Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

For me, DS9 Worf is pretty much epitomized in "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."

Also: whatup Trek thread, I've been out of it for awhile. Is Discovery gonna come out and will it suck real bad? I heard Jason Isaacs was cast as the captain, that's gotta be okayish I guess, right?

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Well DS9 Worf may have been a loose cannon but at least he got to smash poo poo and be the hardass Klingon instead of the punching bag for the superalien of the week on the Enterprise.

Well except for when he was a literal punching bag for those Jem' Hadar soldiers at the prison asteroid

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Well DS9 Worf may have been a loose cannon but at least he got to smash poo poo and be the hardass Klingon instead of the punching bag for the superalien of the week on the Enterprise.

Well except for when he was a literal punching bag for those Jem' Hadar soldiers at the prison asteroid

He beat all of them and then beat the leaders willingness to fight. That was Worf's finest hour.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, he won every fight except the last one, that's hardly punching bag status. There's a reason Martok was creaming his jeans the entire time.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I meant more in the sense that they were training on him but yea, that was pretty bad rear end the way he broke them.

I couldn't help but lol a bit though at the end when the first is like "I yield" and the Vorta is like eh whatever shoot him. drat brutal if you ask me

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drone posted:

For me, DS9 Worf is pretty much epitomized in "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."

Also: whatup Trek thread, I've been out of it for awhile. Is Discovery gonna come out and will it suck real bad? I heard Jason Isaacs was cast as the captain, that's gotta be okayish I guess, right?

Get out while you still can.

Also DS9 Worf is great because it shows that Worf wasn't just a stick in the mud because he had no role on TNG except getting shot down every five minutes, he was a stick in the mud because it turns out he's just a stick, in the mud, not an actual Klingon except for like three episodes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I began to understand Worf much better as a character when you don't read him as a Klingon, but as a guy who was raised in Minsk.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pacra posted:

New crewmate Kathy Li comes aboard the enterprise. Sulu is smitten, but unfortunately for him...

One thing of note is that Kathy Li is based on a real-life person of the same name that Peter David met through Star Trek discussion groups on USENET; he became fond enough of her that he wrote her into the comic as a character, hence the real-life closeup there.

They also met IRL: http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/02/22/comic-con-1992-part-1/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

Is Discovery gonna come out

It was delayed from May to an unspecified point this year. Filming began on January 23. Best guess is August at the earliest.

quote:

and will it suck real bad?

Probably. Everything about its development and production has been an utter shitshow.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

One thing I find weird about Worf is that he has more trouble defeating Gowron the second time despite the fact that since the first time he's fought those Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light and presumably more in the Dominion war. The other thing I find strange is when he later explains that he was going to throw the fight against the last Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light because he was growing weary of battle but isn't constant battle the Klingon afterlife?

Memory Alpha posted:

Sto-vo-kor (or Sto'Vo'Kor) was, in Klingon mythology, the afterlife for the honored dead, where all true warriors went after they died to fight an eternal battle against great enemies

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gowron had a sword and probably had a lot of practice using it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Death Zebra posted:

The other thing I find strange is when he later explains that he was going to throw the fight against the last Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light because he was growing weary of battle but isn't constant battle the Klingon afterlife?

That's why Martok didn't commit suicide after being captured, for sure.

I don't think Worf was going to throw the fight, though, he was just really beat up (though not in spirit, thanks to his Klingon mind-meld with Martok) and was going to lose.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Death Zebra posted:

One thing I find weird about Worf is that he has more trouble defeating Gowron the second time despite the fact that since the first time he's fought those Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light and presumably more in the Dominion war. The other thing I find strange is when he later explains that he was going to throw the fight against the last Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light because he was growing weary of battle but isn't constant battle the Klingon afterlife?

Probably constant in the sense of neverending rather than literally every single moment; you'd still get down times to drink raktajino and whatever.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The Klingon afterlife is like a first person shooter. When you don't want to fight you can just dick around in the lobby; trashtalking other people in chat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DON'T GET BETWEEN ME AND THE BLOOD WIIIIINE!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

One thing of note is that Kathy Li is based on a real-life person of the same name that Peter David met through Star Trek discussion groups on USENET; he became fond enough of her that he wrote her into the comic as a character, hence the real-life closeup there.

They also met IRL: http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/02/22/comic-con-1992-part-1/

That's awesome, I love stuff like this. I was too young for the pinnacle of usenet :sigh:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

vermin posted:

The Klingon afterlife is like a first person shooter. When you don't want to fight you can just dick around in the lobby; trashtalking other people in chat.

==24/7 Battle of Tong Vey== (NO AWP/SWORD OF KAHLESS)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Now all I can imagine are a bunch of 12-year-old Klingons screeching "PETA'Q" and Romulan racial slurs at each other for eternity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

It was delayed from May to an unspecified point this year. Filming began on January 23. Best guess is August at the earliest.

Probably. Everything about its development and production has been an utter shitshow.

They've started filming the second episode! It's nearly the end of March, so they'll finish... 2018?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So discovery is a real thing with actual actors and scripts and sets and cameras that work? Like it's actually going to be mad and potentially seen by people?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The red flag for me is them making Sarek a big deal. That's something Blizzard Entertainment does all the time and they're great at squandering good ideas.

Take a bit character from a beloved intellectual property, bring them into the plot no matter how forced, give them a lot of mystical unforeseen importance, and have otherwise serviceable stories and characters shackle themselves to how cool the chosen one character is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Baronjutter posted:

So discovery is a real thing with actual actors and scripts and sets and cameras that work? Like it's actually going to be mad and potentially seen by people?

That's the rumor. However, that's all it is at this point.

A vague rumor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Discovery is less likely to succeed at this point than Star Citizen, and that's saying something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Discovery isn't literally a cult so I think comparisons to Star Citizen are a little overwrought, but for my part I've heard from someone who worked on the sets that the production is a mess, which would seem to corroborate some of the rumours about it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pacra posted:

That's awesome, I love stuff like this. I was too young for the pinnacle of usenet :sigh:

Nah, I think that today's world is even more egalitarian, and you have exponentially more chances to interact with actors and writers.

Back in the Usenet and early Con days, those sorts of encounters and relationships were far and few between. Nowadays, you can talk on twitter live with your favorite actors, writers, directors, and showrunners. They post on internet discussion groups and have facebook pages.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Even if Discovery's production is a mess, that seems to be a pretty common thread for starting a Star Trek series.

TOS had the infamous "bin the whole pilot and start over" experience.
TNG had a documentary called "Chaos on the Bridge" for a reason.
Voyager had their lead drop out after filming started and they had to reshoot everything she did.
Enterprise had to reshoot several days worth of Scott Bakula's scenes for the pilot because an exec didn't like the way his hair was styled. (So says Fifty Year Mission)

It's uncommon but not unheard of in modern TV too. Hell, the pilot of Game of Thrones remains unaired to this day because it was apparently so bad.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 21, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My expectations for Discovery are pretty low but I don't think it's definitely 100% going to be bad.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

macnbc posted:

Even if Discovery's production is a mess, that seems to be a pretty common thread for starting a Star Trek series.

TOS had the infamous "bin the whole pilot and start over" experience.
TNG had a documentary called "Chaos on the Bridge" for a reason.
Voyager had their lead drop out after filming started and they had to reshoot everything she did.
Enterprise had to reshoot several days worth of Scott Bakula's scenes for the pilot because an exec didn't like the way his hair was styled. (So says Fifty Year Mission)

It's uncommon but not unheard of in modern TV too. Hell, the pilot of Game of Thrones remains unaired to this day because it was apparently so bad.

And DS9 had Move Along Home.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
DS9's pilot is good enough to mostly redeem season 1 on its own. Honestly despite a few outliers the show is just consistently good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

My expectations for Discovery are pretty low but I don't think it's definitely 100% going to be bad.

Originally my expectations, or rather unfounded hopes, were enough to make me actually consider subscribing to CBS streaming for one month, after Discovery is finished, in order to binge it and then cancel.

As it stands, my current plan for enjoying it is to just hang out in here and shake my head and chuckle as y'all relay how bad it is.

But I'm willing to revert to Plan A, given enough encouragement.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I do think Discovery is going to be a commercial failure regardless of how good it is because CBS All Access is dogshit and the best we can hope for is that if it's good it'll get picked up by Netflix for the second season somehow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hell they will probably just sell the rights to Netflix once All Access goes tits up and you will get your first season like six months after it airs, they have one foot in that stirrup all ready.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pakled posted:

I do think Discovery is going to be a commercial failure regardless of how good it is because CBS All Access is dogshit and the best we can hope for is that if it's good it'll get picked up by Netflix for the second season somehow.

Well....."The Good Fight" was actually successful on All Access against all odds. The hope was that would flop which would give them reason to change their strategy. Since it was successful, it will likely embolden them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tighclops posted:

Discovery isn't literally a cult so I think comparisons to Star Citizen are a little overwrought, but for my part I've heard from someone who worked on the sets that the production is a mess, which would seem to corroborate some of the rumours about it

Wouldn't be a Star Trek reboot without it being a mess. It's almost tradition.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tighclops posted:

On a tangent, do you play Elite Dangerous? It's a fantastic SciFi game that actually exists.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

On a tangent, do you play Elite Dangerous? It's a fantastic SciFi game that actually exists.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pakled posted:

It'll be a weird one where it's a commercial success in general and internationally because of Netflix but a total dismal failure in the US because of All Access and everyone who cares just pirating it instead, and network execs won't know how to process that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I just finished that one DS9 episode where Section 31 secretly beamed Bashir into a holodeck simulation so they could find out if the Dominion had Geordie'd him into being their unwitting agent.

I don't know if I could live in the Federation, I feel like I and everyone else would be in a constant state of existential crisis, always quizzing my friends and checking little nuances to make sure someone didn't sneak me into a simulation. Every time I find my keys behind some crap on the hallway table instead of on the hook where I could swear to God I hung them last night I'd be all "oh gently caress is this someone's programming oversight, did they sneak me into a holodeck to find out some secret or get naked pictures of me"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The secret is to just roll with it and get real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
At some point you have to adopt Dr. Crusher's philosophy: 'We will start with the assumption that I am not crazy. If I am, it won't matter one way or the other.'