Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesArkin/status/843896952400109568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WampaLord posted:

Well considering everyone else at the party seems to be drunk on donor class bullshit and Very Serious Thinking, I'd like to see how well Bernie could drive the car for a while.

Bernie is also pretty drunk on Very Serious Thinking, you just happen to agree with him.

But, for the record I think we should work to get money out of politics as much as possible and I don't think that Bernie would "get all the corporate money" out of Democratic politics if put in a position of power.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie is also pretty drunk on Very Serious Thinking, you just happen to agree with him.

You're delusional.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WampaLord posted:

You're delusional.

Nah. Bernie's shitck is the Very Serious Thinking that Democrats lost/lose because they're too elitist and out of touch with Regular People and that if only we Talked To White People more, they'd vote for us.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yep, dems are done

too incompetent to govern, much less get elected. rest in donald trump's piss dem party

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Democrats lost/lose because they're too elitist and out of touch with Regular People

He is correct about this part, in fact, it's the entire point of the thread.

I'm not even touching the other part of your post other than to say there is absolutely no reason we can't be the party of both economic and racial justice.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah. Bernie's shitck is the Very Serious Thinking that Democrats lost/lose because they're too elitist and out of touch with Regular People and that if only we Talked To White People more, they'd vote for us.

You're insane

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress, mcmagic, weren't you the hardest of Bernie supporters, and now you're in here accusing people of being terrible for not voting for Clinton?

I remember you earning a "mcmagic was right" av after the election, why are you now intent on shaming people for not helping Worst Candidate Ever Hillary win?

I haven't changed what I was saying at all. I was a hardcore Bernie supporter and I worked for and voted for him in the primary. I also said after the primary that not working for and voting for "poo poo Candidate Hillary Clinton" made you terrible and I still believe that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

That's entirely his bit. I don't know why you're fighting it.

WampaLord posted:

He is correct about this part, in fact, it's the entire point of the thread.

I'm not even touching the other part of your post other than to say there is absolutely no reason we can't be the party of both economic and racial justice.

He's literally said the second half of that post. I am not sure why you're denying it's true? The problem isn't that you can't be the part of both economic and racial justice -- you can -- but it's proven to be less than easy to do in explicit terms.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 20, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Christ almighty how stupid are these people

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gently caress you Mike.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I haven't changed what I was saying at all. I was a hardcore Bernie supporter and I worked for and voted for him in the primary. I also said after the primary that not working for and voting for "poo poo Candidate Hillary Clinton" made you terrible and I still believe that.

No, I get that, but why waste your energy trying to shame people for not winning the election that we already lost? Let's focus on the next one.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's literally said the second half of that post. I am not sure why you're denying it's true?

I didn't deny anything, I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic and not have it devolve into the "Bernie supporters are racist!" argument again, because that's not a productive discussion to have.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Yes, because Clinton was famously good at responding to critiques from people who weren't straight white men, especially when asked what the hell her campaign message was (or what her policies were).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I didn't deny anything, I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic and not have it devolve into the "Bernie supporters are racist!" argument again, because that's not a productive discussion to have.

But that isn't at all my point, other than to say that Bernie is also very deep into Very Serious Thinking, which apparently is hard to admit?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

No, I get that, but why waste your energy trying to shame people for not winning the election that we already lost? Let's focus on the next one.

I am worried about the next election but what was going on in this thread re: false equivalency between Clinton and Trump was dumb and had to be responded to.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But that isn't at all my point, other than to say that Bernie is also very deep into Very Serious Thinking, which apparently is hard to admit?

My idea of Very Serious Thinking is poo poo like "We can't go after Wall Street" or "We can't fight for $15, it's too much" not what Bernie is talking about so clearly we just have different definitions here.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's entirely his bit. I don't know why you're fighting it.

He's literally said the second half of that post. I am not sure why you're denying it's true? The problem isn't that you can't be the part of both economic and racial justice -- you can -- but it's proven to be less than easy to do in explicit terms.

Surely tripling down on centrist corporatism will work this time :allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

My idea of Very Serious Thinking is poo poo like "We can't go after Wall Street" or "We can't fight for $15, it's too much" not what Bernie is talking about so clearly we just have different definitions here.

So it's just "I don't agree with it" = Very Serious Thinking.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Surely tripling down on centrist corporatism will work this time :allears:

Are you just committed to saying the dumbest poo poo that comes through your head.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

I am worried about the next election but what was going on in this thread re: false equivalency between Clinton and Trump was dumb and had to be responded to.

that was in your head cause i never said clinton was as corrupt as trump, just that she's corrupt.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

Yes, because Clinton was famously good at responding to critiques from people who weren't straight white men, especially when asked what the hell her campaign message was (or what her policies were).

"Checkout ma website, Hillary Clinton dot com, Hillary Clinton dot com"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Are you just committed to saying the dumbest poo poo that comes through your head.

*infinitely growing ironicat . gif

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i would say "very serious thinking" is typically shorthand for people who shoot down ideas that call for "too much" or "any" change.

the idea is that the very serious thinker is indeed serious because ideas that challenge the status quo are "impossible" and therefore people who purport them are "not serious"

hope that helps

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

*infinitely growing ironicat . gif

Okay duder. If this makes you feel better about yelling into the abyss about something stupid I didn't even remotely say.

RaySmuckles posted:

i would say "very serious thinking" is typically shorthand for people who shoot down ideas that call for "too much" or "any" change.

the idea is that the very serious thinker is indeed serious because ideas that challenge the status quo are "impossible" and therefore people who purport them are "not serious"

hope that helps

That would not be the definition of Very Serious Thinker I would use at all.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Okay duder. If this makes you feel better about yelling into the abyss about something stupid I didn't even remotely say.

So you're saying we don't need centrist corporate politicians and instead we need to help out working class people, no matter what their race or beliefs are?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Which is interesting, but very likely tells more about the class interests you have than about what people mean by Very Serious People.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

that was in your head cause i never said clinton was as corrupt as trump, just that she's corrupt.

You seemed very worried about a who gives a poo poo like Chelsea Clinton getting a good job.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So you're saying we don't need centrist corporate politicians and instead we need to help out working class people, no matter what their race or beliefs are?

I'd prefer we didn't build a coalition around racist assholes; but I think I've been fairly clear we should be the party of the working class? I just don't take the tact you have to run on a platform of harenvolk populism to do it.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Which is interesting, but very likely tells more about the class interests you have than about what people mean by Very Serious People.

I don't think class interests really play into a pedantic argument about the meaning of Very Serious People as a narrative term in political circles.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

You seemed very worried about a who gives a poo poo like Chelsea Clinton getting a good job.

The game is rigged for people like the Clintons, we don't need people who benefit enormously from the rigged system to run for any office, no matter how small.

We should strongly fight against nepotism and corruption, otherwise it's a never ending cycle of Trumps and Clintons fighting while the rest of us die painful deaths and watch our children drown

Hth

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'd prefer we didn't build a coalition around racist assholes; but I think I've been fairly clear we should be the party of the working class? I just don't take the tact you have to run on a platform of harenvolk populism to do it.

I don't think class interests really play into a pedantic argument about the meaning of Very Serious People as a narrative term in political circles.

"Coalition of racist assholes" sounds a lot like typical Clinton supporters tho? Why means test your own people?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The game is rigged for people like the Clintons, we don't need people who benefit enormously from the rigged system to run for any office, no matter how small.

We should strongly fight against nepotism and corruption, otherwise it's a never ending cycle of Trumps and Clintons fighting while the rest of us die painful deaths and watch our children drown

Hth

So we shouldn't have cleared the field for Bernie to run for Senate?

"Coalition of racist assholes" sounds a lot like typical Clinton supporters tho? Why means test your own people?

And I am the insane one :lol:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hth

You can't address that directly. Were you upset about Malia Obama getting a plum internship at HBO? Children with powerful and influential parents get to start on 3rd base, yeah. Welcome to the entire history of human civilization.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

i am very worried that dem leadership is beholden to large corporations and not at all interested in helping the poor. gifts to hillary clinton from NBC are unethical and corrupt, and hillary knows better. we need clearheaded dems who aren't too beholden to a corporate agenda to be able to fight effectively or we'll have 8 years of trump or worse.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I will agree to vote Republican if they start living up to their promise of throwing Democratic politicians in prison.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

You can't address that directly. Were you upset about Malia Obama getting a plum internship at HBO? Children with powerful and influential parents get to start on 3rd base, yeah. Welcome to the entire history of human civilization.

Are the obama children signaling that they want to run for office in order to further entrench the power of the finance industry?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So we shouldn't have cleared the field for Bernie to run for Senate?

And I am the insane one :lol:

Cleared the field for Bernie? What are you talking about lol

Hillary and the Dems getting crushed on every level really boggled your brains lol

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Cleared the field for Bernie? What are you talking about lol

Hillary and the Dems getting crushed on every level really boggled your brains lol

The Dem field was cleared for Bernie to run for Senate in Vermont the first time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Dem field was cleared for Bernie to run for Senate in Vermont the first time.

Probably because he was a great candidate and ridiculously popular in Vermont.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Probably he was a great candidate and ridiculously popular in Vermont.

That wasn't the point. The argument was that the DNC should never clear the field for people, but apparently only when you don't like the candidate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That wasn't the point. The argument was that the DNC should never clear the field for people, but apparently only when you don't like the candidate.

How about never when they are an objectively terrible candidate who is the only democrat who could possibly lose to a deranged authoritarian madman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

How about never when they are an objectively terrible candidate who is the only democrat who could possibly lose to a deranged authoritarian madman?

I wasn't talking about Hillary; I was simply just responding to the dude who was mad about the idea of a house seat field being cleared for Chlesea to run.

• Locked thread