Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Andromeda is not an awful game. The reviews paint it as not what we wanted but it has a good bit going for it. It's not like that Jurassic Park Trespasser game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That's fair, but I've still got both Witcher 3 DLC's to get through and I want to play Zelda. It can easily wait.

Honestly, I'll play it at some point, but I'm not jumping at the bit to play it tomorrow based on everything I'm hearing. I figured the reviews might make things seem better but so far, it's a definite wait for some patches and a sale kind of game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Andromeda for 30 bucks sounds rad though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah def. along with the added benefits of patches.

Also :lol:, nice name change.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cowboy elvis posted:

Andromeda is not an awful game. The reviews paint it as not what we wanted but it has a good bit going for it. It's not like that Jurassic Park Trespasser game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-msmx9yW5Q

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 20, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think the only thing that would drag me in on launch day would be if I felt some investment to the story, but I don't. From the little I've looked into it the story is basically: "ME2 just happened and the Reaper War is coming but nobody believes JesusThe Shepherd yet. But who the gently caress cares? MEANWHILE JUST FAR ENOUGH AWAY TO BE IMMUNE FROM THE REST OF THE PLOT: ALIEN FUCKFEST 5, THE LONG SLEEPOVER"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I appreciate that they wanted to tell a new story but they wrote themselves into a corner. ME:A should have been a new IP but lol can't stop the franchise train! Coming May 2021, the Mass Effect cinematic universe!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Coming May 2021, the Mass Effect cinematic universe!

It's funny how people still ask me why I stopped going to movie theaters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Andromeda would've been day one if it came with the ME trilogy remastered.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm just not overly concerned about some animation and poo poo because gamers are whiny and I'll be on PC so patches will be dropping left and right like every other PC game.

I also don't buy many games but I put some serious hours bit by bit in the ones I do.

So if you're someone who zim zams a game in a few days, yeah, I probably wouldn't buy the game day one. But for me I liked the Mass effect trilogy enough to preorder obviously, but not as concerned by glitches as I don't sit in front of the screen all day.

I'm not saying everyone must preorder!!!1! But I'll sit and play my alien bang reporter punch simulator for a few hours and come back in a day or 2, but if I'm supposed to not buy it as some sort of gamer boycott thing... Yeah, sorry, I'm just not that serious about playing video games.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

^^^I was about to type a Games style reply but then realized that arguing about video games is stupid and games with poo poo QA and tons of DLC and microtransactions will continue to be released whether we buy day one or not

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just play games dudes. If it turns out to be huge heap of poo poo that never gets fixed well, I just paid the idiot tax.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Other people playing games really grinds my gears.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

not caring here posted:

Just play games dudes. If it turns out to be huge heap of poo poo that never gets fixed well, I just paid the idiot tax.

Agreed. The whole "BAD FOR CONSUMERS!!" stance is irritating as hell to me. Reddit loves jumping to the argument that developers are lazy and hate people who buy their games. Bizarre entitlement if shot isn't working perfectly day 1.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

cowboy elvis posted:

Agreed. The whole "BAD FOR CONSUMERS!!" stance is irritating as hell to me. Reddit loves jumping to the argument that developers are lazy and hate people who buy their games. Bizarre entitlement if shot isn't working perfectly day 1.

I've never understood the whole entitled gamers thing. If I bought something else that had issues making it borderline unusable and noticeably less good than the previous model I'd rightfully be pissed off.
But eh. This most likely will be my last preorder for a long time anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's more that gamers are idiots with a lot of disposable income who will preorder games based on hype and franchise recognition, and the game companies know and exploit this. Basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

except with video games

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

In a way I'm glad it's shaping up to be mediocre. More time to Zelda it up (which in of itself isn't a perfect game - despite what the internet would have you believe)!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

I'm just not overly concerned about some animation and poo poo because gamers are whiny and I'll be on PC so patches will be dropping left and right like every other PC game.

I also don't buy many games but I put some serious hours bit by bit in the ones I do.

So if you're someone who zim zams a game in a few days, yeah, I probably wouldn't buy the game day one. But for me I liked the Mass effect trilogy enough to preorder obviously, but not as concerned by glitches as I don't sit in front of the screen all day.

I'm not saying everyone must preorder!!!1! But I'll sit and play my alien bang reporter punch simulator for a few hours and come back in a day or 2, but if I'm supposed to not buy it as some sort of gamer boycott thing... Yeah, sorry, I'm just not that serious about playing video games.

They're not going motion cap new animations and re record all the lines in a pc patch you dumbass

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

i would say what a bizarre argument, but then i realize its coming from a marketing guy ;)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i would say what a bizarre argument, but then i realize its coming from a marketing guy ;)

You have to know how to read his posts

cowboy elvis posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm still playing Ghost Recon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Here's my hot take but I find a lot of the people who lose their poo poo about people other people preordering or games not having perfect 60 fps frame rates are also usually the same people who want to talk about "ethics in game journalism".

Like, Mass Effect looks to be medicore and that kinda blows, but oh well. Life goes on. I'm not going to treat EA/Bioware with the same disdain or ire I would with a business that actually hosed up someone's life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fister Roboto posted:

It's more that gamers are idiots with a lot of disposable income who will preorder games based on hype and franchise recognition, and the game companies know and exploit this. Basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

except with video games

Basically why I ignore 90% of this thread's recommendations.

That said, I regret not buying the hype for Shadow of Mordor. Finally started it last night, and it's loving awesome.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Nier:A is pretty fun. Its thread in games is an unreadable mess of spoiler boxes though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

brand engager posted:

Nier:A is pretty fun. Its thread in games is an unreadable mess of spoiler boxes though.

That's every games thread. People are so skittish about "spoiling" anything that anything even tangentially related to the game are put in tags.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Pesticide20 posted:

You have to know how to read his posts

BUY ALL PRODUCTS AND LIKE EVERY BRAND ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hiwopf8Ls

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Same. The end of the El Pozolero mission sure was something.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Here's my hot take but I find a lot of the people who lose their poo poo about people other people preordering or games not having perfect 60 fps frame rates are also usually the same people who want to talk about "ethics in game journalism".

Like, Mass Effect looks to be medicore and that kinda blows, but oh well. Life goes on. I'm not going to treat EA/Bioware with the same disdain or ire I would with a business that actually hosed up someone's life.

lol ea / bioware does gently caress over peoples lives

like any of their programmers or artists that they fire routinely or pay poo poo

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm still playing Titanfall 2

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Third World Reggin posted:

lol ea / bioware does gently caress over peoples lives

like any of their programmers or artists that they fire routinely or pay poo poo

Apples and oranges comparison. poo poo like this is what I'm talking about,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/09/ea-voted-worst-company-in-america-again/#38417ff27aeb

lol if you think half the people losing their poo poo about endings in Mass Effect are as impassioned about workers rights at EA. Yeah, that poo poo sucks and it ruins lives, but it's not anywhere close to the same level as Wells Fargo loving someone out of their mortgage.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyway I'm super curious to hear how ME:A is now that it's out in the wild.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Handsome Ralph posted:

Apples and oranges comparison. poo poo like this is what I'm talking about,
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/04/09/ea-voted-worst-company-in-america-again/#38417ff27aeb

lol if you think half the people losing their poo poo about endings in Mass Effect are as impassioned about workers rights at EA. Yeah, that poo poo sucks and it ruins lives, but it's not anywhere close to the same level as Wells Fargo loving someone out of their mortgage.

Curt Schilling is way worse than EA if we're staying in the same industry.

Also trans-twitter getting hella salty at ME:A for having a trans character tell you she's trans. I mean, it's obvious pandering, but at the same time, what?

Proving once again, it isn't your political beliefs that make you the absolute loving worst, it's getting mad about videogames

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 20, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Curt Schilling is way worse than EA if we're staying in the same industry.

Don't even get me started on that bullshit. Had friends that worked at 38 Studios, as well as friends that worked in RI's state government when that poo poo went down. He most definitely hosed over the lives of many many people.

I guess I'll clarify, I made that post referring to businesses that have practices that actively gently caress over their customers lives and livelihoods, not solely their employees.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
i dunno

why bother to point that this poo poo has raisins in it but this poo poo has corn

they both can be poo poo without trying to get into dick measuring

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Same. The end of the El Pozolero mission sure was something.

Did you pick up the Kingslayer file of the phone conversation with his mom? hosed up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Andromeda described as a Mass Effect-themed reskin of DA:I is ehhhhh.

And the Ars Technica review I read delved into how batshit the crafting system and inventory are.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Third World Reggin posted:

i dunno

why bother to point that this poo poo has raisins in it but this poo poo has corn

they both can be poo poo without trying to get into dick measuring

:shrug:

Pointing out that "gamers" have a weird habit of overreacting to games being mediocre or not meeting their expectations and then treating it like it's the same thing as loving over someone's livelihood doesn't seem like dick measuring but ok I guess.

Gonna go play Witcher 3 DLC now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I get being mad at developers for making unplayable poo poo, things that crash a lot, are broken in some way to keep them from being completed by the player or are missing features advertised by the creator. If I got a brand new Ford Fusion and it broke down within 3 minutes of taking it off the lot, I would be pissed. If it couldn't make left hand turns, I'd be pissed, if it came with on 3 tires and the 4th required an extra fee to get, and would only be available during the first month if I pre-ordered the car, I'd be pissed and if the car came without windows at all and Ford sent me an email about "Something get cut at launch, maybe we'll patch it next year after we push the next 2 planned DLCs (Radio and Seatbelts)" I'd be pissed.

So I can see why so many gamers hate the companies who make their games. That said, getting mad at it past the consumer protection level seems kinda silly to me