Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

mark the day!
On 29.03.2019 the EU will have rid themselves of the Anglo-Saxon oppression at the latest

hahahaha if you believe that they will not find a way to kick the can down the road multiple times and prolong the process for a lot longer than 2 years

Not if the EU can help it. It's in the UK interest to kick the can down the road, but the EU gets the most leverage if they keep a strict deadline. And it's the EU that can decide to extend beyond the 2-year deadline, not the UK.

Fun times are here to stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just to be sure here, wasn't the UK the one that was always against more integration and needed all the coddling so they'd be happy?

This is probably the biggest shot in the foot for a country since Pearl Harbor

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

orange sky posted:

Just to be sure here, wasn't the UK the one that was always against more integration and needed all the coddling so they'd be happy?

They also used arguments of EU overreach that they themselves pushed through. Propaganda is a hell of a thing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

orange sky posted:

One of them, sure, and the most visible one by far. But because there are so many members with differing views that need unanimous consent you can find countries that'll block integrations no matter the topic. Tax harmonisation - NL and Lux. Labor protection - eastern europe and the northern countries (one because they profit from social dumping, the Swedes because they don't want to be forced to reduce their välfärdsstat). And so on and so on.

It is entirely likely that we'll see some movement on financial services regulation, military and security policy, and maybe immigration. But for each of these themes I can see more countries blocking progress. On the other hand it's been a bit easy for European policy makers to blame lack of progress on the brits, so now that may pressure them to create results now that the easy scapegoat is leaving. We'll see.

And yes, this is the motherload of own-goals.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 20, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

http://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/eurozone-chief-backs-german-calls-for-a-european-imf

Djisselbloem needs a job man, come up with something!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's great is that for the next ten years the U.K. politicians and media will only focus on brexit while britain's litany of social issues will go unattended too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

julian assflange posted:

What's great is that for the next ten years the U.K. politicians and media will only focus on brexit while britain's litany of social issues will go unattended too.

so business as usual then?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's also great is that Ireland's politicians and media will speak of nothing but Brexit and the border and joining the north and the south rather than focus on the litany of social issues that face the country

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

So everything exactly like the last 40 years. Thacherism is a hell of a drug.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

double nine posted:

Not if the EU can help it. It's in the UK interest to kick the can down the road, but the EU gets the most leverage if they keep a strict deadline. And it's the EU that can decide to extend beyond the 2-year deadline, not the UK.

If I were the EU I wouldn't lift a finger to strike a deal within the 2 years.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lord of the Llamas posted:

They will, there's already a plan to start trade deal negotiations at the same time as exit talks. Like the EU said wouldn't happen.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That would be an own goal too; Britain would be hurt more by a Brexit without a deal, but the EU would certainly not gain anything by it.

Junior G-man posted:

They will, there's already a plan to start trade deal negotiations at the same time as exit talks. Like the EU said wouldn't happen.

Really? Source? (not that I don't believe you but it's certainly news to me)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pluskut Tukker posted:

That would be an own goal too; Britain would be hurt more by a Brexit without a deal, but the EU would certainly not gain anything by it.

Its very survival might be what it gains from it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If the EU's shown great ability in anything over the past 7 years, it's in trying to do something and managing to get less than nothing out of it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Really? Source? (not that I don't believe you but it's certainly news to me)

Don't have a link for you, but it's the latest scuttlebutt here inside the bubble. The Irish are pushing it hard - they're terrified of being caught in the middle of the EU and UK as so much of their trade relies on the UK open borders etc.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

julian assflange posted:

I was under the impression that the politicians are very much attending to the social issues. By making them worse, that is.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Don't have a link for you, but it's the latest scuttlebutt here inside the bubble. The Irish are pushing it hard - they're terrified of being caught in the middle of the EU and UK as so much of their trade relies on the UK open borders etc.

That makes sense, thanks. From a Continental point of view, it might not even a bad idea to start the trade negotiations now since as far as I can tell the British government is in no way fully staffed or prepared yet to handle trade negotiations so locking in the advantages the EU bureaucracy has over them might not be the worst thing in the world.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This is good news for anyone who isn't in Barad-Dűr the kremlin.

https://t.co/QE3mDGmhzN

quote:

Britain and Germany set to sign defence co-operation deal

Britain and Germany are set to sign a new defence co-operation deal after the UK launches Brexit, as Theresa May attempts to reinforce claims that she is not turning her back on Europe.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Minister of Education Najat Vallaud-Belkacem continues to own routinely, this time by playing Quidditch at a junior high school to show off an example of an interdisciplinary class.

I really like her, a lot, even though she's a Valls supporter, because she's great at trolling reactionaries, and she's doing a decent job as Minister of Education.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MehreenKhn/status/843839900797583361

so there! stick that up yer junta and smoke it, ya nancing euro-commies!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

One of them, sure, and the most visible one by far. But because there are so many members with differing views that need unanimous consent you can find countries that'll block integrations no matter the topic. Tax harmonisation - NL and Lux. Labor protection - eastern europe and the northern countries (one because they profit from social dumping, the Swedes because they don't want to be forced to reduce their välfärdsstat). And so on and so on.

It is entirely likely that we'll see some movement on financial services regulation, military and security policy, and maybe immigration. But for each of these themes I can see more countries blocking progress. On the other hand it's been a bit easy for European policy makers to blame lack of progress on the brits, so now that may pressure them to create results now that the easy scapegoat is leaving. We'll see.

And yes, this is the motherload of own-goals.

That's why the only solution is to continue integration through multilateral initiatives rather than unanimous joint steps. To some extent it's already the case; that's why there are things like "Schengen area" and "Eurozone".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

double nine posted:

Theoretically the UK could probably unilaterally revoke their Art. 50 notice. And while that'd probably not be politically feasible, they might be able to make an argument that if they're able to unilaterally stop (and restart) the Brexit, they should be able to unilaterally prolong it. Alternatively, I'd not be surprised if the weird and hosed-up customs of international relationships still allow them to kick the can down the road legally even before you get into possible political reasons the EU might be willing to give an extension to the UK.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/MehreenKhn/status/843839900797583361

so there! stick that up yer junta and smoke it, ya nancing euro-commies!

So you can wipe the debt of Germans, but not the Greeks?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

His Divine Shadow posted:

German debt wasn't accrued immorally.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

German debt wasn't accrued immorally.

Hehehe

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I think we can make austerity work if we tie a carrot of some kind to it.

For example, if country demonstrates sufficient commitment to austerity, they get partial debt forgiveness. Of course, we need to ensure that this won't be abused by being careful which countries are accepted into this system.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm watching the first (only?) French presidential debate. Mélanchon speaks very well.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

julian assflange posted:

I'm watching the first (only?) French presidential debate. Mélanchon speaks very well.
Mélenchon used to teach French. He did pretty well in the show with the kids.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Minister of Education Najat Vallaud-Belkacem continues to own routinely, this time by playing Quidditch at a junior high school to show off an example of an interdisciplinary class.

I really like her, a lot, even though she's a Valls supporter, because she's great at trolling reactionaries, and she's doing a decent job as Minister of Education.

Najat is a qt

This presidential debate is shocking because the candidates actually answer the questions concisely, instead of droning on and exceeding time limits like in ours

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

His Divine Shadow posted:

German debt was not wiped out, it was just restructured, mostly because the Western powers had not interest in impoverishing West Germany, their front line against communism, which coincidentally didn't elect politicians whose explicit goal it was to destroy/change the power structure and ideological orthodoxy of NATO.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I would vote for a Sanders/Melenchon ticket in 2020

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Le Pen is giving Fillon a right doing tonight

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

curried lamb of God posted:

I would vote for a Sanders/Melenchon ticket in 2020

sanders/melenchon/corbyn triumvirate

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Grandma is drunk and ranting about burkinis again

edit: draaaaag her Jean-Luc

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My French debate hot take:
Fillon: Has said gently caress all and seems to be on drugs. Taking a beating from the others.Skin has a leathery quality to it tonight.
Hamon: still fixated on Macron and hasn't landed a single lasting blow. Least presence of all five participants. Pale as gently caress.
Mélanchon: some good owns. Decent skin.
Macron: made light work of Hamon and Le Pen's weak owns and spirited defence of others. Fumbled his words at some stage Unless he makes a major gently caress up he won't suffer much after tonight. Neutral complexion.
Le Pen: going full Trump from tonight onwards it seems. Some good owns on Fillon. Good hair.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Melenchon's gallery is hilarious

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hosts are making a meal of it. Three/four people talking across each other for the last five minutes

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
:lol: at MLP trying to claim that Brexit has been a success

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

curried lamb of God posted:

:lol: at MLP trying to claim that Brexit has been a success

Yet there was no pound sign on her graph showing how the UK compared to Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey Euro Goons, can you reassure me that Le Pen probably won't win?