Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheReverend posted:

Nah that's be pointless as I'm looking for something comfortable to be stuck in traffic in. Driving a Porsche on 285 would just make me sad.

I'll still probably end up driving this Prius until it dies.

The Impala from 2014 on is really quite excellent, and I find it to be quite a bit better than the Avalon. A gently used ES350 or the like would probably fit the bill but will be quite a bit more expensive.

On another topic: IQS is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Car in Georgia in advertised at $9271 and they say out the door tax, tag, title, dealer fees would be $10030. Sound about right?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Coredump posted:

Car in Georgia in advertised at $9271 and they say out the door tax, tag, title, dealer fees would be $10030. Sound about right?

Yep! Make sure you understand what "dealer fees" are and that they aren't charging you for anything optional that you don't need or want. Out of curiosity what's the year/model/miles?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

Yep! Make sure you understand what "dealer fees" are and that they aren't charging you for anything optional that you don't need or want. Out of curiosity what's the year/model/miles?

2005 Honda Element with 58613 miles.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coredump posted:

Sales tax alone is about $370 on that, so $400 for the rest isn't too outrageous. Title and tag are usually about $100, give or take.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up my 2016 Dodge Charger R/T from Carvana today. Transaction went pretty smoothly. The Carvana guy looked over my trade-in, ran me through some paperwork, and handed me the keys. Very smooth and fast. I don't think I'll ever step foot in a dealership again unless I need a more premium trimline in the future.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Sales tax alone is about $370 on that, so $400 for the rest isn't too outrageous. Title and tag are usually about $100, give or take.

Good to know. I'm sending a mobile auto inspector around this afternoon to check the car out and make sure it checks out.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been paying off student loans for the past 5 years, and have around $40k left to go. I've never missed a payment and have above a 750 credit score. I'm looking at buying a car soon for under $8k, and will have enough cash saved up to not take out a loan. Is that small of a car loan going to help my credit later on?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deeters posted:

I've been paying off student loans for the past 5 years, and have around $40k left to go. I've never missed a payment and have above a 750 credit score. I'm looking at buying a car soon for under $8k, and will have enough cash saved up to not take out a loan. Is that small of a car loan going to help my credit later on?

If you're trying to build your credit score, a small loan you can easily pay back will help more than paying cash, yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

750 is already good enough to buy a house so. ...

Unless I'm missing something .

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

750 is already good enough to buy a house so. ...

Unless I'm missing something .

In theory, yes, but my understanfing is that if your 750 is just based on your ability to pay a $1000 limit credit card, they still may not give you a loan for half a million bucks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh 500,000. I was going off of 250,000 and lower. Like a first home or whatever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

nm posted:

In theory, yes, but my understanfing is that if your 750 is just based on your ability to pay a $1000 limit credit card, they still may not give you a loan for half a million bucks.

My 750 is based on a credit card plus student loans. I was hoping that would be enough that an $8k loan wouldn't make a big difference.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Oh 500,000. I was going off of 250,000 and lower. Like a first home or whatever.

Any homes near me for 250,000 are both in locations where you get shot, have massive structural issues, and several other issues like being actively on fire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

Any homes near me for 250,000 are both in locations where you get shot, have massive structural issues, and several other issues like being actively on fire.

250k is like a 1000 sq foot dump... at a foreclosure auction.

The rent is too drat high!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
drat it feels good to be suburban

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn I guess there are aspects to living in the midwest that I under appreciate.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Folks,

If you're looking at buying a used car, pay for a mobile mechanic to come check it out! I paid $160 for the guy I used and he got under the car and all in it and spotted several things I wouldn't have spotted if I was looking at the vehicle. In this case I've got a Honda Element with some broken brackets on the bumper and a bolt between the exhaust pipe and manifold that is broken which points to a front end collision at some point in the vehicle's life that didn't come up on the Carfax. I'm going to use this info to try and bargain the price down but I doubt I would have spotted any of this on my own. Get the car inspected before you buy.

Signed,
Coredump

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Coredump posted:

Folks,

If you're looking at buying a used car, pay for a mobile mechanic to come check it out! I paid $160 for the guy I used and he got under the car and all in it and spotted several things I wouldn't have spotted if I was looking at the vehicle. In this case I've got a Honda Element with some broken brackets on the bumper and a bolt between the exhaust pipe and manifold that is broken which points to a front end collision at some point in the vehicle's life that didn't come up on the Carfax. I'm going to use this info to try and bargain the price down but I doubt I would have spotted any of this on my own. Get the car inspected before you buy.

Signed,
Coredump

Don't buy that car. You were already about to pay literally $10,000 for a 13 year old economy car. Just buy a different car, seriously.

You can get a 3-5 year old economy car for $10k easily, or just buy a new Soul or something with favorable financing, 0 miles, and a 10 year warranty for way less money than you think.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Proposed Budget: I think I could probably afford up to $45 at this time, or I could wait until my current car really hits the skids and buy something special for more (60 in a year, for instance)
New or Used: Honestly don't really care, have had a LOT of success with used luxury cars in the past, wouldn't mind this route again.
Body Style: wagon, 4-door hatchback or crossover - I sometimes pick up my daughter in her car seat and so a true back seat is important. I like wagons.
How will you be using the car?: daily driver / commuter (mix of city and highway driving in Eastern Iowa)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Not totally 100% necessary, but I do like heated, leather seats, I require at least an auxillary cable (my current car has just a CD changer, ugh)

What aspects are most important to you?:
• reliability through ice and snow in the middle of winter - I 100% cannot afford to ever be late or miss a day of work in what has become less frequent winter snow and ice, but my commute is 7 miles interstate, 4 miles in-town commute and with snow and ice it can be dicey. Otherwise I sometimes need to travel 25 miles up to pick up my daughter after work, but we also do own a 2016 Volvo XC90 that does really well in ice and snow and we usually use that car to pick her up anyway. My current car has 4Matic and that's been sufficient.
• decent gas mileage - not the top priority
• high reliability
• known for outrageous safety, this helps me sell it to my wife. Brands known for safety like MB and Volvo are a big plus
• fun to drive - the C320 will do 140 MPH if coaxed and I like having that kind of power/acceleration
• fits lots of stuff - currently have a C320 wagon that has treated me so, so good. Bought it at 5 years old for about $12K and 55k miles and it has lasted me already 8 years. Maintenance is pricy but aside from a few hysterics it hasn't been a bad car.

Edit: my dream car forever has been an E63 AMG Wagon but that car is like monstrously expensive and impossible to find used.

I also would like to find 3/4 of the car for half the price, because it seems silly to be looking to spend $60,000 on a used station wagon

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 22, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Don't buy that car. You were already about to pay literally $10,000 for a 13 year old economy car. Just buy a different car, seriously.

You can get a 3-5 year old economy car for $10k easily, or just buy a new Soul or something with favorable financing, 0 miles, and a 10 year warranty for way less money than you think.

Nah I want an Element. Now if you know of a better Element I should look at in the area lemme know.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Twerk from Home posted:

I too was disappointed to see this guy paying $10k for a 13 year old Element, but from what I've read on here people really do adamantly like those things for some reason. So I didn't say anything.

vvv agreed, sorry :(

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 22, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

So I didn't say anything.

You should remember this feeling more often before posting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Elements are not really "economy" cars and have insanely high resale values.

I literally don't know an element owner who doesn't like thier car and want to drive it forever. The same cannot be said of souls. It is a niche car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

Nah I want an Element. Now if you know of a better Element I should look at in the area lemme know.

If you absolutely must have an Element, expand your search nationally. Plane tickets and gas are cheap, and you can probably end up getting a better price on one by fly and driving one from 4 states over.

I don't get how a sub-$20k when it was new Honda isn't an economy car, I guess I'm missing something here.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Twerk from Home posted:

If you absolutely must have an Element, expand your search nationally. Plane tickets and gas are cheap, and you can probably end up getting a better price on one by fly and driving one from 4 states over.

I don't get how a sub-$20k when it was new Honda isn't an economy car, I guess I'm missing something here.

They're like the VW van of our generation. I know people who live whole lives out of their Elements, and love them to death.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I have been looking nationwide. There's an Orange one with low miles in good condition out in Arizona but its a stick and I don't want to drive a manual in an Element. Also, the Element wasn't below $20k when it was new was it? Check your numbers on that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

I have been looking nationwide. There's an Orange one with low miles in good condition out in Arizona but its a stick and I don't want to drive a manual in an Element. Also, the Element wasn't below $20k when it was new was it? Check your numbers on that.

Looks like it was right around $20k MSRP: http://www.autotrader.com/2005-honda-Element.jsp?modelId=15361

Base invoice price $16k, fully loaded highest trim 4WD EX AT $21,725.00 MSRP. Given that they sold like poo poo when new I'm betting a bunch of them sold deeply discounted new.

I don't have a personal crusade against Elements, I just spent a bunch of time riding in one and didn't think it was anything special. A friend of mine got one new in high school. His parents wanted to give him a CRV but an Element was thousands cheaper for a comparable model because they'd been sitting on the lot forever.

It just blows my mind that that same car is only worth like $8k less now a decade later.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 22, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well I'll be. I thought they were $24k new. That may have been the 2011 models which was the last model year.

Twerk from Home posted:

It just blows my mind that that same car is only worth like $8k less now a decade later.

Don't look at Honda Fits in that case.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just get a Flex.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

Don't look at Honda Fits in that case.

This confuses me even more. Unlike the Element, fits aren't discontinued and the new ones are better in every way. Why not just buy a new car instead of a 10 year old one?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Car prices have gone up a lot in a decade.
The appeal of an element is that the interior is basically dog, child, and large quantities of mud proof in a way you don't see now except in base model full size pickups.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 22, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Proposed Budget: I think I could probably afford up to $45 at this time, or I could wait until my current car really hits the skids and buy something special for more (60 in a year, for instance)
New or Used: Honestly don't really care, have had a LOT of success with used luxury cars in the past, wouldn't mind this route again.
Body Style: wagon, 4-door hatchback or crossover - I sometimes pick up my daughter in her car seat and so a true back seat is important. I like wagons.
How will you be using the car?: daily driver / commuter (mix of city and highway driving in Eastern Iowa)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Not totally 100% necessary, but I do like heated, leather seats, I require at least an auxillary cable (my current car has just a CD changer, ugh)

What aspects are most important to you?:
• reliability through ice and snow in the middle of winter - I 100% cannot afford to ever be late or miss a day of work in what has become less frequent winter snow and ice, but my commute is 7 miles interstate, 4 miles in-town commute and with snow and ice it can be dicey. Otherwise I sometimes need to travel 25 miles up to pick up my daughter after work, but we also do own a 2016 Volvo XC90 that does really well in ice and snow and we usually use that car to pick her up anyway. My current car has 4Matic and that's been sufficient.
• decent gas mileage - not the top priority
• high reliability
• known for outrageous safety, this helps me sell it to my wife. Brands known for safety like MB and Volvo are a big plus
• fun to drive - the C320 will do 140 MPH if coaxed and I like having that kind of power/acceleration
• fits lots of stuff - currently have a C320 wagon that has treated me so, so good. Bought it at 5 years old for about $12K and 55k miles and it has lasted me already 8 years. Maintenance is pricy but aside from a few hysterics it hasn't been a bad car.

Edit: my dream car forever has been an E63 AMG Wagon but that car is like monstrously expensive and impossible to find used.

I also would like to find 3/4 of the car for half the price, because it seems silly to be looking to spend $60,000 on a used station wagon

Ugh, should I just buy a Subaru Outback 3.6R?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ugh, should I just buy a Subaru Outback 3.6R?

You can.

Not sure if the Golf SportWagen AWD is quick enough, but that would be a nice cheap option. Perhaps the Golf R, but that is likely a bit too snug. For more expensive nazimobiles, the 3-series wagon is just within your price range, and would probably be where my money would end up.

If you want reliable, maybe Lexus RX? Dreadfully boring, but basically checks all of your boxes.

edit: if you can find a used CTS-V wagon you should buy that

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Legacy with a CVT isn't the worst CVT equipped car in the world, but calling it "fun to drive" is probably a stretch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The acura tsx wagon is fun to drive (though slow and auto only) and probably reliable.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Coredump posted:

Folks,

Signed,
Coredump

Always get a pre-purchase inspection, but don't use a mobile mechanic if you can help it. A shop with a lift will get a far better view than a guy trying to wriggle under the car with a flashlight, and shouldn't cost any more.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

will do 140 MPH

M6 Gran Coupe
AMG E65 Wagon
:getin:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Getting an AMG fixed anywhere in Iowa but des moines and near Omaha is gonna be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nm posted:

Getting an AMG fixed anywhere in Iowa but des moines and near Omaha is gonna be fun.

I'm pretty sure the only thing either of those cars matches in his request is 140MPH. I believe they both start at more than double his "in a year" price.