Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Maybe it's because 2B inherits her weapon loadout from route A, but during route B I've noticed that she's a lot more deadly in combat than 9S was when I was playing as 2B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
I kind of can't believe how good this was? I expected to enjoy it but this game is really something special.

One of the players that took a hit for me in the end sequence was called "ifapto2B" :911:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Moves that I didn't discover until way too late:

Hold (light attack) to taunt.
Press (jump) and press (pod shoot) at the same time, to whirl your android around the pod and throw it forwards/at a target. Does knockback and covers a lot of distance. Useful for a few big gap jumps.
After a perfectly timed dodge, press (either attack) to do a big shiny counter-attack.
^Press (pod shoot) after a dodge instead to do a big explosive blast from your pod! Big knockback. You've probably done that by accident and not known how. Doesn't work if you're just holding (pod shoot) the whole time, gotta press it in with timing.
When you have multiple pods, hold down your (special ability) button for a few seconds to have all three of them gather around you, release to fire three lasers or whatever at once. Three 'Bomb' things at once can clear a room real good.
You can fire your pod from the back of a moose.
Once you get multiple pods, press your pod-switch button while you're in a Flight Unit to fire lazers or missiles instead of potatoes.

9S can remotely control a bot if he hacks it before it goes aggro on him. You can usually do this by waiting until their backs are turned before rounding a corner. Once he is in a bot body, he can hop into any other bot's body. It's possible to hack and embody the electro-legged stompy huge guys, the drill-faced floating snake guys, the robo-moose charge guys, and the flying guys, although they can't fly higher than you're normally able to jump. A hacked thing has a maximum of three different attacks - (light attack), (pod shoot), and (special ability). Robots with ranged glow cannons are really strong. Getting up to (level+9) from infiltration boost chips makes this ability frightfully overpowered. You can't change your chipset after you've hacked into something, so do it beforehand. You can leave a robot body by self destructing, which does not damage 9S.

For most upgrade chips, there's a bigger jump from +5 to +6 than previously. A +6 weapon damage chip will give you +50% damage. Buying vendor chips to get a big clunky +6 slot is worth it - mix in some smaller found chips if you can, that'll reduce the final chip size, but getting a big +6 chip is better for almost all stats than putting in several small ones.

In the small sewer section outside the amusement park, you can fish for junk. Among the junk, you can find a Pipe that can be used as a small sword. It does poo poo damage in the light attack slot, and best-in-class damage in the heavy attack slot. Every weapon combination does a different swingy attack when you do (light)->(heavy) - dual wielding a beast-sword and a pipe and just repeating that combo was one of the fastest, most powerful, most stunning combos I found, and made mincemeatrobots out of the C/D path on Hard mode.

Regarding your save data after finishing the game, deleting it is optional, and only has a narrative/emotional payoff. When I got to that point, I felt like it was something I wanted to pay forward, and I don't regret leaving the game with <100% trophies.

I have a question about the plot. Did I miss something, or was the loving alien invasion of earth mostly glossed over? I thought the buried mothership with the desiccated mushroom-guy corpses was going to be a pivotal moment in the plot, but it barely mattered. Is the point just that they're dead and forgotten now? Was 'alien invasion' an older red herring just like 'human survivors on the moon' and the big alien arena was phony? I kept expecting some follow-up.

I also have a compliment about the plot, that was beautiful and melancholy and cathartic and I loved it. After the E-side credits, when I realized that there were a bunch of snarky/despair message options, and that not once in three+ full screens of inspirational poo poo from international players did I see anything disparaging, I teared up. I loved the burgeoning conscious in the Pods - I picked up on the hints of that mid-way through and I'm so glad at how it played out.

Did most people use english or japanese voices? I did jap+subtitles because the weird pacing of dubbed conversation takes me out of the moment, and they seemed a little phoned-in at first. I'm also glad that disk spaces are huge enough for that to be an option now.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

StringOfLetters posted:

I have a question about the plot. Did I miss something, or was the loving alien invasion of earth mostly glossed over? I thought the buried mothership with the desiccated mushroom-guy corpses was going to be a pivotal moment in the plot, but it barely mattered. Is the point just that they're dead and forgotten now? Was 'alien invasion' an older red herring just like 'human survivors on the moon' and the big alien arena was phony? I kept expecting some follow-up.

It's just to drive home that the conflict is entirely pointless since both sides have been dead for millennia. The actual "invasion" was real if you can even call it that

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

StringOfLetters posted:

I think that is the point. They're gone and their creation is carrying on without them. We know that Emil was fighting them at one point from Grimoire Nier so maybe they only wanted to use that as a background?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

Maybe it's because 2B inherits her weapon loadout from route A, but during route B I've noticed that she's a lot more deadly in combat than 9S was when I was playing as 2B.

I mean, I think that's how it's supposed to be(haha). 2B is a combat model, 9S is a scanner. He doesn't even have heavy attacks...

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

StringOfLetters posted:

It's kind of a central theme of the game that nothing you do really matters as both sides of the conflict are not only dead, they never really even met each other

StringOfLetters posted:

Did most people use english or japanese voices? I did jap+subtitles because the weird pacing of dubbed conversation takes me out of the moment, and they seemed a little phoned-in at first. I'm also glad that disk spaces are huge enough for that to be an option now.

English dub is really high quality especially in later parts of the game when certain characters start losing it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

I mean, I think that's how it's supposed to be(haha). 2B is a combat model, 9S is a scanner. He doesn't even have heavy attacks...

He does. You use dodge and then use the light attack button and he uses an heavy attack chain of attacks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He does. You dodge and then use the light attack button and he uses an heavy attack chain of attacks.

Oh, poo poo. I just started playing as him, so i haven't actually meleed any enemies yet (just finished the factory opening). Those shmup parts were way better than any of the shmup parts in Route A. I mean, they were still hilariously easy, but they had a really good flow to them and the free-roaming 3rd person parts were really slick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo the start of route C :stare:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dasmause posted:

English dub is really high quality especially in later parts of the game when certain characters start losing it

Kyle McCarley absolutely sells 9S completely losing his loving mind. It's hard to pull off a maniacal cackle that doesn't sound goofy, but he does it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy poo poo the start of route C :stare:

KH2 is truly defeated in the "longest intro until the title card" category

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

He does. You use dodge and then use the light attack button and he uses an heavy attack chain of attacks.

You don't have to dodge, pausing after first hit is enough.

You can also do a launcher by attacking at the start of a jump (heavy attacking as 2B), and if you press attack while gliding with pod your character will do a little twirl that will give them more air, but I think you stop gliding right after

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

KH2 is truly defeated in the "longest intro until the title card" category

It shows up in Route B

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Basic plot question: Are the operators human? I ask because they claim to be. There's lots of talk about 'humans on the moon', but then everyone on the surface looks human but isn't, or are they? One guy says he has his 'original leg' i.e. he's human?

Then that other android, jerkass or whatever, is studing androids as if humans haven't been around for thousands of years. Is this all going to be answered later or should I already know this? I'm close to the first ending now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They're all androids

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

redreader posted:

Basic plot question: Are the operators human? I ask because they claim to be. There's lots of talk about 'humans on the moon', but then everyone on the surface looks human but isn't, or are they? One guy says he has his 'original leg' i.e. he's human?

Then that other android, jerkass or whatever, is studing androids as if humans haven't been around for thousands of years. Is this all going to be answered later or should I already know this? I'm close to the first ending now.

Assume anyone human-looking is an android for now.

Also the operators aren't claiming to be human; the Bunker isn't a moon base, it's just an orbiting satellite.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

WRT to the guy who still has his original leg, I took it more as he's the walking representation of that sock/ship dilemna: ie, when you've replaced every part of something, is it still that same thing? He's replaced every part of himself other than his left leg and he's hesitant to do so because of his sense of self.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

redreader posted:

Nobody in YoRHa or the Resistance is human. He means "original leg" as in it's the leg he was assembled with and he hasn't replaced it with spare parts since.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

WRT to the guy who still has his original leg, I took it more as he's the walking representation of that sock/ship dilemna: ie, when you've replaced every part of something, is it still that same thing? He's replaced every part of himself other than his left leg and he's hesitant to do so because of his sense of self.

That's exactly what it is, yeah. The androids pose a lot of questions like that, like the weapons dealer who wonders if he's really just making his friends die even faster by giving them the means to fight, or the guy getting ready to make a feast when the humans come back, but wondering if there's any reason for androids to be around when that happens.

This is why I'm trying to encourage anyone who plays this to go through the subquests when they can.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm surprised the game rarely draws attention to just how full of potential existential horror it is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

This is why I'm trying to encourage anyone who plays this to go through the subquests when they can.

Re: sidequests, route C spoiler:
Big and little sister machines :( I made 2B wear your bows, too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One question that's still nagging at me (A/B spoilers): When Eve goes berserk, his tattoo completely envelops his body and he gains the mark of the Watchers from Drakengard. Is this explained anywhere, or is it just a little reference to the series' chronology?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Vermain posted:

One question that's still nagging at me (A/B spoilers): When Eve goes berserk, his tattoo completely envelops his body and he gains the mark of the Watchers from Drakengard. Is this explained anywhere, or is it just a little reference to the series' chronology?

Nope. No explanation.

The boring explanation is that it's coincidental and caused by the machines integrating data about the White Chlorination Syndrome crisis, the Queen and the Legion into their network so it manifests in weird ways like the logic virus corruption being identical to the red eyes condition of those who gain a pact with the Queen, Eve's symbols and the hologirls' resemblance to Manah

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Vermain posted:

The Terminals in the tower are also very clearly referencing Manah and the Watchers, with the way their voices warp from cute girl to magnanimous elderly man. Right now it seems to really just be a reference, but there's clearly some theorycrafting you can get lost in there.

I want to say the Dragoon Lance is also related to Caim/Angelus but I haven't upgraded that yet.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

Second most plausible explanation: something handwavey about the machine network picking up bits and pieces of human history/other timelines/watcher influence/quantum computing/mumble mumble

Most plausible explanation: it was added due to rule of cool and if ever justified at all it will be in a tie-in manga/drama CD/novel/short story/art book in the grand Drakengard tradition

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

I have a silly pet theory based on absolutely no real evidence save circumstantial is (Route D spoilers) the Machine Network eventually becomes the Watchers in the future after they have their singularity moment as embodied in Ending D.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It took a while but I'm fresh off of beating Breath of the Wild! Really fun game, enjoyed every second of it. It made me really happy you know? Just so full of joy and optimism. It's such a fun and uplifting game that makes you feel really good about yourself.

Whelp, so much for that! *breaks seal on new Nier Automata copy* :getin:

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 20, 2017

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

StringOfLetters posted:

One more for you, dodge + attack button performs an evasive move that sends 2B back a good ways as she throws her weapon forward. This is different from the perfect dodge -> counter. I can't recall off the top of my head but I've had it work with small sword and spear in either slot, but not large sword in heavy. The timing is also a bit strict, has to be near simultaneous. Give it a try!

On one hand it annoys me when games with lots of different attacks don't tell you about them, but at the same time it's also fun discovering them on your own via experimentation.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm a bit sad my pet theory that the aliens and the Watchers are the same and Automata would end by them being sent into Drakengard's past along with a whole city ended up not being true

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Ending E spoilers: That was so amazing! Do I have to play through the credits again to get the option to delete my save file again though? I definitely want to delete, but I said no to the first question and I really don't want to lose other people's save files to get to the decision again.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Augus posted:

It took a while but I'm fresh off of beating Breath of the Wild! Really fun game, enjoyed every second of it. It made me really happy you know? Just so full of joy and optimism. It's such a fun and uplifting game that makes you feel really good about yourself.

Whelp, so much for that! *breaks seal on new Nier Automata copy*
There ya go! Climb that ladder of optimism to the highest diving board before jumping into the pool of despair that has no water in it! We're all with you!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

StringOfLetters posted:

Hold (light attack) to taunt.
After a perfectly timed dodge, press (either attack) to do a big shiny counter-attack.

Holding light attack as 2b does a combo that covers a lot of forward distance, distinct from tapping it, I'm pretty sure. Holding it as 9S does a throw attack, with different behaviours for the different weapon types (spear is best).
The different attacks after a perfect dodge actually do different things! Light attack is an air launcher, heavy is a series of quick slashes.
Jump and then heavy attack (light for 9S I think) does a rising attack. Useful for knocking stuff into the air, hitting flyers or for some platforming. Kind of weird timing to it though.
... You can hold the jump button to grab onto the pod and slowly float down. Took me way to long to figure that one out.

You can break the dark energy orb attacks with melee.
The flight unit has a light melee in both forms, a heavy melee with a ranged shockwave in gundam form, and... some sort of heavy shield or something? in jet form.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

I'm surprised the game rarely draws attention to just how full of potential existential horror it is.

It doesn't make an habit of explicitly spelling anything out for its player really. Good and bad (Bad in terms of game tutorials). A lot of Automata gives back what you put in so if you sit here thinking about the implications of what X or Y meant, it'll make the story pay off more strongly than for someone who doesn't think about that.

This is never truer than in Ending E, where if you speed run it and get to E in 16 hours and do no side content, sacrificing that save is nothing compared to sacrificing a 50 hour save with almost everything complete,
but that also gives a greater perspective on what was sacrificed and what yours means too.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Mazerunner posted:

The different attacks after a perfect dodge actually do different things! Light attack is an air launcher, heavy is a series of quick slashes.

Depends on the weapon instead of the attack type, actually. Short swords are a launcher, large swords do a swing and a throw, spears spin around your body with really good knockback, and bracers are an uppercut (I think). It does the same thing in either slot so you can mix it up whenever you want!

I did not realize that the damage ranges on each weapon meant its value in the light/heavy slots, though. That seems so obvious but for whatever reason I thought it meant it'd do that range of damage. Boy is that going to help optimization in my second run.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There's a goddamned fast travel system. I'm grateful and all, but... Well I just feel really loving dumb spending all that time hauling rear end back and forth over the map until now. So here are some general, non-spoilery questions: do you need a specific spot from each body of water for certain fish, or is the entire thing running on the same loot table? Unrelated to that, is there also a recommended level for yourself and the weapons before taking on the 4th Father Servo quest? I completed the 3rd one with my current level 3 equipment in the mid-20s, but it took ages.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Just finished B route. I guess I expected it to be more different than it was? At least it looks C and D are something totally new?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Emron posted:

Just finished B route. I guess I expected it to be more different than it was? At least it looks C and D are something totally new?

Oh boy

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It doesn't make an habit of explicitly spelling anything out for its player really. Good and bad (Bad in terms of game tutorials). A lot of Automata gives back what you put in so if you sit here thinking about the implications of what X or Y meant, it'll make the story pay off more strongly than for someone who doesn't think about that.

This is never truer than in Ending E, where if you speed run it and get to E in 16 hours and do no side content, sacrificing that save is nothing compared to sacrificing a 50 hour save with almost everything complete,
but that also gives a greater perspective on what was sacrificed and what yours means too.

The lovely thing about the original Nier were the implications too so I get you. Like nobody's actually gonna spell out to you how the second playthrough makes Kainé an incredibly morally complicated character or hell even humanity's extinction when it happens on screen. You had to put 2 and 2 together there and you have to do the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Nina posted:

There are a lot of robots who gradually become self aware, and then kill themselves.