Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Krispy Kareem posted:

Except that Chick-Fil-A discontinued the spicy chicken biscuit.

They can all go to gay hell now.

You can't just say that and not source it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Virigoth posted:

It's true. Haven't been back since.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Virigoth posted:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2016/07/28/why-did-chick-fil-a-kill-the-spicy-chicken-biscuit.html

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Lots of weddings and receptions are on Saturday, and Chick Fil A is closed on Sundays. And planning ahead just means microwaving a biscuit on Sunday morning and that's just not right.

Now planning ahead and having the wedding party spring for 200 Krystal sliders delivered at 11PM is a good way to head off the hangover at the pass. Does it taste good? Who cares, everyone who is eating is already drunk.

edit: I know several nurses who are good at starting IVs, and have thought about starting a business where they provide a mobile IV bus in college towns. I'm sure it's BWM and BW Nursing because the insurance costs would be through the roof and giving Broheim McTequilaShots an IV just so he can get his second wind and party even harder is just asking for a death by alcohol poisoning. Maybe if it was tied with Uber/Lyft/extant cab services that aren't poo poo where they get a ride home after the hangover is averted? The logo would be a sexy lady in Hot Nurse outfit, but the actual nurses are guys in their 30s with full beards and tattoo sleeves.

more edit: They may need EMS certification to administer treatment outside of the hospital / clinic. OBAMA!! :argh:

Guys in their 30s with beards and tattoo sleeves? Not everyone who parties is a straight man, that's all I'm sayin :heysexy:

BigDave posted:

Fruit punch Powerade, Denny's Grand Slam with deluxe hash browns and carbonite-black coffee. And ibuprofen.

All of this before bed.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

NancyPants posted:

Guys in their 30s with beards and tattoo sleeves? Not everyone who parties is a straight man, that's all I'm sayin :heysexy:

Dunno about other nations, but in Australian cities (Melbourne), you can't spit on the street without hitting a beardy, rail-thin hipster with stock standard tattoos.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Dunno about other nations, but in Australian cities (Melbourne), you can't spit on the street without hitting a beardy, rail-thin hipster with stock standard tattoos.

Male nurses and EMTs tend to be well-muscled and if they have facial hair it is always well-groomed. I stand by my statement :colbert:

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Getting in on hangover chat: 2 salt sticks and a pint of water before drinking, 2 salt sticks and a pint of water before bed if you're sober enough to pour a pint of water.

BWM: eating salt sticks like they're candy

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Senf posted:

Getting in on hangover chat: 2 salt sticks and a pint of water before drinking, 2 salt sticks and a pint of water before bed if you're sober enough to pour a pint of water.

BWM: eating salt sticks like they're candy

I read that as salt lick.

The horse posting is coming from inside the thread :ohdear:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

pig slut lisa posted:

Here's a super dumb recommendation by Dave Ramsey for Nick in Cleveland to attack his credit card debt (rate never specified, but figure ~20% APR) by foregoing the instant 100% return he's currently getting through his 401(k) match.

Debt snowball vs. "highest rate first" is one thing, but telling people to give up a guaranteed doubling of money is pretty wrongheaded.

That's one thing I don't like about Dave Ramsay, he's very dogmatic (and not even right). For example, I'm 100% sure that he'd tell me to pay off my student loans (that are currently at 0,34% and will have a <1% interest) instead of investing my money because DEBT IS BAD!
Another one of his rules is to pretty much always tell people to sell their house and move into cheap rentals until all debt is paid off. That's just insane. Moving is expensive and there are tons of other people can do to reduce spending and keep their house.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/60276a/just_spent_3500_on_a_new_rig_after_exwife_through/

Just spent $3,500 on a new rig after ex-wife through my other rig away! posted:

READY!!!
So, I built a bad rear end gaming rig back in 2012 for $2,500 but I got to use it for 6 months before my ex-wife threw it in the dumpster.
Now, that she's gone, I decided it was time to build another! I just ordered the parts with 1 - day shipping! Thank you student loans! (P.S. the rig price includes the drat $300 in tax)

There's a couple edits there today that weren't there yesterday that make a half-assed attempt at explaining this but choose one of the following:

a) GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER
b) Wilhelm scream
c) Price is Right loser tuba
d) all of the above

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Proposition Castle posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/60276a/just_spent_3500_on_a_new_rig_after_exwife_through/

There's a couple edits there today that weren't there yesterday that make a half-assed attempt at explaining this but choose one of the following:

a) GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER
b) Wilhelm scream
c) Price is Right loser tuba
d) all of the above

What the gently caress does this sentence mean in his edited OP :confused:

quote:

Also, as far as the student loan comment goes, guys, it was a half-hearted joke. Yea I'm a college student, but I'm also technically retired and a draw a pension every month and go to school for free, trust me, I do not need you telling me how stupid I am for paying for a computer using student loans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

What the gently caress does this sentence mean in his edited OP :confused:

It probably means he's going to school after completing military service on the GI bill. Likely just enough service to qualify, so he's getting little to nothing, or thinks that his GI bill payments are a "pension".

Edit: replace "retired" with "retarded" or "discharged" and it makes more sense.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 19, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some people go back to school after they retire.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Motronic posted:

It probably means he's going to school after completing military service on the GI bill. Likely just enough service to qualify, so he's getting little to nothing, or thinks that his GI bill payments are a "pension".

It's also entirely possible he was medically retired, and draws a disability pension. I work with someone who was medically retired from the Marines, he gets ~$2k a month for having permanent damage to his back after breaking it in Afghanistan.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Well poo poo. Guess I haven't been to chick fil a in a year. It's usually last on my list because it's expensive but that was the only thing I ate there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Subjunctive posted:

Some people go back to school after they retire.

True. And some schools will let senior citizens take (or audit) classes at reduced cost or free if there are empty seats.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don't intentionally say things like "I bought a computer with my student loans :smug:" to a bunch of strangers on the internet if you don't want them to call you an idiot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Motronic posted:

Edit: replace "retired" with "retarded" or "discharged" and it makes more sense.

From my lurking of GIP, wouldn't that make him eligible for a free computer from the VA's vocational rehab program?

God drat I need a life.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FrozenVent posted:

From my lurking of GIP, wouldn't that make him eligible for a free computer from the VA's vocational rehab program?

God drat I need a life.

Not with the latest graphic card probably.

Also, that guy is an rear end in a top hat for buying a graphics card with the intent to return it in 2 weeks when the next big thing drops. Just use the onboard graphics for 2 weeks, rear end in a top hat.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
I like how he is pissed off enough about the tax to mention it but doesn't say anything about the origination fee on the loans.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Proposition Castle posted:

I like how he is pissed off enough about the tax to mention it but doesn't say anything about the origination fee on the loans.

"The what? :downs:"

Facebook Aunt posted:

True. And some schools will let senior citizens take (or audit) classes at reduced cost or free if there are empty seats.

I don't know many senior citizens who would describe themselves as "technically retired" and are into dank gaming rigz

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

"The what? :downs:"

I don't know many senior citizens who would describe themselves as "technically retired" and are into dank gaming rigz

LoL I actually used to sell pills to a sweet old guy who would sit in the waiting room and talk about overclocking whatever it was he had linux installed on. I loved that guy :3

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I had a spicy chicken biscuit from chick fil a like last week.

WTF.

Wait, the spicy chicken sandwich is available.

So it's not an on menu item, but it shouldn't be an issue to get a spicy chicken biscuit.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Old School BWM: Check kiting
New School BWM: ACH kiting
Wall Street BWM: ACH kiting $18 million dollars from your employer, Merrill Lynch, to allow you to trade $88 million on margin when you actually have less than $700 to your name

quote:

Respondent Matthew David Rubin, a registered representative with Merrill
Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated ("Merrill"), actively traded securities in his
Merrill brokerage account without complying with applicable regulations, rules, and
policies governing the use of margin. Rubin devised a method to circumvent his firm's
systems and that enabled him to appear to satisfy, and avoid, margin calls without
properly funding his securities transactions.

From March 2, 2012, through June 13, 2012 (the ''Relevant Period"), Rubin
effected nearly 2,000 securities transactions with a total principal value of nearly $88
million. To fund the transactions, he initiated 12 automated clearinghouse ('ACH")
requests for electronic funds transfers, in the amount of almost $18 million, from his
personal bank account to his Merrill brokerage account even though he knew that he had
insufficient funds available to cover the transfers. Rubin was able to use the ACH
requests to make it appear as if he had deposited cash into his Merrill brokerage account
because he learned that Merrill credited the amounts of the requests to his brokerage
account for periods-often more than a week-before his lack of funds ultimately caused
the transfers to fail. These extensions of credit artificially inflated the value of Rubin's
Merrill brokerage account, enabling him to meet margin calls, avoid the issuance of
margin calls, and satisfy his obligations to fund his securities transactions.

Rubin's misconduct went undetected during the Relevant Period because he
misled and lied to his supervisors and other Merrill staff. In August 2012, Rubin voluntarily resigned from Merrill shortly after it began a formal investigation into his
trading activity.

The full docs are here: http://disciplinaryactions.finra.org/CaseDetailRecords.aspx?CaseNB=2012033832501

Zero One fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 20, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

No Butt Stuff posted:

I had a spicy chicken biscuit from chick fil a like last week.

WTF.

Wait, the spicy chicken sandwich is available.

So it's not an on menu item, but it shouldn't be an issue to get a spicy chicken biscuit.

Yeah, I had one a week or so ago too. Love those things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5zrsi2/graduating_this_year_540k_student_loan_debt/

-540k in Student Loans
- Has been to 3 different Dental schools.
- Wants to "buy a practice" when he graduates because he can't stand the idea of working for someone else
- Wants to look into "cheap mortgage" options when he graduates
- Interest only on debt + Basic living expenses are 5k per month.

quote:

Graduating this year 540k student loan debt! Stressed!!!

I am graduating this year and the closer I get the crazier this seems. The interest alone is over $3000 a month! My current expenses are around $2000 a month. I plan on moving somewhere cheap and rural to help save money. Should I do IBR? Should i get a mortgage on a cheap house or rent if i know where i will be living for a while? Any advice I would greatly appreciate!

Edit: I will be graduating dental school. Not sure how much I will be making yet.

quote:

You don't need down payments for a business loan to buy a dental practice.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, I had one a week or so ago too. Love those things.

You guys are lucky then. Because in the city Chick-Fil-A built they're off the menu.

Maybe they're on a secret menu in which case I will order all of them.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's one thing I don't like about Dave Ramsay, he's very dogmatic (and not even right). For example, I'm 100% sure that he'd tell me to pay off my student loans (that are currently at 0,34% and will have a <1% interest) instead of investing my money because DEBT IS BAD!
Another one of his rules is to pretty much always tell people to sell their house and move into cheap rentals until all debt is paid off. That's just insane. Moving is expensive and there are tons of other people can do to reduce spending and keep their house.

What's right and wrong isn't the same for everyone. However when dealing with the mass obviously he has to grind his program down to what fits with most. And he has helped so many people go from failure to success (including myself) that it's very hard to argue against him.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rotaryfun posted:

What's right and wrong isn't the same for everyone. However when dealing with the mass obviously he has to grind his program down to what fits with most. And he has helped so many people go from failure to success (including myself) that it's very hard to argue against him.

I'm not convinced he'd tell someone with sub-1% student loan debt to pay down their loans over other things anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not convinced he'd tell someone with sub-1% student loan debt to pay down their loans over other things anyway.

Isn't that outright less than inflation, to the point where you could just invest the money you'd otherwise use to pay it off on some very safe investment and come out ahead?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

rotaryfun posted:

He still encourages tithing, which is flat out terrible advice for most of his target audience.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

He still encourages tithing, which is flat out terrible advice for most of his target audience.

As part of 3 things to do with money yes. Spend, give, save. You realize his target audience is the religious? He is very up front about that.

Good financial advice is good financial advice. Religious or not. Donating to charity or giving to those in need can be swapped for tithing if you aren't about that. But like I said, he doesn't hide it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

rotaryfun posted:

As part of 3 things to do with money yes. Spend, give, save. You realize his target audience is the religious? He is very up front about that.

Good financial advice is good financial advice. Religious or not. Donating to charity or giving to those in need can be swapped for tithing if you aren't about that. But like I said, he doesn't hide that.

Dave Ramsey (and now his daughter) have built their business off the health & wealth wave that people like Joel Osteen are riding. He basically used MLM tactics to get people to host their talks or whatever in their church and then invite others to do so at other churches or at a different time in the same church. loving brilliant business plan.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Well, MLM tactics or not, all I can do is speak to my own experience. In the almost year since I began doing the things he suggests, I've paid off almost all of my debt, including student loans, totaling $53k. Have another $4k to go but should have that done in a month or two.

It's laid out simply. It's easy to follow. It's basic. It worked for me. OBVIOUSLY it's anecdotal and only my experience. But, I have nothing bad to say about his method.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Honestly, it's just good that he's advocating some amount of financial responsibility. I don't care if you're the FIRE crowd or what, but just having some degree of responsibility about money is so foreign to most Americans that it's absolutely wild.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Dave Ramsey has effective advice for getting out of debt, treating it like a behavioral problem rather than a math problem.

Be suspicious of general budgeting stuff, and run far away from his tax and investment advice.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Youtuber Mike J Evans finally got around to reviewing our favorite "As Seen on TV" gadget as part of his "Infomercialism" series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMBYnQ7pqAs

It actually works(!), so while buying a set of them for everyone you have a slight relation to might be BWM buying them for yourself might actually not be.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zero One posted:

Old School BWM: Check kiting
New School BWM: ACH kiting
Wall Street BWM: ACH kiting $18 million dollars from your employer, Merrill Lynch, to allow you to trade $88 million on margin when you actually have less than $700 to your name

The full docs are here: http://disciplinaryactions.finra.org/CaseDetailRecords.aspx?CaseNB=2012033832501
The real BWM is that guy is smart enough to figure that out - or at least to notice there's that long a lag period on the ACH credit before the rejection - and didn't, you know, use that brain of his to not do this :downs:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

canyoneer posted:

Dave Ramsey has effective advice for getting out of debt, treating it like a behavioral problem rather than a math problem.
Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get it. Look at everyone who says, "I'm taking this 2nd mortgage or 401k loan to pay off my credit cards" and see what happens two years later when their cards are maxed out again plus now there's this line of credit.

Treating debt as a disease and refusing to carry it means you're less likely to get in trouble again - even if you are forgoing some GWM investments.

• Locked thread