Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cerepol posted:

Anyone hear anything about this "town sim" game

New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers?

Seems real weird and almost Anno ish.

Look the trailer up.

They got a speak n spell to voice it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Bloop posted:

Is the arena itself your primary target in Quake 3?

It's almost as if trying to force everything into an arbitrary premade genre box and judging it against the other things in that box is, like, dumb and bad.

It's almost like I made a bad joke on a dead gay comedy forum

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

There are only five levels in L4D
There were about 20 levels in L4D before any DLC

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Games that are good and well received can still have valid criticisms. You can't turn to "well it was still Good" and just write off any issue someone has with a game. This was like the #1 thing people complained about when Splatoon came out, both users and professional reviews. It's still a really good game and most of those people liked it. It feels fan boyish to say that actually it couldn't have done things any better because It Was Good.

I mean dude seriously you're saying something couldn't have been an issue because a game was popular. Really?

Absolutely they can have criticisms. I reject the thought process that it is "unacceptable" to launch a game with 5 maps, which is what started this whole tangent.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

There were about 20 levels in L4D before any DLC

Wait there were? I thought there was only No Mercy, Death Toll, Crash Course and Dead Air.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked that certain modes were locked behind the community acheiving certain benchmarks. I think that really helped keep people engaged.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Infinitum posted:

You mean like that overpriced Mario Tennis game they put out for the WiiU?

Well I'd certainly hope it would be a good Mario Tennis game!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

Wait there were? I thought there was only No Mercy, Death Toll, Crash Course and Dead Air.
Yeah but each one of those had 5 "maps" in it. They were split into 5 chapters.

e: Trying not to sound pedantic but the length of each of those campaigns was pretty significant, particularly playing Versus mode since you'd play each chapter twice.

Having said that I felt that the Splatoon launch was fine because of how the map rotation worked anyway. I quite enjoyed it since it gave you a chance to get used to the game mechanics without there being a billion maps to play on. I don't really like COD etc though, L4D was the last "shooter" I really enjoyed.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 20, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Cartoon Man posted:

This like saying Zelda Breath of the Wild is like Zelda Twilight Princess.

It kinda is, as in Twilight Princess was great and so is Breath of the Wild.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
For anyone who didn't play Splatoon and is playing the testfire, you'll probably be frustrated by the controls at first. I know I hated the gyro controls, but everyone kept talking about how amazing they are, so I used the single player campaign to get acclimated.

And seriously, those controls make the game. I can't play other shooters on consoles, but the gyro aiming just worked so drat good. Be prepared for a learning curve though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Absolutely they can have criticisms. I reject the thought process that it is "unacceptable" to launch a game with 5 maps, which is what started this whole tangent.

That's fair. But I reject the thought process that the biggest criticism brought against the game before and after its release wasn't "an issue" even if the game sold well :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bird Law posted:

For anyone who didn't play Splatoon and is playing the testfire, you'll probably be frustrated by the controls at first. I know I hated the gyro controls, but everyone kept talking about how amazing they are, so I used the single player campaign to get acclimated.

And seriously, those controls make the game. I can't play other shooters on consoles, but the gyro aiming just worked so drat good. Be prepared for a learning curve though.

Gyro aiming is the best, use the stick for large movements and then fine-tune with Gyro. Hopefully Breath of the Wild gives people enough practice at it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bird Law posted:

It's weird... when I tried Splatoon 2 last month, on the Handheld mode I wanted to use Gyro, but on the Pro Controller I found myself not using it that much.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah but each one of those had 5 "maps" in it. They were split into 5 chapters.

Oh of course. I forget about that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Astro7x posted:

It's weird... when I tried Splatoon 2 last month, on the Handheld mode I wanted to use Gyro, but on the Pro Controller I found myself not using it that much.

I think it's the disconnect from controller to TV screen. On Vita I loved doing gyro aiming for games like Uncharted because the controller and the screen were the same unit and I thought it felt a lot more intuitive out of the box, but I ended up disabling Breath of the Wild's gyro aiming after about 6 hours on the Pro controller.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I wish this thing had Miiverse. Or streetpass. It feels so bare.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I convinced myself that Has Been Heroes was coming out this week for some reason and now I'm disappointed.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

man nurse posted:

I wish this thing had Miiverse. Or streetpass. It feels so bare.

Virtual Console?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Splatoon was meant to be a brand new thing for Nintendo. Tons of maps would have costed tons of money for them and a big loss if the game wasn't successful so they released it with a few MP maps and singleplayer and built on it like mad when they realised the audience liked it.

Also a small handful of maps was actually a sorta good thing. it let you learn them much quicker and rotations let ones you liked happen more often.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

That's fair. But I reject the thought process that the biggest criticism brought against the game before and after its release wasn't "an issue" even if the game sold well :v:

Hah! Not a problem :) It just seems weird to me as it never felt light on content. With the opposition being the big thing at play and the map technically changing due to opening up the new playstyles, coupled with two new maps every few months, and the awesome single player that there was a ton of stuff in it. Compared to say, something like Titanfall which was praised for its gameplay but light on content and crashed and burned.

My argument is that if it really was light on content then surely it would have crashed and burned also.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I convinced myself that Has Been Heroes was coming out this week for some reason and now I'm disappointed.

It is

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I just thought it was funny that guy called it "a bigger evolution to shooters than TF2."

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

parallelodad posted:

No I mean who announced this and where. If you're going to post something like that you should have a link to the article.

lmbo you must be new to the nintendo switch thread

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

How many arenas does rocket league have? Never played it so curious.

But I mean. You don't play football on 15 field layouts. Same thing with Dota.

Not every game needs 40 poo poo maps and 3 that people play on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hows Blaster Master? I'm kind of tempted to get it but I've seen literally no one talk about it

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

Bird Law posted:

If you have a Steam Controller for your PC, you can also use these hybrid Gyro/Stick on some Steam games (eg. Tom Clancy's: The Division, GTA5) with the right controller-profile.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dizz posted:

Splatoon was meant to be a brand new thing for Nintendo. Tons of maps would have costed tons of money for them and a big loss if the game wasn't successful so they released it with a few MP maps and singleplayer and built on it like mad when they realised the audience liked it.

Also a small handful of maps was actually a sorta good thing. it let you learn them much quicker and rotations let ones you liked happen more often.

Actually most of those maps were ready at launch, and many of them were on the disc.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Norns posted:

But I mean. You don't play football on 15 field layouts. Same thing with Dota.

Not every game needs 40 poo poo maps and 3 that people play on.

That's a pretty good point considering how huge DOTA2 and LoL are. The maps for those are exactly the same every game, aren't they?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Well poo poo it's Monday, I thought it was still last week. Send help.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hows Blaster Master? I'm kind of tempted to get it but I've seen literally no one talk about it

people in here were talking about it a ton before the splatoonalypse, usually to say to buy it immediately because it's great.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fixes most of the problems the original game had. It's very good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have Blaster Master and it is excellent fun. I played the original on the NES a lot when younger and this feels like a great continuation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Hah! Not a problem :) It just seems weird to me as it never felt light on content. With the opposition being the big thing at play and the map technically changing due to opening up the new playstyles, coupled with two new maps every few months, and the awesome single player that there was a ton of stuff in it. Compared to say, something like Titanfall which was praised for its gameplay but light on content and crashed and burned.

My argument is that if it really was light on content then surely it would have crashed and burned also.

Yeah, I get it. Splatoon did succeed in spite of that but I can't help wondering if the game's already strong reputation would be even moreso if it had made a better first impression, especially since most reviews don't officially revisit the game 6 months later and update their impressions. The first game did well on a dying system but the second game is actually hugely important in helping establish the Switch's footprint. Even if it just took the game from an A+ to an A++, if that means just a few more sales or a few more people going from "I'm thinking about a Switch" to "I'm getting a Switch", that's good for Nintendo right now. The worst case scenario is someone who was intrigued by Splatoon, bought it, felt it was content light at launch, and decided it wasn't for them and never went back to it.

Edit: I personally didn't feel Splatoon was content light, but I don't have much gaming free time and I don't think people are lying when they say they felt it.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 20, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Infinitum posted:

Look the trailer up.

They got a speak n spell to voice it :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4fE_k5jkNM

"I would want to to ride that horse" :rolleyes:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Norns posted:

Before the Chaos Run update, there were multiple graphic variations of the same arena. Said update introduced a "non-standard" map called Wasteland, which was similar to standard arenas but was different enough (wider and more sloped) to require adjustments from normal play. Now, there are essentially four maps: Standard, Wasteland, Starbase Arc (giant octagon), and Neo-Tokyo (elevated edges), which was just removed from the game and will be returned in the form of, welp, a Standard arena.

There are a few non-Standard test maps, but no one really plays them.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Tender Bender posted:

Actually most of those maps were ready at launch, and many of them were on the disc.

Huh. Wonder why they weren't added in then, maybe the devs weren't fully satisfied with them?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks folks, gonna pick it up later then!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dizz posted:

Huh. Wonder why they weren't added in then, maybe the devs weren't fully satisfied with them?

At least one of the original maps, Urchin Underpass, was completely changed during the game's life, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to see how things panned out before unleashing new areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dizz posted:

They were intentionally staggered so people could get used to the maps and only had to learn so many. It also was to allow new players to have maps that old players wouldn't know giving them a chance to be good, or something.

• Locked thread