Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Stux posted:

overwatch did the exact same model yet managed to launch with a lot more content. you can try and make excuses for it but really its bizarre to defend releasing something for $60 with so little content. im not even saying the game is bad or anything! but 5 maps on launch is staggering and if any other company did that they would be rightly slaughtered for it. imagine the backlash if cod came out with 5 maps regardless of promising free content?

edit: ^ what old chestnut?

Overwatch launched with 12 maps and has added two in the year that it's been out.

Splatoon launched with 5 maps and added one within two days, another in a week, a third later that month and another 8 within a year.

It's not the exact same model at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

man nurse posted:

I wish this thing had Miiverse. Or streetpass. It feels so bare.

Same, but I can understand why they went for a barebones OS - it takes like three seconds to get from sleep mode back into gameplay, and in my experience at least it's rock stable. Streetpass would be really cool but would screw up sleep mode battery drain

No Miiverse is a loving disgrace though

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Holding off on being too mad about Miiverse being gone until we see what the online is going to look like. Hopefully there is some kind of replacement, they have to know how popular it is.

Do we have any idea when Wargroove or Overcooked are coming? I think those are the two indies my group is most excited for and there doesn't seem to be much info on the former at all, or updates on the switch port for the latter.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

Holding off on being too mad about Miiverse being gone until we see what the online is going to look like. Hopefully there is some kind of replacement, they have to know how popular it is.

Do we have any idea when Wargroove or Overcooked are coming? I think those are the two indies my group is most excited for and there doesn't seem to be much info on the former at all, or updates on the switch port for the latter.

I seem to recall Overcooked and Stardew Valley, which are two of my big picks, were listed along with Splatoon in the nebulous "summer 2017".

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Same, but I can understand why they went for a barebones OS - it takes like three seconds to get from sleep mode back into gameplay, and in my experience at least it's rock stable. Streetpass would be really cool but would screw up sleep mode battery drain

No Miiverse is a loving disgrace though

I do miss streetpass, but yeah that was murder on the 3DS battery. The switch is also bulkier. I only pack it when I know for sure I'll be playing on lunch, but I used to Cary my 3DS wherever just in case. I wonder if they plan to offload a similar idea to smartphones at some point in the future.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I seem to recall Overcooked and Stardew Valley, which are two of my big picks, were listed along with Splatoon in the nebulous "summer 2017".

I will also be 100% getting Stardew Valley, but that will mostly be when sitting at my desk using the switch as a 3rd monitor. One of my friends and I used to play Advance Wars with link cables running between our desks in school, so we will be diving into Wargroove hard. Overcooked is just going to be a good game night.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stux has an anime avatar. Why are you responding to him still? He sucks and Splatoon is cool.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let's try to keep the silly kiddy features off of my totally adult Nintendo console for once.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stux is an amime

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nephzinho posted:

What, have they gone out of their way to confirm it's never coming? :psyduck:

But yeah when I buy a Nintendo console I expect my fair share of quirky interweb services, what the gently caress Reggie

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

Overwatch launched with 12 maps and has added two in the year that it's been out.

Splatoon launched with 5 maps and added one within two days, another in a week, a third later that month and another 8 within a year.

It's not the exact same model at all.

Splatoon actually launched with 27 unique single player maps :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

I do miss streetpass, but yeah that was murder on the 3DS battery. The switch is also bulkier. I only pack it when I know for sure I'll be playing on lunch, but I used to Cary my 3DS wherever just in case. I wonder if they plan to offload a similar idea to smartphones at some point in the future.

Whoa an app where you streetpass other Switch owners through your phone and get the in game stuff whenever you use your Switch would own.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Takoluka posted:

Before the Chaos Run update, there were multiple graphic variations of the same arena. Said update introduced a "non-standard" map called Wasteland, which was similar to standard arenas but was different enough (wider and more sloped) to require adjustments from normal play. Now, there are essentially four maps: Standard, Wasteland, Starbase Arc (giant octagon), and Neo-Tokyo (elevated edges), which was just removed from the game and will be returned in the form of, welp, a Standard arena.

There are a few non-Standard test maps, but no one really plays them.

What's really galling about rocket league is that the first game, SSARPBC for short, had a whole bunch of maps at the beginning other than the standard arena, like the super awesome pirate ship and the half-donut and whatnot

deadwing posted:

Splatoon actually launched with 27 unique single player maps :colbert:

Actually some of those are multiplayer maps that got re-used for octoling battles so they're not unique! Owned!!!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

Actually some of those are multiplayer maps that got re-used for octoling battles so they're not unique! Owned!!!

:negative:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Norns posted:

Stux is an amime

splatoon is anime

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That anime you like? It's an anime.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What, have they gone out of their way to confirm it's never coming? :psyduck:

A lot of their answers about planned features or otherwise have been wishy washy, but they did flat out say that they're not going to be using Miiverse for Switch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well half of miiverse was drawing and it's hard to make an intricate drawing with your fingers so is it that surprising

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

an actual dog posted:

splatoon is anime

Your anime avatar is from a Very Good anime

Spellman
May 31, 2011

As fun as miiverse was, I don't think that laughing at cringy posts by 8 year olds was ever an intended part of their corporate image

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Does the Switch have apps for Youtube/Netflix/Hulu etc like the Wii U does? Because there's no way I'm switching out my Wii U for a Switch unless I get to keep watching netflix on my tv.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

UWBW posted:

Does the Switch have apps for Youtube/Netflix/Hulu etc like the Wii U does? Because there's no way I'm switching out my Wii U for a Switch unless I get to keep watching netflix on my tv.

No. Go get a Switch and play games on it like Zelda, Blaster Master, and soon to be goon game of the year Splatoon 2.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Everyone please just add Stux to your ignore list and move on with your lives, thanks in advance

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

UWBW posted:

Not yet, but they are most likely coming.. 'Soon'

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Infinitum posted:

Not yet, but they are most likely coming.. 'Soon'

On the day that's confirmed I'm gonna pony up my 299 and grab one. No use getting rid of what is arguably the best console media center just yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

UWBW posted:

On the day that's confirmed I'm gonna pony up my 299 and grab one. No use getting rid of what is arguably the best console media center just yet.

The WiiU is literally the worst console media center and all of its apps are slow and buggy as crap. Please by a real streaming device and don't use consoles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think the Amazon Video app on the WiiU is one of the better ones out there, but that's competing with other terrible Amazon UIs, so it's still not great.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can you make the screen on the wii u gamepad turn off when watching prime video?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

parallelodad posted:

The WiiU is literally the worst console media center and all of its apps are slow and buggy as crap. Please by a real streaming device and don't use consoles.

It hardlocked my WiiU literally every time I exited it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Takoluka posted:

Rocket League only had 1 map at launch. Turns out people will gladly play in the same box over and over again for hours if it's actually fun to do so!

Pretty much the only map I ever played in TFC was Dustbowl but I would do that for hours at a time, for months and years. Maybe a little Murderball now and then or occasionally something else, but if TFC had been Dustbowl only I would've been quite happy with it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I remember the thing that put me over the edge on a Wii U was being at a friends house and they could navigate netflix with the touch screen..

But then 3D World came out so it was okay

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

parallelodad posted:

If you want a good media box, get an Xbox one. It might have lame games but it's great for media consumption.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked splatoon a lot but I also don't pretend it was a great bargain.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Empress Brosephine posted:

I don't have to: I bought the Wii U because of it. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Limited Run Games, a small publisher who does limited production runs of typically digital-exclusive games, is hoping to have something for Switch by the Summer. Might be cool to have a physical Blaster Master Zero cart or something?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

I also don't pretend the sun is hot

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you want a good media box, get an Xbox one. It might have lame games but it's great for media consumption.

Just buy a chrome cast for like twenty bucks or whatever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
e;wrong thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
look at them arms characters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cx6oOYgRY

with a very cheerful announcer

Adbot