Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I know when you're talking about modern alternate art for cards from the early 00s that the chances of it being an actual upgrade go down, but it's still pretty funny how the first two alt arts in that article are way dumber than their originals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The crew and I are getting hyped for GP San Antonio and decided to see the sure to be terrible Ghost in the shell the friday before. I go to book our tickets today and notice that every ticket for that day is sold out already. loving nerds.

Boss baby is already sold out as well and that is just as sad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

The crew and I are getting hyped for GP San Antonio and decided to see the sure to be terrible Ghost in the shell the friday before. I go to book our tickets today and notice that every ticket for that day is sold out already. loving nerds.

If that movie does well we are going to see a glut of terrible anime adaptations

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Local stores are trying to do the Baltimore-Style split format team constructed. I can get behind that.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I hope return to kamigawa is an anime set staring Scarlett Johansson.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm really digging the ZoZu art though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Local stores are trying to do the Baltimore-Style split format team constructed. I can get behind that.

Not going to lie, the multiformat team thing looks fun as gently caress and the folks who I know who have gone said it was great. It does require knowing someone who wants to play legacy though and that seems harder to do than figuring out who is wanting to play standard.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BJPaskoff posted:

I knew when I saw the hotly sought after Lovisa Coldeyes was a marquee card that nothing of value would be in these decks. They look interesting to play I guess, but there isn't much in them.

Beacon of tomorrows and Coat of Arms are $8 cards
Rift bolts are $2 each (x3)

You'll easily be getting more than your $20 MSRP from the box, even as prices drop, this is still miles above some of the stinker Duel Decks we've gotten recently.

If WOTC hasn't been explicit with it, I feel like this is an experiment for Duel Decks going forward as another avenue to do a little bit of reprinting for eternal formats/commander rather than the weird space of "Next Standard block theme hype train with preview card" that we were getting for a while. We get a couple cards with decent value and some decks that have more complex play to them than we normally see from this kind of product.

I want this to succeed beyond wotc's wildest intentions so they continue.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 20, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Pyronic posted:

Beacon of tomorrows and Coat of Arms are $8 cards
Rift bolts are $2 each (x3)

You'll easily be getting more than your $20 MSRP from the box, even as prices drop, this is still miles above some of the stinker Duel Decks we've gotten recently.

If WOTC hasn't been explicit with it, I feel like this is an experiment for Duel Decks going forward as another avenue to do a little bit of reprinting for eternal formats/commander rather than the weird space of "Next Standard block theme hype train with preview card" that we were getting for a while. We get a couple cards with decent value and some decks that have more complex play to them than we normally see from this kind of product.

I want this to succeed beyond wotc's wildest intentions so they continue.

I like these decks and I hope that Wizards was telling the truth when they said that they're evenly matched. I do think it's weird that the 'control' deck plays 24 lands and the 'beatdown' deck plays 25 lands.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Since this weekend is GP Orlando where it's Sealed how do they monitor all the players to make sure nobody is cheating and adding cards they didn't pull from packs. I feel like it's a silly thing to ask but it's Magic and obviously it's a game known for people who will do anything to cheat and get an advance so how do they handle something like this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Since this weekend is GP Orlando where it's Sealed how do they monitor all the players to make sure nobody is cheating and adding cards they didn't pull from packs. I feel like it's a silly thing to ask but it's Magic and obviously it's a game known for people who will do anything to cheat and get an advance so how do they handle something like this?

Its a shaky system of another person opens packs, registers it, and then passes it to the next person. Seems like a logistical nightmare at big events.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 20, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I thought you opened your own packs these days because they were tired of people dropping after opening $$$.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its a shaky system of another person opens packs, registers it, and then passes it to the next person. Seems like a logistical nightmare at big events.

You open your own packs while the player across from you watches you, then you pass the cards to that player who registers your pool. Then you get your cards back and register your decklist.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You open your packs in front of the person sitting across from you. Then you give those cards to that person, and they record them on your sheet in the column marked total. Then they give you the sheet and your cards back, and you do the same for them. The cards you open are yours.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Make sure people aren't hiding packs up their sleeves.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Ignore the posts above this one because what actually happens is you show up and they hand you 6 pre-opened packs of cards with a checklist of all the cards in your pool already registered, and you build your deck.

GP Orlando FAQ:

quote:

Our Show Up & Play! experience incorporates the Sleep-In Special service that we've previously offered separately and now offers all Main Event participants the opportunity to construct their Sealed decks shortly before their first scheduled round of play.

Beginning at 8am on Saturday, Main Event participants simply report to the Show Up & Play! stations next to the Main Event stage to receive your preregistered Sealed pool and be seated for deck construction. Once seated, you will have five (5) minutes to verify the contents of your preregistered Sealed pool, then thirty (30) minutes to construct the Sealed deck you'll be using to compete in the Main Event.

Note: All cards not used in your main deck will be considered your sideboard. Your deck must match the registered configuration for the first game of each match.

Round One begins promptly at 10am.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

St0rmD posted:

Ignore the posts above this one because what actually happens is you show up and they hand you 6 pre-opened packs of cards with a checklist of all the cards in your pool already registered, and you build your deck.

GP Orlando FAQ:

Well isn't that amazing. I can't imagine the amount of time it took to register that many sealed pools.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sickening posted:

Well isn't that amazing. I can't imagine the amount of time it took to register that many sealed pools.

I'm guessing they use some sort of phone app to image-capture the cards and spit out a list.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

St0rmD posted:

I'm guessing they use some sort of phone app to image-capture the cards and spit out a list.

For that many cards though? Is this a real thing?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

St0rmD posted:

nope, judges do it all by hand
source: I've done it all by hand a shitload of times

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

Sickening posted:

For that many cards though? Is this a real thing?

There are apps that can recognize cards and create a list. Decked Builder is one. Probably doesn't export a format exactly how they'd want it for a GP though. I can't imagine it would be very hard for SCG to make an app for this.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

But of course. That sucks.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 20, 2017

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Laying out a bunch of cards and taking a decent picture of them all on a smartphone would be way more miserable than thumbing through the footers and reading the collector numbers to a scribe.

The way to technologize it would be with those tiny sheet-fed business card scanners.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Do they pay you for this, or is this one of those things you're meant to do because it's just so much fun?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Do they pay you for this, or is this one of those things you're meant to do because it's just so much fun?

ahahahahaha

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Also gettin' hype for GPSA, it'll be my first competitive-level event since Conflux was the most recent set. What are you guys running for it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Also gettin' hype for GPSA, it'll be my first competitive-level event since Conflux was the most recent set. What are you guys running for it?

Fish/ad naus/Death shadow. Might change though as all these more affordable cards are making people have modern fever. The venue has a pretty nice concentration of good stuff around it. This and vegas should be a blast this year.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Man, those Duel Decks lists...

In about a year from now, on the Mothership: "We've decided to discontinue the Duel Decks product line, because it's not selling very well, and we here at WotC have absolutely no loving clue why that might be the case. However, we suspect it's your fault."

Jenx fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 20, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sit on my Facebook posted:

Have fun in my home town.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jenx posted:

Man, those Duel Decks lists...

In about a year from now, on the Mothership: "We've decided to discontinue the Duel Decks product line, because it's not selling very well, and we here at WotC have absolutely no loving clue why that might be the case. However, we suspect it's your fault."

Have they just decided to replace the planeswalker ones with the new intro decks? If so, I wouldn't bet on Duel Decks having a bright future ahead of them.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Have they just decided to replace the planeswalker ones with the new intro decks? If so, I wouldn't bet on Duel Decks having a bright future ahead of them.

No

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They've only been making Planeswalker Decks since Kaladesh, what're you on about?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

They've only been making Planeswalker Decks since Kaladesh, what're you on about?

Half the duel decks were "planeswalker X vs. Planeswalker Y." If they feel like the PW decks are the right avenue to do that type of product, then I could see them just doing the non-PW ones, but I guess we'll see when the next one is announced.

I mean, functionally the new PW decks are pretty close to what the PW Duel Decks look like, only with a narrower set scope.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, I got confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Judging by all the precon decks WotC has printed over the years, I'd imagine they'd keep Duel Decks hanging around in some form for the "smart casual" crowd that doesn't buy boosters but still wants to play with their friends. Planeswalker decks are intro products and Commander is weird, so there ought to be a niche.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have to say, a lovely suspend storm combo deck is a new direction for wotc to take with Duel Decks

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

Oh, I got confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Judging by all the precon decks WotC has printed over the years, I'd imagine they'd keep Duel Decks hanging around in some form for the "smart casual" crowd that doesn't buy boosters but still wants to play with their friends. Planeswalker decks are intro products and Commander is weird, so there ought to be a niche.

Yeah I like the PW Duel Decks but the others are much more miss than hit. I think being able to print new PW-specific cards for the new PW decks gives them a huge advantage in terms of playability, though.

Elyv posted:

I have to say, a lovely suspend storm combo deck is a new direction for wotc to take with Duel Decks

yeah that poo poo makes no sense.

Realtalk though, I'd strongly consider playing in a dueldeck constructed format. By that I mean, following their general rarity guidelines. My friends and I played around with dueldeck like deck construction (3 rares, 13 uncommon limit), and it's a pretty fun format to play with. Led to us creating a bunch of internally-balanced decks that we now break out when we want to get in some quick games. Most are based on a theme (we have one deck for every 2-color guild, for example).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheChirurgeon posted:

Half the duel decks were "planeswalker X vs. Planeswalker Y." If they feel like the PW decks are the right avenue to do that type of product, then I could see them just doing the non-PW ones, but I guess we'll see when the next one is announced.

I mean, functionally the new PW decks are pretty close to what the PW Duel Decks look like, only with a narrower set scope.

Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis was released last autumn. They do the planewalker-themed Duel Decks in autumn and have been for the last five years. There's been a planeswalker-themed duel deck every year since they started doing them once per year.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis was released last autumn. They do the planewalker-themed Duel Decks in autumn and have been for the last five years.

Yeah, but wasn't it announced before they announced the PW intro decks? Seems like it's not a big stretch to imagine that one part of WotC wasn't consulting the other but hey I hope I'm wrong so whatever

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Realtalk though, I'd strongly consider playing in a dueldeck constructed format. By that I mean, following their general rarity guidelines. My friends and I played around with dueldeck like deck construction (3 rares, 13 uncommon limit), and it's a pretty fun format to play with. Led to us creating a bunch of internally-balanced decks that we now break out when we want to get in some quick games. Most are based on a theme (we have one deck for every 2-color guild, for example).
My VtES playgroup did something similar to allow new people to "buy in" with a precon starter without getting dunked by decks with a million rares. It was actually pretty nice, particularly since the game hasn't been in print in ages.

You could make faux-Planeswalker decks with a planeswalker, four rares and 17 uncommons, plus a playset of taplands.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

My VtES playgroup did something similar to allow new people to "buy in" with a precon starter without getting dunked by decks with a million rares. It was actually pretty nice, particularly since the game hasn't been in print in ages.

You could make faux-Planeswalker decks with a planeswalker, four rares and 17 uncommons, plus a playset of taplands.

Yeah, that's generally what we've done--the set of decks is pretty large now. I should also point out that we tend to max out at 2 copies of a given nonland card as well. Prevents the decks from getting too consistent, which means more diverse games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Count Bleck posted:

I'm really digging the ZoZu art though.

Look at the artist. They picked the best possible goblin artist for it.

• Locked thread