Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

UmOk posted:

Pretty sure there is a goon consensus that Reeve's Superman is "Gross", "Problematic" or "Creepy."

Mostly just the fourth one, really. Also Superman is an rear end in a top hat for beating up that trucker at the end of 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Mostly just the fourth one, really. Also Superman is an rear end in a top hat for beating up that trucker at the end of 2.

Also getting a lady pregnant, then making her forget that they had sex.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Superman II is funny because everything that people complain about Man of Steel happens in it also, it's just that Reeves is laughing with Lois while they murder Zod.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Superman II is funny because everything that people complain about Man of Steel happens in it also, it's just that Reeves is laughing with Lois while they murder Zod.

But you don't get it man, this superman isn't dour or grimdark, he actually smiles!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah nobody actually thinks Reeve's Superman is "gross" or "creepy", they just point out the double standard to people who have a hate boner for Snyder's Superman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah nobody actually thinks Reeve's Superman is "gross" or "creepy", they just point out the double standard to people who have a hate boner for Snyder's Superman.

Superman in Quest for Peace is kinda creepy. He does the mindrape thing again after Lois helped him decide that humans cannot be trusted to be masters of their own fate. It's a shame Nuclear Man distracted him, it would have been really funny to see Superman struggle to come up with an answer when a kid asks him "And what about world hunger?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not a double standard. The films paint two very different tones. Like you don't feel the same way about the gun fights in John Wick as you do in say...Saving Private Ryan.

Man of Steel treats Zod's death as brutal and tragic where's Superman two treats it as a victory moment. Two very, very different things.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's not a double standard. The films paint two very different tones. Like you don't feel the same way about the gun fights in John Wick as you do in say...Saving Private Ryan.

Man of Steel treats Zod's death as brutal and tragic where's Superman two treats it as a victory moment. Two very, very different things.

Yeah but in your John Wick/Saving Private Ryan example you don't have people arguing that one is bad by default and should be more like the other. Zod's death is treated as brutal and tragic and Superman wails in grief afterwards and then people say "I don't get why this weird creepy Superman didn't care about things and was a murderer". But yes they are both different and should be read differently and not compared to some platonic ideal Superman, I agree.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but in your John Wick/Saving Private Ryan example you don't have people arguing that one is bad by default and should be more like the other. Zod's death is treated as brutal and tragic and Superman wails in grief afterwards and then people say "I don't get why this weird creepy Superman didn't care about things and was a murderer". But yes they are both different and should be read differently and not compared to some platonic ideal Superman, I agree.

Also Zod's death in the 1980 film was deliberately ambiguous. Supes sneakily steals his power, crushes his hand and then drops him down a hole in the Fortress of Solitude with a smirk and a cheeky shake of his head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPFZI_E_sQ

Is he dead? Trapped? Imprisoned? We don't know, we just know that he's been dealt with and disposed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean he does vaporize the Fortress of Solitude with them in it at the end of that scene.

(but yeah from a practical standpoint he probably tossed them back into the Phantom Zone or whatever)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In retrospect, Man Of Steel gets off on the right foot by immediately having the righteous villain correctly claim that the Phantom Zone is bullshit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In retrospect, Man Of Steel gets off on the right foot by immediately having the righteous villain correctly claim that the Phantom Zone is bullshit.

His sentencing scene is one of the best bits in the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xvr_ojJWE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is one of the parts of that movie I liked, although as with most of the other parts of the movie I liked, Michael Shannon sells it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean he does vaporize the Fortress of Solitude with them in it at the end of that scene.

(but yeah from a practical standpoint he probably tossed them back into the Phantom Zone or whatever)

IIRC there's a cut sequence at the end where you see Zod et. al being loaded into police cars in the background while Luthor talks, but wasn't in the release.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

IIRC there's a cut sequence at the end where you see Zod et. al being loaded into police cars in the background while Luthor talks, but wasn't in the release.

Wait lol like at the north pole?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jor-El and Zod were both right. Superman's got two dads.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait lol like at the north pole?

US Arctic Patrol on the scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5d66AnT7s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

Human beings have preferences and aren't perfectly unbiased creatures.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Human beings have preferences and aren't perfectly unbiased creatures.

Yeah, I mean, of course, agreed

So poking fun at someone calling a movie lovely because they are biased is fine then right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Superman v Aquaman!

Momoa is pretty much the human equivalent of a labrador puppy, he just loves everyone and can't keep still :3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Superman v Aquaman!

Momoa is pretty much the human equivalent of a labrador puppy, he just loves everyone and can't keep still :3:

New Beauty and the Beast looking pretty good.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Guy A. Person posted:

There's a deleted scene with the Arctic police taking Zod away in handcuffs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Superman was a great guy in Superman 1, he just turns creepy and problematic from 2 onwards because of the loss of Donner.

Look how Richard Donner paints Kansas like a Norman Rockwell painting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUUGDRxJnFU

Kansas is loving majestic, pure, and sincere. It's the place that gave Superman his honest and pure character. Kansas is almost as much a parent to Clark as the Kents were, so that when he goes to the scary and mean Metropolis, he has his small town morals to guide him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJu372MrM8

The "Superman turns back time" gimmick was originally planned for Superman II in Mario Puzo's screenplay, but Donner felt 1 was too anti-climactic and moved 2's climax to 1 and kicked the can down the road for how to end 2. In fact if you watch the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II, they still use the "Superman turns back time" climax.

I think most of you know how Donner got kicked out by the Salkinds and they brought in Richard Lester, a British man, who decided to play up every stereotype of middle Americans being rednecks (I can't find any good youtubes of it, but if you watch II over again, watch how Kansas in II differs from Kansas in 1).

So I'm not 100% sure but I think it was under Lester's guidance that the kinda-weird-kinda-problematic "Superman gives Lois amnesia" ending got put into II.

It would also explain how we got the vengeful rear end in a top hat Superman who never got over being bullied in the past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nu3CLQm-SI

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Drifter posted:

Momoa looks like the lion from Wizard of Oz, "pud em' uup!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want to go on a weekend drinking binge with Momoa. He'd drink me under the table in less than hour I'm sure, but blackout me will have loads of fun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

Uncanny

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I had assumed Henry Cavill was the Beauty he was referring to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Widow's peak, giant muscles, cleft chin, red + blue costume with cape ....

No one's quick as Cavill!
Snaps Zod's neck like Cavill!
No one stands around moping all day like Cavill!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Richard Lester is a great director in his own right (dude did A Hard Day's Night) and his cut of Superman II is superior to Donner's. Superman III is pretty fun too, if stupid and overlong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Richard Lester is a great director in his own right (dude did A Hard Day's Night) and his cut of Superman II is superior to Donner's. Superman III is pretty fun too, if stupid and overlong.

Donner's rehearsal version of how Lois proves Clark Kent is Superman. There's build up, tension, a climax, and a twist. It shows Lois being clever and lets her redeem herself in the audience's eyes for not figuring out Superman's identity earllier. Lois' dialogue trying to cheer up Clark takes on a new meaning after the twist. It gives Reeve an opportunity to switch between two personas before our very eyes. Even before he says a word, it's clear that he's given himself away by his shoulder posture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiY_EX_aT8I

Lester's version has no build up and tension because it's just an accident that comes out of nowhere. It's also nonsensical because a person could conceivably trip on a fireplace without getting visible burns. Reeve turns around to switch identities, which requires less acting work. Lois isn't given an opportunity to be smart or redeem herself. There's only one good thing about it, which is the idea that by trying to salvage his Clark Kent identity (keeping his glasses from melting), Superman gives himself away in a bit of dramatic irony. But that's one check mark on the pro side and half a dozen marks on the con side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRbenFBoPwA

I haven't seen A Hard Day's Night so I can't comment on whether he's done good work elsewhere, but he was entirely wrong for this particular film, not only in his tone, but was completely outclassed by Donner in terms of directing skill. Keep in mind that Superman II was 3/4 done when the Salkinds kicked out Donner and brought in Lester, and Lester threw most of it away to remake almost all of it, but only with the laziest of superficial changes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

20+ years of LGBT progress, as shown by a children's television franchise.

Early 1990s:

quote:

In an announcement that will shock many of you — TO YOUR CORE — 41-year-old actor David Yost, who played the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers‘ Billy Cranston (aka Blue Ranger), has come out.

But that’s not where the story ends. Yost says he quit the show because he was harassed over his sexuality. “Creators, producers, writers, directors” all threw the F-word around at him. Yost, whose character was written out in subsequent franchise incarnations, reveals in a lengthy interview that he “walked off set one day in the middle of lunch,” a move he had been thinking about for about a week. “Continuing to work in an environment like that is really difficult. I myself was struggling with who I was, or what I was, and to be made fun of on some level, or to be stereotyped, or put into a category … I was continually being told I’m not worthy of where I am because I’m quote-unquote a gay person and I’m not supposed to be an actor and can’t be a superhero.” His co-stars, Yost says, were beckoned into producers’ offices on multiple occasions to be quizzed about his sexuality.

And after leaving the show, everything was swell? No. He spent two years trying to “pray the gay away,” had a nervous break down, checked himself into a mental hospital for five weeks, and upon his release he moved to Mexico for a year. “It frustrated me that I hated myself on such a level that I couldn’t accept myself.”

2017:

quote:

THR brings word that part of Power Rangers’ human element involves the Yellow Ranger, Trini (played by actress Becky G), coming to terms with her sexual orientation. In one scene, a character assumes Trini is having “boyfriend problems,” but quickly comes to realize that she’s having “girlfriend problems.” Director Dean Israelite explains what he thinks is one of the movie’s “pivotal” moments:

“For Trini, really she’s questioning a lot about who she is. She hasn’t fully figured it out yet. I think what’s great about that scene and what that scene propels for the rest of the movie is, ‘That’s OK.’ The movie is saying, ‘That’s OK,’ and all of the kids have to own who they are and find their tribe.”

Actress Thuy Trang played Trini in the ’90s TV series, and the character was depicted as straight, so this is new ground for the franchise, let alone for the genre as a whole. Discussion about diversity and inclusion has been ramping up in a big way in Hollywood over the past couple of years, so it’s promising to see studios including gay characters in big $100 million-plus budget blockbusters. Even Disney is joining the party; as you’ve undoubtedly heard, LeFou is gay in the new Beauty and the Beast (a reveal that could have been handled more elegantly, but at least it was well-intentioned).

Hopefully, this is just the latest step on the path toward gay characters being included in major movies often enough that it’ll become commonplace and we’ll no longer even need to write articles like this one.

Right now, though, this news sounds like it could run the risk of being a double-edged sword. I haven’t seen the new film yet, but from those quotes and the trailers we’ve seen, it seems as if this incarnation of Power Rangers is leaning into the idea of these characters being outcasts, which contrasts with the overly cheerful, carefree Rangers we saw in the TV series and 1995’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie. If this film treats Trini as an outcast solely because of her sexuality, that could add to the already-tired trope that being gay automatically means there’s something wrong with her. This means it’s the film’s job to dispel this myth. Hey, no one said social righteousness was easy.

It seems like the film has the stamp of approval from a key player in the franchise’s history. David Yost, the actor who starred as Billy, the original Blue Ranger, in the TV show and movie, is openly gay and actually ended up leaving the show because of harassment he received due to his sexual orientation. But he’s seen the new film and appreciates the way it handles Trini’s character:

“They really stepped up to the plate. I think so many people in the LGBTQI community are going to be excited to see that representation.”

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

That is just the dumbest poo poo lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

No one's quick as Cavill!
Snaps Zod's neck like Cavill!
No one stands around moping all day like Cavill!

for there's no brow as furrowed or sadly
quite troubled - for a paragon
you can ask any Zod, Jor, or Stan Lee
and they'll tell you it's Reeve they prefer to dote on

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Superman v Aquaman!

And yet his heart is tortured by the gnawing darkness in his soul. A darkness he can never reveal...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Momoa is easily one of the best celebrities ever. His instagram is him just wither working out, drinking beer, fishing or smiling with his friends and family.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

side_burned posted:

I recently watched Christopher Reeves first Superman movie. It had been ages since I saw those and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed them for a late seventies Superhero movie it does not feel dated. Christopher Reeves ability to go from Superman to Clark Kent is really good; Hackman's Luther is bit campy but he really embraces the mortal man battling agod with nothing but his wits aspect of the character, everything else is very solid.

The child abuse scene is uncomfortable. The inner monologue would fit better as a musical number like it was originally supposed to be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Donner's rehearsal version of how Lois proves Clark Kent is Superman. There's build up, tension, a climax, and a twist. It shows Lois being clever and lets her redeem herself in the audience's eyes for not figuring out Superman's identity earllier. Lois' dialogue trying to cheer up Clark takes on a new meaning after the twist. It gives Reeve an opportunity to switch between two personas before our very eyes. Even before he says a word, it's clear that he's given himself away by his shoulder posture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiY_EX_aT8I

Lester's version has no build up and tension because it's just an accident that comes out of nowhere. It's also nonsensical because a person could conceivably trip on a fireplace without getting visible burns. Reeve turns around to switch identities, which requires less acting work. Lois isn't given an opportunity to be smart or redeem herself. There's only one good thing about it, which is the idea that by trying to salvage his Clark Kent identity (keeping his glasses from melting), Superman gives himself away in a bit of dramatic irony. But that's one check mark on the pro side and half a dozen marks on the con side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRbenFBoPwA

I haven't seen A Hard Day's Night so I can't comment on whether he's done good work elsewhere, but he was entirely wrong for this particular film, not only in his tone, but was completely outclassed by Donner in terms of directing skill. Keep in mind that Superman II was 3/4 done when the Salkinds kicked out Donner and brought in Lester, and Lester threw most of it away to remake almost all of it, but only with the laziest of superficial changes.

Donner's version is loving stupid, it assumes Superman wouldn't be able to tell if someone shot a blank at him and not a real bullet. Lester's is great because it shows how Superman goes too far in his put-on clumsiness that he uses to convince everyone - especially Lois- that he isn't Superman because he's nervous about being cooped up in a romantic suite with her and he ends up giving away the game. The build-up co,es from the earlier scene where Lois throws herself into Niagara Falls to try and catch Clark out - one of the best scenes in the movie, which is also missing from the Donner cut, in favor of a much lamer scene where he saves a little boy that falls in.

The Donner version also misses the great Bond-esque-opening with the Eiffel Tower, "General, would you care to step outside?", and it repeats the drat ending from the first movie. It's useful only as a curiosity.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 21, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Donner's version is loving stupid, it assumes Superman wouldn't be able to tell if someone shot a blank at him and not a real bullet. Lester's is great because it shows how Superman goes too far in his put-on clumsiness that he uses to convince everyone - especially Lois- that he isn't Superman because he's nervous about being cooped up in a romantic suite with her and he ends up giving away the game.

So Superman should be so hyper-aware that he realizes when a blank is shot at him but not aware enough to not trip into the mother loving fire that is right in the center of the room

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Donner's version is loving stupid, it assumes Superman wouldn't be able to tell if someone shot a blank at him and not a real bullet. Lester's is great because it shows how Superman goes too far in his put-on clumsiness that he uses to convince everyone - especially Lois- that he isn't Superman because he's nervous about being cooped up in a romantic suite with her and he ends up giving away the game. The build-up co,es from the earlier scene where Lois throws herself into Niagara Falls to try and catch Clark out - one of the best scenes in the movie, which is also missing from the Donner cut, in favor of a much lamer scene where he saves a little boy that falls in.

The Donner version also misses the great Bond-esque-opening with the Eiffel Tower, "General, would you care to step outside?", and it repeats the drat ending from the first movie. It's useful only as a curiosity.

Director's cuts I know of that are worse than the finished movie:

- Donnerman

- Payback

- The Hobbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

So Superman should be so hyper-aware that he realizes when a blank is shot at him but not aware enough to not trip into the mother loving fire that is right in the center of the room

Yes. Like I said, he trips because he's play-acting too hard at being Clark Kent. Making it a character moment as opposed to a lame "gotcha" that doesn't even make sense.

dont even fink about it posted:

Director's cuts I know of that are worse than the finished movie:

- Donnerman

- Payback

- The Hobbit

I dunno if anyone cares about this one anymore, but the Donnie Darko director's cut is insanely bad, holy poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread