Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Angepain posted:

The three major religions of the modern day, Christianity, Islam, and Communism.

Don't forget Mongols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twoday posted:

Don't forget Mongols

Mongols are Evangelic Lutheran. Well, the Mongols that matter :finland:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mongols are Evangelic Lutheran. Well, the Mongols that matter :finland:

Kalmyks?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No thanks I had mushroom soup for lunch.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
1000 years of war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsDn2kNriI

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Man, everyplace that isn't Europe needs to get with the program already.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought the people in the highlands of New Guinea were pretty much always at war with each other.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought the people in the highlands of New Guinea were pretty much always at war with each other.

It seems like it only counts state warfare though, otherwise Africa would be considerably less quiet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah, but what is a state? [launches into 500-paragraph post]

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Private Speech posted:

It seems like it only counts state warfare though, otherwise Africa would be considerably less quiet.

What it counts is battles that managed to get a wikipedia article in English. The creator of it plans to "eventually" get around to start including battles only mentioned on German wikipedia, those only mentioned on French wikipedia, and so on.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

twoday posted:

Don't forget Mongols
It's pretty neat watching the generally slow expansion of Christianity/Islam and then "oh yeah by the way the Mongols conquered loving everything in less than a hundred years". Not sure why they included it, but I like it.

The "communism" at the end is really loving dumb though.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
They didn't even include the original Scourge of God

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, but what is a state? [launches into 500-paragraph post]
A miserable little pile of state secrets.

Saladin Rising posted:

The "communism" at the end is really loving dumb though.
Yeah, most of it isn't even real communism. :trotsay:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m Utah southern Idaho.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I’m Utah southern Idaho.

I'm the annexation of Massachusetts by Rhode Island :eyepop:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kinda lame that for washington they stopped right away instead of going all the way back to "Estate of the descendants of wheat sheaf."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, most of it isn't even real communism. :trotsay:

Alternatively:
:anarchists:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Good Riddance Wisconsin

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Platystemon posted:

I’m Utah southern Idaho.

Alaska's is metal.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’m Utah southern Idaho.

I'm Wisconsin.

efb

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

a sexual elk posted:

Good Riddance Wisconsin

Michicagn 2: The Electric Boogaloo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm British Coloumbia, the province that couldn't decide whether to go for the 'u' or the 'o' so went for both.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
That's a pretty... charged area. :v:

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
I'm Mexico not getting a translation.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We lost the Aroostook War.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sinestro posted:

That would be Coulombia, which would be on the rendition of this map of South America

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

oldswitcheroo posted:

I'm Mexico not getting a translation.
I think you can infer that it's Place of [Aztec God].

Sinestro posted:

:golfclap:

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Guavanaut posted:

I think you can infer that it's Place of [Aztec God].

Sure, but Mexico's got states too. What do their names (dubiously) mean?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Sin of Onan posted:

Boy have I got a wikipedia page for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexican_state_name_etymologies

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Sin of Onan posted:

Low Mythical Island Califia
Low Mythical Island Califia South
Place of [Aztec God]
Place of [Aztec God] City (not a state)
Possessor of Fish
Cut Corn
Tortilla
Dry Place
I Don't Understand What You're Saying
Some Others

efb, but the wiki has it as 'What did you say?' instead

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

vyelkin posted:

Toronto only hits 9.5 if you include the whole Golden Horseshoe which includes a lot of cities and towns that are definitely outside the Toronto metro area, including another major city, Hamilton (metro population 1.3 million, people from there will get upset if you tell them they're from Toronto).

Hamilton is so part of Metro Toronto now, so is Barrie. Kitchener/Waterloo are almost part of Toronto and people from there commute into the city.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sbaldrick posted:

Hamilton is so part of Metro Toronto now, so is Barrie. Kitchener/Waterloo are almost part of Toronto and people from there commute into the city.

Plenty of people commute all the way from Philadelphia to New York City and vice-versa, that doesn't really make them part of the same city even though there's that whole Northeast Megalopolis concept. That's about 85 miles straight line distance where Waterloo-Toronto is about 65.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Politically loaded address.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Guavanaut posted:

Low Mythical Island Califia
Low Mythical Island Califia South

:crossarms:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

California's etymology is super weird and based off an old Spanish romance novel of the sort Don Quixote was making fun of. Queen Califia was the queen of a fictional paradise so they named the new "island" they found after her. Sort of like like how Amazonia was named after a Greek myth that got a lot of Medieval types hot under the collar.

In their defense, I'm pretty sure they were running out of saints to name things after by then.

Later, California turned out to be way too loving huge to be one colony so they split it into Alta and Baja (upper and lower) California. The Americans only annexed one of the Californias, so the "Alta" part got dropped. This left Baja California in Mexico, but much of the land on the southern part of the peninsula wasn't really developed at all until a century later, so the state of Baja California only extended as far as the big fuckoff desert in the middle of the peninsula. There was no highway across the desert until 1973 (hardly anyone lives in that part of the peninsula), so the unincorporated territory south of Baja California state was more closely tied with Sonora and Sinaloa (a short ferry ride away across they Sea of Cortez) than they were with Baja proper (where most of the population lives near the US border). This resulted in Southern Baja California developing a distinct political and social climate that had little in common with the government in Mexicali, so when the territory finally became incorporated in 1974, the locals chose to become their own state (Mexico's youngest). They're in Baja California, but they're south of the state of Baja California, so naturally they went with the ridiculous name of Baja California Sur, or "Lower California South." In practice, most people call it "Sur" or "BCS."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

As an aside, most Americans seem to have no awareness that Tijuana and Cabo San Lucas are in different states and a lot of people have no idea BCS even exists. Jerry Brown apparently didn't even bother to meet with their governor (though I can't find an article on it now).

There are hundreds of miles of beautiful desert, mountains, and beaches between Ensenada and La Paz that tourists hardly go to and a lot of the towns in there seem like they're straight out of an old Western with people living in traditional adobes and riding horses and donkeys down dirt roads to get to work (also lots of dusty old pickup trucks). If you ever visit Baja, for the love of god, get south of the border region because there's a lot more to see than just tourist traps and urban squalor. Just make sure to bring a spare tire because even Highway 1 can get pretty rough in places.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Duckbag posted:

California's etymology is super weird and based off an old Spanish romance novel of the sort Don Quixote was making fun of. Queen Califia was the queen of a fictional paradise so they named the new "island" they found after her. Sort of like like how Amazonia was named after a Greek myth that got a lot of Medieval types hot under the collar.

I easily imagine the spanish divided in two camps. The practical boring faction "Today is Saint Lucas, so this new isle get to be called Saint Lucas". And the nerds "He, this valley looks a lot like Rivendell from Lord of the Rings, lets call it Rivendell". In the lucky places the nerds won. Except San Francisco, despite being a saint name is kind of cool.

Anyway in a way both factions are similar. Saints being cool guys doing cool poo poo and heroic poo poo, then dying in a horrific cool way. Saints are more like normal people superheroes, while nerds have their different set of superheros.

Fiction names are a good system to name things in a memorable way. Nobody remembers QHKLTY45 but if you name some place "Giedi Prime", people remember. It works for things like server names, or stuff you need people to remember.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 21, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm Rhode Island

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Roodt Eyelandt.

Regarding Idaho:

quote:

The first known use of this name was by or before a Congressional committee early in 1860, when the proposal to create a new territory of the Pikes Peak region was before the Congress. In the April 18, 1860 issue of the Rocky Mountain News, Mr. S.W. Beall wrote back to Denver and stated that this name Idaho seemed the most popular suggestion before the committee. On May 10 and 11, 1860, the Congressional Globe mentions the proposals for the Territory of Idaho, and noted that Idaho was an Indian name signifying "Gem of the Mountain." When the territory with Denver as its center was later created, the name Colorado was substituted at the last moment for Idaho. How this name came before the Congress very early in 1860 is unknown. If this was an Indian name known to the miners who flocked to the gold fields in 1859, no mention of the fact was ever made in the newspapers of those days. So perhaps the name was invented by one Dr. George M. Willing; at any rate he claimed to have done so. Willing came to Denver in 1859 from St. Louis and became a candidate for election as delegate to the Congress, despite the lack of any right of the gold miners to have a delegate in Washington. Even though Willing lost the election, he went on to Washington and posed as the properly elected delegate. He claimed that he there invented the name Idaho, it being suggested by the presence of a little girl, Ida. His relation of the matter was published by a friend of his, William O. Stoddard, in the New York Daily Tribune for December 11, 1875.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Tei posted:

I easily imagine the spanish divided in two camps. The practical boring faction "Today is Saint Lucas, so this new isle get to be called Saint Lucas". And the nerds "He, this valley looks a lot like Rivendell from Lord of the Rings, lets call it Rivendell". In the lucky places the nerds won. Except San Francisco, despite being a saint name is kind of cool.

Anyway in a way both factions are similar. Saints being cool guys doing cool poo poo and heroic poo poo, then dying in a horrific cool way. Saints are more like normal people superheroes, while nerds have their different set of superheros.

The other two Spanish camps were unimaginative but more or less accurate toponyms and naming places after patrons, which in one case led to one of the few established settlements in eighteenth century California having a Sicilian name.