Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Depends on your age and interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey, I live in SLO! I can be useful!

Morro Bay is a sleepy town, but would definitely be the best bet, driving-wise, if you're going to Cambria and Paso often. If you can manage to find a place in SLO, go for it, but you have to compete more with the Cal Poly crowd for housing. Once you get south of SLO ("South County," as they say), you'll start to hate drives to Paso even more than if you're only coming from Morro Bay or SLO. The upside is you won't melt in the increasingly common heat waves.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SLO has Camp Roberts and sometimes the Central Coast and Ventura chapters of the Red Cross have trainings there. So if you're a member of the Red Cross you can commute to the camp instead of staying at an adequate hotel!

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Well someone else apparently snapped up that rental in Morro Bay last night, so unless they pulled it off their website before letting me know I got it, I'm back to square one on hunting for a place. Luckily I work for a real estate technology company and was handed about a hundred business cards from Realtors and property managers when I was there last month, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something else.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Depends on your age and interests.

I'm 29, not a huge fan of nightlife or college crowds, and would prefer to be closer to the ocean than SLO proper. I'm also on a tight timeframe since I'm supposed to start working in the area by the first week of April, so I can't be too picky.

CPColin posted:

Hey, I live in SLO! I can be useful!

Morro Bay is a sleepy town, but would definitely be the best bet, driving-wise, if you're going to Cambria and Paso often. If you can manage to find a place in SLO, go for it, but you have to compete more with the Cal Poly crowd for housing. Once you get south of SLO ("South County," as they say), you'll start to hate drives to Paso even more than if you're only coming from Morro Bay or SLO. The upside is you won't melt in the increasingly common heat waves.

Competing with the college crowd is why I was hoping to find something outside of SLO proper. Rentals are apparently really hard to find during a semester, and the ones that are available are pretty expensive since they're near the college. I might end up going for one of those anyways if I don't find something cheaper by the time I need to make the move.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sounds like morro bay is where you'd want to be. I'd put slo itself above it personally. Not a lot going on in morro bay. If you're single you might be bored stupid. Unless you surf maybe.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In LA or Orange County, rich, and don't want to serve your sentence in those nasty poor-person jails? Pay $100/day and you get the *nice* jails! Even if you were convicted of rape!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah but there's no alcohol and you still have to pay per carry-on.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
IS there loving anything of note in Hayward? Hikes? Restaurant? festival or what not?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Herr Tog posted:

IS there loving anything of note in Hayward? Hikes? Restaurant? festival or what not?

Literally nothing of note, sorry.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Herr Tog posted:

Not really, but then you are pretty close to Oakland/Berkeley, and the city isn't much further.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If you live North of the grade, be prepared for brutal summers and heat through the rest of the year (relative to SLO proper). Moro Bay is quaint but it's saving grace is proximity to SLO (if the Bay itself isn't your thing).

Haven't lived in Arroyo Grande, but if you may be going up as far as Cambria that'll be a long drive.

Edit: That's what I get for not loading the next page.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Literally nothing of note, sorry.

holy god it is like another state

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Herr Tog posted:

There are several freeways which will take you to better places.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

There are several freeways which will take you to better places.

I stand corrected. Hayward is notable for its abundance of ways in which you can depart Hayward for places which aren't Hayward.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I stand corrected. Hayward is notable for its abundance of ways in which you can depart Hayward for places which aren't Hayward.

never have I seen such savagery against a city

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

never have I seen such savagery against a city

Clearly you've never been to Fresno.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hayward has tidal flats where you can go look at the San Mateo bridge birds!

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/hayward

There are hiking trails too.

Hayward also features CSU Hayward, a school.

https://www.csueastbay.edu/

Oh sorry it's CSU "east bay" because that's much less likely to drive students away than saddling the school with the word "Hayward". OK also because it has two more campuses, in Concord and Oakland. :shrug: The Hayward Hills campus is the big one.

Here is a web site claiming there are as many as 15 things to do in Hayward:
https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-hayward-ca/

Let's see, we've got: a tiny japanese-style park; some rolling hills conveniently pictured in the seasonal green color they have during the wet months when you won't go visit them, rather than the drab brown they'll have the rest of the time when it's way too hot to want to go visit them; the previously mentioned shoreline; some murals, representing Hayward's ongoing battle with gang-related graffiti; the Don Castro "recreation area," a soulless, drab park where it looks like you can go pretend you're swimming in a lake rather than a large, outdoor, unfiltered public pool? Or maybe that's Bay water, I dunno; a nature center; San Leandro, which is a city that is not Hayward, LOL; Fremont, which is also a city that is still not Hayward; OAKLAND, stilllll not Hayward, holy poo poo they are out of ideas, huh?; Palo Alto and Santa Clara I mean come the gently caress on they're not even east bay, they're literally telling you to go to much nicer places in the bay area instead in the list of top Hayward attractions; San Jose; San Francisco; Berkeley; Napa Valley.

So in a list of the top 15 things in Hayward they couldn't even get past seven before throwing up their hands and suggesting you get the gently caress out of Hayward.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 15, 2017

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was in Hayward for a very stupid work thing the other day and the only interesting thing I found to do was leave. Of course it being 5:15 I just ate a long dinner so I could suffer the drive home without wanting to eat a bullet.

That's my Hayward story.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

There are hiking trails too.

Hayward also features CSU Hayward, a school.

https://www.csueastbay.edu/

Oh sorry it's CSU "east bay" because that's much less likely to drive students away than saddling the school with the word "Hayward". OK also because it has two more campuses, in Concord and Oakland. :shrug: The Hayward Hills campus is the big one.

Here is a web site claiming there are as many as 15 things to do in Hayward:
https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-hayward-ca/

Let's see, we've got: a tiny japanese-style park; some rolling hills conveniently pictured in the seasonal green color they have during the wet months when you won't go visit them, rather than the drab brown they'll have the rest of the time when it's way too hot to want to go visit them; the previously mentioned shoreline; some murals, representing Hayward's ongoing battle with gang-related graffiti; the Don Castro "recreation area," a soulless, drab park where it looks like you can go pretend you're swimming in a lake rather than a large, outdoor, unfiltered public pool? Or maybe that's Bay water, I dunno; a nature center; San Leandro, which is a city that is not Hayward, LOL; Fremont, which is also a city that is still not Hayward; OAKLAND, stilllll not Hayward, holy poo poo they are out of ideas, huh?; Palo Alto and Santa Clara I mean come the gently caress on they're not even east bay, they're literally telling you to go to much nicer places in the bay area instead in the list of top Hayward attractions; San Jose; San Francisco; Berkeley; Napa Valley.

So in a list of the top 15 things in Hayward they couldn't even get past seven before throwing up their hands and suggesting you get the gently caress out of Hayward.

This is most homework than I anticipated and I thank you so much for the summaries. I guess a hike/shore line thing are in order.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Spend the extra 10-20 minutes to drive to Coyote Hills in Fremont IMO.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

withak posted:

Fremont also has an excellent Half Price Books store. A++ would spend a month's rent again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fremont also has an excellent Half Price Books store. A++ would spend a month's rent again.
There are 40% and 50% off coupons at HPB this weekend (sign up for their email list).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the best way to drive up to Mammoth from Orange County / points south? Through LA or through Riverside?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Can someone give a run-down of the best taco trucks in LA?

Best as in, people go here all the time, there's line ups because it's good value, not tacos with Korean BBQ pork belly and other LA inventions

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Leo's tacos on Venice and La Brea. Dude hacks off delicious pork and then pops a chunk of pineapple onto your tortilla.

What planes you flying? I'm out of KSMO.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hayward = roasted

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

What's the best way to drive up to Mammoth from Orange County / points south? Through LA or through Riverside?

Through Riverside I think. What does google say?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I like to take the 241 to the 91 to the 15 to the 395. I like sightseeing in the high desert.

I know of older and wiser people that prefer the 5 to the 14 to the 395. Might be better for getting there more quickly.

It's really a personal preference and when you plan on going (since the 91 can be real slow)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Maybe you have to drive through more small towns if you go through Riverside? Small towns tend to have speed traps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I drive up 395 from Riverside fairly regularly. The drive up Cajon until you meet up in Ridgecrest with the 14 isn't all that interesting. Victorville/Adelanto can be infuriating with traffic and you have a long, single lane double yellow highway where you can get stuck behind a slow truck for 30+ minutes with no way to pass. That whole stretch is the worst part of my drive.

Take the 5 to the 14 IMO.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google says going through Riverside is faster and shorter, but yeah, I really don't trust the 91, I don't care how many toll roads they build. LA traffic seems to move even when its not moving, I'm probably going to hit either of those areas around 2:00 pm anyway, I'll go with the 5 to the 14.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hayward is just Fresno by the Bay.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Going home next month and want to spend a couple days at Yosemite. Coming up from Orange County, are there any good places to stay near the park for relatively cheap? The place I stayed last time was a mediocre hotel in Oakhurst that is going for $260 a night right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nothing near the park is cheap, but you should be able to stay somewhere for less than $260/night. Also, be sure to look at this:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Immediately before you head up, because many major roads are closed at various times.

If you're just visiting the Valley, you can stay in Mariposa. There are a few motels and lodges and stuff. The closer you are to the full tourist season (and if you're going in May, you're pretty much at the beginning of the tourist season) the higher rates will be, and the longer it will take you to drive from there to the valley floor. But it's do-able.

I would recommend also checking a few days before your trip to see if anything has opened up at Half Dome Village. It's tent cabins, which are... well, livable, but not super nice. And they book many months in advance, but there are always random cancellations so it doesn't hurt to check and see if a room has opened up just in time. You are much more likely to get a room if you're not checking in friday or saturday night.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO the tent cabins there are a lot better than a cheap motel, given the location.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

IMO the tent cabins there are a lot better than a cheap motel, given the location.

Those are usually booked months in advance.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah everything's booked within the park. All these places look terrible, are expensive, or don't have enough beds so I'm gonna check if there's anything on Airbnb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Those are usually booked months in advance.

Leperflesh posted:

I would recommend also checking a few days before your trip to see if anything has opened up at Half Dome Village. It's tent cabins, which are... well, livable, but not super nice. And they book many months in advance, but there are always random cancellations so it doesn't hurt to check and see if a room has opened up just in time. You are much more likely to get a room if you're not checking in friday or saturday night.

Yeah. Not "usually" but always booked many months in advance. But there are cancellations and sometimes you can get lucky.

birds posted:

Yeah everything's booked within the park. All these places look terrible, are expensive, or don't have enough beds so I'm gonna check if there's anything on Airbnb.

As I said, call just a few days before your trip to see if a room has opened up. And yes, you are not going to find both nice and inexpensive near or in the park, period. This is the first and one of the most spectacular national parks, which handles 4 million visitors annually, with most of them coming between May and September. There are less than 200 rooms in the entire park, plus a few hundred camping spots. The nearest towns are very small and have just a few hotels. You'll need to adjust your expectations - everything reasonable is booked by people planning their trips 6 months out. You can either try to get lucky, or assume you're paying through the nose or staying someplace very spartan.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This is the first and one of the most spectacular national parks

Second! :eng101:

I guess you could also check around Oakhurst, too? I lived in Fresno and I'm certain we drove up 41, it wasn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The expat moron who was pushing Calexit has dropped it, says he wants to live in Russia permanently. His former allies are forming a new Calexit group.

• Locked thread