Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

0toShifty posted:

A friend has a 1994 Jetta that had a previous life as an audio competition car. It had wacky 90s high end stereo equipment, crossovers, eq, many amps, and the best part? Yes, it had a Minidisc changer in the trunk.

Speaking of 1994, here's something obsolete and failed. You have a calendar, agenda, world clock, phonebook, calculator, unit conversion, memo, fortune telling, matchmaker AND you could send text messages to other SECRET SENDER 6000s by infrared! You could also use that sensor as a universal remote for your TV and VCR. This one was certainly a toy directed at girls, but you can just see some dumb future technology archaeologist saying FORERUNNER OF SMARTPHONE! Casio ruled back then.

Reminded me of the remote control watch which isn't failed and is in fact the coolest poo poo ever. Friend in middle school had one and any roll-away TV in the classroom would get checked for power. There are different infrared signal types according to brand or something, so once he found the right setting for the TV or VCR the shenanigans would happen. Teachers getting mad at technology is never not funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Elsa posted:

Reminded me of the remote control watch which isn't failed and is in fact the coolest poo poo ever. Friend in middle school had one and any roll-away TV in the classroom would get checked for power. There are different infrared signal types according to brand or something, so once he found the right setting for the TV or VCR the shenanigans would happen. Teachers getting mad at technology is never not funny

I was an insufferable little poo poo in middle school and this thing was a goddamned weapon of terror in my filthy little hands. I had this one...

It was fairly easy to program it quickly and once you memorized the 2 digit codes for all the popular brands you could gently caress poo poo up. I had many teachers on the edge of breakdown from messing around during what should have been an easy day for them. TV goes off. That's weird. He goes and turns it back on. Video pauses, then rewinds just as he gets back to his desk after unpairing it. A few minutes to by... Mute. And on and on and on. God drat was I a poo poo kid. I never got caught either. I can't imagine how much troubleshooting the AV people had to do after the teacher insisted that the video rig was haunted by a malevolent spirit.

Even better than loving around at school was going to the mall. Food court TVs? Static at top volume. Program that hosed for Sony and go over to Sears and watch two dozen TVs flip on at off all at once. So much mayhem for such a little gadget. I don't know if my mom ever figured out why I wanted that thing for my birthday so badly.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I was an insufferable little poo poo in middle school and this thing was a goddamned weapon of terror in my filthy little hands. I had this one...

It was fairly easy to program it quickly and once you memorized the 2 digit codes for all the popular brands you could gently caress poo poo up. I had many teachers on the edge of breakdown from messing around during what should have been an easy day for them. TV goes off. That's weird. He goes and turns it back on. Video pauses, then rewinds just as he gets back to his desk after unpairing it. A few minutes to by... Mute. And on and on and on. God drat was I a poo poo kid. I never got caught either. I can't imagine how much troubleshooting the AV people had to do after the teacher insisted that the video rig was haunted by a malevolent spirit.

Even better than loving around at school was going to the mall. Food court TVs? Static at top volume. Program that hosed for Sony and go over to Sears and watch two dozen TVs flip on at off all at once. So much mayhem for such a little gadget. I don't know if my mom ever figured out why I wanted that thing for my birthday so badly.

:dance:

sometimes it took a while and we assumed he gave up. Then when the volume shot up or something it caught us by surprise and became funnier to realize he'd been working on it all along instead of paying attention :laffo:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Elsa posted:

:dance:

sometimes it took a while and we assumed he gave up. Then when the volume shot up or something it caught us by surprise and became funnier to realize he'd been working on it all along instead of paying attention :laffo:

A few of my delinquent friends were in on it but they never gave me up. We were all just glancing at each other, stifling laughter as the teacher went totally apeshit trying to keep up with whatever I was telling the TV and VCR to do. The rest of the class was just befuddled and annoyed that they couldn't complete the worksheet on the video about what happens when frogs gently caress or whatever.

I think I'd like to have one again for nostalgia purposes. You think your retro Casio calculator watch is cool? BAM! Now your TV is off. Get the gently caress out of here.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

A few of my delinquent friends were in on it but they never gave me up. We were all just glancing at each other, stifling laughter as the teacher went totally apeshit trying to keep up with whatever I was telling the TV and VCR to do. The rest of the class was just befuddled and annoyed that they couldn't complete the worksheet on the video about what happens when frogs gently caress or whatever.

I think I'd like to have one again for nostalgia purposes. You think your retro Casio calculator watch is cool? BAM! Now your TV is off. Get the gently caress out of here.

Hell yeah I have a feeling I'm about to buy one.

In high school, the same guy had a Beavis and Butthead sound effects toy that resembled a keyless entry fob. During large student gatherings he'd use it. Any sort of innuendo words resulted in very faint but distinct "yeah huh huhuh huh cornholio huh huhuh teepeeformybunghole!" from somewhere in the crowd.

There was a sex ed day in the theater and it was loving amazinggg when it was time for the woman to demonstrate a condom with a cucumber. Holy poo poo.

I tried to find a picture or a source but nada. Because that too would still be fun

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Elsa posted:

Hell yeah I have a feeling I'm about to buy one.

In high school, the same guy had a Beavis and Butthead sound effects toy that resembled a keyless entry fob. During large student gatherings he'd use it. Any sort of innuendo words resulted in very faint but distinct "yeah huh huhuh huh cornholio huh huhuh teepeeformybunghole!" from somewhere in the crowd.

There was a sex ed day in the theater and it was loving amazinggg when it was time for the woman to demonstrate a condom with a cucumber. Holy poo poo.

I tried to find a picture or a source but nada. Because that too would still be fun

I would have loved that Beavis and Butthead toy. I'm sure that I wouldn't have been able to contain myself and it would have been confiscated the first day I brought it to school.

Which reminded me of this...

Anyone remember those? Each button made a stupid gun or explosion sound. They could be found at any gas station toy rack in the early 90's. RATTTATATATAT BWEEEOOOOO PSSSSHHHHH ELLLELLEEEEELLEEEEELEEEELLL DOOOODLEDOOODLEDOOODLE KOOOOOSHHH. A device that had no other purpose than to annoy people. When the battery started to die it just sounded like electronic Satan loving a reversed Black Sabbath album.

On the same subject, maybe someone knows about another noisemaker I had. I wanna say it was a yakbak but nothing that comes up in a search is right. It was round and had a collapsible megaphone horn. On the back it had a grill opening to speak into and a few buttons to morph your voice or play a selection of intensely irritating cartoon sound effects.

One of my first jobs out.of high school was as a janitor at a cereal factory. There was a facility wide PA system. You pick up a phone, dial a number and after the beep whatever you say gets blasted through a hundred loudspeakers in every corner of that HUGE factory. It's meant to page another person in the facility but it was also very good for using that dumb sound effects toy to broadcast a bunch of fart sounds, distorted sex grunts, kookoo clock and boingy boner spring noises to a bunch of angry bosses and mildy amused cereal factory workers.

I figure that qualifies as obsolete tech cause I haven't seen any goofy noisemaker toys around in a long while. We have smartphone soundboards that do all that for us now.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Don't worry guys, remote control shenanigans are still alive today since TVs haven't changed. Everyoen who has an android phone with an IR LED is sure to be blasting at beamers, TVs and everything else IR controlled.
Since TV sessions were the best, I don't think anyone had any reason to want to mess with them tho.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I had one of these bad boys:

Put the speaker against the mouthpiece, push a button, and voila! Who had time to push SEVEN or more buttons?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
My current phone has IR. Handy for the moments where you have to tune a TV during some tech check.

My annoying gadget at school was a watch that spoke the time. It came from the infamous Innovations home order catalogue and caught my 12 year old eye as being a cool thing for a birthday and so I got it.
It was LOUD. *DONG* THE-TIME-IS-9-45-A-M. And the announce button slowly wore and became a hair trigger. On top of that it had assorted horrid alarms and tones from a rooster crow to a deliberately off-key theme to The Godfather prompting it being confiscated several times at school.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm glad someone actually did this, I remember always wanting to get some universal IR device and gently caress with mall TVs and poo poo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had one of these bad boys:

Put the speaker against the mouthpiece, push a button, and voila! Who had time to push SEVEN or more buttons?

I had a Casio Databank DB-C60

Didn't have the ability to dial for you, but it did have that tiny little keyboard. Wore that thing from the ages of 9-12.

I wanted on of these:

An analog Casio Databank? How did that work?

Sadly, I was never able to afford one of these on my allowance. I remember they were $220 at Service Merchandise around 1991. So it was either this or a Super Nintendo. I made the right decision.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about Service Merchandise

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Speaking of long-dead retail chains, I never understood why places like Caldor or Bradlees went out of business when identical chains like Kohl's or Marshall's/TJ Maxx soldiered on.

I guess the same could be said for places like Circuit City/CompUSA/Nobody Beats the Wiz vs. Best Buy/Fry's/Microcenter, but that's more of a niche market nowadays I suppose.

I liked Bradlees because my mom would always buy me a pretzel and an Icee and let me go play Streets of Rage on the demo Genesis while she shopped. Oh, youth :sigh:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

electronic Satan loving a reversed Black Sabbath album.

As a fan of both Sabbath and Satan (redundant?) I would pay actual money for an album like that.

Also, this:

Lowen SoDium posted:

An analog Casio Databank?

:aaaaa:

Thanks for posting about that. Gonna jump on eBay for a quick search. Totally unrelated.

edit: only one for sale @ $250. More than I expected! Then again, $220 in 1991 money is drat near $400 today.

Trabant has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Kelp Me! posted:

Speaking of long-dead retail chains, I never understood why places like Caldor or Bradlees went out of business when identical chains like Kohl's or Marshall's/TJ Maxx soldiered on.

I guess the same could be said for places like Circuit City/CompUSA/Nobody Beats the Wiz vs. Best Buy/Fry's/Microcenter, but that's more of a niche market nowadays I suppose.

I liked Bradlees because my mom would always buy me a pretzel and an Icee and let me go play Streets of Rage on the demo Genesis while she shopped. Oh, youth :sigh:

I miss Incredible Universe. I can understand why they went out, but it was cool as hell walking in to separate rooms all dedicated to single consoles especially the ones nobody I knew owned. 3DO, Neo Geo, Turbografx 16, Philips CDi, Atari Jaguar, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

I miss Incredible Universe. I can understand why they went out, but it was cool as hell walking in to separate rooms all dedicated to single consoles especially the ones nobody I knew owned. 3DO, Neo Geo, Turbografx 16, Philips CDi, Atari Jaguar, etc.

Your username/AV text brings all kinds of weird memories back, too :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kelp Me! posted:

It's not fair to lump Microcenter in with any of those. They're probably the most pure form of what any of those stores have tried to be, which is probably why they're great. If I need a basic RCA Left/Right stereo cable, I can find it there for cheap. If I went to Best Buy, you can't find one that isn't overpriced, or way too big. Oh and good luck finding any kind of adaptor for it at Best Buy.

In other words Microcenter rules

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not fair to lump Microcenter in with any of those. They're probably the most pure form of what any of those stores have tried to be, which is probably why they're great. If I need a basic RCA Left/Right stereo cable, I can find it there for cheap. If I went to Best Buy, you can't find one that isn't overpriced, or way too big. Oh and good luck finding any kind of adaptor for it at Best Buy.

Microcenter and Fry's are a different beast from your Circuit Cities and Best Buys of the world. They're what Radio Shack used to be combined with what radio shack became and still better than either.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

True, I guess. Microcenter is a really great store for that reason, I guess it's more accurate to ask why Best Buy stayed around when Circuit City/The Wiz went down since they're the most similar.

I definitely remember buying a book on Netscape Navigator and a Creative Live! sound card at CompUSA :(

Also remember a very bored-looking clerk at The Wiz not questioning the fact that a TI-83 rang up as a little $10 scientific calculator, with an additional 70% off due to store closing. That building is a Best Buy now :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, last time I went into Best Buy, I'm surprised they can afford to keep the lights on.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had this iPod:

Otherwise known as the fatty iPod. I used it to watch Clone High on a shuttle bus. When Apple had their most recentiPod retrospective they actually failed to mention that one. I kind of liked it although I appear to be the only one.

I still use mine at the gym and when I'm jogging.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I had a Casio Databank DB-C60

Didn't have the ability to dial for you, but it did have that tiny little keyboard. Wore that thing from the ages of 9-12.

I wore one of those until about 2009, when I realized that my phone had taken over every function it served except for "glance at wrist for time", and I switched to an analog face watch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really wish Sandisk or whoever would update their little $20 MP3 players to take SDXC so i can put a 128GB card in and have my whole collection in one spot.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mammal Sauce posted:

There was this small chain called Media Play in the 90s that was nice. Could get books, music and movies all in one place. Went to the one in Gainesville, FL a lot, then it up and shut down one day.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Keith Atherton posted:

My best friend in junior high had an Atari 2600 but my dad was loyal to the Magnavox store in town

So for Christmas in 1981 we got this:

I have this in my basement with basically every game cartridge that came out for it.

PM me if you'd like to sell that.

:)

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

The glorious Radio Shack Pocket Tone Dialer. The intended use was you could program in some commonly used numbers, it had a little speaker on the back, so you held the device up to the phone mouthpiece and it would play the DTMF tones to dial the number. Handy!

What the most common use was, was turning it into a Red Box. A device that would play the tones a payphone used to signal the switching center that money was put in. By replacing a crystal inside the Radio Shack dialer, you could make the * button emit a tone close enough to fool a payphone. The replacement crystals were difficult to get in the pre-Mouser and Digikey days, so you ended up buying them from various shady people on the web.

Radio Shack knew full well what teenagers wanting a tone dialer were planning to do. Trying to buy one of these from your local Radio Shack was like trying to buy cigarettes underage. You hung around and waited for the cool-looking employee to run the cash register. There were a lot of stories of Radio Shack employees refusing to sell these to kids because they drat well knew all they were trying to do was to build a Red Box.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why the hell would any Radio Shack employee give a poo poo about what you were doing short of building a bomb?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
back in the good old days retailers had ethics

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Imagined posted:

Why the hell would any Radio Shack employee give a poo poo about what you were doing short of building a bomb?

When I worked there literally the only time I gave a poo poo was if someone was trying to activate/buy a cell phone with fake info, but only because the sale would end up getting reversed and they'd yank my commission off the sale. Other than that, I think I warned a kid once that the battery he was trying to buy for his vape would burst into flames if he used it for such, but that's about it. I would tell people if they were obviously buying the wrong cable or adapter but only because it was easier in the long run than not giving a poo poo at all.

I also loved nailing shoplifters but that was more out of boredom than any actual company loyalty

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kelp Me! posted:

When I worked there literally the only time I gave a poo poo was if someone was trying to activate/buy a cell phone with fake info, but only because the sale would end up getting reversed and they'd yank my commission off the sale. Other than that, I think I warned a kid once that the battery he was trying to buy for his vape would burst into flames if he used it for such, but that's about it. I would tell people if they were obviously buying the wrong cable or adapter but only because it was easier in the long run than not giving a poo poo at all.

I also loved nailing shoplifters but that was more out of boredom than any actual company loyalty

So, did you quit last week?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No I quit like 3 years ago right before the first bankruptcy

I do kind of miss having a job braindead enough that I could go smoke a bowl in the basement stockroom whenever I wanted

e: gently caress that reminds me I think the one by me closes today, gonna go see what random poo poo I can get at 70% off :hellyeah:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Kelp Me! posted:

Caldor or Bradlees

sup MA goon

Iron Crowned posted:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

True, I guess. Microcenter is a really great store for that reason, I guess it's more accurate to ask why Best Buy stayed around when Circuit City/The Wiz went down since they're the most similar.

I'm reasonably certain Best Buy makes all its money off phones and service plans. In that sense they are a more successful version of Radio Shack, but without all the batteries.

And Microcenter is a loving shrine to all that is good in electronics retailing. It's still packed every time I go there so the world is a just place.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

whiteyfats posted:

There was this small chain called Media Play in the 90s that was nice. Could get books, music and movies all in one place. Went to the one in Gainesville, FL a lot, then it up and shut down one day.

Media Play used to be my paradise when I was a kid.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

DicktheCat posted:

Media Play used to be my paradise when I was a kid.

This post just reminded me that Suncoast Motion Picture Company existed. It seemed like every mall had one and they were always awesome. Had so many rare movies.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm reasonably certain Best Buy makes all its money off phones and service plans. In that sense they are a more successful version of Radio Shack, but without all the batteries.

And Microcenter is a loving shrine to all that is good in electronics retailing. It's still packed every time I go there so the world is a just place.

You're probably pretty close on Best Buy, given their little cell phone shops in malls.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Iirc a big part of the reason Best Buy stays around is because they rent out their floor space to other retailers. That's why you find stuff like household appliances and all that jazz in Best Buy, because it's a third party retailer selling through BB.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I see your CompUSA and raise you a ComputerCity. Growing up I had the best of both worlds as they were only 15 minutes away and approximately 5 miles down the road from eachother.

We bought both our Packard Bell Pentium 60 and a Custom Ordered ComputerCity PII 350mhz system from that location. The ComputerCity location closed in 1998 when they were purchased by CompUSA. The CompUSA held on for a few more years before they too were closed. Lots of memories at both stores.

Luckily where I am now, there's a Microcenter in driving distance and it's awesome.

JayKay has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 20, 2017

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JayKay posted:

I see your CompUSA and raise you a ComputerCity. Growing up I had the best of both worlds as they were only 15 minutes away and approximately 5 miles down the road from eachother.

We bought both our Packard Bell Pentium 60 and a Custom Ordered ComputerCity PII 350mhz system from that location. The ComputerCity location closed in 1998 when they were purchased by CompUSA. The CompUSA held on for a few more years before they too were closed. Lots of memories at both stores.

Luckily where I am now, there's a Microcenter in driving distance and it's awesome.

I loved my infrequent trips to Computer City. Mainly because they were like the only place I could ever find games for my Mac (outside of shareware on MacAddict CDs).

It was also the first place I saw a black computer (Acer Aspire?). I remember thinking it was weird and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trebek posted:

This post just reminded me that Suncoast Motion Picture Company existed. It seemed like every mall had one and they were always awesome. Had so many rare movies.

Oh, poo poo, I remember them. One closest to me had a pretty good selection.