Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mango sentinel posted:

IIRC Blade Pact DPR isn't actually that bad but the lack of anything else in the class (vampiric is too little too late) to facilitate being in melee makes it a tough sell compared to blast sniping.

You mean stuff like temp HP sources and melee-range damage reflect abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Plus you have to actually be in melee, which is dangerous and gross when you have warlock AC and HP.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

You mean stuff like temp HP sources and melee-range damage reflect abilities?

You need AC, DR, evasion, or ways to move in and out. Warlocks have a little bit of these but they're not enough, conditional, or at an opportunity cost.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
The discussion about how in old D&D Magic-Users were pretty much reliant on DM fiat for getting their spells made me think of a pretty dumb idea.

Since 3.5 the rules have assumed that Wizards simply add new spells into their spellbook every level. I don't know if it's because of spell research or doing a magic course by mail where each level they get sent in new spells, but in terms of old-school D&D Wizards are basically getting for free something that used to be random loot.

What if you did something like that with Fighters? Every couple of levels or so they get to choose one free piece of loot appropriate to their level. Like, at level 3 or something you might pick up your first +1 sword for free. As you get better + swords you can flavor it as your bond with your weapon becoming stronger and it unlocking new abilities.

I know this goes nowhere near resolving the imbalance between Fighters and Wizards in the game, but it might be a start. One of the things holding Fighters back is the fact that, more than any class, they are reliant on getting occasional upgrades to their gear, and the process is entirely up to DM fiat or random rolls on loot tables. Give the Fighter actual decision-making power with regards to what sort of items they're getting.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
No because only wizards can create magic items, it should be a wizard feature
:goonsay:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ratpick posted:

What if you did something like that with Fighters? Every couple of levels or so they get to choose one free piece of loot appropriate to their level. Like, at level 3 or something you might pick up your first +1 sword for free. As you get better + swords you can flavor it as your bond with your weapon becoming stronger and it unlocking new abilities.

I like this idea a lot, although rather than literally just having items materialize out of air, I'd have the players "find" the items in whatever room they're in. The same can also apply to wizard spells - doesn't hurt for the GM to say that have the wizard "found a book of new spells" in the room. Sure this might not make sense in all situations, but it makes more narrative sense than the current system.

After reading the last few pages of magic discussion, I think you could combine this idea with having the level-up-found fighter items have quasi-magical abilities. like, rather than "a better axe," the fighter could get "gloves that allow you to add an electrical charge to any attack, but require 5 turns cooldown" or something. If they get one of these per level, the wizard / fighter gameplay gulf could be cut down quite a bit - or at the very least, the fighter could end up with more fun options during combat.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mango sentinel posted:

You need AC, DR, evasion, or ways to move in and out. Warlocks have a little bit of these but they're not enough, conditional, or at an opportunity cost.

1 level fighter dip, AC issue solved.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

The latter wouldn't necessarily apply if "gets all the spells" wasn't an available class feature.
No. Even ignoring the complete lack of balance between "equivalent" monsters, there's very limited player agency outside of spells so there's nothing stopping you from e.g. ignoring the beefy dude and sending everything running straight at the squishies except for gentlemen's agreements. Ignore tactics, run the fights like an interactive play that the casters will occasionally choose to burn down.

Yeah as a DM this is what I find very frustrating. Its up to me to manage behavoirs for the monsters and I cant go all out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Barudak posted:

Yeah as a DM this is what I find very frustrating. Its up to me to manage behavoirs for the monsters and I cant go all out.

I usually go all-out and I haven't killed anyone yet. Give 1st-level PCs an extra 6 HP.

Ratpick posted:

I'd rather go full anime and let Martials do inherently supernatural poo poo. Like making weak opponents pass out (Sleep) by overwhelming them with killing intent.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That 5e Facebook group that was mentioned here earlier is amazing material.

A comment on a question about HP posted:

Ask your DM. Honestly you shouldn't be thinking about HP at all in character since it's a meta term.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Serperoth posted:

It's not exactly an incorrect statement to make. People don't walk around worrying about their hit points. If you get into a car accident and break your leg you don't get to drink a potion and presto it's fixed. Hit points are just a mechanic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serperoth posted:

He's not baseless in that thinking. There's a 3e spell that you're supposed to cast so your character can accurately know the hp and status of other party members. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/status.htm

METAGAMING IS TALKING TO OTHER PLAYERS

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I have a player that consistently yells "NO METAGAMING" when players try to strategize at the table during combat. He's only 50% joking.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
More options for wizards, muscle men / sneaky boys can gently caress off.

I've always wanted to make a mage killer fighter 2 / abjuration wizard, war magic could be good for that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arivia posted:

He's not baseless in that thinking. There's a 3e spell that you're supposed to cast so your character can accurately know the hp and status of other party members. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/status.htm

That's explicitly for knowing their status even when they're on the other side of the dungeon. Or the planet.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So new Unearthed Arcana is up, two Wizard traditions, one is the Theurge, or a retake on it. Looks fairly similar to a previous UA. The second is War Magic, which is kind of interesting. Though it definitely doesn't get the same feature as Evocation. That said at 14th level you could potentially be pulsing some damage to nearby enemies, so long as you are willing to forgo using anything other than cantrips for a round after Reaction improving your AC/Concentration Save.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yeah, you don't know the number IC, but between the "ask your DM", and the declaration that it's a meta term, as if that wouldn't be true about your stats, initiative, and so forth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

That's explicitly for knowing their status even when they're on the other side of the dungeon. Or the planet.

Or wherever. It still promotes the idea that you need to have a spell to know if other party members are wounded; you can't just ask them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Arivia posted:

Or wherever. It still promotes the idea that you need to have a spell to know if other party members are wounded; you can't just ask them.

That's not what it implies at all? It's a touch spell. If you get close enough to touch someone, of course you can tell whether they are wounded or dying.

The intended usage is "I want to jump in this lake and check the bottom." "Okay, let me cast Status on you so we'll know if something goes wrong."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Arcane High Priest
At 14th level, you gain your chosen domain’s 17th-level benefits.
Your academic nature and understanding of magic and doctrine allow you to master this ability sooner than a cleric of your domain.

:laffo:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nice of them to illustrate the point that was made a few pages ago.

Magic can do anything!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Vengarr posted:

Nice of them to illustrate the point that was made a few pages ago.

Magic can do anything!

Better than the classes that are supposed to be the best at it!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love that the flavor text is "your'e smart which means you can do this better than the experts". Nerds have a real complex about intelligence being the most important thing, I wonder why.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note this is the second take on the theurge

Also feel like I should point this out for all the people going on about the wizard and saying they should just long rest after the wizard uses it's best stuff.

quote:

A character can't benefit from more than one long rest in a 24-hour period, and a character must have at least 1 hit point at the start of the rest to gain its benefits.

The important part is the 24 hour thing.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note this is the second take on the theurge

Also feel like I should point this out for all the people going on about the wizard and saying they should just long rest after the wizard uses it's best stuff.

The important part is the 24 hour thing.

Which just means you need to tack on an extra (24 - however long ago you took your last rest) to get the effects.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Ratpick posted:

The discussion about how in old D&D Magic-Users were pretty much reliant on DM fiat for getting their spells made me think of a pretty dumb idea.

Since 3.5 the rules have assumed that Wizards simply add new spells into their spellbook every level. I don't know if it's because of spell research or doing a magic course by mail where each level they get sent in new spells, but in terms of old-school D&D Wizards are basically getting for free something that used to be random loot.

I know this goes nowhere near resolving the imbalance between Fighters and Wizards in the game, but it might be a start. One of the things holding Fighters back is the fact that, more than any class, they are reliant on getting occasional upgrades to their gear, and the process is entirely up to DM fiat or random rolls on loot tables. Give the Fighter actual decision-making power with regards to what sort of items they're getting.

This exact thing was discussed on the previous page :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Beens posted:

This exact thing was discussed on the previous page :)
The thing that gets me is that 5E introduced attunement and yet somehow they missed the obvious potential balancing option of giving martials more attunement slots than spellcasters. There's even a quick and easy verisimilitude explanation of not being able to add too much additional magic on top of their innate magical load or whatever.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I end every module by spraying my magical load all over the boss then passing out for eight hours.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

blastron posted:

I have a player that consistently yells "NO METAGAMING" when players try to strategize at the table during combat. He's only 50% joking.

I had a DM like this for a while and man it was annoying. I understand if you're frustrated that your players never seem to engage with the world beyond the game level - though honestly if that's what they want maybe you should either adjust your tone or quit - but seriously. If you don't let your players strategize at all at the table they just end up yelling at each other about sub-optimal play after the session is over.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mendrian posted:

I had a DM like this for a while and man it was annoying. I understand if you're frustrated that your players never seem to engage with the world beyond the game level - though honestly if that's what they want maybe you should either adjust your tone or quit - but seriously. If you don't let your players strategize at all at the table they just end up yelling at each other about sub-optimal play after the session is over.

I have a DM for Pathfinder that is fine with general strategy but blows up if you ask how hurt someone is. As if knowing if someone is at half health is different than 15/30 hp ( We just hit level 4 last round ).

I DM D&D 5e for the group right now ( Switching off to give him a break and let him play ) and I haven't bothered to squelch that poo poo at all, and they seem less frustrated to me. I do however note that I do not take note or even know what the HP of people are, so they know they have to be a little more on their toes at this point. They're about to take on the Orcs in SKT's opening next session, and they're fully aware I won't be holding back or meta-gaming myself on who is at what HP level.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So realistically how much do I damage the game balance if I introduce this weapon?

Gnomish Compound Crossbow

Loading, Range, Two-Handed
Range: 100/400
Weight: 9
Damage Type: Piercing
Item Type: Ranged Weapon
Damage: 1d10

Cost: 300 gp

Special: Disadvantage on Attack rolls if user is Medium or larger.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Razorwired posted:

So realistically how much do I damage the game balance if I introduce this weapon?

Not even remotely damaging. This might actually be the tamest homebrew I've ever seen.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Drowning Rabbit posted:

They're about to take on the Orcs in SKT's opening next session, and they're fully aware I won't be holding back or meta-gaming myself on who is at what HP level.

I've been playing with that idea, myself, lately. RAW, there's no instant death until a creature hits a player for 100% of their HP after they go past zero. Effectively, a level 4 PC with 30HP needs to take 60 damage before they're auto-dead. I've managed to knock one of my players to zero mid-fight because I wasn't paying attention to what their HP numbers were and it's become one of those nice little surprises for the DM. You don't effectively "control" that aspect of the game and don't know when it happens. Suddenly the players are scrambling to change tactics to get their fallen paladin back up and into the fight. It's fun. Having the intelligent humanoid knock them out with their first attack and take their second to give the fallen player a lovetap and a death save autofailure (especially after seeing someone fall and then get back up) feels like good DM gameplay. It frustrates the players a little bit, but gives them ample opportunity to respond and prioritize good tactics over letting someone run ahead into the fray and get themselves gibbed.

My players at level 9 are much more cautious and practice good tactical combat with me, whereas at level 4 and 5 they were sort of all over the place. It feels like character and party growth beyond just the numbers on their papers increasing.

It'll also be super important in the upcoming BBEG fight.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Razorwired posted:

Uhh, that's exactly the stats of a heavy crossbow, just fitted for small sized players (so half the item weight, as if anyone actually tracks that.)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So a friend of mine seems intent on running "Dark Souls of D&D!" I've tried to explain to him that his premise is flawed because in the whole point of Dark Souls is that eventually you manage to become skilled enough within the game's system to avoid dying instantly whereas in D&D you're always going to be subject to the whim of the d20 but he won't listen. I was trying to think of some practical advice for him on how to create a 'Dark Souls feel' in the actual mechanics (he's decent enough at world building and doesn't need any help there) but I don't know what I'd suggest unless he's willing to completely rewrite the system. I think what I would probably do is customize monsters to have lower AC and more HP, and do a ton of damage, but have exploitable weaknesses that, once known, make encounters significantly easier (or do the same with the environment).

Anybody tried anything like this?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Razorwired posted:

No problems whatsoever since it's identical to a regular heavy crossbow in every way that matters.

I'm assuming that the user-size restriction is there for theme?

E: Beaten while overthinking if it was the same stats or not.
e2: At that price it better come with sweet grip inlays or gold plated fittings or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 21, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mendrian posted:

So a friend of mine seems intent on running "Dark Souls of D&D!" I've tried to explain to him that his premise is flawed because in the whole point of Dark Souls is that eventually you manage to become skilled enough within the game's system to avoid dying instantly whereas in D&D you're always going to be subject to the whim of the d20 but he won't listen. I was trying to think of some practical advice for him on how to create a 'Dark Souls feel' in the actual mechanics (he's decent enough at world building and doesn't need any help there) but I don't know what I'd suggest unless he's willing to completely rewrite the system. I think what I would probably do is customize monsters to have lower AC and more HP, and do a ton of damage, but have exploitable weaknesses that, once known, make encounters significantly easier (or do the same with the environment).

Anybody tried anything like this?

He'd better have some sort of nameless one style respawn mechanism that somehow includes your items. Maybe the characters are permanent illusions and don't know that they are that ? (until they run into antimagic it wouldn't be a problem)

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

e2: At that price it better come with sweet grip inlays or gold plated fittings or something.

Made with rare gnomish bleebleweeps and fizzlezoks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Have there been any uncommonly huge/ancient/powerful faerie dragons? I know for the most part they're tiny and not that scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It'd be pretty easy to do: tweak the breath weapon and some descriptors and it'd work well.