Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Having said all that stuff I never found actually winning defensive wars to be all that worthwhile given it's a ton of effort for what's basically white peace plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tried to play some multiplayer games with some folks. Game will OOS within 3 minutes without fail. Anyone had luck with getting multiplayer to work?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

spectralent posted:

Having said all that stuff I never found actually winning defensive wars to be all that worthwhile given it's a ton of effort for what's basically white peace plus.
The systems in EUIV are better for this tbh, with warscore between 50% and 100% actually meaning something and more varied and interesting demands.

I guess it's more of a CK3 subject at this point tho

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm playing after the end as the king of michigan. i've successfully inherited the detroit merchant republic. the trade post in detroit now has no holder and belongs to nobody. how do i get rid of it?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Holy poo poo, I hosed myself over hard. I was a random duke in a Europe where Charlie hosed up, and I narrowly avoided being elected king of West Francia because I didn't want to deal with that mess. East Francia elected me their king, so now I have that mess, a king title, a single county, and no claim to my old home. :downsgun:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've never played a merchant republic before and I just turned my tribal Irish society into one. How do I handle my demense? Should I create a bunch of landed families or just vest power in one or two when handing out baronys?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The systems in EUIV are better for this tbh, with warscore between 50% and 100% actually meaning something and more varied and interesting demands.

I guess it's more of a CK3 subject at this point tho

I dunno if I'd want them to go fully EU style peace deals with the CK series, but yeah it would be nice to be able to get something out of defensive wars besides a bunch of cash/prestige (the cash is nice - I feel like maybe a more fundamental problem the game has is how worthless prestige is).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Prestige isn't worthless. If anything, it's the only reason those wars for a single county that Pagans can do are even marginally worth a drat, because if you have a shitload of prestige you can set it on fire by breaking truce after truce after truce and just use that CB to blob over an entire kingdom. You might even make most of it back from winning said wars.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Doltos posted:

I've never played a merchant republic before and I just turned my tribal Irish society into one. How do I handle my demense? Should I create a bunch of landed families or just vest power in one or two when handing out baronys?

It's in your best interests to keep the other patrician families as weak as possible, so giving them land is a bad idea. So just hand out excess landed titles to randos in your realm who either have skills you want for your council or are content. Unless you find it too easy to keep the other families down (which it is, merchant republics are easy mode) in which case you wanna make them more powerful just so the game's more challenging. Don't give land to men of your own dynasty, you want as many of them as possible to stay in your court because that number factors into your trade post limit.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Prestige isn't worthless. If anything, it's the only reason those wars for a single county that Pagans can do are even marginally worth a drat, because if you have a shitload of prestige you can set it on fire by breaking truce after truce after truce and just use that CB to blob over an entire kingdom. You might even make most of it back from winning said wars.

For pagans prestige is better used for generating tribal armies and just utterly clowning everyone with your 10k doomstacks. By chaining wars and keeping some poor shmuck permasieged you can even use those armies to go raid anything of value in the Mediterranean and just laugh when the local lords get a couple thousand men together to try and stop you.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Have any major mods updated to make use of M&M yet? Or for compatibility even.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh wow, playing Zoroastrians is so much easier when you can just pretend to be Muslim.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Captain Mediocre posted:

Have any major mods updated to make use of M&M yet? Or for compatibility even.

A quick glance shows CK2+ has a public beta build out with it, stuff like AtE and Geheimnisnacht are probably going to take a while though seeing as all the societies and whatnot need completely overhauling.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Anyone got any ideas for the Good Old Days achievement? I've tried starting as the Duke of Holland a couple times but I've never been able to wriggle free of the Francian kingdoms before the Kingdom of Frisia de jure drifts out of existence.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tehan posted:

Anyone got any ideas for the Good Old Days achievement? I've tried starting as the Duke of Holland a couple times but I've never been able to wriggle free of the Francian kingdoms before the Kingdom of Frisia de jure drifts out of existence.

ckiiwiki: "Try Charlemagne. Switch your kingdoms to elective, create Frisia, and destroy West Francia and Middle Francia."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just reached 1000 hours played :toot:

I can't believe I played this much CK2. And then I thought about how much money I payed for this. It must have been around 200 bucks? Still worth it, and actually more hours of entertainment for my money than in many other video games.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Eh, with this game you can like, fold laundry or gently caress around with your phone while it's running, so it's not like all of those hours are active playtime. Or at least that's what I try to tell myself :ohdear:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

ckiiwiki: "Try Charlemagne. Switch your kingdoms to elective, create Frisia, and destroy West Francia and Middle Francia."
The whole point of the cheevos is to be a fun challenge tbh

this is like getting empire of the sun by being the caliph

Tehan posted:

It's a lil trickier since they made de jure frisia smaller

One thing you can do that's only a lil cheat is to change game rules so de jure drift takes longer

If you want to do it for real, one option is to do get enough power behind an independence revolt. There's lot of options: if you're good enough to get on the council you can get favours from fellow councillors (which are usually large vassals) but you want to get those to force them into your faction. Go carousing; make them your friends and meanwhile have your councillor ruining relations in Charlies capital. Alternatively you can kill him: Satanism is great for that these days but just plots might work if you get lucky, in that case going intrigue and spying on him is good, or seduction to get all the women in his court on your side.

You want to save a shitload of money for mercs for the independence war and if you did it via faction right you should have fragmented the kingdom enough that you can war for it at a later date. Get Brittanny; it's probably the easiest point of expansion for you and I love it.

You can try to get all of Frisia right away, but remember that if you take just one county from each duchy it will stop de jure drift into W-Francia. You'd need to get two duchy fabrications, so you need a chancellor with more than, what, 20? dip and even then its rare

Crow Jane posted:

Eh, with this game you can like, fold laundry or gently caress around with your phone while it's running, so it's not like all of those hours are active playtime. Or at least that's what I try to tell myself :ohdear:
This game is ideal for alt-tabbing or multi-tasking.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Carcer posted:

For pagans prestige is better used for generating tribal armies and just utterly clowning everyone with your 10k doomstacks. By chaining wars and keeping some poor shmuck permasieged you can even use those armies to go raid anything of value in the Mediterranean and just laugh when the local lords get a couple thousand men together to try and stop you.

I'm guessing this is a good way to take on the Umayyads as West Africa, right? No matter how many Sultans I assassinate, they've still taken nearly all of the Idrisid, Asturian, and Navarran territory.

As an aside, it's been a while since I've played and I'm really enjoying how much more fleshed out paganism is. It's become a tradition for good mansas to have 1 eye when they die (often resulting from eye surgery complications), while the great ones have 1 eye and 1 hand.
Haven't found out what they let you offer to the gods after hands, but the next mansa to figure it out will be a legend.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
DLC survey results: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-46-surveying-the-survey.1006618/

No real surprises. Everyone loved Old Gods and hated Sunset Invasion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

funktopus posted:

I'm guessing this is a good way to take on the Umayyads as West Africa, right? No matter how many Sultans I assassinate, they've still taken nearly all of the Idrisid, Asturian, and Navarran territory.

As an aside, it's been a while since I've played and I'm really enjoying how much more fleshed out paganism is. It's become a tradition for good mansas to have 1 eye when they die (often resulting from eye surgery complications), while the great ones have 1 eye and 1 hand.
Haven't found out what they let you offer to the gods after hands, but the next mansa to figure it out will be a legend.
The best way to get the Ummayds is to get enough prestige to get a few tribal armies running then raiding their counties with armies big enough they can't attack them over and over and thereby unofficially joining wars and rebellions against them.

Raiding is an incredibly powerful weapon: while the inland raiding probably won't be making you money, you will be ruining their levies and forces, making factions against them more likely to work. Then just have your chancellor spreading dissent and your spymaster sabotaging poo poo.

The defense against them is very easy so long as you grab the other side of the strait. That's much, much easier in the Charlie start (you seem to be using the Old Gods one) because things are way more fragmented then. After subjugating everyone after your first decade you can then rip apart the others, fabricate on Atlas Mnt and even the one in Tunis if you want but with those conquests, raids and the holy sites reformation should be a breeze in Charlie.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Deceitful Penguin posted:

This game is ideal for alt-tabbing or multi-tasking.

It really is.

Zero One posted:

DLC survey results: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-46-surveying-the-survey.1006618/

how can so many people be so wrong

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

spectralent posted:

It really is.

Zulu invasion from the south, Inuit from the north, and Chinese invasion of India. Make this happen, Paradox. In the grim darkness of the 1st millenium, there can be only war.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zero One posted:

spectralent posted:

quote:

The additions that you rate the highest in a new DLC:
2. New Starting Dates - With 51,53% appreciating this type of addition very much.
3. Expanded Map - With 38,94% appreciating this type of addition very much.

Burn it all down.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I know the thread had a conversation about India and how isolated it was from the rest of the game, but I would throw obscene amounts of money at a Chinese-region map expansion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

spectralent posted:

Even here, nobody actually likes it, though?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Actually it's great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strudel Man posted:

Its a good idea buried under the baggage of blobbing and event troops being the worst.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Airspace posted:

I know the thread had a conversation about India and how isolated it was from the rest of the game, but I would throw obscene amounts of money at a Chinese-region map expansion.

I think that an India+China map would be good, but not as an expansion to the current one. Just have it so that if you have the DLC checked, you are placed on the India+China map, otherwise you're on the Europe+Middle East (and bits of russia and africa) map.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Swedish Horror posted:

Actually it's great.
I know you don't actually think that. It's okay.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

I think that an India+China map would be good, but not as an expansion to the current one. Just have it so that if you have the DLC checked, you are placed on the India+China map, otherwise you're on the Europe+Middle East (and bits of russia and africa) map.

Yeah, that sounds a good idea.

Then again, a part of me wants to see Chinese Spain, even if it'll take the better part of 60 years to get an army over there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
China should be a new game, not yet another tortured extension of the feudalism simulator

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The CK2 Generator is loving insane. :stare:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, looking at those stats, I'm slowly accepting that China expansion is not happening lol...

...so here's to me hoping for the next best thing, that seems a logical extension of all those popular DLCs and features...

...Fall of the Roman Empire start date before Charlegmane! (with a slight Africa map expansion and more tribal mechanics plz!)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The CK2 Generator is loving insane. :stare:

It really is. Can't wait for the M&M update, it's adding province editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzG1EMc9y4M

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I know you don't actually think that. It's okay.

I play with it on literally every game, dude. I'm not trying to be funny here :shrug:

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for this. I had no idea that West African pagans could raid, that's definitely new to me. I think I may restart with that knowledge.
And you're right, I play Old Gods.
This is my first time really playing a tribal government. I used to hate the idea, but I'm really warming up to the play style. The toughest part, really, is figuring out when it's the right time to reform the religion and convert to feudalism.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A CK2 style game set in Imperial China or Ancient Rome would be pretty swell, with the mechanics adjusted to fit the government's and societies of those region/time periods, obv.

I would actually prefer Paradox doing something like that instead of doing Crusader Kings 3. 2 has niggling flaws and all that but its probably the best Medieval Nobility Simulator yet made and trying to top it immediately seems like a waste of effort.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

1stGear posted:

A CK2 style game set in Imperial China or Ancient Rome would be pretty swell, with the mechanics adjusted to fit the government's and societies of those region/time periods, obv.

I would actually prefer Paradox doing something like that instead of doing Crusader Kings 3. 2 has niggling flaws and all that but its probably the best Medieval Nobility Simulator yet made and trying to top it immediately seems like a waste of effort.

I have to kind of agree here. I mean, the events and all this crazy poo poo is what make Crusader Kings 2 what it is for me. I've invested so much modding time into it by now it's not even funny and I doubt I'd even switch over to CK3 simply due to that. And in the end, it's all these events and personalized crazy poo poo that makes it, by far, the tops as to roleplaying of all of the paradox titles and, at the end of the day, it works sufficiently. Trying to top it, I fear, could be building up such player expectations, that in the end no one could win them over in the longrun.

So far moreso than redoing the same historical period yet again, why not seek to describe the earlier classical era upto the fall of the Roman Empire instead, when it would most certainly not be that far removed from a fair few of the mechanics already established in this game?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I really don't think CK3 would work out. If they port over everything their DLC model wouldn't work and if they don't it would feel pretty empty. Starting with China and slowly working in the other direction might work out better.

• Locked thread