Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

So I finished Ending E last week, and after taking some time to let that all simmer in my head I've already started up my second fresh playthrough. I wanted to get my thoughts down about this game because it's definitely become the most important game experience for me since the first Nier, so obviously spoilers for everything in the series ever.

Personal note, I've dealt with depression and still face a staggering difficulty asking others for help with anything; part of why I solo pretty much any game I play with multiplayer options, like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. It's made a lot of things in life harder than they should be, but it's something I work toward resolving. Ending E was incredibly striking for me, even more so than the impact of ending D in Nier; there, Nier made the decision to erase his entire existence to help someone he'd been through so much with and seen suffer so much, even though she wouldn't possibly know it.

In Automata, though, I'm faced with a decision that I personally made, not one that I'm emulating through a digital avatar. I am not satisfied with 2B, 9S, and A2 suffering and sacrificing themselves in an unfair world of meaningless action, so gently caress you, developers, and gently caress you, Yoko Taro, I'm going to fight for something better.

And it's loving hard. It's as overwhelming a task as any of those three characters trying to, on their own, overcome the Terminals or YoRHa. I held out pretty well until a few lines past Square Enix, and by then, even with my lifelong familiarity with shmups, I couldn't get through without dying over and over again. I got asked if I want to give up, if I admit defeat, if I admit that there's no meaning to this world, all poo poo I've asked myself more than a few times, and I said no every single time.

It's difficult to describe how impactful it was to see that some random player offered me help, and when I accepted it, to see so many others crowd around me and power through the rest of the credits to the backing of a song that was so incredibly perfect for what was going on. It's all about one person's wish to do support everyone and better the world, but being completely incapable of doing so because she's just one person...but everyone is saying that. And with everyone getting behind that one goal, something insurmountable becomes doable, even if you lose a few along the way. When it asked me if I wanted to delete all of my progress and work so I could give someone else that experience of having someone behind them, cheering them on and giving them strength, I didn't hesitate to say yes. I don't care if it's someone I hate; I don't care if they think I'm showing off so I can pat myself on the back for being a cool guy. I think everyone needs to have that feeling.

Even then, you're not given a happy ending, but you've given 2B, 9S, and A2 a chance. They may just fall apart like they all did before, they know everything that happened and everything they've been through, but YoRHa is gone and the machines are gone, so maybe, just maybe, they can make something better out of it. The last words in that cutscene are "A future is not given to you. It is something you must take for yourself." and I don't think the game could have ended any better way.

It wouldn't have been nearly as effective at any other point, either. You've gone through four playthroughs where things simply cannot end well, and where you see exactly how everything falls apart. Like 9S keeps getting told, everyone's purpose in life, every struggle, every conflict, every moment of suffering, all of it is completely and utterly meaningless, because it's probably happened dozens of times over in one way or another. Some sparks of change show up here and there that may be relevant far in the future, but nothing that would ever matter for the lifetimes of these particular characters. But with the work and sacrifice of so many players around the world, maybe they'll have that opportunity to make all that worth something for themselves.

I really feel like, in the end, Automata is about trying to find meaning and hope where it seems impossible to do so. I haven't seen a game say something so real and poignant without trying to beat me over the head with it, instead making it all obvious through raw emotion and context.

gently caress, no-spoils time, it absolutely feels like everyone that was a part of this knew they were involved in something special, and gave it as much care and love as they could. I've been trying to think of something that I really dislike about this game or something that disappointed me, but after going through everything all I can think of are inconsequential little bugs or performance issues. I'm in my second playthrough, trying to get all the sidequests and the stuff I missed, and everything feels even stronger with what I know now.

This game has no reason to exist, and I'm so happy that it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat im just getting to pascals village in B route and theres a ton of extra poo poo.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

RanKizama posted:

Oh, good deal. Thanks for clarifying!

So...

What's the point of deleting your data then?

You'll understand when you get to that point. It's not required, but it has a reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

So I finished Ending E last week,
[snipped because it's just a little up there]

This was really cool to read so thanks for sharing. I agree entirely too.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Cephas posted:

You'll understand when you get to that point. It's not required, but it has a reason.

Has anyone actually gotten the 'help' they mentioned? What would it be, like a game over screen with a "but xxxSephiroth69xxxx gave up his save so you can have another try"?

And for that matter, does praying for corpses do anything at all? I don't think I remember getting any messages saying someone had prayed for me and I died a ton.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

Once again, for everyone playing this on PC: A mod was released yesterday which fixes the fullscreen resolution bug currently affecting the game. I've written up a fairly detailed post about it on Reddit, which details what the bug is, how to install the fix, and how to deal with the most common problems that people are having with regards to getting it running. Click here for the deets.

I also put together a comparison gallery, to give you an idea of how the game looks before and after applying the mod (no spoilers, only screens from the first 10 minutes of the game): Linky

This was really easy to install and the visual difference at 1080p is amazing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Has anyone actually gotten the 'help' they mentioned? What would it be, like a game over screen with a "but xxxSephiroth69xxxx gave up his save so you can have another try"?

And for that matter, does praying for corpses do anything at all? I don't think I remember getting any messages saying someone had prayed for me and I died a ton.

Ending E.
The help is the extra ships around yours during the ending, so yeah, everyone gets that help.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Praying heals the person you're praying for. I think since the chip pickups are just a temporary boost and the repaired androids aren't super helpful, not a lot of people have been doing that. I try to pray for most of the bodies I come across; it helps that you get some cash for retrieving, too, even if it's only a bit. It adds up.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Ending E spoilers:

I really love it when a game comes together at the end. Hope you guys left suitably inspiring messages.
It's very Yoko Taro to have a bunch of complaining options in there.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

HellCopter posted:

Ending E spoilers:

I really love it when a game comes together at the end. Hope you guys left suitably inspiring messages.
It's very Yoko Taro to have a bunch of complaining options in there.

The real world is naught but hardship. But, the whole world is rooting for you.

I saw at least one person when I was trying to clear that ending that made sure to start with "lovely world, lovely game!" I'm glad someone bought in. With all the poo poo-talking options I'm kind of amazed I didn't see anyone yet telling me how garbage I am. Says something about the strength of the game and the kind of people who get that far, I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yay! Just got ending A. Pretty strong finish. I would have enjoyed my first run a lot more if I had just ignored sidequests, I think. All of the main story setpieces and bossfights were pretty cool.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Squidtentacle posted:

The real world is naught but hardship. But, the whole world is rooting for you.

I saw at least one person when I was trying to clear that ending that made sure to start with "lovely world, lovely game!" I'm glad someone bought in. With all the poo poo-talking options I'm kind of amazed I didn't see anyone yet telling me how garbage I am. Says something about the strength of the game and the kind of people who get that far, I guess.

I was so touched that I felt obligated to say something sincerely encouraging.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hahahaha ending G fuckin lol

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
A dozen loops and Emil is still not selling me the weapons. Come on Emil I love you but you're making this difficult

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wanted to see all the content in the game but trying to get Emil to sell me weapons made me move on

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he has to be near the resistance camp, doesn't he?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
meanwhile Emil sold me his weapons the second time I met him. :shobon:

(they *are* very good, fwiw)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

he has to be near the resistance camp, doesn't he?

Whenever I catch him on that route he just sells level 6 chips

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I got the weapons when I caught him playing music at like 2x speed on the way past the ruined Engels. Maybe hang out there?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Maybe I need to be on the A-route or something because I can get him to spawn with the regular chips, the materials and the souped up chips but he just never ever sells the weapons. Oh well I'm willing to keep trying since I have weapon completion at like 95% or something.

The plan is to do Emil's Determination and then delete my file

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Maybe I need to be on the A-route or something because I can get him to spawn with the regular chips, the materials and the souped up chips but he just never ever sells the weapons. Oh well I'm willing to keep trying since I have weapon completion at like 95% or something.

The plan is to do Emil's Determination and then delete my file

You can get them whenever, you're just having terrible luck, it seems.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I do like the strict requirement for unlocking the quest though. It's like Taro going "So you loved Nier and wanna see this story to the end? Well earn it and do the same collection nightmare as in that game."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Yorhas betrayers quest really doesn't want me to do it, because I keep checking those spots for anything but there's nothing. I looked before I did the forest, and now I just finished it and they're still not there. Am I screwing something up?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who knows, I gave up and finished the story. Spent as long trying to do YorHa betreyers as I did on the main story.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I gotta say having to redo "Pascal and the children" for Machine Heads hurt :smith:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

The Yorhas betrayers quest really doesn't want me to do it, because I keep checking those spots for anything but there's nothing. I looked before I did the forest, and now I just finished it and they're still not there. Am I screwing something up?

Try saving and reloading your game

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I found them first on top of the ruined Engels, then fought them in the clearing at the entrance to the factory for completion.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tarezax posted:

I found them first on top of the ruined Engels, then fought them in the clearing at the entrance to the factory for completion.

It's random because the order was opposite for me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

Try saving and reloading your game

That got them to show up the first time, thanks. I guess I'll have to do something similar to get them to show up again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SHISHKABOB posted:

Snak posted:

Who knows, I gave up and finished the story. Spent as long trying to do YorHa betreyers as I did on the main story.

You guys have probably read up and watched youtubes and stuff, but fwiw I found two lots of them, in order (mid-game location 'spoilers', no big deal):

1: under the bridge on the way to the factory, on the factory side.
2: on top of the ruined goliath (2 fights in a row)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Sakurai was praising this game on Twitter. considering how much Kid Icarus uprising resembles nier In gameplay and character banter, I really hope he feels inspired to make another one instead of smash Bros 9 or whatever

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i just wanna say the thing where you finish an event and it has its own music track that plays out as you're running around, is very precious. really makes tiny heartwarming moments feel real impactful

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

nerdz posted:

Sakurai was praising this game on Twitter. considering how much Kid Icarus uprising resembles nier In gameplay and character banter, I really hope he feels inspired to make another one instead of smash Bros 9 or whatever

I hope he puts Nier in Smash Brothers and his ending is about all the horrible things that result from you playing through Arcade Mode

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

the revelation that master hand and crazy hand are just two young brothers attempting to make friends, and that nier just killed all their friends and then them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nerdz posted:

He wrote about it in famitsu too
http://sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

Probably don't read if you haven't finished the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nerdz posted:

http://sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

e: welp

Defiance Industries posted:

I hope he puts Nier in Smash Brothers and his ending is about all the horrible things that result from you playing through Arcade Mode

To unlock Nier, you have to delete Breath of the Wild and your console can never play it again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

the revelation that master hand and crazy hand are just two young brothers attempting to make friends, and that nier just killed all their friends and then them.

His end-battle quotes change the more you play him, starting out with "I just want to help my daughter" to "IT'S KILLING TIME" to finally just incoherent screaming

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Owned

e: poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally finished ending E. What a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The opening of Route B is the best part of the game so far.