Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soul Glo posted:

:allears: It's great that kids have a game like BotW to grow up on

Yeah he actually helped me beat a shrine quest where you had to carry a meat rock up a hill past a bunch of moblins by saying "maybe you have to wear the Moblin mask".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ok this game is loving fantastic but so far the bosses are a bit disappointing. I just did the Zora dungeon and while it was cool as hell how it worked and all, it was still underwhelming coming off long proper dungeons like Skyward Sword. Do they get longer/more difficult with time?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

comingafteryouall posted:

I don't kill the foxes because they're too chill. I love sneaking up on the animals with the stealth gear and watching them panic when they realize there's a ninja in their face.
Yeah, I always feel guilty whenever Wolf Link grabs a fox. No! Bad boy! Drop it!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

I don't kill the foxes because they're too chill. I love sneaking up on the animals with the stealth gear and watching them panic when they realize there's a ninja in their face.

lynels are basically the only thing in this game that are sometimes remotely close to "sane" in terms of stealth, i guess the rest of the monsters don't get paid enough to afford ganon's vision plan :sad:

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, Eventide is excellent. I just wish the shrine reward had been more in line with the difficulty of getting to it.

the interesting thing about eventide to me is that it's literally just "we're going to force you into an early-game state with your weapons/armor, figure it out"

it just reinforces the point that while the game can be fun in a godlike state, eating hundreds of durians on the pause screen and one-shotting lynels with 80 damage 2 handers, there's also something to be said for playing in a way where things stay dangerous and you have to actually think about how you're going to approach an enemy camp instead of just throwing in a 5x frost/bomb arrow and oneshotting everything while taking quarter-hearts of damage

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it just reinforces the point that while the game can be fun in a godlike state, eating hundreds of durians on the pause screen and one-shotting lynels with 80 damage 2 handers, there's also something to be said for playing in a way where things stay dangerous and you have to actually think about how you're going to approach an enemy camp instead of just throwing in a 5x frost/bomb arrow and oneshotting everything while taking quarter-hearts of damage

Yeah and this is what I'm hoping for from Hard mode - essentially that they'll be able to tweak the game such that you'll be more or less permanently in that state

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

Well hey, this just showed up in my YouTube feed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIgjAM0uh0

Breath of the Wild really is a great example of how to use an open world to make a game better, as compared to a lot of games that use an open world just to make a game longer. When exploration is actually fun and rewarding to do, an open world goes from being something you move through on your way to actually playing the game, to potentially the best part of playing the game.

I've said before that I have no idea where Zelda goes from here but I doubt this is an act they can just repeat. What I hope they carry forward is the emphasis on player freedom--if not Breath of the Wild's wide-open linearity, then its willingness to let the player improvise, play around with the world's rules, and constantly be surprised. I actually kind of hope they don't just uncritically repeat the same open-ended structure that Breath of the Wild has, but learn from it and let it inform something new. It's cool if we go back to having a more character-driven introduction, but let me actually play the game during that, unlike in the couple of 3D Zeldas before Breath of the Wild. It's cool if they bring back some of the classic tools and dole them out in the usual way in dungeons, but let me do unexpected things with them and make them interact well with the game's physics rather than just having designated "this is the thing you use the hookshot for" points scattered around.

Even though I love Breath of the Wild, I know that just doing the same thing again won't have the same magic. It's like how each Dark Souls game got progressively less exciting for me. But I don't want to give up the freedom and the joy of discovering things that Breath of the Wild has, and luckily, I think those are elements that can be carried into a differently structured game, too. (Of course, to go back to Dark Souls, Bloodborne did manage to recapture a lot of that, so maybe keeping a similar structure but in a wildly different setting would work, too.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

squidgee posted:

Ugh Thunderblight Ganon. That was rough.

Yeah it was. (Vah Naboris boss spoilers!)

I didn't have the Master Sword when I fought him, and also I didn't happen to bring any non-metal shields with me. It took me a lot of swearing and dying before I realized when he was thundered up I could just wale on him when he was shield blocking and it would stun him after a couple of hits, while also breaking his shield, meaning I could actually hit him without trying to rely on being able to perfect dodge all of his lightning attacks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ok this game is loving fantastic but so far the bosses are a bit disappointing. I just did the Zora dungeon and while it was cool as hell how it worked and all, it was still underwhelming coming off long proper dungeons like Skyward Sword. Do they get longer/more difficult with time?

The opposite.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

squidgee posted:

Ugh Thunderblight Ganon. That was rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPORdbKYuPI ;)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nope, not really. One of the bosses can be kinda tough, in the Gerudo dungeon, but it's still not too tough, especially if you have a decent shield.

Because you can do the dungeons in any order, none of them are really longer or more difficult than the others. They're cleverly-designed and I don't think what they did would work with bigger dungeons, but I do hope that the next game has full dungeons again.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, there's a piece of cold resistant gear in the tutorial that if you miss it you can't get it again. It's not very good, can't be upgraded, but you might wind up using it if you go off in random directions after the tutorial is over.

Also, if you don't get treasure chests from the insides of the great beasts, those go away permanently when you finish them. The game warns you about this, and generally it's not a big deal to not pick up another sword or bow.

And I think that's literally it.

I went back to his house/shack after clearing the Plateau and the Warm Doublet was there waiting for me?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Going forward with Zelda I would welcome another fun open world to explore that is filled with dungeons and mini dungeons. I want to bomb open obscure poo poo and open a mouth of a cave. I want to find a temple deep in some woods. Ditch the random contents of chests and have something significant to find in each dungeon that makes future exploration easier.

I love how this games handles the exploration. Nothing is really off limits, instead areas become easier to explore. I didn't have cold clothing being the warm tunic from the beginning of the game so when I ventured into snowy mountains I had to wear it and drink an elixir. When the elixir buff went away I had to carry around a flame weapon and be careful not to engage enemies. It was an excellent experience.

This is a long winded way to say I really enjoy finding items that makes exploration easier, not finding items that make exploration possible. I want more of that, a world with proper dungeons to explore, and a different set of powers to use.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

This is a friendly reminder that Korok "Seeds" are actually referred to as their droppings and emit a weird odor.

My 3 year old figured this one out quick. Whenever I find a korok my son yells 'YAHAHHA I POOPED"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

parallelodad posted:

Got a confused text from my kids day care because he was telling them about sneaking up on "Lizard Bros" but then "the blood moon wises once again"
extremely awesome.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wildtortilla posted:

Ditch the random contents of chests and have something significant to find in each dungeon that makes future exploration easier.

The major problem with this is figuring out how to balance "significant" with "feeling like it's required"-- it felt great opening a chest and finding sweet climbing armor, less great to say "poo poo which of these 100 shrines has the missing piece of the rubber armor set" I completed all 120 shrines and never actually found it, so it was probably in some random chest I missed and just bought it from Tarry Town.

For the shrines specifically, I liked the overall gradual increase of power from spirit orbs and the consistent way they were delivered; my only real point of contention is that some of the shrines felt like they should have rewarded multiple orbs based on difficulty/"significance". Eventide or Lanayru Peak rewarding the exact same thing as "hit a ball 5 times with a sledgehammer, hooray a winner is you" felt weird.

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, there's a piece of cold resistant gear in the tutorial that if you miss it you can't get it again.

You can get it from cooking for him or climbing to the top of the mountain in the tutorial, it also apparently is just waiting for you if you missed it, but also you can just buy it in Hatero from the clothing shop.

Harrow posted:

Nope, not really. One of the bosses can be kinda tough, in the Gerudo dungeon, but it's still not too tough, especially if you have a decent shield.

Because you can do the dungeons in any order, none of them are really longer or more difficult than the others. They're cleverly-designed and I don't think what they did would work with bigger dungeons, but I do hope that the next game has full dungeons again.

Honestly I liked the dungeons in BotW (size aside) more than I liked the ones in ALBW where they tried to do the same "you can do them in any order" functionality, explicitly because all the ones in ALBW were one-trick ponies-- there was no "what tool or combination of tools do I use", every dungeon was "this is the Progression Item you need to have in your inventory for this dungeon and every puzzle in this dungeon involves this item and this item alone, because we can't assume you have the other ones at this point in time".

Of things that I hope stick from BotW's game design going forward, "getting every functional tool you need right off the bat" is probably highest on the list. And I think it would work fine with bigger dungeons, because let's be honest: taking the old high ground of OoT (just because that's the one I recall the dungeons of offhand), how "compromised" would the game really be if you were handed all of the adult mid-dungeon items in the Temple of Light? Just about the only thing I could think of would be things like "seeing a type of switch and not knowing you're supposed to use arrows/the hammer on it", but they handled that in this game with the Rune Shrines, so having something similar would solve that issue. And being able to make every dungeon designed so that every ability could be used in a puzzle would make them more interesting, not less, to my mind.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Honestly, I could be happy with them keeping/expanding the map and doing DLC for the next few years; even despite generally disliking the practice.

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.
Last night I was exploring the coast and noticed seagulls flocking over one spot. Remembering my Wind Waker days, I knew "There must be some Secret Collectable there." When I got there, it turned out they were flocking over... a huge school of fish, just like in nature.

And then I shot a shock arrow and scooped up like 20 fish. Felt like a genius.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WEowGA68k ^ ^ ^

RCarr posted:

Is there a reward for completing the compendium? Anything at all?

Yes.

You get a envelope with a picture inside of it. The picture, refers to either impa or pura, but you can't see the actual picture, and anyone (read: the internet) doesn't really know what it's used for at this point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Honestly, I could be happy with them keeping/expanding the map and doing DLC for the next few years; even despite generally disliking the practice.

I generally would agree with "disliking the practice", but:

- Main platform Zelda game means we probably won't see another one until the next console anyways, and

- They got so much right with this iteration that adding DLC to the existing game would basically be the current-year equivalent of what Majora's Mask was to OoT.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

maybe gimme some rad islands and a talking boat? just a thought

e: more rad islands cause of course eventide owns

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I liked the dungeons in BotW (size aside) more than I liked the ones in ALBW where they tried to do the same "you can do them in any order" functionality, explicitly because all the ones in ALBW were one-trick ponies-- there was no "what tool or combination of tools do I use", every dungeon was "this is the Progression Item you need to have in your inventory for this dungeon and every puzzle in this dungeon involves this item and this item alone, because we can't assume you have the other ones at this point in time".

Of things that I hope stick from BotW's game design going forward, "getting every functional tool you need right off the bat" is probably highest on the list. And I think it would work fine with bigger dungeons, because let's be honest: taking the old high ground of OoT (just because that's the one I recall the dungeons of offhand), how "compromised" would the game really be if you were handed all of the adult mid-dungeon items in the Temple of Light? Just about the only thing I could think of would be things like "seeing a type of switch and not knowing you're supposed to use arrows/the hammer on it", but they handled that in this game with the Rune Shrines, so having something similar would solve that issue. And being able to make every dungeon designed so that every ability could be used in a puzzle would make them more interesting, not less, to my mind.

I think ALBW's biggest stumble is the "renting" system, definitely. By handling the tools in a way where you can't be sure the player has more than a couple of them, they did hem themselves in a whole lot with the dungeons. I think I get why they did it--probably a bit gun-shy about just giving you all the tools right away--but it wasn't necessary.

They still could have done dungeons that require multiple items. Just make getting into the dungeon require more than one item and you can reasonably assume the player will have them. Do that and make items always permanent (instead of rented but permanent if you pay a ton of extra rupees) and it'd be pretty great.

I think my dream next Zelda game would be something that takes Breath of the Wild's focus on player freedom and then applies it to a very different setting--head back out to the open ocean for Wind Waker 2.0, or maybe do like an urban, Sheikah magi-tech metropolis or something--and also brings back full dungeons. But with that focus on player freedom, ideally you'll get all your tools early, and so each dungeon can focus on a tool-independent theme that uses multiple tools. My favorite Zelda dungeons are either the ones where the whole dungeon itself is the puzzle (like Ocarina's Water Temple or the dungeons in Breath of the Wild) or the ones where they introduce a theme early on and build on it the whole time (like the Shadow Palace in ALBW).

I would understand if they want to do something more story-driven next time, but I hope there's still some nonlinearity in exploration and a lot of freedom and improvisation capable with the tools. I'd love to see what they could do with a grappling hook or even the hookshot with BotW's style of world design and physics-focused gameplay design.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

- They got so much right with this iteration that adding DLC to the existing game would basically be the current-year equivalent of what Majora's Mask was to OoT.

I was very disappointed when getting lost in the Lost Woods didn't spit me out in Clock Town.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If there's one thing that I would ask of the next Zelda, it's that the dungeons... how do I put this... make sense?

I liked the Divine Beasts because there is a clear purpose for them being in the world. I may not understand the reasons for the mechanisms inside of them, but for me the same is true of any machine. There's a reason they exist, there's a reason they are now dangerous and difficult to navigate, there's a reason to go inside and fix them. They aren't just temples for the sake of temples. It has always baffled me how much of Hyrule is dominated by these bizarre puzzle buildings that are purposely difficult to navigate and exist largely for the sake of hiding something useful or important from the one person who actually needs it; me. I don't want to go back to temples for the sake of temples. Even the Shrines in this game make more sense to me than the temples; each one is some old Sheikah monk's way of teaching me a lesson. Real world proverbs are positively full of old monks giving bizarre object lessons like this to their students. It makes sense to me.

To give a non-BotW example, my favorite dungeons from the past two Zeldas were: Goron Mines and Snowpeak Ruins in Twilight Princess, and Lanayru Mining Facility and the Sandship from Skyward Sword. What do all of these have in common? They're all places that have some reason to exist other than to baffle me. They aren't just temples, they're places that were clearly intended for some other use-- industrial facilities, large residences, an ancient pirate ship-- made dangerous and cryptic by invasion or corruption from an outside force. Going through them felt like I was actually solving a problem rather than just doing a bunch of interconnected puzzles.

I want Zelda to keep that feeling going forward. I want to explore and reclaim spaces that actually feel like they have a reason to exist. Hell, I wouldn't mind more temples, so long as they are more like Corrupted Places of Worship as opposed to Huge Obvious Deathtraps Designed by Crazy People.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

dodongo's cavern in oot was where the gorons went to get tasty rocks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Spergatory posted:

I want Zelda to keep that feeling going forward. I want to explore and reclaim spaces that actually feel like they have a reason to exist. Hell, I wouldn't mind more temples, so long as they are more like Corrupted Places of Worship as opposed to Huge Obvious Deathtraps Designed by Crazy People.

Head to the Forgotten Temple east of Hebra and you can have both! :unsmigghh:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
guy is it just me or is this zelda not a total cakewalk like previous ones?????

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Game owns but I'm real disappointed there's no hookshot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yes but not by much. the last two bosses (going by the dungeon order the game more or less expects you to follow) are tougher.

I hope they put some real effort into the DLC Hard Mode and try to make it transformative. There's a lot of potential for a "second quest" to this game and considering that it's a paid DLC pack I would be very nettled if it wasn't a substantial difference.

General Morden posted:

spotted the sad kid who never played Adventure of Link

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spergatory posted:

If there's one thing that I would ask of the next Zelda, it's that the dungeons... how do I put this... make sense?

I liked the Divine Beasts because there is a clear purpose for them being in the world. I may not understand the reasons for the mechanisms inside of them, but for me the same is true of any machine. There's a reason they exist, there's a reason they are now dangerous and difficult to navigate, there's a reason to go inside and fix them. They aren't just temples for the sake of temples. It has always baffled me how much of Hyrule is dominated by these bizarre puzzle buildings that are purposely difficult to navigate and exist largely for the sake of hiding something useful or important from the one person who actually needs it; me. I don't want to go back to temples for the sake of temples. Even the Shrines in this game make more sense to me than the temples; each one is some old Sheikah monk's way of teaching me a lesson. Real world proverbs are positively full of old monks giving bizarre object lessons like this to their students. It makes sense to me.

To give a non-BotW example, my favorite dungeons from the past two Zeldas were: Goron Mines and Snowpeak Ruins in Twilight Princess, and Lanayru Mining Facility and the Sandship from Skyward Sword. What do all of these have in common? They're all places that have some reason to exist other than to baffle me. They aren't just temples, they're places that were clearly intended for some other use-- industrial facilities, large residences, an ancient pirate ship-- made dangerous and cryptic by invasion or corruption from an outside force. Going through them felt like I was actually solving a problem rather than just doing a bunch of interconnected puzzles.

What would be awesome is spaces you reclaimed that started being used for their intended purpose again. I suppose the twilight realm does this somewhat, but imagine if after clearing, say, the goron mines, you went back and the enemies were gone and walking pathways were restored and it was like another goron settlement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Totally agreed on this. One of the things I appreciate so much about Breath of the Wild's sort of physics- and logic-based puzzles is that they hypothetically allow for dungeons where the puzzles come organically from just navigating the dungeon's space, rather than puzzles that feel like they were constructed specifically to be puzzles. I hope that, if the next Zelda goes back to having full dungeons, it hangs onto that. I don't want to push blocks around because the room needs a puzzle. I want to walk into a room where time and disrepair or other circumstances have made it difficult to get from point A to point B and need to use things that make sense in that environment to traverse it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spergatory posted:

Huge Obvious Deathtraps Designed by Crazy People.

Some of the shrines in BotW feel like this rather than actual tests of skill. Like the one that starts with a long featureless hallway that has a random trap door. Which dumps you into a pool of magma. What the hell is wrong with the monk that designed that???

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the climb up to the zora domain was very tough and grueling but satisfying

like a real adventure

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This talk of dungeons that make sense is great. I think I loved exploring the dark souls games so much because I was exploring a world that existed for reasons. If an area was puzzling it was probably due to some crazy dude making a puzzle palace. I hesitate to cite Minecraft as an example, but when that game came along I loved to dive into caves, lighting my way and having no idea how long I was going to be underground. So I think it'd love to see big, spooky caves and temples (or their equivalent) that make sense within the game world.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah, I liked the divine beasts (especially Naboris) but I would welcome dungeons that were built into the land again.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
As cool as stumbling on setpieces like the Forgotten Temple or Mt Lanayru is, it's kind of disappointing that they're pretty linear and singular in purpose. Kinda sucks to realize that the only structures you'll be spending significant time in are the divine beasts

It got replaced with spending significant time spinning around in circles in Akkala trying to track down all the beeping, but with the open air concept and the map you always kinda have a rough estimate of how long it'll take to get somewhere. Not to mention that most stuff in the game happens at ground level and there aren't many underground or multi-floor structures in the game

Maybe the towers revealing all the terrain in the region is too generous? Idk

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

General Morden posted:

Actually, you can make many different kinds of cakes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

But you can only walk on a few.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh my god, i want to gently caress link

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU