupt. their daughter received numerous well-paying gift jobs from news networks and such. i don't know how a politician can try to claim that their kid receiving a $26k a minute salary from NBC will not have any sway on their policies.

That isn't what corruption means. Though it's very distasteful.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It kinda is what corruption means though. It's just not illegal corruption.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Kingfish posted:

It kinda is what corruption means though. It's just not illegal corruption.

Corruption is misuse of power. Giving someone a job because of nepotism isn't corruption.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

That isn't what corruption means. Though it's very distasteful.

They gave her daughter a job so that she would misuse her power to benefit them

In most first world nations something like this would sink her. Not the corruption friendly US though

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Corruption is misuse of power. Giving someone a job because of nepotism isn't corruption.

Nepotism isn't a sign of corruption.... Jesus Christ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

They gave her daughter a job so that she would misuse her power to benefit them

In most first world nations something like this would sink her. Not the corruption friendly US though

He daughter getting a good job would sink her? Really? That is such meaningless small beans.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Her daughter getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing by a major news corporation should have put her in hot water. Same with the Saudi donations to the Clinton Foundation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Her daughter getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing by a major news corporation should have put her in hot water. Same with the Saudi donations to the Clinton Foundation.

Child of rich, famous and influential parents getting a good job is not a scandal. No one cares. It's SOP.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It would be a scandal if we lived in a civilized country.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

QuoProQuid posted:

Have a giant list of colorado politicians including the democratic governor opposing it then.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Considering the bill was opposed by majorities of democratic voters and politicians in CO, perhaps we should change the thread title to Will the democrats change and stop representing their membership?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

Considering the bill was opposed by majorities of democratic voters and politicians in CO, perhaps we should change the thread title to Will the democrats change and stop representing their membership?

dickeye finally got a name change so "literally the worst" is now available for you, just fyi

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

for the love of god someone make a post that has nothing to do with Sanders vs Clinton.

Like about Perez. what has tom perez been up to

Fundraising and backroom dealing, just like the DNC chair is supposed to do, plus forming an "advisory committee" for the "transition" and appointing thirty-plus people to it. It's not really very visible or prominent, but it was never expected to be - this is exactly the kind of poo poo the DNC chair does.

Or, to be more exact, "gently caress political consulting firms that are sometimes hired by Democrats and sometimes hired by major industries".

Also, gently caress ballot initiatives for constitutional amendments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Fundraising and backroom dealing, just like the DNC chair is supposed to do, plus forming an "advisory committee" for the "transition" and appointing thirty-plus people to it. It's not really very visible or prominent, but it was never expected to be - this is exactly the kind of poo poo the DNC chair does.

Or, to be more exact, "gently caress political consulting firms that are sometimes hired by Democrats and sometimes hired by major industries".

Also, gently caress ballot initiatives for constitutional amendments.

if California hadn't already proved it, 2016 made it painfully clear that referendums for policy are the worst idea ever.

• Locked thread