Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Holy poo poo. This more or less confirms the article posted above. That's pretty troubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

that's backwards to me. Way back years ago I reversed my evaluation of Cody Zeller from trash to very promising once I finally seen a picture of him in profile and realized that he was, in fact, not just ugly but hugely ugly in a kinda Marv-from-Sin-City lookin' goon-type monster-person children must run and hide and people are too embarrassed to ask what happened type of way.

When you see a dude like Walking Crest-Advertisement Michael Jordan or Banana Republic Model Kevin Love come into the league you're like hmm maybe this guy is just coasting on his looks, but when you've got something seriously hosed up like Zeller or AD* you know there must be some real serious talent going on

There are important roles for ugly dudes in the modern NBA.

*although I guess AD's got braces not sure what Zeller could do about his whole thing

Kevin Love has had a nose job. Look at rookie love vs now. The man looked extremely goony coming into the league

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Anthony Davis is seriously bizarre looking even with nice teeth. He's got facial hair now which distracts from the brow but it's still all weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Kevin Love has had a nose job. Look at rookie love vs now. The man looked extremely goony coming into the league

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That fuckin chin strap man

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He also lost a fair bit of weight a few years in. Nutrients to refuel. Protein to rebuild. Backed by science. Chocolate Milk.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

IANA Scout or a GM, but watching Swanigan against Iowa State last night really soured me on him. He looked slow, useless on D more than three feet away from the basket, his O was all rudimentary moves by the basket that won't fly in the pros save a couple decent long shots, and his rebounding didn't seem to be anything special. He looked to be a below the rim big who might have a game suited for Big Ten play but I don't think it translates to NBA play at all. He might need to lose another 25lbs or so and see if he can translate to a wing since I think he's what, 6'8" 250lbs now? But his lack of speed would hurt him even more there.

He could always come out and start making that D-League/Europe money, but he might as well stay four years at Purdue at this point. I don't know if I just saw a bad game or something, but I'd be shocked if he played a minute in the NBA.

e - I wasn't watching Purdue's other big that closely but I was more impressed with him from what little I saw, seemed to be far more explosive. Would need more than a sideways glance, of course.

There is a lot to pick apart with him but "unimpressive rebounder?" Come on.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Yeah he looked like Riff Raff for a while

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

JODY HiGHROLLER is p ripped these days

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

too handsome

born in 1999 which makes me feel old

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah he looked like Riff Raff for a while

Yeah, Kevin love has always looked like a bizarro mix and match between Riff Raff and Mike Posner.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

too handsome

born in 1999 which makes me feel old

So so close to superstars born after 9/11. I can't wait.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Had to tell one of my students that Lonzo Ball wasn't going to be the first overall pick

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had to tell one of my students that Lonzo Ball wasn't going to be the first overall pick

Tragic

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NickRoweFillea posted:

How did they take the news?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is LaVar Ball doing all his homework?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Robert Williams is reportedly staying in school and that seems like an awful idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ty1990 posted:

Robert Williams is reportedly staying in school and that seems like an awful idea.

Yeah. I feel like he had a pretty good chance of being picked top 10 by wowing people with his athleticism in the combine and workouts. Dude is huge, and gets up, and moves well enough to make me think his quickness can be developed. He has very few actual basketball skills but the place to get those is with professional development, not in college.

Plus, in a draft where there might be only three centers who aren't considered long term projects, I don't see him slipping very far, and if next year is as big-centric as people are predicting he might have given up quite a few draft spots.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ty1990 posted:

When was the last time a potential top 10 pick big man stayed in college and raised his draft stock?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

When was the last time a potential top 10 pick big man stayed in college and raised his draft stock?

Duncan. And if he somehow stays, I guess John Collins.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Duncan. And if he somehow stays, I guess John Collins.

Duncan would have probably gone 1st any year after his like sophomore season, he didn't really raise his stock

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Duncan would have probably gone 1st any year after his like sophomore season, he didn't really raise his stock

Oh somehow I missed the "raised his stock" bit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump posted:

uh Joe Smith I guess?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Nik stauskas ?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Nik stauskas ?

I do not feel you understood the question, euphronius.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You're right missed the "big man" qualifier

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

IcePhoenix posted:

How did they take the news?

Poorly. And then another kid chimed up with Markelle Fultz and I gave him a bonus point

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

You're right missed the "big man" qualifier

Also I don't think he was projected as a top ten pick after his Freshman year. He was like the third or fourth option on Michigan that year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your right

Buddy hield would be the better example under my misunderstanding.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand. Someone who was already a top 10 becoming a top 5 with an extra year or so? Or someone climbing up to top 10?

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Blake while not the biggest man is probably the best recent example of a guy who would of went highish but then took the leap up to even higher.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

I don't understand. Someone who was already a top 10 becoming a top 5 with an extra year or so? Or someone climbing up to top 10?

Someone who is expected to go at the tail end of the top 10 moving to top 5.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-shooting-mechanics-6eeda2ef3e41#.iqyqppq8y

A good article about Ball and ball.

I'd never really considered that using a different brand of basketball could affect shooting with NBA players, but it's certainly something I've experienced. The article points out that actual great shooters but does make a difference with others.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-shooting-mechanics-6eeda2ef3e41#.iqyqppq8y

I'd never really considered that using a different brand of basketball could affect shooting with NBA players, but it's certainly something I've experienced. The article points out that actual great shooters but does make a difference with others.

Really good!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

For what it's worth, the 44 attempts without a Wilson ball is really small. If 3 of those misses became makes, he'd be better with a non-Wilson than his current average. I suspect the split has a lot more to do with defense and playing on the road in general than the ball, but it still is an interesting data point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Justin Jackson this draft's obvious trap pick or could he be ok?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've always felt that if you take the Naismith-y best college player, usually upper classmen, you are gonna get a great 12 yr role player. As long as you don't take em in the lottery. Like Jameer Nelson for example. Taken in the 20s and had a nice little career. I feel like that's what Jackson will turn out to be. Then again he could be Sean May. (Not talking about style of game btw)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ButtWolf posted:

I've always felt that if you take the Naismith-y best college player, usually upper classmen, you are gonna get a great 12 yr role player. As long as you don't take em in the lottery. Like Jameer Nelson for example. Taken in the 20s and had a nice little career. I feel like that's what Jackson will turn out to be. Then again he could be Sean May. (Not talking about style of game btw)

David West is a great example, too, as the 18th pick.

e: Not Naismith but:

quote:

In his senior season, West garnered two of the five major college basketball Player of the Year honors, being named AP National Player of the Year and National Player of the Year by the United States Basketball Writers Association.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
On the other hand, Tyler Hansbrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
People are mocking him to the Hornets which seems lazy but after Frank Kaminsky I have no room for criticism. As long as they end up with one of the non-Jackson guards or wings I'd be happy but I guess a high-floor guy is fine

• Locked thread