Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

just wanted to pop in and say this show is really fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Oh, yeah, I mean big relative to the usual population density on an Earth with higher sea levels and more than four times as many people.

Not really at the current real-life pace of urbanisation.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

stuart scott posted:

just wanted to pop in and say this show is really fuckin good

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

was anyone else sorta vaguely disappointed when the protomolecule thing came to a head on eros? it just felt so... idk, the combination of reactionless drive, "huge living thing that rapidly overgrows everything" trope, and julie mao's resurrection/replication was just felt like a wave of soft-ish/fantastical elements that came at you pretty much all in the span of an episode, and after a season plus of pretty much the hardest sci fi that's ever been put to screen it kinda felt like a letdown.

I'm over it now; "it's definitely extrasolar in origin" is enough to suspend disbelief and I'm along for the ride. Still, "no FTL, no aliens, no magic artificial gravity, just humans doin human poo poo all over the solar system" was really really fun for the one season it lasted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had the same experience with the books but I think they've handled it well thus far.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

OMGVBFLOL posted:

was anyone else sorta vaguely disappointed when the protomolecule thing came to a head on eros? it just felt so... idk, the combination of reactionless drive, "huge living thing that rapidly overgrows everything" trope, and julie mao's resurrection/replication was just felt like a wave of soft-ish/fantastical elements that came at you pretty much all in the span of an episode, and after a season plus of pretty much the hardest sci fi that's ever been put to screen it kinda felt like a letdown.

I'm over it now; "it's definitely extrasolar in origin" is enough to suspend disbelief and I'm along for the ride. Still, "no FTL, no aliens, no magic artificial gravity, just humans doin human poo poo all over the solar system" was really really fun for the one season it lasted.

Technically all of that is still true about the show. The molecule has not been proven to be an alien intelegence, Eros didn't move FTL nor create artificial gravity. What it did do is manipulate localized space time at the expense of generating tremendous heat.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grand Fromage posted:

I had the same experience with the books but I think they've handled it well thus far.

Were you disappointed with Revelation Space when a Neutron star created a bubble of 1g or Redemption Arc when they discovered how to hide mass in order to reach 99%c faster? Some of the best hard sci-fi introduces theoretical elements that seen fantasy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gohmak posted:

Were you disappointed with Revelation Space when a Neutron star created a bubble of 1g or Redemption Arc when they discovered how to hide mass in order to reach 99%c faster? Some of the best hard sci-fi introduces theoretical elements that seen fantasy

Haven't read either of those and don't see the relevance. I wanted humans tooling around the Solar System with no aliens or anything, then there's alien protomolecule stuff. I was mildly disappointed it would not be exactly what I wanted and then moved on.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Haven't read either of those and don't see the relevance. I wanted humans tooling around the Solar System with no aliens or anything, then there's alien protomolecule stuff. I was mildly disappointed it would not be exactly what I wanted and then moved on.

then you shouldn't have even started watching the show because literally the first scene in the entire series is about the protomolecule

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

then you shouldn't have even started watching the show because literally the first scene in the entire series is about the protomolecule

The Expanse is a lot like Game of Thrones in that regard. Very first scene teases a supernatural element, then we get the hard stuff for an entire season, then at the end of season 1 we get some more magic/alien poo poo and we're off to the races from there. (but still mostly grounded in "reality")

In both cases it's a lot easier for me to play along when the magic/alien poo poo is introduced when they've painstakingly set the stage without it first.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phi230 posted:

The book does not establish it as being alien technology until much later.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

At least they cut the first person shooter zombie run and gun scenes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grand Fromage posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 and Alastair Reynolds A Blue Remembered Earth are both Sol System centric hard sci-fi without aliens.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

At least they cut the first person shooter zombie run and gun scenes.

Thank. God.

That stuff was way too cliche.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snuffman posted:

Thank. God.

That stuff was way too cliche.

Yeah it really lets you zero in on exactly when the books were written. "poo poo, zombies are hot right now, we NEED zombie in this political scify thriller or we'll miss the boat!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Any guesses on how Holden will react once he finds out Naomi didn't send the protomolecule rocket into the Sun?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

enraged_camel posted:

Any guesses on how Holden will react once he finds out Naomi didn't send the protomolecule rocket into the Sun?

I bet he'll only find out in a situation where her having it some how saves the day, which will temper his reaction but he still going to be pissed as gently caress.
It'll be something like "And the only way to stop them would be a sample of pure protomolecule, but we destroyed the last sample. drat!!"
and then she'll pipe up that she totes hid some away, and it will solve the situation, but then the next time they're behind closed doors there will be yelling and breaking up or something. But then they'll get back together after another tense heart to heart (butt 2 butt)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I bet he'll only find out in a situation where her having it some how saves the day, which will temper his reaction but he still going to be pissed as gently caress.
It'll be something like "And the only way to stop them would be a sample of pure protomolecule, but we destroyed the last sample. drat!!"
and then she'll pipe up that she totes hid some away, and it will solve the situation, but then the next time they're behind closed doors there will be yelling and breaking up or something. But then they'll get back together after another tense heart to heart (butt 2 butt)

Yeah, I can see that going down that way.

It will be especially juicy especially after Naomi gave him poo poo for keeping things from her and he was like "ok ok no more secrets between us ;-*"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

Nah Earth is an overpopulated, post-climate change slum with a few nice areas left.

Baltimore is described as being like the undercity of a cyberpunk dystopia

The series is very on the nose about the ultimate conclusion to progressive liberalism.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

gohmak posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 and Alastair Reynolds A Blue Remembered Earth are both Sol System centric hard sci-fi without aliens.

2312 also requires about 500 pages before anything actually happens, just as a warning

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

An enraged caricature of what a nerd thinks how people act.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

The series is very on the nose about the ultimate conclusion to progressive liberalism.

One thing the Expanse franchise has done very well is extrapolate the current neoliberal system

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot stand written Hard Sci-Fi. It puts me to sleep reading all the engineering and scientific details. TV and movie Hard Sci-Fi though, love it. I'd admit that i perfer space opera style adventures but when its done with the quality of the Expanse, i'm down.

I think my problem with the written stuff is many of the writers tend to be engineers and physicists and it comes off reading like a narrative text book.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

twistedmentat posted:

I cannot stand written Hard Sci-Fi. It puts me to sleep reading all the engineering and scientific details. TV and movie Hard Sci-Fi though, love it. I'd admit that i perfer space opera style adventures but when its done with the quality of the Expanse, i'm down.

I think my problem with the written stuff is many of the writers tend to be engineers and physicists and it comes off reading like a narrative text book.

A well written scify can be "hard" but not go into useless wanky engineering chat. The problem of course is the only people with the background to write believable hard scify tend to be STEM/Engineering types and they just can't not go into detail because what else are they going to write, human dialog??? Pfft that's social "science" crap.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

stuart scott posted:

2312 also requires about 500 pages before anything actually happens, just as a warning
Yes, they already established it was by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yes, they already established it was by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I remember hearing that at one point he wanted the AI narrator of Aurora to list every single person on board the generation ship. It would have been several pages.

His editor eventually convinced him that it probably wouldn't go over so well in the audiobook.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Red Mars lost me when they just casually describe how many tanks were launched to build the ship (what was it, like 50 shuttle main tanks supposedly welded together?) given the time-scale presented and then it just went downhill from there.

Not only was the mass involved completely insane but they also want you to suspend your disbelief long enough to expect a bunch of modern-day nation-states to get along and finance a ruinously expensive world mission of exploration. I'm sorry but we got F-35s to build - Can't leave those hangers empty.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

future ghost posted:

I'm sorry but we got F-35s to build - Can't leave those hangers empty.

Mars needs F-35's. We don't want the enemy to have the advantage.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Did I misinterpret it, or was it implied that Amos had that brain magnetization thing done to him? I didn't see anyone mention it but I figured folks would.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 20, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I think he did? I mean, he acted like he had it done to him at the start of the series. He doesn't seem that different.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Solkanar512 posted:

Did I misinterpret it, or was it implied that Amos had that brain magnetization thing done to him? I didn't see anyone mention it but I figured folks would.

My read of that scene was "Oh, that really sounds like what I got." Not that he specifically got microwaved, just that he was microwaved from the start or from other trauma. But I could be wrong.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

He was acting funny to me but I thought the gist of the conversation he had with the scientist was:

Amos: hey you broke brained?
Scientist: yup
Amos: can it be reversed?
Scientist: nope
Amos (thinking): gently caress, probably means no hope for me either

I was under the impression that Amos' moral compass was funky from the start, and there's no real event that happened to him recently where he'd be like ”ok let's go all out with this poo poo now”

He got a lot more personable lately, which is why the most recent mood swing is noticable

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Phi230 posted:

One thing the Expanse franchise has done very well is extrapolate the current neoliberal system

The elimination of material want on earth? :911:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Episode 9 preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_fhxDZyTgk

Cool scene but now I can't unsee the criticism from earlier in this thread- nobody moves in their scenes. LET THEM WALK AROUND!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Cool scene but now I can't unsee the criticism from earlier in this thread- nobody moves in their scenes. LET THEM WALK AROUND!

Ehhh not liking how they changed it from the book its very cliche in this preview

well it was cliche in the book

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They even have most of the Martians slouching in their seats under the gravity :allears:

Come to think of it in the books doesn't Bobbie even need an exoskeleton to walk around comfortably?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Strategic Tea posted:

They even have most of the Martians slouching in their seats under the gravity :allears:

Come to think of it in the books doesn't Bobbie even need an exoskeleton to walk around comfortably?

Nah she doesn't need one.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

People don't usually get up and walk around during committee meetings.

Unless :thejoke:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

That was Blue Mars I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

People don't usually get up and walk around during committee meetings.

Unless :thejoke:

The director can always come up with an excuse to have people move around. And given that they do something to acknowledge the discomfort the martians are experiencing under earth gravity, they could have played it up and probably improved the scene IMO.

Like- have Avasarala get up to get a glass of water even. she glides gracefully across the frame. She pours a glass for Bobbie and gestures for her to come get it- forcing the hulking, powerfully built marine to deal with her new cumbersome weight. Maybe as Bobbie gets close and looks like she's going to fall in to Avasarala, she side-steps and Bobbie goes almost falls in to the table, catching herself.

It'd help support the dynamic of the scene too. Avasarala isn't intimidated by these Martians not just because she's a tough character- but because she knows they're literally out of their element and she can walk circles around them

• Locked thread