Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That's a pretty good Chris Walken impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SquirrelFace posted:

Also, once you have kids, one parent usually has to take a step back from work/ work fewer hours. If you are both working towards promotions and are at the office late, the kids are gonna be left at daycare for 11 hours a day and that's not good for anyone. Does that parent just get screwed then?

Just pool your money you goons! If your partner can't be trusted to not spend the rent or nit-picks every purchase, maybe they're not a great partner.

Also put money in the pension fund for the parent that stays home. To make up for the lost pension growth.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Listening to Vampire Weekend about the merits of the Oxford Comma: BWM

And another $70 million comma.

And a $333 million dollar comma

These are nuts! Also,

lol

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hoodwinker posted:

That's a pretty good Chris Walken impression.

There is a wikipedia author & editor who has made thousands of edits that read like that.

quote:

One of his stories was, that the Harpe brothers were actually cousins, William and Joshua Harper, who would, sometime later take the alias Harpe, emigrated, in 1759 or 1760, at a young age, from Scotland. Their fathers were brothers, John and William Harper, who settled in Orange County, North Carolina, between 1761 and 1763. The anti-British Crown neighbors, of the Harpers, were known as Whigs, Rebels, and Patriots. Around April or May, 1775, the young Harper cousins left North Carolina and went to Virginia to find overseer jobs on a slave plantation.

I'm not the only one that has noticed his unique brand of comma abuse:
correction of egregiously bad use of commas
Removed some commas incorrectly placed
rm extraneous commas
copyedit, especially for wild comma use
Removed extra commas from "Tammy and the Bachelor" item
Removed several extra commas in second full paragraph
Corrected excessive comma use
Further readability edits, also incorporating inline citations and remove extraneous commas
Excess commas removed
Removed the Incorrect and pretentious commas of the poorly educated author.
Removed excessive use of commas to improve readability

If, you're bored, and, want to unfuck some edits, it's Chitt66 that's making GBS threads, up Wikipedia, with commas,

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I was in my favorite hole in the wall lunch place yesterday and someone started blaring some video from their phone. That poo poo happened for about 2 minutes until Vu came out of the kitchen and told him to turn it down. There are good people in this world: Vu and that guy fixing the commas.

Oh poo poo top of the page: Second-hand gossip about the girlfriend who spends $500/mo on makeup, has a $1500 car payment, lets him pay for the whole weekend when they meet up (long distance military to military), but can't spare $20 because she "didn't budget for it". We're only getting half the story but this is from the guy who likes her, so take from that what you will.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 18, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Don't trigger me, bro, this is a comma safe space.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Here's a super dumb recommendation by Dave Ramsey for Nick in Cleveland to attack his credit card debt (rate never specified, but figure ~20% APR) by foregoing the instant 100% return he's currently getting through his 401(k) match.

Debt snowball vs. "highest rate first" is one thing, but telling people to give up a guaranteed doubling of money is pretty wrongheaded.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Vox Nihili posted:

Best practice is to just never drop the comma, even when doing so wouldn't create ambiguity. Dropping it is a pointless affectation.
The flipside is that the Oxford comman can create ambiguity as well, depending on the context. It is better to just improve the sentence structure.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Anyone else listen to Dave Ramsay when they want a dose of BWM? He gets some insane calls. Not that he gives that great advice, but it's still hilarious to listen to the "I've got 400k in debt, should I buy a house?" calls.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm guessing he doesn't say "no!" and hang up on them

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't say "no!" and hang up on them

"Take a cash advance from a credit card to put more money down on your mortgage. This will lower the monthly payments of the longer term investment!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What could go wrong with a million-dollar wedding? Check out the million-dollar lawsuit.

quote:

Washington A-listers Joan and Bernard Carl wanted a beautiful wedding for their oldest child. And for the most part, they got it.

The lavish June 2015 celebration for 250 guests in the garden of their Southampton estate was gorgeous. The bride wore Oscar de la Renta. There were 3,500 white roses individually studded into the lawn, a five-course dinner beneath massive chandeliers of greenery and a seven-tier wedding cake.

The mother of the bride commissioned monogrammed napkins for each place setting, as well as a custom fabric for the tables and the flower girl’s dress. There was a beachfront rehearsal dinner. The reception included a specialty cocktail served in an ostrich eggshell; the after parties offered a Calvados and cigar bar, plus hot chocolate and brownie stations.

A week later, the couple exchanged vows in a small candlelight ceremony in the 16th-century chapel at the family chateau in the Loire Valley, followed by hot-air ballooning the next morning.

quote:

So maybe it’s not surprising that a legal battle is brewing between Los Angeles-based celebrity event planner Mindy Weiss and the Carls. Weiss, who designed the Southampton ceremony — which cost upward of a million dollars — is suing the couple for more than $340,000 in unpaid fees and expenses, plus $1.4 million in damages. The Carls claim that Weiss went on an unauthorized spending spree on their dime and is holding the bridal video hostage unless they pay her inflated bill.

quote:

The Carls, who have homes in Kalorama, the Hamptons, London and France, keep a relatively low profile and are horrified that the private family celebration and subsequent lawsuit, first reported in London’s Daily Mail, have become tabloid fodder.

quote:

Things came to a head when, after nearly 10 months of planning and just six weeks before the wedding, Weiss finally provided a detailed proposal that came in at $3 million. The father of the bride was stunned and refused to pay some charges that he considered to be wildly inflated.

quote:

The expenses Weiss says she paid for upfront include more than $45,000 for her staff to work the wedding, $48,000 in travel expenses, $38,000 for lighting, $10,000 for the videographer, and more. All those little wedding favors add up, too: $4,300 for totes, $5,000 for T-shirts, $1,000 for hangover Tylenol pouches.

quote:

The caterer and the band weren’t given a schedule for the reception. Heel protectors (which keep stilettos from sinking into the grass) didn’t work. The hired dressers had no clue how to bustle a wedding gown. The brownie station was poorly lit and sparsely attended. The bride and groom’s dogs, which were in the wedding procession, were left out of the wedding photos. Weiss didn’t have a Plan B for rain, which started to fall just before the ceremony.

I believe we have behind the scenes footage from the caterer:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jumping back on the "Actually, it doesn't matter what you wear to a job interview" train... this is almost as bad as the Alice in Chains T-Shirt and Jorts.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That doesn't look real

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

George H.W. oval office posted:

That doesn't look real

Nah, I've seen rice krispie squares like that before.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jumping back on the "Actually, it doesn't matter what you wear to a job interview" train... this is almost as bad as the Alice in Chains T-Shirt and Jorts.

quote:

Best guess for this image: wear to a walmart interview

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

At $1000 for tylenol, that planner should be working in a hospital. :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ashcans posted:

At $1000 for tylenol, that planner should be working in a hospital. :v:
For 250 guests, when you have to get the actual Tylenol (trivial) but then put them in matching pouches and stuff, $1k seems actually fairly reasonable? It's one of those tiny fiddly things that has labor costs even though it's totally worthless.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Taking tylenol for a hangover (because you had too much alcohol) is BWM because of the cost of liver transplants.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It also doesn't work. O2, IV, electrolyte or, in a pinch, Gatorade.

And a subway sausage breakfast sub.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Blue Pedialyte and a McDonald's steak, egg, and cheese bagel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

monster on a stick posted:

Taking tylenol for a hangover (because you had too much alcohol) is BWM because of the cost of liver transplants.

True, but folks attending this wedding can probably hop the organ transplant line.

My favorite part is the bargaining chip of the wedding video being held hostage. Let it go, how many times are they really going to watch anyway?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

FrozenVent posted:

Biscuits and gravy

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

True, but folks attending this wedding can probably hop the organ transplant line.

My favorite part is the bargaining chip of the wedding video being held hostage. Let it go, how many times are they really going to watch anyway?

Especially since it doesn't even have the bride and groom's dogs on it.

Also Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken biscuit and OJ for hangover breakfast.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

An ice cold cola and Indian buffet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Friend of mine literally had his bride ride Taylor Swift's horse in his wedding.

It made a lot of sense when you saw the light show the poor horse had to endure.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Friend of mine literally had his bride ride Taylor Swift's horse in his wedding.

It made a lot of sense when you saw the light show the poor horse had to endure.

I've heard of bomb proofing, but light proofing just doesn't have the same oomph.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

pig slut lisa posted:

Here's a super dumb recommendation by Dave Ramsey for Nick in Cleveland to attack his credit card debt (rate never specified, but figure ~20% APR) by foregoing the instant 100% return he's currently getting through his 401(k) match.

are they vested? my job matches 50% but i'm only 25% vested rn, so if i had an apr >20% loan, retirement was a long way off, and i was gonna leave before my vesting increased, i could see how paying down the debt would make more sense?

then again i am not good with money

loving eat the rich

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Except that Chick-Fil-A discontinued the spicy chicken biscuit.

They can all go to gay hell now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lots of weddings and receptions are on Saturday, and Chick Fil A is closed on Sundays. And planning ahead just means microwaving a biscuit on Sunday morning and that's just not right.

Now planning ahead and having the wedding party spring for 200 Krystal sliders delivered at 11PM is a good way to head off the hangover at the pass. Does it taste good? Who cares, everyone who is eating is already drunk.

edit: I know several nurses who are good at starting IVs, and have thought about starting a business where they provide a mobile IV bus in college towns. I'm sure it's BWM and BW Nursing because the insurance costs would be through the roof and giving Broheim McTequilaShots an IV just so he can get his second wind and party even harder is just asking for a death by alcohol poisoning. Maybe if it was tied with Uber/Lyft/extant cab services that aren't poo poo where they get a ride home after the hangover is averted? The logo would be a sexy lady in Hot Nurse outfit, but the actual nurses are guys in their 30s with full beards and tattoo sleeves.

more edit: They may need EMS certification to administer treatment outside of the hospital / clinic. OBAMA!! :argh:

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 19, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

edit: I know several nurses who are good at starting IVs, and have thought about starting a business where they provide a mobile IV bus in college towns. I'm sure it's BWM and BW Nursing because the insurance costs would be through the roof and giving Broheim McTequilaShots an IV just so he can get his second wind and party even harder is just asking for a death by alcohol poisoning. Maybe if it was tied with Uber/Lyft/extant cab services that aren't poo poo where they get a ride home after the hangover is averted? The logo would be a sexy lady in Hot Nurse outfit, but the actual nurses are guys in their 30s with full beards and tattoo sleeves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hangover+IV&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You are too late.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Yeah, I know the idea is out there, we were just wondering about how hard it would be to set up said service.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does drinking two glasses of water before going to bed not work for everyone else?

Motronic posted:

You must be a lightweight.

I admit I don't drink to excess, but I have measured a night's work by the bottle.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 19, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

omnibobb posted:

Biscuits and gravy

Found the southern boy who knows the right answer.

(although we used to start IVs on each other back in my fire house bunk in days......it was always better to show back up before the next day's duty to get hooked up)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does drinking two glasses of water before going to bed not work for everyone else?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I chug like half a gallon of water just to be sure.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/601w3k/i_bought_a_car_5_months_ago_having_trouble/

Dude makes 1k.

His cat payments and insurance are $600.

He also has a beater he drives to work/school, but takes his new 350z when he "goes out"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

AA is for Quitters posted:

His cat payments and insurance are $600.

I assumed this was a case of another BWM cat cancer person as with the "help me open a bookstore" thread

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

poo poo, Axe's wife sets up one on this season of Billions.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Motronic posted:

Found the southern boy who knows the right answer.

(although we used to start IVs on each other back in my fire house bunk in days......it was always better to show back up before the next day's duty to get hooked up)

I'm from south Florida so not southern, I just know whats up.

And when we lived in the military dorms (medical) we'd sneak in the back way to the ER and have the fluids set up on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Fruit punch Powerade, Denny's Grand Slam with deluxe hash browns and carbonite-black coffee. And ibuprofen.

• Locked thread