Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I've heard, Taro went the opposite route in telling completionists this time around by making it so you can buy all the trophies you missed at the end of the game thus rendering them meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

From what I've heard, Taro went the opposite route in telling completionists this time around by making it so you can buy all the trophies you missed at the end of the game thus rendering them meaningless

Its the cleverest part of the game, yeah. Especially coupled with the true finale.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

Looking forward to playing Shadowrun for the first time this evening even though I haven't finished making my character lol.

Tabletop or video game?

Harrow posted:

My knee got messed up by some icy stairs and now I need physical therapy but otherwise I'm doing okay :v: I still can't stop playing Zelda even though I finished the main story and found most of the shrines because it is really super good.

How are you today, FirstAidKite?

I'm sorry to hear about your knee. Please, get well soon! Hopefully the therapy isn't too much of an issue!

And in response to your question, "meh." I'm slightly better than I've normally been but I'm still just sorta...here. I dunno if that makes any sense. Basically my brain's all fucky cause depression/anxiety/ptsd/other poo poo so I'm doing about as well as I can do given the circumstances.

Mak0rz posted:

I stayed up too late and now I'm tired as hell, and have to teach a class today. Oh well it's pollination syndromes which is related to what I did my masters in so I can handle it with my eyes closed.

I'm also waiting patiently for the Turok 2 patch so I can get on with the game, but I'll have to wait until tonight.

Good luck with your class, hopefully the lack of sleep doesn't cause you too much trouble!

I still need to play the first Turok. I haven't touched it since I rented it once on the n64 and I barely remember anything about it and I have it installed but I just haven't been in the mood to play an FPS.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Part of me misses my highschool days where I had all the time in the world to master games. I think I put like 200 hours into Tales of Symphonia grinding Genus to level 160-ish so I could beat the battle arena gauntlet with him and get his best weapon.

I actually really want to play the postgame stuff from Berseria, but I can't tear myself away from BotW. And I know when that's done I'm going to want to actually play Nioh instead of just barely finishing the first map, and then Nier, and then Yakuza 0, and then I should probably go back and finish The Last Guardian, World of Final Fantasy... god drat it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is Night in the Woods one of those games where my responses are subtly affecting the world state in ways I'm unaware of, or am I mostly just down for the ride?

It's a good story so far but hella depressing, as expected.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Good luck with your class, hopefully the lack of sleep doesn't cause you too much trouble!

I still need to play the first Turok. I haven't touched it since I rented it once on the n64 and I barely remember anything about it and I have it installed but I just haven't been in the mood to play an FPS.

Eh, I've had worse. I was running on two hours of sleep during my thesis defense. This is child's play.

Turok was one of my favorite games on the N64. I still prefer to play it on the original console but it's nice to finally have a PC port of it that isn't terrible. Turok 2 on the other hand was nearly unplayable on original hardware so when this remaster dropped I was stoked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Does the Turok 2 remaster come with remixed instrumentation as well or is it just the same MIDIs pulled from the N64 cart? Just wanna hear that Port of Adia track again.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

Does the Turok 2 remaster come with remixed instrumentation as well or is it just the same MIDIs pulled from the N64 cart? Just wanna hear that Port of Adia track again.

It has the original N64 music as well as the music from the first PC port, which had higher quality instruments.

Dismissing it as "just MIDIs" is doing it a disservice, though. Listen to this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObzyVBobrg&t=110s

The PC soundtrack version has better sounding samples, but many of the songs were unfortunately cut short because it was redbook audio like so many PC game soundtracks of the era and they had to save disc space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLMuvVQg54&t=50s

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope ME Andromeda turns out okay for all of you who pre-ordered. I'm bummed that it looks so janky. I really wanted it to be good.

FirstAidKite posted:

And in response to your question, "meh." I'm slightly better than I've normally been but I'm sorta...here. I dunno if that makes any sense. Basically my brain's all fucky cause depression/anxiety/ptsd/other poo poo so I'm doing about as well as I can do given the circumstances.

That does make sense to me. I hope everything's okay. You're always a bright spot in these chat threads.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Tabletop or video game?

TT.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The real reason to play completionist though is to unlock the final secret boss fight against Emil clones

I'm just going to do that and call it quits instead of trophy hunting

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Everything ive heard about neir Automata makes me hate it even more

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's me, marga mon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo that owns

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Why?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
He has extremely poo poo taste

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It just sounds like lol monkey cheese anime nonsense with boring gameplay and boring environments

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

fridge corn posted:

It just sounds like lol monkey cheese anime nonsense with boring gameplay and boring environments

Have you played a single PlatinumGames title in your life. Their games are usually the furthest thing from "boring"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Well, you absolutely nailed it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

tap my mountain posted:

He has extremely poo poo taste
Checks out.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fridge corn posted:

Well it's not. The environments certainly aren't Horizon: Zero Dawn caliber but they're interesting enough. The story is weird but distinct and I want to see where it goes which is better than most video game stories. The combat is easier then most Platinum character action games but it's very tight and enjoyable. I had a boss fight that rolled out a lot of fun one-off mechanics that I enjoyed.

It's not monkey cheese at all, in fact I'm pretty sure that it's one of those stories you're supposed to look back on after some critical bit of info has been "unlocked" and realize that the answer was right there in front of you the whole time (no spoilers, please - genuinely enjoying this game's weirdness)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up making a printed version of the rulebook because flipping through the in-game one was holding me back. I also ended up memorizing all the city names

If you look at the community guides on Steam somebody made a desktop wallpaper that has all the information from the rulebook neatly organized with a space in the middle for the game window to go. It helps make up for some of the interface kludginess without feeling outright unfair.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

fridge corn posted:

You got all these words, but you managed to put them together in a way that makes no sense at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'monkey cheese' and 'anime' are goon code for 'anything that shows the slightest amount of originality and personality'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I call something "anime" as a compliment, like it's over-the-top in a way that I consider to be very entertaining, so I hope no other goons have taken that as me disparaging that thing :ohdear:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anime can have both negative and positive connotations depending on the context. The Wizard from Diablo 3 for instance is extremely anime and also very good, whereas playing through the opening minutes of Xenosaga Ep. 1 as a teenager made me think "hm, anime" in a not so favorable way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
6 hours into Final Fantasy XV. What's the deal with fishing? I've had one spot to fish in, my bros are leveling up their stupid hobbies every day and I'm just a lovely fishing enthusiast.

Is there even a benefit to fishing, like Blitzball with Wakka?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Endorph posted:

'monkey cheese' and 'anime' are goon code for 'anything that shows the slightest amount of originality and personality'

tsundere is not a personality

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Endorph posted:

really because i generally use anime as shorthand for "800 year old dragons that look like prepubescent girls"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

really because i generally use it as shorthand for "800 year old dragons that look like prepubescent girls"

pretty weird of you imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

really because i generally use anime as shorthand for "800 year old dragons that look like prepubescent girls"

Magical children are the worst trope in all anime, and video games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I use it to refer to an artstyle that most of the games you enjoy actually employ.

Stop referring to tropes as anime. It's so loving bizarre.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anime is not a genre. It is a medium.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I use it to refer to an artstyle that most of the games you enjoy actually employ.

Stop referring to tropes as anime. It's so loving bizarre.

it's not really that bizarre, it's pretty convenient actually

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it makes no sense and drives me crazy, personally.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Anime is not a genre. It is a medium.

in my opinion anime is well done

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Anime is a state of mind.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's me, marga mon

This looks pretty dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

it makes no sense and drives me crazy, personally.

It's really quite simple. People use "anime" not to describe merely an art style but a set of conventions that are common to the genre. Like if a character in a video game suddenly gets flaming SSJ hair and throws a hadouken, or is revealed to be a 1,000 year old magical child, I can think "anime" even if it's not explicitly in that art style. Words have versatile definitions and the only certainty of life is that a hot dog is NOT a sandwich, it's just a hot dog and even 5-year olds can understand this.

• Locked thread