Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Action Tortoise posted:

That's always funny and I love it when games don't account for people minmaxing side poo poo to do that and play the story up to be life or death when you've got god tier sets.

I also did that, which is how I discovered that a lot of the quests have alternate dialog to account for you already having the five thunderjaw asses or whatever in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
I just powered through Shadow of Mordor, and I don't think I get the nemesis system and it's possible I missed it completely, but for the first 12 hours of the game I completely ignored the plot and just went to work on orc captain after orc captain, decapitating everyone in my path and it was the most fun I've had since Dark Souls 1. My favorite little thing was the number of times I'd be fighting one captain and their gang and another captain would roll into the fray and I just had to deal with them too. There was one time where I was fighting 6 captains and their gangs at one time.

Also, I like how you can be completely surrounded but the baddies kinda wait their turn like in a kungfu movie, let's you feel like your facing something insurmountable and feel really cool afterwards.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Seeing a Mr. Shakedown lumbering towards Kiryu through crowds of people in Yakuza 0 generates the same sense of inevitable dread in me that crowded wide shots do in It Follows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tony Bologna posted:

I just powered through Shadow of Mordor, and I don't think I get the nemesis system and it's possible I missed it completely, but for the first 12 hours of the game I completely ignored the plot and just went to work on orc captain after orc captain, decapitating everyone in my path and it was the most fun I've had since Dark Souls 1. My favorite little thing was the number of times I'd be fighting one captain and their gang and another captain would roll into the fray and I just had to deal with them too. There was one time where I was fighting 6 captains and their gangs at one time.

Orc captain's can't cheat death and come back if you decapitate them. Also, if you never die to orc captain's in the first place its difficult for the nemesis system to get going which was my problem during my playthrough. :v:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Len posted:

This could be seen as a complaint but it always amuses me when in open world games you go gently caress around before doing the main quest. In Horizon Zero Dawn I put off the main quest for a long rear end time and now I have the top tier weapons of every category, all bandit camps cleared, all but one corrupted zone/cup/vantage point to get, and am level 48 going into a quest set for level 14. The mysterious voice that's helping Aloy put a "powerful weapon" in a box near my destination. I get there and it's a poo poo green tier weapon.

Related, I had a chuckle when a side quest sent me to go seek out a dangerous killer hiding in a bandit camp I'd cleared out long before, and it became this terrible violent woman standing in the middle of a camp with a few friendly NPCs, screaming at dead bandits to kill me. Things did not go well for her.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tony Bologna posted:

Also, I like how you can be completely surrounded but the baddies kinda wait their turn like in a kungfu movie, let's you feel like your facing something insurmountable and feel really cool afterwards.

Shadows of War, I hope, will expand on this even more. Looks like your allies aren't mindless drones and have a chance of saving you in dramatic moments and also betraying you.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Some of my favourite moments are when the Mysterious Stranger appears during clutch, desperate moments to save your rear end when you done hosed up in Fallout, so that's what appealed to me in the gameplay trailer for shadow of war. I want an Orcbro© intelligence officer who is so full-tilt drinking the war machine propaganda he will save me in every situation that gets too hairy. To be honest I'll probably play the game so I have a more Jack Burton angle

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Orc captain's can't cheat death and come back if you decapitate them. Also, if you never die to orc captain's in the first place its difficult for the nemesis system to get going which was my problem during my playthrough. :v:

Oh drat, a friend warned me about some vague stuff about the nemesis system, but I didn't want to spoil anything so I just went out and made sure the orcs definitely hated me. I died more times to the graug before I did the story mission to unlock the QTE to kill them than I died to orc captains.

Inzombiac posted:

Shadows of War, I hope, will expand on this even more. Looks like your allies aren't mindless drones and have a chance of saving you in dramatic moments and also betraying you.

I think the sequel would be great if they focus on the exciting combat and the captain confrontations, and make that the primary focus, and let the terrible storytelling take a backseat. The first run-in with an orc captain was much harder and memorable than the last story-missions I did.

[edit] also Talion is a terrible character, and I wouldn't have finished it if the GoTY edition didn't allow me to play as Lithariel to distance me from the game's cutscenes.

Tony Bologna has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Mar 20, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Orc captain's can't cheat death and come back if you decapitate them.

I swear to God I had one absolutely relentless fucker come back after a decapitation. He was just mute and gurgly and had his neck all bandaged.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Somfin posted:

I swear to God I had one absolutely relentless fucker come back after a decapitation. He was just mute and gurgly and had his neck all bandaged.

When I thought the game endlessly randomly generated captains forever, I was kinda proud of this moment:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jack Baker is one of my favorite video game characters of all time

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I wondered if the Orks themselves would go into other peoples games. You know those missions that say "Your friend was killed by this ork" missions that pop up so I painstakingly made a campaign where my only death would come at the hands of a hand tailored ork with as many packed on immunitys as I could find. Hours and hours and hours of engaging and retreating, doing various challenges by my own subordinates I would sabotage and of course much resting at towers to repopulate and get new orks to fling at him later my nemesis was in no particular order

Immune to burning
Enraged by burning
Immune to fear
Enraged by fear
Enraged by flies
Enraged by damage
Enraged by killing other orcs
immune to stealth finishers.
Immune to counters
immune to finishers
One hit kill to beasts
One hit kill to graugs
Immune to ranged
Poison Weapon
No last chance given
Was a metal shield and halberd weilding Ork

When I went to challenge him one last time to hopefully get him immunity to being grabbed...he got stumbled by an ork who had set itself on fire in the melee and walked the gently caress off the ocean fort's boundaries into the sea.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tony Bologna posted:

When I thought the game endlessly randomly generated captains forever, I was kinda proud of this moment:

Clearing the board as an optional bonus mode in that game was nuts and awesome. I can't wait for the superior ripoffs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MiddleOne posted:

Aside from the one captain I intentionally farmed up to get a level 30 rune from (for an achievement), this was more or less my experience as well. Maybe one or two fun moments where That One Jerk kept showing up to ambush me in the middle of a fight. But to be honest, I had plenty of fun manipulating orcs and avenging other people to the point where I didn't really miss having a specific nemesis.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Aside from the one captain I intentionally farmed up to get a level 30 rune from (for an achievement), this was more or less my experience as well. Maybe one or two fun moments where That One Jerk kept showing up to ambush me in the middle of a fight. But to be honest, I had plenty of fun manipulating orcs and avenging other people to the point where I didn't really miss having a specific nemesis.

This is why I'm happy that they're actually re-tooling the difficulty for the second game instead of having a flat baseline where past a certain point you just never die.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really liked how The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone took into account that there's a good chance you won't have finished the main quest when you start it. You can talk to main quest characters about the mark Master Mirror puts on your face and it works the other way around! If you side with Master Mirror in the DLC, one of the rewards you can get from him is being straight-up told how to get the 'best' ending in the main quest.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

This is why I'm happy that they're actually re-tooling the difficulty for the second game instead of having a flat baseline where past a certain point you just never die.

I would love it if I could boost the global difficulty on the fly. Or if it was a reactive/skill-based explicit thing like how God Hand did it.

E: One for NieR: Automata- I've been playing on reduced settings due to my aging GPU, but I just fuckin' love how mobile 2B is. Her evade is probably one of the best I've seen in games- she fuckin' rockets in the direction you press- and it's got the Platinum thing of being able to evade-cancel basically any stupid action you might accidentally have committed to at a bad moment, and you can cancel an evade into any of your attacks. And the attacks have these ridiculously long final animations just to clue you in to how evade cancelling works.

Also the game is basically straight-up Megaman Legends what with the kindhearted tone and lovable characters and good jokes and loving bleak horror lurking just below the surface and I'm just really, really happy that I get to see another Megaman Legends in my lifetime.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Mar 20, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite little thing in Shadow of Mordor is how great the ghost-powers are.

Specifically the falling one - you start the game in a great big tower, and I immediately leapt off the edge expecting to do an assassin's creed style swan dive.

Instead I turned half-ghost in mid-air and slammed down into a three-point landing like I'm the loving Terminator. :black101:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just did the traditional thing of never taking a single health upgrade and turning off the dodge/block prompts. Now that boosts the difficulty.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite little thing in Shadow of Mordor is how great the ghost-powers are.

Specifically the falling one - you start the game in a great big tower, and I immediately leapt off the edge expecting to do an assassin's creed style swan dive.

Instead I turned half-ghost in mid-air and slammed down into a three-point landing like I'm the loving Terminator. :black101:
I love the multi-parry animation for when you're attacked by two orcs simultaneously. The elfghost just comes bursting out of you to parry the poor orc who thought he had a clear shot at your unprotected back.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm looking forward to SoM2, but I don't have high hopes for the plot. I'm expecting pretty much a repeat of the Bright Lord DLC because what else can they do with that premise?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

I would love it if I could boost the global difficulty on the fly. Or if it was a reactive/skill-based explicit thing like how God Hand did it.

E: One for NieR: Automata- I've been playing on reduced settings due to my aging GPU, but I just fuckin' love how mobile 2B is. Her evade is probably one of the best I've seen in games- she fuckin' rockets in the direction you press- and it's got the Platinum thing of being able to evade-cancel basically any stupid action you might accidentally have committed to at a bad moment, and you can cancel an evade into any of your attacks. And the attacks have these ridiculously long final animations just to clue you in to how evade cancelling works.

Also the game is basically straight-up Megaman Legends what with the kindhearted tone and lovable characters and good jokes and loving bleak horror lurking just below the surface and I'm just really, really happy that I get to see another Megaman Legends in my lifetime.

Also I love that when you time a dodge right the game slows a bit to let you know you can do a counter attack and kick some rear end. The music and audio design in Automata is spectacular. Music fades in and out based on your location, there's one area where it's got bright cheerful music and fireworks. But you step into the back alley and the music muffles but you can still hear the beat and distant fire works going off. It's great.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Somfin posted:

You have my attention.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm looking forward to SoM2, but I don't have high hopes for the plot. I'm expecting pretty much a repeat of the Bright Lord DLC because what else can they do with that premise?

Helms Deep or Battle of Pelennor Fields combat?

I forgot the timeline of SOM but I have faith they'll do something engaging.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Helms Deep or Battle of Pelennor Fields combat?

I forgot the timeline of SOM but I have faith they'll do something engaging.

Timeline is set between the Hobbit and LotR.
Premise is Celebrimbor makes a new Ring and he and Tyrion challenge Sauron for control of Mordor, but we know who's in charge by the time of LotR, so I can only guess that, like the Bright Lord DLC, you get chumped in a cut scene at the end

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Somfin posted:

Somebody hasn't gotten all the endings yet.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Somfin posted:

Ahhh gently caress, I was trying to avoid buying this one. Why do you have to say things like this, Somfin? Why? :(

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Somebody hasn't gotten all the endings yet.

Does that mean it's like Nier in that it would literally have been better if you had never played the game?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The amazing thing about Marvel heroes 2016 is how much dialogue there is. 60 playable characters and they all diss each other repeatedly in the hub world. Also, even common items have flavor text, often with your character dissing their teammates.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Blind Sally posted:

So many guns in Turok 2 are that level of satisfying. The Shredder shotgun with explosive shells, for example. The Plasma Rifle. The Tek Bow and Tek Arrows. I can't remember if these guns always felt this good or if this is more of Night Dive studio's magic at work.
I still have to give the most satisfying and ridiculous guns award to Painkiller.

it shoots shuriken and lightning

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

I still have to give the most satisfying and ridiculous guns award to Painkiller.

Very very frightening me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

theshim posted:

I actually preferred the rifle that launches sharpened logs at people, that burst into flames after a while.
All of the Painkiller guns were Very Good. It says something when the rocket launcher with secondary chaingun is the most boring weapon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ImpAtom posted:

Very very frightening to me.

there you go.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

Ahhh gently caress, I was trying to avoid buying this one. Why do you have to say things like this, Somfin? Why? :(

Because the moment I realised I was playing a high-budget Platinum Studios riff on Megaman Legends was the moment I realised that this was gonna be one of the very few games I upgrade my computer for and play until there's nothing left to experience.

There's a high-level enemy that's been begging me to kill him and I've tried twice and had to retreat both times because he's just too strong and has too much health and the fact that I can do that makes this a proper goddamn open-world game.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Timeline is set between the Hobbit and LotR.
Premise is Celebrimbor makes a new Ring and he and Tyrion challenge Sauron for control of Mordor, but we know who's in charge by the time of LotR, so I can only guess that, like the Bright Lord DLC, you get chumped in a cut scene at the end

This reminds me, the Star Wars Episode 3 video game tie-in had a level where you're Anakin fighting Obi-Wan at the end, and you can win and kill him. And then there's a cutscene where Anakin kills the Emperor as well and takes over the Empire.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A non-game thing and I'm pretty sure I've brought it up before but I loving love the TV remote functionality built into the Wii U. It's the most obvious thing ever but so very, very useful.

Does the Switch do the same thing?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I actually preferred the rifle that launches sharpened logs at people, that burst into flames after a while.
All of the Painkiller guns were Very Good. It says something when the rocket launcher with secondary chaingun is the most boring weapon.
The best and craziest part of the stake gun was that if you were good enough you could fire the stakes into the secondary fire bouncing grenades to :hellyeah:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

2house2fly posted:

This reminds me, the Star Wars Episode 3 video game tie-in had a level where you're Anakin fighting Obi-Wan at the end, and you can win and kill him. And then there's a cutscene where Anakin kills the Emperor as well and takes over the Empire.

I doubt War's gonna have something like that. Monolith's been playing it safe so far,and will probably continue to do so.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

VolticSurge posted:

I doubt War's gonna have something like that. Monolith's been playing it safe so far,and will probably continue to do so.

I'd love to see the end of War being Ghost Dad making his own, completing empire against Sauron. If they were clever about it, I wouldn't have to interfere with the LOTR canon at all.

Sexy Ghost Dad wrests control of the area away from Sarumon except the tower and mines and Sauron decides it's time to fall back and consolidate power until a couple of Hobbits come and gently caress up his world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DOTA 2's Witch Doctor is the goofiest motherfucker.

He has an ability called Maledict - it causes people to take damage over time that increases if they take additional damage. If a character is affected by the curse and drops sufficiently low, Witch Doctor proudly announces to the team "' 'ees about to pop!"

His signature ability is called Paralysing Cask - it's a poison barrel that bounces between people and stuns them.

One of the cosmetic items you can get for him is a palm tree that he straps to his back, with a monkey that rides on his shoulder, periodically checks his hair for nits, stares menacingly out at enemies, and runs around in circles while the Doctor dances on the spot.

It also changes your cask into a bouncing coconut, with a loud THWOCK noise to match.

Easily the most fun hero in the game. Dude's just so happy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZYgqBp1gI